Tesla

AeroHorn

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

It’s illegal for a car manufacturer to have own. dealerships in Texas. What you think are dealerships are just showrooms. Sometimes repair as well. You have to order directly from Tesla in California and it will ship to you. You arrange your own financing and car had to be paid for before it ships. 

Thank you kind sir!

It’s illegal for a car manufacturer to have own. dealerships in Texas. Must be franchised And Tesla doesn’t do that. What you think are dealerships are just showrooms. Sometimes repair as well. You have to order directly from Tesla in California and it will ship to you. You arrange your own financing and car had to be paid for before it ships. 

Yep. Try discussing price of their “art” on display. “Sir, you’ll have to check online. We’re just a showroom.”

On 3/31/2018 at 11:03 PM, troph said:

Look at used. I got my 2013 model S P85+ with every offered upgrade and only 22,000 miles - in impeccable condition - for under $60,000. 2 years remaining bumper to bumper warranty and 4 total years left on battery and motor. I love my car, best auto purchase I’ve ever made.

Do you still own the car?  What has been your experience?  Still happy with the vehicle?  I know Tesla use to have a showroom in the Houston Galleria but I have no clue if it is open now that the Galleria has reopened.  Can you buy the used vehicle in their showroom?

Tesla Shanghai shut down again this week due to parts shortages and Fremont looks like it will be idled for awhile longer. So with no production globally, I'm guessing TSLA stock clears 1000 this week?  Why the fuck not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

Tesla Shanghai shut down again this week due to parts shortages and Fremont looks like it will be idled for awhile longer. So with no production globally, I'm guessing TSLA stock clears 1000 this week?  Why the fuck not.

Making no cars = priced in = stonks go up

• Like 2

22 hours ago, WBT said:

I wonder how the cult of elon are reconciling with his views on covid response.  Somehow I don't think most of them agree with him.

I’m a Tesla fan boy, but I’ve known Elon is nuts for a while. The cars are badass and he has good ideas. He does better when he lets same people take over the day to day, a la SpaceX

21 hours ago, BevoSwag said:

Do you still own the car?  What has been your experience?  Still happy with the vehicle?  I know Tesla use to have a showroom in the Houston Galleria but I have no clue if it is open now that the Galleria has reopened.  Can you buy the used vehicle in their showroom?

I'm not anywhere near the Galleria but my local Tesla showrooms are open.  If they don't have the vehicles for you to look and touch, buying at the showroom is the same as buying off an iPad on your home couch.

If you want a frictionless car experience, it's about the best

• Like 1

I’ve had an order in for a Y since the fall.  Very much hoping they get back to producing them but I’ve waited this long a f can wait longer.

The early reports have of those who got theirs before shutdown have been positive, but some have reported slight build issues with gaps in the frame.  That needs to be fixed, no excuse for that on a $50k+ vehicle.

On 5/9/2020 at 8:15 PM, BevoSwag said:

My S was totaled when someone rear ended me while I was stopped and they barreled into me from the rear.  I'm in an X now.  I want my S back.  The X is great for what I need it for, hauling my three boys around. But it's not anywhere near the same. The S is the best car on the road IMO, with the Porsche Taycan as maybe the only one better.

Edited by troph

12 hours ago, troph said:

My S was totaled when someone rear ended me while I was stopped and they barreled into me from the rear.  I'm in an X now.  I want my S back.  The X is great for what I need it for, hauling my three boys around. But it's not anywhere near the same. The S is the best car on the road IMO, with the Porsche Taycan as maybe the only one better.

I have the opportunity to drive the S fairly often, but the 3 is my main vehicle.  I would choose the Model 3 for multiple reasons, but the S is a bit more luxurious.  Overall, I think the 3 is the clear winner for normal people, both from a price standpoint and also the size.  The Model Y might be a game changer though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I have the opportunity to drive the S fairly often, but the 3 is my main vehicle.  I would choose the Model 3 for multiple reasons, but the S is a bit more luxurious.  Overall, I think the 3 is the clear winner for normal people, both from a price standpoint and also the size.  The Model Y might be a game changer though.

I got the 3 (LR AWD) after test driving both the S and the X. The 3 is just the better vehicle in my opinion at this point. If they do a significant refresh of the X, I may get that to replace my current people mover/family vehicle. 

I've said it here before but the Model 3 is an unbelievable car. I get the love for the S and the X but after driving all 3 I can't imagine driving anything other than the 3 (married with no kids so my perspective is probably a bit different). The Model Y is nothing more than a taller, larger Model 3 so I agree with Biff that it might be a game changer for electric vehicles. 

On 5/11/2020 at 12:13 AM, Thujone said:

I'm still getting the cyber truck.

