Tesla

AeroHorn

Looking at the X because my S was totaled by a shitstump methhead. Questions for those that might know - leg room on the seven seat configuration? All white interior? Seems bold but anyone have it? It’s growing on me.

Here’s the car ...

1f25cadc47bf327a9ae9880c875af281.jpg

and the interior ...

0d839ce92d58a4cfab80c1db8e31e609.jpg

On 1/3/2020 at 2:25 PM, CooterBrown said:

Spent the day driving my friend’s Model 3. I get the hype now. It is phenomenal.

Yup. I recently drove my friend’s 3 as well. He had the dual motor performance. I’ve decided I’m driving my current vehicle until it breaks and then getting one of those. The 3 was awesome. 

38 minutes ago, troph said:

Looking at the X because my S was totaled by a shitstump methhead. Questions for those that might know - leg room on the seven seat configuration? All white interior? Seems bold but anyone have it? It’s growing on me.

Here’s the car ...

and the interior ...

0d839ce92d58a4cfab80c1db8e31e609.jpg

Do you have kids? Because that things gonna be dirty as shit 

I do kind of like it though. 

1 hour ago, troph said:

Here’s the car ...

and the interior ...

I like how the door handles are very clearly misaligned.

White seats look sorta nice, but it comes with the white interior trim which contrasts too much with the rest of the dash.  Not a fan of the panda looks.  Wouldve been cooler if they offered whiskey brown, dark red, etc.

I like how the door handles are very clearly misaligned.

White seats look sorta nice, but it comes with the white interior trim which contrasts too much with the rest of the dash.  Not a fan of the panda looks.  Wouldve been cooler if they offered whiskey brown, dark red, etc.

I didn’t notice the handle that could be an easy adjustment. The dark rims, red calipers, and larger tires is a hard trim to find. That’s what I really like.

Seven seats is nice. I would prefer 6 though.

The white is growing on me but the only options even available are black on black (no) and white or tan on black. I had tan on black in my S and loved it.

I’d miss the raw off the line power, and not sure about the white seats. I need more space though my boys are 14, 12 and 10 and my 14 year old is already 6 feet tall. My S had the jump seats for a total of 7 but that’s a misnomer it’s 5 adults and 2 small kids. This configuration would allow 2-2-1 instead of 2-3.

I dunno ... the white seats and the dash which isn’t the classic look but the sport look... ?

Oh and no sunroof - not even available because of the x wing doors

3 hours ago, troph said:

Handles well but only 3.7 seconds zero to 60. My S was 3-flat.

3 hours ago, troph said:

I’d miss the raw off the line power, and not sure about the white seats.

Yeah, that .7  differential would make driving around Austin intolerable. If I was buying a Tesla, I'd stick with the S or 3 as no way in hell would I want those gullwing doors. They have had plenty of problems, and I gotta imagine those heavy ass doors with two hinges will really hold up well over the lifetime of the car. The number one feature I'm looking for in a door is reliability. The first time I couldn't open a door on my $100K car because Musk had to show the world how smart he was, my head would explode. 

2 year bumper to bumper warranty and 4 on motor and battery. I’d drive it for 2 and trade it in. This one is used btw. I’ve had the X as a loaner and loved it. The S doors have problems presenting too. But the narrow city parking is where it’s awesome.

I drove a 3 as a rental for a week. Fast, but completely soulless and boring to drive. Plus the interior is completely minimalist and uninteresting. It just isn't a sucking experience, just a way to get from A to B, which is fine for a lot of people.

Touch screen should not be allowed in cars because you have to look at them to make a selection which requires taking your eyes of the road.

Finally the little card that you have to tap to get into the car and then tap again on the center console to start the car is Apple level cute bullshit that is useless and annoying.

The regenerative braking absolutely has to be turned off.

I also found out when i got a vinyl wrap put on my car that the reason wraps and clear car bras exploded in popularity is because the paint on the 3 (and maybe other Tesla models?) is garbage and easily chips. So a lot of people get wraps installed to help protect the paint.

Maybe the other models are better, but I'd never consider getting the 3.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

Finally the little card that you have to tap to get into the car and then tap again on the center console to start the car is Apple level cute bullshit that is useless and annoying.

Because the renter wasn't given access to the app.

With app on phone, Bluetooth proximity detection means you walk in and out.  The operating experience is extremely seamless - walk in, flick the stalk into gear, and go.  No motor starting, undoing brakes, warm up, driveline shock when putting into gear, etc.  Then the car just glides down the road quietly and effectively.

