2019 Poker run gooder or die thread

AUS-97HORN

15 hours ago, dirtonia said:

What was the final entry number at? Heard it was over 26k and they were turning folks down.

They haven't officially announced yet, but yeah over 26k. No one got actually turned down, but several had to wait hours to get in. I busted my first bullet at 12:30, luckily I had already gotten a credit card verified, so I could buy my next bullet online and print it at a kiosk. I was in the line to get your seat assignments by 12:35 and back in the tourney around 2:30. If I hadn't already done the credit card thing, I would have had to wait in line to buy the seat then the line to get the assignment, so closer to 4 or 4:30. 

We had over 9,000 in flight D, with over 2,000 surviving to Day 2 Tuesday with about 1350 of us getting paid. So far through the first 3 Day 2s, about 1050 have made Day 3.  I would expect about 500 more to make Day 3 from Day 2D, so about 1600 when we consolidate for Day 3 Wednesday. 

Need to keep the rungood activated!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

109.5k in the bag in the $3M guarantee at the Venetian. Never been alive in two Day 2s at the same time before! Also flopped a royal for the first time today and got two streets of value.

That $3Mil seems ambitious.  I know as the week goes on the number of runners get higher, but reading the rules, for the Venetian to actually make money, there need to be 3,080 entrants.

But I guess day 1A ended up being a little less than 1/5th of that number.  So maybe they will get to the 3,100 entrant level.

also, I know the "winner" pool amount varies by tournament, is it still roughly 10% of the total prize pool to the winner?  or has that number bounced around from 8-12%?

That $3Mil seems ambitious.  I know as the week goes on the number of runners get higher, but reading the rules, for the Venetian to actually make money, there need to be 3,080 entrants.
But I guess day 1A ended up being a little less than 1/5th of that number.  So maybe they will get to the 3,100 entrant level.

also, I know the "winner" pool amount varies by tournament, is it still roughly 10% of the total prize pool to the winner?  or has that number bounced around from 8-12%?

They crushed the guarantee on this same tourney last year and 1A this year was a little bigger than 1A last year. 1D had over 1800 runners.

Now, they had more tables last year bc they did it in the convention center. They’ve been tweeting to tell people to play A and/or B if possible and to buy in early. Prepare to hear bleating and whining about long lines and alternate lists Wed and Thu lol.

Amount to 1st will always vary depending on field size. Smaller fields will have a much bigger chunk to 1st. For the MSPT, last year they had 4400 entries, a $4.3M prizepool, and $495K up top. Should be same ballpark this year.

Guessing like $1.2M up top for the Fitty.

not really sure how this keeps happening to our boy, but the moment hes got a nut hand and all in, his run good fucking disappears. 

Sooner:

Open KK to 45k. Active guy 150. We jam 445 he calls AK. Blank flop. Blank turn. Ace of hearts river. 93% to have a million chips with one level to go. Instead out 693rd in flight D. Just absolutely gutted.

I’m mostly just a lurker on this thread but got damn that sucks. Not sure why people have such an obsession with hammering AK pre flop. You’re a flip against any pocket pair and fucked against AA or KK (unless it’s sooner). You going to risk your whole stack hoping somebody was willing to go all with KQ or worse? Good luck with that.

• Haha 1

Off work for the summer and was hoping to work on my game at one of the poker clubs. Would prefer online after all the stuff that’s been happening and I can get a ton of hands in. A couple questions for my favorite degenerates:

What is the best site these days? I play mostly tourneys. Don’t care much about cash games.

What is the easiest site to get your money on and out of for people in Texas? 

Anything else I should be thinking about?

I’m mostly just a lurker on this thread but got damn that sucks. Not sure why people have such an obsession with hammering AK pre flop. You’re a flip against any pocket pair and fucked against AA or KK (unless it’s sooner). You going to risk your whole stack hoping somebody was willing to go all with KQ or worse? Good luck with that.

He was paying 300 to win 900. Pretty standard call, I would think. Sooner had likely established himself as legit on the table, so guy knew Sooners range was wider than avg player. Also, I don’t think we know how deep guy was, but obviously it’s even easier the deeper he is.

Off work for the summer and was hoping to work on my game at one of the poker clubs. Would prefer online after all the stuff that’s been happening and I can get a ton of hands in. A couple questions for my favorite degenerates:

What is the best site these days? I play mostly tourneys. Don’t care much about cash games.

What stuff has been happening other than the two clubs in Houston?

If you’re in Austin, no reason to worry about the clubs... yet.

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

He was paying 300 to win 900. Pretty standard call, I would think. Sooner had likely established himself as legit on the table, so guy knew Sooners range was wider than avg player. Also, I don’t think we know how deep guy was, but obviously it’s even easier the deeper he is.

Yeah, his play was standard, it just sucks that he hit his 7% river in such a massive equity spot for me. My range is narrow there when I'm opening UTG off a 22 BB stack, but AK is still ahead of it. And yeah, once he 3bets (both 3b and call are fine in his shoes, I would generally 3b), no way he can fold AK getting 2 to 1. I'm 4b jamming 99+, AQ there (against this guy, against others, I would 4b jam a bit snugger).

