Tesla

AeroHorn

12 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Travis County and Del Valley ISD both going all in on incentives to get the Tesla factory. The site would be part of the proposed Austin Green development along 130 between FM 969 (MLK) and 71.

Is there any rail shipping infrastructure out that way?

14 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Is there any rail shipping infrastructure out that way?

Nope.  The specific site is along 130 just north of the Colorado. 130 has ROW reserved for high speed rail however I don't think you can run a slow ass freight train on the same line as high speed rail.

Tesla Inc is evaluating the possible development, design, and construction of a high tech electric vehicle manufacturing plant in Travis County within the Austin Green property located at the intersection of SH-130 and Harold Green Road. Attached is an exhibit that shows the planned layout of the facility on the site and is subject to confidentiality assertions above.
Construction is proposed to commence in Q3 of 2020 pending all required approvals.
Proposed improvements for which the tax limitation is sought would include but are not limited to supporting infrastructure and equipment manufacturing buildings, operations buildings to support the manufacturing process, access roadways, parking lots, loading docks, logistics facilities, material storage tanks, utility distribution improvements including underground utility piping, structural foundations, pads, supports, electrical substations, cooling towers, fire prevention, safety equipment, stormwater management facilities, waste management facilities, and wastewater treatment infrastructure.
The construction would ultimately comprise a 4 -5 million square foot manufacturing
plant. Construction timing is still to be determined but anticipated to be sometime over the next 2-3 years pending required approvals. Construction would include some or all of the following scope.

Edited by Pasken

WE NEED your help to make Tesla Happen! Please email edsi2@traviscountytx.gov with your support for the Tesla factory coming to 130 between FM 969 and 71. The Tesla plant's approximately 5,000 working class jobs that help further diversify the Austin economy and help protect against a recession due to slumps in certain industries. Also, the people who work there are going to need places to eat! It'll help attract much needed restaurants and bars to the area. Tesla is considering building the factory on 2,100 acres along the Texas 130 toll road and Harold Green Road, northeast of Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. The property currently is a sand and gravel mining site. You can checkout a drone video of the area here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wBq9dqB3AU
The workforce would consist of about 65% unskilled labor — and the company is considering workforce relationships with Austin Community College, Workforce Solutions Capital Area and Travis County Justice Planning for workers living in the county or exiting the criminal justice system. "Tesla opening a factory in Southeast Austin will be transformative for Central Texas by adding another layer of diversification and resilience to our economy," Ed Latson, executive director of the Austin Regional Manufacturers Association, said in a statement. "It will create high-paying jobs that provide opportunity to all educational backgrounds, from PhDs to GEDs. And it should be a magnet for an entire ecosystem of businesses and suppliers that support automotive plants and their employees."
The factory would manufacture Tesla’s upcoming Cybertruck electric pickup and also serve as a second site for building its Model Y SUV. The Tesla factory also would create more than 4,000 indirect jobs through related industries, according to an analysis by economist Jon Hockenyos with TXP Inc., which was hired by the county to conduct a study. Hockenyos’ study says that additional jobs and economic activity would result from the ripple effects of Tesla.
The study says Tesla’s factory would generate more than $600 million in annual sales activity, and more than $425 million in new annual wages above and beyond Tesla. In addition, there would be the possibility of relocation, expansions and new firms arising from Tesla seeding an advanced transportation and energy cluster, the study says

Screen-Shot-2020-06-20-at-9-44-11-AM.png
Screen-Shot-2020-06-20-at-9-43-25-AM.png
Screen-Shot-2020-06-20-at-9-43-01-AM.png
Screen-Shot-2020-06-20-at-9-42-27-AM.png
Screen-Shot-2020-06-20-at-9-42-09-AM.png
Screen-Shot-2020-06-20-at-9-32-21-AM.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

https://pluginamerica.org/will-400-mile-tesla-finally-end-range-anxiety/?eType=EmailBlastContent&eId=78e1305a-51e3-47ce-b8a5-536cc9018192

Will 400-mile Tesla finally end range anxiety?