It's such a badass looking truck. It doesn't fit my needs nor does it fit in my garage but damn I want one after I wear down my 3.

not criticizing any of you but besides price, what makes the 3 better than the S for y'all?  and when I say I prefer the S, I'm speaking about the max battery size, and at least the full performance package if not also the ludicrous mode.  I don't see how the 3 is better?

13 minutes ago, troph said:

not criticizing any of you but besides price, what makes the 3 better than the S for y'all?  and when I say I prefer the S, I'm speaking about the max battery size, and at least the full performance package if not also the ludicrous mode.  I don't see how the 3 is better?

personally speaking, i dont like the way bigger cars fit on the road, the way they feel to drive, or even the way they look. 

completely independent of price, ill take a macan over a cayenne, a6 over a8, g70 over g90, and so on and so forth

20 minutes ago, troph said:

It handles way better. The P100D is definitely faster, but the AWD 3 and the Performance 3 are just as quick as the current LR S, and faster than many of the older models. In my experience the build quality is higher, at least on newer 3's versus S's from a couple of years ago. I also think the S has a dated cabin at this point and really needs a refresh. The S can have a longer range, but in my experience the LR AWD 3's range is more than sufficient (I regularly between Austin and Houston on a single charge starting with ~80%). Ultimately, I just don't see the S justifying its premium. It needs a serious upgrade to the cabin (and I'd prefer it not drive like a boat). It is still a cool car, no doubt. 

Edited by Dahobbs

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

It handles way better. The P100D is definitely faster, but the AWD 3 and the Performance 3 are just as quick as the current LR S, and faster than many of the older models. In my experience the build quality is higher, at least on newer 3's versus S's from a couple of years ago. I also think the S has a dated cabin at this point and really needs a refresh. The S can have a longer range, but in my experience the LR AWD 3's range is more than sufficient (I regularly between Austin and Houston on a single charge starting with ~80%). Ultimately, I just don't see the S justifying its premium. It needs a serious upgrade to the cabin (and I'd prefer it not drive like a boat). It is still a cool car, no doubt. 

All of this.  For me, aside from price, it really is the size.  The S barely fits in my garage.  But personal preference for sure.

On 5/11/2020 at 12:13 AM, Thujone said:

I'm a total Elon Fanboi and I simply don't understand his response on Covid. He's off his goddamned rocker and he can fuck off. I think he's finally hit peak disconnected rich guy baron level where he's so far up his own asshole, he can't see the outside world. Fucking moron. 

It seems like once your dick goes inside Amber Heard, your mind goes off the rails.

with how new Tesla is as a company, it's hard to compare a new 3 to a 3-4 year old S.  but yeah, if you are comparing a first gen 2013 S to an AWD performance 3 then it's hard to say the S is better.  The only thing that makes my X competitive with my old S is the software/hardware updates - auto steer, LTE connectivity, and the cameras for avoiding the bumps and scratches.  but for me, stack the same year, same package against each other the S is a far better machine, though I agree it's a deceptively huge vehicle.

On 2/7/2020 at 12:07 PM, Biff Tannen said:

I'm 37 and technically a millennial (Oregon Trail Generation is the preferred nomenclature) and you know my feelings on that hideous beast.

I hear this one from time to time and it's a bit of a head-scratcher.  Oregon Trail was first released in 1971 (although not widely until '78).  You were born in 82/83, didn't hit elementary school until 87/88, and wouldn't have been of an age to access that game until around '92 or '93.  What on earth does what was at the time you played it, an relatively ancient game that people were playing on an Apple II half a decade before you were born?   I think people will come up with anything to not be called a Millennial, but sorry dude - that's your generation.  You were in high school for 9/11.  You're a prime Millennial.  Someone in their mid forties could maybe make an argument for "Oregon Trail Generation", but they're already generally considered GenX and safe from Millennial shaming.  Someone who was in fifth or sixth grade circa 1985 (when the game had a wide rerelease) would probably have the best claim for the OTG moniker, and I've seen some reasonable arguments that those born 75-79 fit the bill for a pocket generation between X and M.  But born in 82/83?  You're just in denial, man.  :)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I hear this one from time to time and it's a bit of a head-scratcher.  Oregon Trail was first released in 1971 (although not widely until '78).  You were born in 82/83, didn't hit elementary school until 87/88, and wouldn't have been of an age to access that game until around '92 or '93.  What on earth does what was at the time you played it, an relatively ancient game that people were playing on an Apple II half a decade before you were born?   I think people will come up with anything to not be called a Millennial, but sorry dude - that's your generation.  You were in high school for 9/11.  You're a prime Millennial.  Someone in their mid forties could maybe make an argument for "Oregon Trail Generation", but they're already generally considered GenX and safe from Millennial shaming.  Someone who was in fifth or sixth grade circa 1985 (when the game had a wide rerelease) would probably have the best claim for the OTG moniker, and I've seen some reasonable arguments that those born 75-79 fit the bill for a pocket generation between X and M.  But born in 82/83?  You're just in denial, man.  :)

