Tesla

AeroHorn

16 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Let’s see if he’s smart enough to avoid Travis County 

Frame Switch, TX between Hutto and Taylor (Williamson County) was the runner-up to Reno back in 2014 for that factory.  I'd speculate that is where it ends up.

https://www.statesman.com/article/20140918/BUSINESS/309189542

While chasing Tesla, Austin area finds ‘game-changer site’

By Laylan Copelin
Posted Sep 18, 2014 at 12:01 AM
Updated Sep 25, 2018 at 10:45 PM

Officials with Tesla Motors visited Williamson County at least eight times over six months as they sought a site for the company's $5 billion battery factory, going as far as hiring an Austin lawyer to negotiate in a series of meetings with local and state officials.

The electric car company's intense interest in 1,200-plus acres between Hutto and Taylor galvanized the two communities and Williamson County to create a rare megasite for manufacturing served by a rail line.

The Hutto-Taylor site fell just short this month when Tesla chose Reno, Nev., for its groundbreaking, $5 billion battery factory and the 6,500 jobs expected to come along with it

21 hours ago, Somnio said:

Frame Switch, TX between Hutto and Taylor (Williamson County) was the runner-up to Reno back in 2014 for that factory.  I'd speculate that is where it ends up.

https://www.statesman.com/article/20140918/BUSINESS/309189542

I miss the old beer joint at Frame Switch. Used to annoy the cotton farmers when us snotty college guys used to stop in for a quick beer on occasion.

8 minutes ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

He wants production in 6 months, needs to find a decent factory to upgrade. Wait I know, there’s one in Buffalo NY not being used!

Austin has a closed Motorola facility on 183 in East Austin that could possibly work if they want to repurpose an existing facility.

And there is an unused freight rail line owned by Capital Metro very nearby to the tract in question.  It is also along the Mokan ROW.

Capital Metro Green Line

Add in a soon to be completed major upgrade to 183, and the airport just a few miles away, and the site could be a winner.

Edited by Somnio

So media reports that its down to Tulsa or Austin. Which means Tulsa will offer free land and no taxes in perpetuity and Tesla will use that in bargaining with Austin which won't go quite so far but will still win because we can't compete other than corporate welfare. And the whole thing will end up being a complete scam, because Musk is a scam artist. Another fucking corporate welfare circus. At least the country dumbshits here are having fun shitting on California cause it makes them somehow feel better about their miserable selves.

• Like 6

Drive around a S 75D as loaner car while my 3 got its paint fixed.

The seats are much sportier.  The leather steering wheel feels nicer (3 switched to plastic to go fully animal-free).  Alcantara pillar and headliner is more luxurious.  Adjustable suspension height is useful if you drive on rough stuff.

Interior feels more cluttered and busy than the 3.  And while it drives lighter than its weight, it's still apparent that it's larger and heavier.  And though totally unnecessary, the 3 is quite a bit faster.

On 5/12/2020 at 10:34 AM, Dahobbs said:

I got the 3 (LR AWD) after test driving both the S and the X. The 3 is just the better vehicle in my opinion at this point. If they do a significant refresh of the X, I may get that to replace my current people mover/family vehicle. 

Auto critics are saying the Y is the best Tesla yet and are predicting it will kill off the X as there isn't enough difference for most consumers for the price difference.

12 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Auto critics are saying the Y is the best Tesla yet and are predicting it will kill off the X as there isn't enough difference for most consumers for the price difference.

They are really different classes of vehicle. The X is substantially bigger. The Y is just a hatchback 3, not really a proper family SUV. For my family (2 adults, 1 going on 3 children, 2 dogs), the Y wouldn't be any different than the 3. The X with a third row could actually fit everyone + luggage. There is a reason every other manufacturer has different sizes of SUVs (i.e., there is demand for them), I don't see why Tesla should be any different. But, as I said, the X needs a refresh. 

