2019 Poker run gooder or die thread

AUS-97HORN

agree- he got too greedy, and I wonder if its because he had to share the funds with his collaborator and that person forced him to keep playing because they wanted a bigger payoff?
I mean shit, all he had to do was play suited connectors, pocket pairs, any suited ace or king, plus any 2 broadway cards and play those hands reasonably, plus make a bad raise on the river every so often so his river win rate wasnt absolutely perfect for his holdings.
also, he probably needed to make a few "throw away" moves, like that epic AK vs AK pre-flop hand where he had 5-6 and called off $700.  Since he knew all the cards discarded and that both opponents had AK, he was something like a 54% fav.   SHOVE there, yes you lose half the time but at least you can claim you made a move because you didnt think they were that strong, and if you win, well thats poker and it doesnt look anywhere near as suspicious, and a big loss there helps offset the view that hes a god. 
plus he really needed to raise/ fold several hands where he had 3rd or 4th nuts to show that he wasnt in pure god mode.  that 88 vs TT hand where it went 99T- on the flop (it was checked through) turn was an X (small bet called by Postle)-8 on the river and he just check called a $200 river bet.  dude you just make 4th nuts on the river on a very passive hand, you have to fucking raise there, even if its just a min raise, you cant just check call on that board where every fucking draw just hit and you have a highly under-repped hand.
I am betting he had been cheating on the live feed for at least a year or 2 back, and he just felt like it hadnt been noticed before, so it wasnt ever gonna get noticed?

He did it for 14 months. He apparently bets sports and I wouldn’t be surprised if he was on the hook to someone.

Imagine committing a crime several dozen times and each time is permanently posted on YouTube for the world to see.

17 hours ago, po elvis said:

I would have the advantage if I knew that you knew my cards. once you know that i know that you know my cards, i lose that advantage if you are smart enough to take advantage of that.

say before this all came out you had watched all of the streams and knew that Postle was cheating and knew all of the cards. you could definitely play against him where you would have an advantage against him. 

Playing in a $590 tourney w $60 rebuy.

I’ve run 5k stack up to 50k. At end of this break I can buy 10k more for $120.

Should I?

First place is $20k high roller seat. 2nd and maybe 3rd are $5k main event seats.

48 players, down to 38.

Blinds will be 500/1000/1000

I usually base it on how it's going to affect me vs the current table.

if everybody has 10k-20k and you can add on 10k and everyone else is doing it I probably do it.

if everyone has 10k-50k and I have 50k and I'll still have more than most of the table if I pass, I'll pass. 

It’s $590 for 5k, and everyone immediately pays $60 more for 5k more. Then at end of 6 levels you can buy 10k for $120. I just did the first $60.

FWIW I didn’t pay $590, but rather won a $120 satellite (a ticket I also won, and paid $60 in 3 addons in it). So all in, I’m in for $120 total and now 25 players away from a $20k ticket

117k chips now

• Like 1

played 2 sessions.   first was yest.  bought in for $200.  very first hand I get 78dd utg. limp, Mr Lee to my direct left makes it $12, 2 others including BB  call, so do I. 

flop is Td-9d,3x.   

BB only has $148 total. He bets out $50.  I shove.  folds around to him.  he SNAP calls with 96o.   I hit a 7 on the turn but blank river.  He immediately gets up and leaves the table.   

I addon for $200.  3 hands later when I am Button, there are several limps, I have AKcc, I make it $15,   BB shoves for $97 total. folds to me, I call, hes got JJ. 

Board comes QQQTx.

lose both 50% ers.  I dont rebuy, eventually get back up to $275, and leave down $125. 

Today session has stories.

I am going to repeat an actual conversation that happened between 2 players at my table that I had already targeted, and played several good hands against (will list those later).  What sucks is if I had heard this discussion before I played against them in the earlier hands I would have made a fuckton more, because calling them blithering  poker idiots doesnt even properly describe them. 

idiot 1 and idiot 2 actually have the following action/ conversation on a 7-4-4-4-9 board.   idiot 1 is a 55+ y.o. wifebeater-wearing meathead.  Idiot 2 is a 78+ year old semi-senile fuck with no teeth (not kidding). 

not sure of pre-flop and flop action, but somehow they are last 2 in the hand on the river. Idiot 1 checks.

Idiot 2 puts out  4 $25 chips that end up in a straight line .  it folds to idiot 1 who asks what the bet is.... duh man its 4 x 25.   Idiot 2 thinks that means Idiot 1 called so idiot 2 shows his hand of 9-7.    Idiot 1 hasnt acted yet, so he just got free info. 

