2019 Poker run gooder or die thread

AUS-97HORN

We’re told we will play 4 more hands.

1st hand UTG+1 makes it 6500. Folds to me w 78ss in BB. I call.

3h4d5s. I check, he makes it 10k. I don’t know. I fold.

2nd hand, new UTG+1 and BTN limp. I shove 65k w JJ. UTG+1 tank calls and barely has me covered. BTN folds.

UTG+1 flips 88.

8 in the window and we don’t catch up.

Stupid fucking game.

ouch.

Just another ho hum win $150 at app tonight. There was a $5/$5 big o running with a couple of whales but a seat never opened. Really wanted to take a shot with the money I had in my pocket. The guy ahead of me at the cage cashing out got the seat right before I had a chance at it. He cashed out for over $10k, but I'm not sure what he started with.

17 hours ago, blacklab said:

ouch.

Just another ho hum win $150 at app tonight. There was a $5/$5 big o running with a couple of whales but a seat never opened. Really wanted to take a shot with the money I had in my pocket. The guy ahead of me at the cage cashing out got the seat right before I had a chance at it. He cashed out for over $10k, but I'm not sure what he started with.

Holy shit! I knew they were playing some big hands over there, but didn't know that was going on all night. Right after I sat down one table over, there were a couple of hands with multiple all ins with about 3-4 grand on the table.

Looks like the Houston clubs are getting rid of time charges and moving to a daily club access fee model ranging from $40-$60. Good deal for grinders, not so good for short stack, hit and run players.

Mint Poker, the 1st “legal” club in Houston, has come up with perhaps the worst business model I could think of. $500/mo. with no door or time fees. No daily option. What few players they get will be regulars and grinders nitting it up with each other. There will be no fresh fish. Goodbye Mint.

12 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Mint Poker, the 1st “legal” club in Houston, has come up with perhaps the worst business model I could think of. $500/mo. with no door or time fees. No daily option. What few players they get will be regulars and grinders nitting it up with each other. There will be no fresh fish. Goodbye Mint.

Wow, that is terrible.

12 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

but...why?

On 5/16/2019 at 10:18 AM, TonyTexas said:

magine......
Playing Poker 24 Hours a Day 7 Days a Week 720 Hours a Month For Just 69 Cents an Hour!

or... drive 2 hours back & forth to Lake Charles,  assuming 20miles/ gallon, thats like $36 bucks roundtrip.     you can do the trip 13 or 14 times a month, spend the same amount, and not have to worry about getting raided

22 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

or... drive 2 hours back & forth to Lake Charles,  assuming 20miles/ gallon, thats like $36 bucks roundtrip.     you can do the trip 13 or 14 times a month, spend the same amount, and not have to worry about getting raided

Well yeah, but every pot you drag in LC is also raked.

Notched a $1000 win at big o last night.

Game was nuts. 3 dudes who, if they were in a hand were potting all the time. Guy that owed me money said he'd bring it to me so I only took $600 to the room. Bought in for $300, lost it, bought in for 300 more worked it down to $100. Contemplated going to atm to get money to reload,  guy shows up. End up in a 5 way all in and scoop a $600 pot, he taps me on the shoulder and gives me the money. He comes 5 minutes earlier and I would have had won $1500 on that hand.

There was a guy who no one had seen before playing. He ended up dropping around $10k. He started on fire going from $500 to $5000 in less than an hour.

He insisted on red chips from the cage rather than just getting black chips from the table and exchanging them for red chips from someone else. This resulted in a ton of red chips on the table, and did slow the game down a little. A couple of players were berating him about it and I wanted to punch them in the face. Why the fuck would you berate a person that is funding the entire table? If that wasn't enough one of them complained to him after a raise, saying something like "why are you raising so much, you're ruining the game", the fish responded nicely saying to play your cards and I'll play mine. Dickhead responds well you've dumped $10k so you don't know what you're doing and the fish responded so what I can afford it.

Really sucks because if he had a good time I'm sure he'd be back to dump more. I doubt he ever comes back.

59 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Notched a $1000 win at big o last night.