Just felt like this tourney was going my way, for the first time in forever, and it would have been a realllly nice one to make a real run in. Instead, feel like I used up a lot of rungood on top of playing very well, and profited literally ten dollars for all of it. I covered 25% of the dinner I ate at the table on Day 1D. 

20 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Curious for responses to this, too.  PM me if you don't want to answer here.

I sure would rather run 8 tables online for $100 each getting 60-70 hands an hour than 1 table live for $300 getting 25-30 hands an hour.  And I miss the shit out of single-table SNG's.  Is online poker relatively lucrative/safe again, and if so, where?

Edited by TexArcher

Brutal October, sorry to hear that..

For whatever reason, I keep leaving at roughly 3 hours played at APP. But we are now 8-8 in terms of walking out with more than I walked in with. 

On Monday I had a 2.5 hour session where I bought in for $300 again, didnt play any major pots, lost a $50 pot right before I left with $475.   about $20 in tips and $25 for the seat rental for a not horribad 20BB/hr. 

today was a lot different played for about 3.5 hours, bought in for $300, slowly chipped up until the first major pot of the night, I started with $450 and its a bomb pot where I am the cutoff.

Flop comes Kd-Kx-Td up top  &  9-6-4 rainbow on the bottom. 

SB bets $20, UTG  calls, Next up makes it $40, which is then called... then LP makes it $80. folds to me and I look down at 9d 9x.

So Ive got the nuts on the bottom board, and with all those calls/raises, theres a damn good chance that at least 1 King is playing, possibly even both.  obviously there are rando straight and flush draws out there, and there is around $200 already in the pot,  Im like fuck it, Ive got the nuts on one board and these fucks are calling just about anything anyway, I might as well make them pay.  So I go all in to make it look like a naked King or a bluff.   

SB snap calls for $170 total, UTG barely hesitates and calls (hes got about $350 total),  MP calls for about $200 total, and the lady who made it $80 calls for $165 total.  So thats FIVE of us all in,  no surprise on 2 of them- the BB has K2 & the MP player has KJ,  but then it was nuts as UTG flips over 4-4,  and the LP short stack lady has 6-6!  So thats 3 sets on the bottom board!  

a deuce hits the KK board  on the turn giving the SB the boat,  rest runs out with no 1 card outs on either board.  so I am splitting the 5 way all in with K2, then I have to split the $90 side pot with the KJ, and I scoop the $300 top pot as my pair of 9s beat the pair of 4s on the top board.  I end up with about $900.

I play for another 2 hours, pick off a bluff by a hyper agro player (Bob specifically knows him, old black guy who always wears a white TigerWoods hat), and I cash out for $1201.

$35 for seat rental, another $30 in tips so I ended up with +$835 for the session. for a smooth 119 BB/hr

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

play for another 2 hours, pick off a bluff by a hyper agro player (Bob specifically knows him, old black guy who always wears a white TigerWoods hat), and I cash out for $1201.

Yeah, that guy is something else. 

12 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Brutal October, sorry to hear that..

For whatever reason, I keep leaving at roughly 3 hours played at APP. But we are now 8-8 in terms of walking out with more than I walked in with. 

On Monday I had a 2.5 hour session where I bought in for $300 again, didnt play any major pots, lost a $50 pot right before I left with $475.   about $20 in tips and $25 for the seat rental for a not horribad 20BB/hr. 

today was a lot different played for about 3.5 hours, bought in for $300, slowly chipped up until the first major pot of the night, I started with $450 and its a bomb pot where I am the cutoff.

Flop comes Kd-Kx-Td up top  &  9-6-4 rainbow on the bottom. 

SB bets $20, UTG  calls, Next up makes it $40, which is then called... then LP makes it $80. folds to me and I look down at 9d 9x.

So Ive got the nuts on the bottom board, and with all those calls/raises, theres a damn good chance that at least 1 King is playing, possibly even both.  obviously there are rando straight and flush draws out there, and there is around $200 already in the pot,  Im like fuck it, Ive got the nuts on one board and these fucks are calling just about anything anyway, I might as well make them pay.  So I go all in to make it look like a naked King or a bluff.   

SB snap calls for $170 total, UTG barely hesitates and calls (hes got about $350 total),  MP calls for about $200 total, and the lady who made it $80 calls for $165 total.  So thats FIVE of us all in,  no surprise on 2 of them- the BB has K2 & the MP player has KJ,  but then it was nuts as UTG flips over 4-4,  and the LP short stack lady has 6-6!  So thats 3 sets on the bottom board!  

a deuce hits the KK board  on the turn giving the SB the boat,  rest runs out with no 1 card outs on either board.  so I am splitting the 5 way all in with K2, then I have to split the $90 side pot with the KJ, and I scoop the $300 top pot as my pair of 9s beat the pair of 4s on the top board.  I end up with about $900.