Idiot 1 then asks the following question to the dealer "does my kicker play if we both have the same full house?" Dealer (to his credit) says he cant answer.   

eventually idiot 1 calls with 9-5, and they chop.... except idiot 2 tries to claim hes got the better hand because he had both the 4 full of 7s and 4 full of 9s.... that took a full 2mins of explanation to get it sort of understood (it still wasnt understood). 

prior to this hand Idiot 2  got involved in a pot with the kid directly to my right.  both had around $325 (kid covered)

on a 2-3-4-9-J board (no flush). Kid check raised the flop, bet out heavily on the turn, and then shoves river.   Idiot 2  calls.  Kid shows 22 for a set.  Idiot 2 shows A6o  and honestly thought he had a straight (he didnt think he had A5- he thought there was a 5 somewhere on the board).  I point this out because he obviously pays off the kid, and you could have written that off as a hand mis-read, but combined with the first story. you know hes a moron.    Idiot 2 rebought for $300  at least 3 times while I was playing. 

I sat down in the session with several good players and the idiots with $200.

first real hand to talk about against idiot 2 was me being SB with 9-7ss.  UTG (good player) makes it $12, at least 4 callers, including idiot 2 in LP.   

Flop comes  5h-7h-2s.  I bet out $20. everyone calls. turn is As.

I check, and it checks around. river is 6s.   

I check  (mistake I know),  checks to idiot 2 who bets out $50. and I just call here.  (another mistake, but I thought if I just call here, it might allow one of the other players to be priced in to call with a weak ace or straight).   everyone else folds and idiot 2 has  J7o so I take it down with the flush.  If I had raised to $110 or so, I am pretty sure he calls there, he didnt like to fold. 

I did get another $50 off of idiot 2 when I nailed another bomb pot, but clearly left money on the table by not getting paid.

hand against idiot 1 happened a bit later, same good UTG player makes it $15, 5 callers, I am BB, so I call with Q9ss.   flop comes As-6s-8x. I check, UTG bets $25. 3 of the callers call, I obviously call with 2nd nut draw. 

3s on the turn.    SB leads out for $35.  I take a while and just call. only idiot 1 calls of the rest. 

river is a blank.  SB checks, and this time I bet out $100.  I pretty much get snap called by idiot 1, (he only had another $75 behind) SB folds. 

He shows an Ace and mucks. my flush is good.    He loses the $75 in the next few hands and leaves.   Idiot 2 kept on playing but all the regulars moved to the seats that opened to his left. so I decided to leave because while I was in position on him more than half the hands, it meant going to the flop for $15+ many hands.

a little run good finally and leave after 2.5 hours up $370 this session.  Nice, but I am still down quite a bit on the last few run-bads. 

Lurch????

Still depressed. Ran QQ in SB into KK in BB.

To make matters worse, there was confusion about if he had me covered so I had to sit at the table for 15 mins waiting for the floor to look at cameras to figure it out, the whole time staring at my QQ next to his KK. Just sick.

Still depressed. Ran QQ in SB into KK in BB.

To make matters worse, there was confusion about if he had me covered so I had to sit at the table for 15 mins waiting for the floor to look at cameras to figure it out, the whole time staring at my QQ next to his KK. Just sick.

Puuuuuuke. 2015 River main, down to 32 players, I have a top 5 stack. Another big stack visibly tilts when he folds the previous hand, then opens the next hand. I have KK and get it in against him, he AA natch.

GF had left to get me a soda, I’m cruising, she comes back to the scene of both hands face up and dealer counting down stacks. They had to count it 3 times to verify that he did have me covered. Same thing, having to just sit there and stare at the KK and AA. I was described in the live reporting as “visibly shaken” hahaha. #ThatsTrue

some positive action last 4 visits had a +420, +305, +245, +110 run. only real hand worth mentioning isnt even that worthy of a story because I had JcJx vs KK, where I made it $17 pre from the SB, he called from BB, everyone else folded.  flops is T high, with 2 clubs, I bet $20 he called.  turn is a low non-club,  I bet $30, he made it $65 (with only around $80 behind), I shove and he snap calls, I ask if he wants to run it twice (honestly thinking he was on a flush draw), and he emphatically says nope just once... bink, J on river. 

However, I do have a holy shit run hotter than hell story from the last session.   The seat to my direct right is open, I knocked a guy out for his last $40, and in comes a semi-reg who buys in for $300.  The very first hand is a bomb pot.  He makes it  $35 to go, gets 3 callers.  turn cards come out, and he bets out $100 (turns out most of the players calling him know him and hes a hyper aggressive player). gets called, river comes out and he shoves, gets snap called by 2 of them.  shows a runner-runner nut straight on the top board, and runner runner top 2 pair on the bottom board. He bet with nothing on the flop, caught top pair on 1 board with an inside draw on the turn, and rivered the money on both boards.  scoop.