Range anxiety. It’s become such a common phrase that it has its own dictionary entry and Wikipedia page. Tesla’s recent announcement that the new Model S Long Range Plus vehicles have an EPA-rated range of 402 miles may finally end that once and for all.

To be clear: most electric vehicle (EV) drivers know that we rarely, if ever, experience actual range anxiety. The vast majority of driving can easily be accomplished by EVs with even modest ranges. Additionally, EVs can easily be charged at home or at work on a regular basis, so many drivers can wake up to a full “tank” every morning if desired. For those who cannot charge at home or work, the public charging infrastructure is continually improving.

Nevertheless, the perception of range anxiety has persisted. The new 402-mile Tesla Model S is a new milestone in EV range, putting its range on par with many gasoline-powered vehicles. With that many miles, some drivers could go for nearly two weeks between charges!

This is just the latest in the continual improvement in EV batteries and range. Just three years ago, the average range on an all-electric vehicle was 137 miles. Today, the average range on an all-electric vehicle has increased to 235 miles. While Tesla has led the pack in range, the Nissan LEAF, Chevy Bolt, and BMW i3 have also increased their ranges, while new entries like the Hyundai Kona and Kia Niro have ranges in the mid-200s at reasonable prices. (Visit Plug In America’s PlugStar.com to compare them all!)

In a recent Plug In America survey of consumers considering an all-electric vehicle, nearly 80% indicated that they want their vehicle to have a range of more than 200 miles and nearly 30% indicated they want a range of more than 300 miles. Americans want long-range electric vehicles and automakers are promising many more options, so they can’t come soon enough.

Only range anxiety is on a long haul trip but the super charger map and routing makes that easier. We usually stop more frequently and it has its own suckage but to know we aren’t pumping gas or pumping fumes into the atmosphere is helpful. Of course there are places on the planet that are no-go moonscapes now because of mining. Not sure what the long term viable solution is for modern folks but for now this is what we’ve got.

37 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Do we not have an update on the Texas location?  Thought that was imminent a couple of weeks ago.

Yes, the mining site on 130 just north of the Colorado River.

Now we wait for Travis County, Del Valle ISD, and the state of Texas to cough up the incentives.

I'm just surprised that Tesla would even consider Texas or Oklahoma considering it's not even legal to buy a Tesla in either state. My model 3 technically came from California and was shipped here. Such a bullshit law anyway. After going through what I did with Tesla I'll never go to a dealership ever again. What an exhausting experience.

2 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

I'm just surprised that Tesla would even consider Texas or Oklahoma considering it's not even legal to buy a Tesla in either state. My model 3 technically came from California and was shipped here. Such a bullshit law anyway. After going through what I did with Tesla I'll never go to a dealership ever again. What an exhausting experience.

The theory is part of the deal for wherever they go is those laws will be struck down or have a Tesla exception. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 10:46 AM, Wally Fairway said:

If we are doing this - I think it was around $12 when Apple introduced the iPod, I decided to wait and didn't pick any up at that point. To be honest I would have averaged out of 1/2 of it at $40, and some of the rest around $100; but still my bank account cries when I think about that 
(Googled this.....and I cried)

In September that year, it was trading at $4.38 or something 

On 7/1/2020 at 8:41 PM, HRSchenker said:

Tulsa is offering a lot of local tax incentives recently for new business.  Randomly that area is becoming a hub for the cybersecurity industry.  Probably a lot of decent workforce around in the tech industry which will help. Seems odd though since most Oklahomans can't figure out how not to bang their sister and smoke meth.

Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) reported Q2 EPS of $0.50, $0.61 better than the analyst estimate of ($0.11). Revenue for the quarter came in at $6.35 billion versus the consensus estimate of $5.23 billion.