I play for another 2 hours, pick off a bluff by a hyper agro player (Bob specifically knows him, old black guy who always wears a white TigerWoods hat), and I cash out for $1201.

$35 for seat rental, another $30 in tips so I ended up with +$835 for the session. for a smooth 119 BB/hr

Just thinking about the dealer having to figure this shit out gives me anxiety. NH!

15 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Curious for responses to this, too.  PM me if you don't want to answer here.

I sure would rather run 8 tables online for $100 each getting 60-70 hands an hour than 1 table live for $300 getting 25-30 hands an hour.  And I miss the shit out of single-table SNG's.  Is online poker relatively lucrative/safe again, and if so, where?

On 6/4/2019 at 10:07 PM, Larry T. Spider said:

I play cash on Ignition and Bovada still. They are different skins of the same site, share the same player pool etc, so you can only be logged into one at a time. I don't know much about the tourneys they offer however. It's easy to get money on/off. Very easy and fast if you use bitcoin. 

6 minutes ago, CBT said:

Just thinking about the dealer having to figure this shit out gives me anxiety. NH!

well because I actually covered all of them it wasnt that tough.   SB actually had $168 behind, so the dealer counted out $168 out of the UTG stack, and $168 off the MP stack, and the LP stack was less than $168, so all that went into the main pot.     SB and I pulled back our chips so he only had to split the money in the main pot, which was easy.  

Then he counted out $30 from the UTG stack,  gave $15 to MP who left the table with $45 total, and $15 to me. 

Then he gave me the entirety of the rest of the UTG stack.  we didnt actually count it out because it was obvious he had started with less than $450 total, but it was roughly $350.   

I was still stacking chips, and ended up playing the next hand and winning another pot of about $100, so Im not exactly sure how much I won total on that big hand because I mixed in the winnings of the next hand as well. But I was pretty much up +$700 at that point.

Having dealt the occasional shift for a while now, I can tell you the machinations you describe are trickier than it appears while sitting as a player.

It doesn’t help that you often have like 4 people barking instructions, which are incorrect about 25% of the time.

One thing that I do, and appreciate from dealers, is announcing what I’m doing when building pots or when we have multiple pots at showdown: “OK, I am going to pull in $75 from every stack, that’s our main pot, the rest is on the side between you three” or I’d say the bet was $200 and a guy is allin for $180, three ways “OK, $20 from both of you going on the side, headsup for that pot.”

I hate when dealers start just cutting and shoveling chips around when it’s obvious they are lost in it. Just pause, speak what you’re doing, take an extra 3 seconds to get it right.

• Like 1

Having dealt the occasional shift for a while now, I can tell you the machinations you describe are trickier than it appears while sitting as a player.

It doesn’t help that you often have like 4 people barking instructions, which are incorrect about 25% of the time.

One thing that I do, and appreciate from dealers, is announcing what I’m doing when building pots or when we have multiple pots at showdown: “OK, I am going to pull in $75 from every stack, that’s our main pot, the rest is on the side between you three” or I’d say the bet was $200 and a guy is allin for $180, three ways “OK, $20 from both of you going on the side, headsup for that pot.”

I hate when dealers start just cutting and shoveling chips around when it’s obvious they are lost in it. Just pause, speak what you’re doing, take an extra 3 seconds to get it right.

15 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

I would say the barking of instructions is wrong more like 99.9 percent of the time from players. 

15 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

old black guy who always wears a white TigerWoods hat

Pretty sure you are talking about Mr. L -  -.

He played at TCH for years and pretty sure now moved to APP as I have not seen him at the other for awhile. He can easily run it up and also dump it off with ATC. He came late to my table a couple of weeks ago at APP and  after him limping out of the SB, he later was getting about 4 to 5 /1 to call my preflop raise of $15.

I think I started the hand with around $400-425. Flop was 1096 rainbow and he immediately bet or slightly overbet the flop at $100. I had pocket 10s and wanting to isolate and get out any possibilities of someone hitting their 1 or 2 outer gut shot straight ( I have had some experiences as of late similar to sooner) I pushed all in with my remainder. It was going to be that anyway by him on the turn. Players between us folded and he snapped called. Uh oh, did he really flop the inside straight? No matter as turn was another 9...... bingo, boat. $900+ pot for me, didn't get to see his cards as he called my all in. He bought in again for 300 more and quickly lost that too to others. He left grumbling. I left awhile later up 7+ in 3 hrs.

1 hour ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Pretty sure you are talking about Mr. L -  -.

Yep thats him.

dude doesnt seem to give a shit about money.  he called a $150 pre flop bet when he only had $20 invested and only $300 behind with  56s, then snap called the all in bet on the flop with a 2-4-K rainbow board with just a backdoor flush draw.   He missed.

you should.

You should really want to play big o double board bomb pots more. I've been in a dozen or so with him and probably won >$3k from the guy in them. Even though he's been told dozens of times it's ultimate high/ultimate low, about half the time he'll lay down his hand and say "I got the nuts on the top board" which happens to be a flush, while someone else has a boat on the bottom board, and then get all pissed off at everyone.