The X is big enough for our family of 5 including 3 teen/preteen boys. The S, even with 7 seats was not. No way the Y would work.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Y is amazing though. Tesla is a much different company now than in 2013 when the S first came out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tokamak said:

By the standards of other automakers' cycles, the Model S introduced in 2012 is getting pretty long in the tooth. I don't follow that closely - has Tesla made major changes since then (other than software)?

they've had 1 mid-life refresh.  since the battery and motor are the drivetrain, thats always evolved over time (whether through hardware or software unlock).... but as far as architecture and platform and interior interface, the S and X are both long in the tooth

On 5/29/2020 at 11:27 AM, Dahobbs said:

They are really different classes of vehicle. The X is substantially bigger. The Y is just a hatchback 3, not really a proper family SUV. For my family (2 adults, 1 going on 3 children, 2 dogs), the Y wouldn't be any different than the 3. The X with a third row could actually fit everyone + luggage. There is a reason every other manufacturer has different sizes of SUVs (i.e., there is demand for them), I don't see why Tesla should be any different. But, as I said, the X needs a refresh. 

Small SUVs is the top selling segment in the US with about 50% more units per month than pickups. In 2019 there were ~5 million small SUV sold in the US. I can't think of any small SUVs with a third row option like the X has.

How Motor Trend summed up their review-

The Model Y Performance delivers the ultimate glory of a performance SUV. It's an immensely practical family vehicle when you need it to be while remaining incredibly fun and engaging for its driver. The Model Y Performance isn't just a good electric SUV or just a good Tesla—it's a good SUV, period. And the Performance Upgrade package only makes the lineup stronger. Revolutionary falcon-wing doors be damned, the original Model X didn't make any of Tesla's rivals lose sleep. The Model Y will give them nightmares.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-y/2020/2020-tesla-model-y-long-range-first-drive/

EDIT- From the beginning of Motor Trend's review-

Regardless of propulsion fuel, how does the Model Y Performance edition's setup function as a luxury-performance SUV?

Quite good, as it turns out—the new Model Y Performance is probably the most convincing American sport luxury SUV I've driven in, well, ever.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

1 hour ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Small SUVs is the top selling segment in the US with about 50% more units per month than pickups. In 2019 there were ~5 million small SUV sold in the US. I can't think of any small SUVs with a third row option like the X has.

How Motor Trend summed up their review-

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-y/2020/2020-tesla-model-y-long-range-first-drive/

EDIT- From the beginning of Motor Trend's review-

Yeah, I totally agree that Model Y is going to be Tesla's most successful product. I'm just saying there is room for both the Model X and the Model Y.  Other manufacturers have both sizes of SUVs because both sizes sell well and are very profitable. I dont think the Y cannabalizes demand for the X. I actually think the overlap in car buyers is pretty small. 

The X is big enough for our family of 5 including 3 teen/preteen boys. The S, even with 7 seats was not. No way the Y would work.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Y is amazing though. Tesla is a much different company now than in 2013 when the S first came out.

Y is supposed to have the same interior volume as the S from the more upright seating.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

I passed on Dell @ $7 or $8 when it IPO’d thirty some years ago.

If we are doing this - I think it was around $12 when Apple introduced the iPod, I decided to wait and didn't pick any up at that point. To be honest I would have averaged out of 1/2 of it at $40, and some of the rest around $100; but still my bank account cries when I think about that 
(Googled this.....and I cried)

The first iPod was released in November 2001 and could hold up to 1,000 songs with a 10-hour battery life, all for the price of $399. On the first day of trading after the product's release date, the stock bounced around to eventually finish an unimpressive 5 cents up at $9.38. However, a week later on Nov. 19, Apple would close at $10.00 per share, a 6.6% increase.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I passed on Dell @ $7 or $8 when it IPO’d thirty some years ago.

I didn't put money in Amazon at 200 when its P/E was multiples of the NASDAQ.  Too overpriced.

I recent bought in at 2000$+ per share.

• Like 2

So I picked up my Y today.  Amazing vehicle as you can imagine.  Biggest negative so far is probably the blind spots and small back window.  I’m used to a bigger SUV so it will take some getting used to.  But I do love the regenerative braking.

Now it will mainly spend time in my garage as I work from home for the forseeable future.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I didn't put money in Amazon at 200 when its P/E was multiples of the NASDAQ.  Too overpriced.

I recent bought in at 2000$+ per share.

I hate doing math related to AMZN. Oh hey, remember that 10k that you talked yourself out of throwing at an online book store because it was fucking lame and you wanted to buy a jeep. Yeah. Sorry about that. 

1 hour ago, Bosco said:

So I picked up my Y today.  Amazing vehicle as you can imagine.  Biggest negative so far is probably the blind spots and small back window.  I’m used to a bigger SUV so it will take some getting used to.  But I do love the regenerative braking.