It's really a quite good car.  And very very good cars, for most people who don't care about cars. 

But I agree with you - I'd prefer a little more drama like a nice engine note and a good gearshift and the right amount of body movement.

3 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

I drove a 3 as a rental for a week. Fast, but completely soulless and boring to drive. Plus the interior is completely minimalist and uninteresting. It just isn't a sucking experience, just a way to get from A to B, which is fine for a lot of people.

Touch screen should not be allowed in cars because you have to look at them to make a selection which requires taking your eyes of the road.

The regenerative braking absolutely has to be turned off.

I also found out when i got a vinyl wrap put on my car that the reason wraps and clear car bras exploded in popularity is because the paint on the 3 (and maybe other Tesla models?) is garbage and easily chips. So a lot of people get wraps installed to help protect the paint.

Maybe the other models are better, but I'd never consider getting the 3.

To each their own on a lot of this, but the regenerative braking bothered you?  That’s one of my favorite things. You barely ever have to use the actual brake pedal which is yet another cut back on maintenance expenses over the life of the car. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To each their own on a lot of this, but the regenerative braking bothered you?  That’s one of my favorite things. You barely ever have to use the actual brake pedal which is yet another cut back on maintenance expenses over the life of the car. 

No engine, no transmission, no exhaust or cooling systems are all huge pluses. I live with a steep driveway and on Mercedes an Tahoe before that I had to replace breaks once per year, but with the Tesla S not once in 2 years because of regenerative breaking around town. It’s a really nice feature once you get used to it.

And the idea that the Tesla isn’t a good car experience for those that love cars makes no sense. Maybe for the 3 but it’s competing with other small cars. The S though, it’s a helluva car for car enthusiasts.

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

You can also voice control nearly everything. There’s little need to use the touch screen while driving.

Voice control doesn't work well, yet.  It actually regressed on the current software. 

The one good thing about that touchscreen control is the navigation software is lightyears of anything else, especially for entering new destination.  I can type basically the first 2 letters of a POI (say, a restaurant) and it'll find it and I can immediately route to it.  On any other system, even BMW iDrive, the search is virtually useless.  Any destination requires pecking in country/state/zip first, etc, or dictating the address letter for letter. 

Driving dynamics, the bottom-loaded weight distribution belies the actual total mass of the car.  My Performance 3 doesn't feel anything close to its 4100# curb weight, which is nice.  It corners flat, which is nice'ish.  But there's zero feedback to the steering wheel.  Too little roll or pitch, which doesn't signal to the driver.  Single-gear and quiet flat power band, so the driver cannot control or anticipate the engine-decel going into a corner.   Basically it strips away most of the sensation of driving, while going stupidly fast.  Very video-game like.

To me, my (former) S P90D (before L mode came out) gets to the real racing experience much quicker than any car out there which is like flying or floating on the road. In road racing you get to a point where you do lose a connection to the road through the wheel and you trust the car. The adrenaline of racing happens when you lose that connection and you have to have faith that the car, at that speed, and it’s design and mechanics will get you through the turn or curve because that’s what it’s designed to do.

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Who’s in for the Roadster if it actually comes out this year? 0-60 in 1.9, a top speed of 250+, and a range of over 600 miles.

I don't believe any of that.  But, purely looks wise, it's the prettiest super/sports/exotic car around.  Anything else it goes against has lost the plot with their overstyling.

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I don't believe any of that.  But, purely looks wise, it's the prettiest super/sports/exotic car around.  Anything else it goes against has lost the plot with their overstyling.

you already have the model S confirmed at 2.4 and the model X SUV confirmed under 3.0 seconds in both of their performance configurations.  I'm sure 2.4 can come down some - maybe not to 1.9 - but holy hell anything sub 2.4 is going to be insane off the line.  and any additional burst coming out of a turn into a straight away will have a similar effect on the track.  any vehicle that requires gas will be left in the dust in almost any condition and on any track with that kind of burst.  whether it will hit 250 mph is another story.  at that speed you're talking about a really dangerous car.   

Edited by troph

4 minutes ago, troph said:

you already have the model S confirmed at 2.4 and the model X SUV confirmed under 3.0 seconds in both of their performance configurations.  I'm sure 2.4 can come down some - maybe not to 1.9 - but holy hell anything sub 2.4 is going to be insane off the line.  and any additional burst coming out of a turn into a straight away will have a similar effect on the track.  any vehicle that requires gas will be left in the dust in almost any condition and on any track with that kind of burst.  whether it will hit 250 mph is another story.  at that speed you're talking about a really dangerous car.   