I grew up in silicon valley, and even in the 1990s the apple ii were still THE computers in school.  the 2 most popular games were oregon trail and carmen san diego. 

they might have been first released earlier on, but probably not much people had access to them

also, my definition of millenials dont even know what the oregon trail is, game or historically.  they probably never used a floppy disc

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

As someone also born in 82, I think it has to do with that game being an integral part of our education. Almost everyone my age, from every region in the country, sat down in computer class and hammered away at that game. I don't even remember why we were playing it, only that we'd get super excited when we knew it was Oregon trail time.

• Like 1

Born in 85 here. Definitely played some OG Oregon Trail on old crappy computers in school. I definitely did my part to kill the Plains Indians' food source. And, yeah, I think born early to late 80's is really the only age range that should be classified as millenials since the name came from us coming of age around the turn of the millennium and through 9/11 and all that. But people try and make it encompass a larger range of years than it should and end up including a bunch of losers born in the 90's who never saw the cultural transformations we saw in our formative years.

1 hour ago, Samson's Wig said:

k boomer you're bad at math. born in 82, sophomore at UT during 9/11.  we were playing carmen sandiego and oregon trail in 1st grade.  

Every generation has the same problem - they encompass too large an age range. Take the boomers (no, seriously, take them). They are defined as persons born between 1944 and 1964. You think someone who entered the work force in 1962 may have slightly different outlooks, experiences, values, and priorities than someone who was in high school in 1982?

2 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

exactly.  I played OT when I was in elementary and I'm GenX.  Game was the shit yo.  It single-handily kept me on task and on good behavior so I could get free time on that green pixelated screen.

https://electrek.co/2020/05/15/tesla-factory-austin-texas/

Tesla’s next factory is going to be in Austin, Texas and it’s going to happen quickly

A source familiar with the matter told Electrek that Tesla has chosen Austin, Texas for its next factory and it’s going to happen quickly.

The race to secure Tesla’s next factory is apparently over.

According to a reliable source familiar with the matter, Tesla CEO Elon Musk is set on bringing the next Tesla Gigafactory, or now Terafactory, to Austin, Texas, or at least close to the city.

The people familiar with the project said that Musk has tasked the engineering team working at Gigafactory Nevada to start the process for the new factory, which is expected to make the Tesla Cybertruck electric pickup truck and the Model Y.

Tesla’s CEO also reportedly wants to move extremely fast.

We are told that the decision for the site is not set in stone since Tesla was apparently given a few options in the greater Austin area, but Musk is said to want to start construction extremely soon and aims to have Model Y vehicles coming out of the plant by the end of the year.

It would be an even more aggressive timeline than Gigafactory Shanghai.

However, we are told that Tesla would aim to only have a general assembly line ready on that timeline and it would keep building the factory around the first phase in order to increase production capacity of different parts next year.

By late next year, the new Texas factory would be producing Tesla’s new Cybertruck electric pickup.

Tesla already has some connections to Austin, Texas.

When Tesla started building a team of chip engineers for its Autopilot hardware 3.0, it hired several engineers from AMD’s corporate offices in Austin and Tesla decided to open an office there for its Autopilot hardware engineers.

Recently, Musk has been talking about moving Tesla’s California operations to Nevada and/or Texas due to the automaker’s difficulties working with the local government to reopen the Fremont factory, where it currently produces most of its vehicles.

This project is not directly related to that announcement.

We are talking here about Tesla’s previously announced plans to build a ‘Cybertruck Gigafactory’ in “central US”.

Electrek’s Take

I think most people won’t be surprised by the news. Elon seems to have been leaning toward Texas for a while now.

But the timeline was really surprising to me.

This source has been really reliable in the past and they seem adamant that Tesla is pushing to have cars coming out of the factory by December, which just sounds crazy.

Although we are talking about just general assembly here so it’s not like Gigafactory Shanghai, which was built on a quick timeline too, though not as aggressive as this.

Tesla had Gigafactory Shanghai producing cars within a year after starting construction, but it was also producing the body of the vehicles and for now, it sounds like the bodies of the Model Y vehicles coming out of the new Texas factory would be produced in Fremont.

Therefore, I don’t think it’s impossible, but like it’s often the case with Tesla, the timeline is extremely aggressive.

What do you think? Let us know in the comment section below.

We will try to keep you updated on Tesla’s plans for the new factory. If you know anything about it, don’t hesitate to reach out to me at Fred@electrek.co, via Wickr: Fredev, or through my social media: Twitter and Instagram.