So run hot is  sitting with almost $1150 after 1 hand. both guys rebuy for $300.   Runhot is in EP in the very next hand and makes it $20 to go, gets 3-4 callers. 

cant remember the flop but runhot  bets out $75, 1 caller, and 1 guy shoves for $125 total, folds around, he calls, other guy folds and runhot shows AA, and its good. 

about 1 rotation later  Run hot is in EP again, makes it $17, gets 5 callers (including me- T9cc) and both of the guys who rebought for $300 (they are now up to around $450 each). flop comes all red AK6,   SB bets out $50, runhot calls, LP (one of the rebuyers) makes it $125, SB calls, and this guy shoves, he gets snap called by both players... they both flip over AK, hes got 66, and holds. 

I do win a $100 pot off of runhot with decent semi bluff with top pair, and a combo straight flush draw. but within 2-3 hands of playing against me, he calls the $30 pre flop bet of the other player who rebought.  I would guess the guy is sitting around $400.   Flop comes A high all diamonds.  Runhot bets $50, other player shoves, runhot snap calls with 9Tdd.   other player mucks his hand immediately????? and that puts runhot sitting at around $2600.... all of this btw happened in less than an hour.   when I left about 30 mins later, he had 5 stacks of green in front, another 2+ in red as well. 

typically take $1000 to card room and buy in / top off between $200-$400. If I lose the $1000 I leave. I play till I get tired, all the fish leave or I'm really happy with what I'm up and would like to book it.

buy in mainly depends on who is at the table and how much they have. If it's one of the guys that doesn't mind getting all in preflop and he has more than $400 I'll buy in for that. If it's a bunch of nits I buy in for $200. 

I'm doing a startup right now and been working my ass off so haven't played in over a month. Need to get back up there. Game definitely got harder as time wore on. Too many sheep got scalped and returned to hold em. Nothing is worse than a table of tight players. 

• Like 1

everyone has the suck out stories, or the sucking out stories... but how many times do you have a "I got sucked out on, but saved an assload of money by not doing anything" stories?

I decided to straddle for $5- no reason, just trying to get the table to get more action....

1 LP call, both blinds call to me with Ac4x.  I normally raise here, but I thought I would see if I could catch an Ace and since I didnt raise, get paid a bit more. 

Flop comes Kx-5x-2c. Checks to me I bet $15, LP calls, blinds fold.

Turn comes Yahtzee-  3c.  I bet out $20, and yet again, LP just calls.  

I am about to blast the turn for probably $60 or so.....  

except the 9c hits. 

Now, the way this has played, I am not scared of the flush- in fact its a perfect moment for me to feign that I am scared of the flush to induce a bet that I can then check raise, esp since I am holding the Ac.

So I check.  LP looks at his hand... acts like hes about to bet... and then he just gives up and checks.... 

So I say... "I' win",  and the LP almost mucks his hand when he sees mine.....

except he looks carefully and finally flips over K5cc.... LOL. 

Holy shit. 

Flops top 2, just calls (which makes sense) and he doesnt even bother raising me on the turn when hes holding an even better draw? and then gets there on the river, and just checks???.....

WOW.

He would have almost assuredly stacked me if he bets there.   And before you ask- He knew he had the flush, he was seriously convinced that I had the A high flush

He later claimed it was because he was playing terrified (despite having a $1k plus stack) due to multiple massive suck outs he had taken throughout the day.

I was grateful for that.   ended up losing $80 on that session, but I could have just as easily been felted right then and there.

Dominik Nitsche started the 250,000 WSOPE final day as chip leader with 30% of the chips in play and 7 left. He got AQs, AQ and AK in the first hour and lost all 3 allins and bubbled(only top 5 played). I know the dude is rich and fortunate but damn that’s rough.

https://www.pokernews.com/tours/wsope/2019-world-series-of-poker-europe/event-4-250000-super-high-roller/

his hands: AQs v KK

AQo v KK

AK v QQ

Ran in to 3 monsters where he HAD to call and ... fin.

Edited by Irieguy

Had a fun one in our local 1/2 game last weekend...

Was running hot as shit and had tripled up from $300 to over $900 in the first 30 minutes. Caught cowboys against a guy who I had wiped out a few hands before and then rebought. Raised to 12 pre flop and he’s the only caller.