The model 3 has the most advanced battery pack and it weighs 1000#, with 300mi range.  For the Roadster to get 600 means packing on another 1000# of weight.

0-60 times today is limited by traction, not by power (I think all Teslas has artificially capped power output at lower speeds due to traction.  The 2.9s 3-performance does).  Supposedly it has some jet boost assistance.  Jet booster.  Packaged in a 2 seater.... Rrrright.

And then top speed is just aero vs power.  All the Tesla Motors has stupendous power in the first half of it's rev range, but tapers off due to counter emf.  They could put in multi-gears....but then again....packaging and weight.  All the cars in the 250mph club are north of 1000hp.

For a $200k product there is zero doubt they can reach any one of these targets.  But all 3 simultaneously.....is just another Elonboast next to the one that cars will be fully self-driving by the end of last year, when they can barely steer themselves around a parking lot

20 minutes ago, troph said:

The Roadster is of course just a toy for the super rich, but it looks super badass.  Latest 0-60 I've seen officially is 2.1 seconds.  I mean, come on.  We are splitting hairs.

The model 3 has the most advanced battery pack and it weighs 1000#, with 300mi range.  For the Roadster to get 600 means packing on another 1000# of weight. 0-60 times today is limited by traction, not by power (I think all Teslas has artificially capped power output at lower speeds due to traction.  The 2.9s 3-performance does).  Supposedly it has some jet boost assistance.  Jet booster.  Packaged in a 2 seater.... Rrrright.

And then top speed is just aero vs power.  All the Tesla Motors has stupendous power in the first half of it's rev range, but tapers off due to counter emf.  They could put in multi-gears....but then again....packaging and weight.  All the cars in the 250mph club are north of 1000hp.

For a $200k product there is zero doubt they can reach any one of these targets.  But all 3 simultaneously.....is just another Elonboast next to the one that cars will be fully self-driving by the end of last year, when they can barely steer themselves around a parking lot

Yeah I struggle with the range for sure at that speed and I typed but deleted a comment about traction. Only with brand new tires (

The model 3 has the most advanced battery pack and it weighs 1000#, with 300mi range.  For the Roadster to get 600 means packing on another 1000# of weight.
0-60 times today is limited by traction, not by power (I think all Teslas has artificially capped power output at lower speeds due to traction.  The 2.9s 3-performance does).  Supposedly it has some jet boost assistance.  Jet booster.  Packaged in a 2 seater.... Rrrright.

Yeah I struggle with the range for sure at that speed and I typed but deleted a comment about traction. Only with brand new tires (

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2019 at 3:49 PM, sidis said:

is that some sort of carrara marble dashboard with 90 degree edges?

i generally advise people to avoid automobile accidents but holy shit.

In the 60s cars had unpadded metal dashboards with quite a few "sharp" edges like that.  I have a small scar on my forehead to prove it

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, what does having a plug-in car do to your monthly electric bill?

On a dollar per distance basis, electric car should cost you somewhere from 1/4rd to 1/2 of cost of of fueling.

So take the gas bill and divide by half or thirds

Yeah my bill went up some but not much. $50-75 a month would be the high end of the range. It wasn’t enough to even really notice. But then we use my car as the default when we want to go into town or elsewhere and I can drive my kids all over. Take to three schools each morning, pick up the same, commute to work (15 miles each way), and evening extra curriculars. Wouldn’t shock me if I drove 60-80 miles a day. Last year I ran 25,000 miles on my Model S, but some of those miles were trips (new orleans and marfa).

1 hour ago, troph said:

Yeah my bill went up some but not much. $50-75 a month would be the high end of the range. It wasn’t enough to even really notice. But then we use my car as the default when we want to go into town or elsewhere and I can drive my kids all over. Take to three schools each morning, pick up the same, commute to work (15 miles each way), and evening extra curriculars. Wouldn’t shock me if I drove 60-80 miles a day. Last year I ran 25,000 miles on my Model S, but some of those miles were trips (new orleans and marfa).

iswydt

• Like 2

On 1/31/2020 at 6:46 AM, TwiceHorn said:

So, what does having a plug-in car do to your monthly electric bill?

On my normal work schedule it costs me $7 a week to "fill up". But I gotta tell you man, I can't really put a price on never having to fill up at a gas station. I love my Model 3 so much. 

On my normal work schedule it costs me $7 a week to "fill up". But I gotta tell you man, I can't really put a price on never having to fill up at a gas station. I love my Model 3 so much. 

Yeah I don’t miss the gas station fill up routine at all.