Game was nuts. 3 dudes who, if they were in a hand were potting all the time. Guy that owed me money said he'd bring it to me so I only took $600 to the room. Bought in for $300, lost it, bought in for 300 more worked it down to $100. Contemplated going to atm to get money to reload,  guy shows up. End up in a 5 way all in and scoop a $600 pot, he taps me on the shoulder and gives me the money. He comes 5 minutes earlier and I would have had won $1500 on that hand.

There was a guy who no one had seen before playing. He ended up dropping around $10k. He started on fire going from $500 to $5000 in less than an hour.

He insisted on red chips from the cage rather than just getting black chips from the table and exchanging them for red chips from someone else. This resulted in a ton of red chips on the table, and did slow the game down a little. A couple of players were berating him about it and I wanted to punch them in the face. Why the fuck would you berate a person that is funding the entire table? If that wasn't enough one of them complained to him after a raise, saying something like "why are you raising so much, you're ruining the game", the fish responded nicely saying to play your cards and I'll play mine. Dickhead responds well you've dumped $10k so you don't know what you're doing and the fish responded so what I can afford it.

Really sucks because if he had a good time I'm sure he'd be back to dump more. I doubt he ever comes back.

Who were the two players being assholes?

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

no

terry is a 60yo or so guy. wife usually sits behind him and occasionally plays

veronica is a decent looking 30 year old, dates a guy named ed that also plays a lot

Ed and Veronica play at The Lodge sometimes. She plays pretty well, but tilts really badly, and is a big big big fish berater when she's tilting.

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

I mean, playing thousands in red is super annoying for both player and dealer, but yep, amazing how people just HATE money.

Was dealing a 1/2 game the other night, clueless guy sits down and starts just bombing it for $20-50 pre almost every hand. He is on the roller coaster, winning big pots, then dumping it all back, and he's having fun. The guy opens to $22, lady jams $98, another guy cold calls the $98, opener calls also. Ends up showing down 35o and wins on a 2-2-2-4-6 runout. Half the table is just bitching at the guy, and 3 people got a table change because "this isn't poker".

I mean, how can ya win if guys are calling 49 bigs pre with 53o amirite???  

• Like 2

I mean, playing thousands in red is super annoying for both player and dealer, but yep, amazing how people just HATE money.
Was dealing a 1/2 game the other night, clueless guy sits down and starts just bombing it for $20-50 pre almost every hand. He is on the roller coaster, winning big pots, then dumping it all back, and he's having fun. The guy opens to $22, lady jams $98, another guy cold calls the $98, opener calls also. Ends up showing down 35o and wins on a 2-2-2-4-6 runout. Half the table is just bitching at the guy, and 3 people got a table change because "this isn't poker".
I mean, how can ya win if guys are calling 49 bigs pre with 53o amirite???  

These are the people that play $2-4 limit here in effectively a closed group just to win high hand jackpots. They’re just trading each other their money and paying rake. Bizzaroworld

another night another nice win.

got to app at 8 and big o table was full. Sat down at hold em to kill time. Start with $200 donk off about $70 then get AK. Flop KT5, I bet, guy next to me goes all in. Since it was only $100 for me I call. Turn A river 8 and he flips over K5. Woohoo suck out.

Win a few more pots and I have around $500 in front of me. Get KQ on the button and raise to $20 and get 3 callers. Flop JT7. Checks to me and I bet $25 and everyone calls. Turn A. That's a bingo. Checks to me, I bet $100 and get one caller. River 8 and other guy leads out for $100, and I'm assuming we're chopping. I jam and he tanks and then calls and excitedly says "strait!", and once again I'm sure we're chopping. He turns over 96. He racks up and leaves pissed. Other guys at table said that was the only hand he had played in the last hour. Apparently he had won a few big pots and then shut it down. I'm sure he thought I had aces or jacks. 

So up $800 I head over to big o. Nothing very exciting but get up $260 and decide to call it a night.

• Like 1

I don't mind the betsizing this deep. Playing $500 deep, we have very few hands that want to stack off on this board. Maybe only exactly JJ and TT, depending on if we are going $20 on the button with 77 or JT. Getting $500 in with, say, AA on JT7 at 1/2 is going to be a hugely losing proposition against all but the very worst opponents. (I'm assuming this was a 1/2 game based on us starting with $200, but same applies to a slightly lesser extent at 1/3).