Now it will mainly spend time in my garage as I work from home for the forseeable future.

You’ll get over the blind spots quickly. The cameras do most of the work.  As for working from home, you’ll find reasons to drive. The first few weeks I had my Model 3 I would just take it out and about without any real destination because it was so damn fun. Congrats!

Edited by Biff Tannen
Assuming this is your first Tesla

Looks like Travis County isn't giving up without a fight. If it ends up in Travis I'm assuming it'll be a location along 130 near the Cap Metro railroad or a spot along the Union Pacific rail south of slaughter? Maybe east of Manor and work out a deal with Cap Metro to use their train track to connect to the UP line further east?

https://www.statesman.com/business/20200615/breaking-travis-county-considering-tesla-incentives-deal

Edited by Pasken

6 minutes ago, Pasken said:

We should know a lot more and the location of the factory by Tuesday.

Does Travis have more incentives to offer than Williamson?  I would think so, but I have no idea how this stuff works.

https://www.teslarati.com/teslas-cybertruck-terafactory-texas-incentive-package/

Travis County, Texas officials, are currently in the process of working out the details of an incentive deal with Tesla. The incentives are geared toward bringing the electric automaker’s next production facility to the city of Austin.

The Travis County Commissioners Court is reportedly meeting to discuss potential incentives later today, June 16, The Statesman reported. The terms of the incentives will be discussed during the meeting, and a vote from members of the Commissioners Court will be held in the coming weeks.

The specific details of the possible incentive package for Tesla have not been disclosed publicly, and members of the Court have not commented on the matter as of writing.

Tuesday’s Commissioner’s Court agenda contains an item that is recognized as “consider and take appropriate action on a project under Travis County Code Chapter 28.” Chapter 28 of the Travis County Code talks about incentives for local economic development, which could refer to the reports of Tesla’s potential incentive package.

Sources close to the situation believe that Agenda Item 21 is related to Tesla’s incentive package. The United Auto Workers (UAW) director of public relations, Brian Rothenberg, believes “that Item 21 on the agenda is related to Tesla.” The UAW is a union for employees of automakers

UAW Vice President Cindy Estrada also believes that Item 21 is directly related to Tesla’s possible presence in the area. “You have to look strongly at the track record of a company and their commitment not just to public dollars, but to the community investment and actual return on jobs created,” she said. “Tesla has a track record of collecting public subsidies from several states but not delivering on their promises. That is why it is important this time for Tesla to commit to community assurances for Travis County before getting subsidies.”

It has been rumored that Tesla is eyeing either Austin, Texas, or Tulsa, Oklahoma, for its next production facility. While it is widely considered that Austin is an overwhelming favorite due to previous comments made by Tesla CEO Elon Musk, Tulsa is pushing hard to convince the electric automaker it would be a good fit for the company’s next production facility.

Either location is ideal for Tesla’s upcoming plans, which include the production of the highly-anticipated Cybertruck and the recently released Model Y crossover. Musk has stated that he wanted the company’s next U.S. facility to be in the central portion of the country, which would alleviate East Coast customers from extended delivery periods.

Musk and company CFO Zachary Kirkhorn also indicated during the Q1 2020 Earnings Call that the next production facility the company builds would be the largest thus far. “I’ll also add that our Gigas have gotten bigger,” Kirkhorn said. Musk added, “It could arguably — it could start being called Tera.”

Kirkhorn expanded on the idea of more extensive production facilities as well. “Yes, with multiple products as well. And so the absolute number of Giga factories, we may ultimately build might be less, but each one is larger,” he said. “And that’s under our belief that just significant efficiencies by having as much as possible, and similar product lines under the same roof, and as much vertical integration as possible all in one facility.”

At least 10,000 employees are expected to work at the new facility based on the fact that it will be larger than the Fremont factory. If Tesla does choose the Lone Star State, it would be a “great win for Texas and Austin,” economist Angelos Angelou stated.

On my third test drive of the x and actually have it for 24 hours. Really like this car.

I am thinking long range version....I’m an old and slower driver now and not sure I need zero to 60 in sub 3 seconds.

Any reason I should consider performance? Is the interior any different?

Also, like the six seater with the two buckets in the back.

Edited by Tailgate