Flop comes KxJ and I check in first position and he follows my lead. Turn comes J and I check again, then he bets the pot. I call and we go to a nothing river whereby I bet the pot and he goes all in. With a huge stack I don’t even hesitate and call, only for him to turn over JJ.

Fucking hand took the wind out of my sails and I didn’t get a hand for the next 3 hours, eventually bleeding out... good times!

How much is bluffing part of your PLO strategy? especially in hi/lo it seems like someone always has the nuts and bluffing would be quite difficult without nut blockers. Position doesn’t seem incredibly important

Is it just very ABC poker with an emphasis on bet sizing and selective starting hand choices?

about 0% of the time, if not less.

With 4 cards you really never know where anyone is at. People will call you down with 3/4/5th nuts all the time so it just doesn't pay off to do it. The only time I'll do it is heads up when I got a good read based on their body language and bet sizing that they missed, and that happens less than 1 time per night.

It is really funny to see hold em players that are used to pushing people around come play big O. They will lose 2-3 buy-ins before they figure out you can't bluff, king high flushes are not good very often and if you don't have the nuts or pretty damn close to the nuts you're probably not winning the hand.

• Like 1

and yes, it's a lot of ABC poker and bet sizing and hand selection is important.

But by far the most important thing is table selection. Playing with a table full of nits is not a winning strategy.

One night I went up and the table was all good players. I ended up with nut/nut twice and was up $1000 in less than two hours and got up and left.

1) even after two hours of play, I was still surprised EVERY TIME that third card got pitched to me
2) I have no clue how to cleanly look at the four cards
3) I’m surprised how shitty I am at remembering what four cards I JUST LOOKED AT
4) the preflop pot sizing rule (as I understand it) is weird
5) much respect to dealers that are keeping tabs of pot size
6) wild having two pair or even a set and thinking you’re fucked already on the turn
7) it was totally fine having two of us at $300, several in the $500-1000 range and three guys with $5k on the table. It’s not as if the deep stacks would get much value in bullying, I guess
8) “Wow!!” hands at PLO are 1 pair
9) seeing the board pair is an instant action killer
10) the table was very engaged. Not sure how much of that was the game vs just the guys that happened to be playing, but I enjoyed the banter

It’s not easy to look at 4 cards. I haven’t really mastered it either. I fan them out slightly when face down and try to peel them up together to look at them all at once. Have to get my head down lower to do it properly.

As to remembering, also a challenge for me. I repeat the cards in my head over and over and sometimes that works well enough.

Yes props to the dealers. At Winstar, there are at least two regular dealers who are really good at it and they take over the rotation at PLO for other dealers who want to skip it.

welcome to the darkside Lurch. Wait till you play Big O. You think looking at and remembering 4 cards is tough, try 5.

Played for the first time in a few months tonight. Played 5.5 hours and lost $100, but it felt like a win because I started out with $400, topped off twice for $100, dwindled down to $200 and ran it up to $500.

Had A8642 on a AAK86 board. Old lady next to me had KKT53. She keeps arguing that she should scoop because she has Aces and Kings and I just have Aces and eights and my ace doesn't play for the low so hers is better. Another hand she flopped quads and just called the other players raises all the way down. 

6 hours ago, blacklab said:

Had A8642 on a AAK86 board. Old lady next to me had KKT53. She keeps arguing that she should scoop because she has Aces and Kings and I just have Aces and eights and my ace doesn't play for the low so hers is better.

Had a similar issue but with tiny stakes yesterday.  Babaganoush (NOT A NEWBIE-) makes it $5 from MP,   I look down at 44 in the SB, call, along with 3 others.

entire board gets checked around until river on a QTT flop.    5 Turn   and T River.  Babaganoush  bets out $11, and hes a bluffy spewy player, and I think I am good to anything but a 5, so I call.  everyone else folds, and he then REFUSES to show his cards.   After the I called you convo, he says hes got  a  9  (didnt say Ace9, just 9).   Then shows, just the 9.   He smirks at me and wont show the 2nd card (no idea why).

so tell him its no good and he needs to muck.... AND HE DOES IT.  That shocked me, I expected him to flash trash, see my boat and fold.  Now I dont have to show here, but I know this clown is gonna be a problem if I muck my hand.  So I show the 44.  Guys to my right and left see it, dealer sees it (hes already grabbing the cards because the last player mucked), and calls out that I have a boat. 

And then the clown starts claiming that we should have split the pot because we were both playing the board.  Hes getting legit pissed because he thinks we split the pot.  Dealer tells him I had a boat, and he then claimed he should have won, blah, blah.    Fucker is still talking about it 5-6 hands later when the dealer changes tables.