So we have to protect our range by sizing down our bets, because otherwise we are bloating the pot to the point where the bets are too large. We also don't hate any turn cards other than exactly an 8, so we aren't needing to end the hand early. Also, with this specific hand, if we bomb it, if someone raises, they might just jam, and we may not have the equity to call off. Bet-folding KQ on JT7 sucks. 

On the other hand, if we are $200 deep, we can bet $55 into $80 on the flop, and if we get one call, we can jam $125 into $190 which is a good sizing, and we can take it with lots of hands (this one, AA, AJ, etc.) since getting those hands in here is not an error if playing $200 instead of $500 (of course against certain opponents, we have to fold AA or AJ to a flop c/r here even with $200, since they literally never do that with one pair).

I’m generally c-betting around half pot on the flop. A little more on a wet board when I need to ensure that anyone chasing is overpaying for it. I’d fire $45 here.

Also, I would be cbetting here as a semi bluff, rather than for value as blacklab seems to be. I’m happy to take down an $80 pot w K high, and if I do get called I have a ton of outs that could pay handsomely.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dirtonia said:

Where y’all play in the greater Chicagoland area?

I’m in a suburb NW of Chicago regularly for work. I went to the Horseshoe in Hammond, IN last night, but it was a bit of a hike in traffic.

Harrah's in Joliet I believe has a poker room.

1 hour ago, October sky said:

I am flying in Friday afternoon and will definitely unload 6 clips if I have to. There is just gonna be so much value in this tournament. 

hopefully you and Sooner end up on the final table table heads up against each other.

2 hours ago, October sky said:

Over/under of 20000 for the big50?

I think that's going to be close to the number. I think one issue is that the structure is good enough that people won't bust fast enough to open seats to really churn people through on the Sat/Sun flights. Just dunno if the Thu/Fri flights will be as full. Playing Thu flight, you are committed to 8 days if you make the FT. That's a long time to commit to a $500 tourney. I'm anticipating some pissed off people who fly out Sat to play on Sun and either get shut out or are in a massive alternate pile and get in around dinner.

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

hopefully you and Sooner end up on the final table table heads up against each other.

Yes please. Yeah, sky, feel free to holler when you're out there, man. LFG!

4 hours ago, October sky said:

I am flying in Friday afternoon and will definitely unload 6 clips if I have to. There is just gonna be so much value in this tournament. 

Are you late regging Friday?  I thought I saw only one re-entry per flight.  Maybe I misread.  

Back at app last night. Big o table was full so they started a second. I was seated with 4 people who weren't very good. Guy that dumped $10k and insisted on red chips from the cage was one of them. I was really surprised to see him back. He slowed way way down and only dumped a few thousand while I was there. Turned $300 into $1100 in less than 30 minutes. Then went on a card dead streak and my stack whittled down to $600. Got moved to the big table and a few hands in was dealt AcAs3d4dTc. Bunch of people see the flop which was Ad2d7c. So I got the nut low and a set of aces. Woohoo. Other guy pots it and two of us call. Turn 5d giving me a steel wheel. Other guy leads out $150, one call, I call. River Ks, other guy bets $150 again, other guy calls, I go all in, call, call. First guy had KdTd, second 3x4x. I end up with 3/4ths of a $2000 pot. Guy who had KdTd is kind of a grumpy old asshole so I felt so so good to double up through him. Play two more orbits and head out, up $1200 for the night.

From 4/5 till now I'm averaging 147 BB/hour. I'm sure it's sustainable.

If any of you want to buy me a beer I'll gladly sit down with you and go through big o strategy, I'm telling you it's a fucking gold mine right now and I'm not sure when it's going to run out of gold. There's about 10 regulars at app that range from rocks to crazy chip spewers. Along with the regs every night there's 2-4 new people at the table that end up dumping their money. There's a couple of big fish that show up and and once word spreads that they are playing all the sharks all show up and get on the list. Once the fish leave and it's all rocks and nits left I just get up and leave.

There was one night that it was all rocks and nits when I showed up. I bought in for $300, played 2 hands in 2 hours, hit nut nut on both, got called down on both and cashed out after 2 hours up $1000. They were pissed but fuck em. 

20 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

I think that's going to be close to the number. I think one issue is that the structure is good enough that people won't bust fast enough to open seats to really churn people through on the Sat/Sun flights. Just dunno if the Thu/Fri flights will be as full. Playing Thu flight, you are committed to 8 days if you make the FT. That's a long time to commit to a $500 tourney. I'm anticipating some pissed off people who fly out Sat to play on Sun and either get shut out or are in a massive alternate pile and get in around dinner.

Yes please. Yeah, sky, feel free to holler when you're out there, man. LFG!

I 100 percent agree Sunday is gonna be a clusterfuck. Not only will it include everyone who didn’t make a day 2 from the first three flights, but also all the people who busted day 2 of flight A and B and want to play the event again. I am getting my debit card approved on bravo app just so I can sign up for the next day as soon as I get knocked out. 

On 5/24/2019 at 9:58 PM, blacklab said:

Back at app last night. Big o table was full so they started a second. I was seated with 4 people who weren't very good. Guy that dumped $10k and insisted on red chips from the cage was one of them. I was really surprised to see him back. He slowed way way down and only dumped a few thousand while I was there. Turned $300 into $1100 in less than 30 minutes. Then went on a card dead streak and my stack whittled down to $600. Got moved to the big table and a few hands in was dealt AcAs3d4dTc. Bunch of people see the flop which was Ad2d7c. So I got the nut low and a set of aces. Woohoo. Other guy pots it and two of us call. Turn 5d giving me a steel wheel. Other guy leads out $150, one call, I call. River Ks, other guy bets $150 again, other guy calls, I go all in, call, call. First guy had KdTd, second 3x4x. I end up with 3/4ths of a $2000 pot. Guy who had KdTd is kind of a grumpy old asshole so I felt so so good to double up through him. Play two more orbits and head out, up $1200 for the night.

If any of you want to buy me a beer I'll gladly sit down with you and go through big o strategy, I'm telling you it's a fucking gold mine right now and I'm not sure when it's going to run out of gold. There's about 10 regulars at app that range from rocks to crazy chip spewers. Along with the regs every night there's 2-4 new people at the table that end up dumping their money. There's a couple of big fish that show up and and once word spreads that they are playing all the sharks all show up and get on the list. Once the fish leave and it's all rocks and nits left I just get up and leave.

There was one night that it was all rocks and nits when I showed up. I bought in for $300, played 2 hands in 2 hours, hit nut nut on both, got called down on both and cashed out after 2 hours up $1000. They were pissed but fuck em. 

good job catching the flush wheel, imo

I’ll take you up on that my dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great example of the type of player that just happened. 

I have As5s flop 2s8s9c. I bet, everyone calls. Turn 3s giving me nut flush and second best low.  I pot, one guy calls. River J, I go all in guy calls. Turns over 442JK. No idea what he was thinking. 

and of course that guy dumps all his chips to other people and leaves. Table was nothing but rocks and nits and I never won another good pot. Kept getting nut low along with 2-4 others and chopping. Lost $290 over 4 hours. Moving back to the mean.

Question for the board about a hand I played yesterday. I was out of position with a set of Aces and didn't know if I should check or bet the river.

I was playing a $1/$2 game. Seven players. I had about $850 and the villain had about $250. Everyone limps to me in the small blind and I look down at A hearts A diamonds. I raise to $22 and the UTG limper calls. UTG had been at the table about ten minutes and hadn't played a hand.

Flop was 5 diamonds A clubs Q diamonds. I bet $20 hoping to get called with an A, Q, K-J or J-10, or a flush draw. UTG calls.

Turn was 6 hearts. I bet $50 and get called.

River was 4 clubs. Villain had about $160 left and the pot was about $200. I really didn't know what to do or what would call me.

I ended up betting $135 and he quickly folded. Should I have just gone all in? Should I have bet $50 hoping to get called by a Q or maybe a A? Should I have checked and hoped for a bluff?