This volatile market is a Trader's Paradise. Get your free alerts by 7:30am EST daily Read More

• $535M increase in our cash and cash equivalents in Q2 to $8.6B
  • Operating cash flow less capex (free cash flow) $418M in Q2
  • $327M GAAP operating income; 5.4% operating margin in Q2 $104M GAAP net income; $451M non-GAAP net income (ex-SBC) in Q2 Four quarters of sequential profitability
  • Next US Gigafactory site selected; preparations underway
  • Increased Model S range to 402 miles (EPA)
  • Model Y and China-made Model 3 production rates continue to increase

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/22/tesla-will-build-its-next-gigafactory-near-austin-texas.html

Tesla will build its newest Gigafactory near Austin, Texas, Chief Executive Elon Musk announced during the company’s earnings call on Wednesday.

The area takes up about 2,000 acres and will be roughly 15 minutes from downtown Austin, Musk said. He said the factory will be an “ecological paradise” and that it will be open to the public.

Musk also added that Tesla will continue to grow in California,w here it will build the Tesla Model S and the Model X for global deliveries and the Tesla Model 3 and Tesla Model Y for North America.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Speculation is that TSLA will be added to the S&P 500, now that it is profitable for 4 consecutive quarters (I think that is some entry criteria), and if that happens my quick back of the envelope calculations are:
S&P 500 market cap - $25.6 trillion
TSLA market cap - $310 billion (about 1.2% of the S&P 500)

A quick search of S&P 500 funds (mutual funds & ETF's) ony adding up the top 20 funds (but really Vanguard and SPY are over $800 billion) is at least $1.2 trillion - and not that TSLA hasn't had off the c/hart stock performance, but this would mean about $12 billion in shares would have to be purchased just to get to mirror the index. So about 5% of the stock, which would certainly drive it up even more. 
Disclaimer
Past performance is no guarantee of future returns, wash your hands, wear your mask, OU still sux

9 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Speculation is that TSLA will be added to the S&P 500, now that it is profitable for 4 consecutive quarters (I think that is some entry criteria), and if that happens my quick back of the envelope calculations are:
S&P 500 market cap - $25.6 trillion
TSLA market cap - $310 billion (about 1.2% of the S&P 500)

A quick search of S&P 500 funds (mutual funds & ETF's) ony adding up the top 20 funds (but really Vanguard and SPY are over $800 billion) is at least $1.2 trillion - and not that TSLA hasn't had off the c/hart stock performance, but this would mean about $12 billion in shares would have to be purchased just to get to mirror the index. So about 5% of the stock, which would certainly drive it up even more. 
Disclaimer
Past performance is no guarantee of future returns, wash your hands, wear your mask, OU still sux

May be the tulip bubble of our time. 

Qtr ending Sept 2018 - revenue $6.8 billion, net income $254 million, cars shipped 83.5 K. Stock price at end of Sept 2018 ~$340 

Qtr ending June 2020 - revenue $ 6.0 billion, net income of $104 million, cars shipped 92 K. Stock price of ~$1650 and rising. 

TSLA makes money in quarters when they elect to sell regulatory credits to other auto manufacturers, and generally loses money if they don't recognize that revenue. They have never turned a quarterly profit without the regulatory credits or other accounting shenanigans. While they can continue to eek out economies of scale and presumably some day manufacture cars profitably, automobile manufacturing is a low margin business. Batteries cost money, steel costs money, leather seats cost money. TSLA isn't  going to change that.

By comparison, in 2019 Toyota had revenues of $250 billion, profits of $20 billion, and their market cap is half of TSLA. Don't know when the insanity ends, but it has to eventually. Or not, who the fuck knows.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Blotto said:

May be the tulip bubble of our time. 

Qtr ending Sept 2018 - revenue $6.8 billion, net income $254 million, cars shipped 83.5 K. Stock price at end of Sept 2018 ~$340 

Qtr ending June 2020 - revenue $ 6.0 billion, net income of $104 million, cars shipped 92 K. Stock price of ~$1650 and rising. 

TSLA makes money in quarters when they elect to sell regulatory credits to other auto manufacturers, and generally loses money if they don't recognize that revenue. They have never turned a quarterly profit without the regulatory credits or other accounting shenanigans. While they can continue to eek out economies of scale and presumably some day manufacture cars profitably, automobile manufacturing is a low margin business. Batteries cost money, steel costs money, leather seats cost money. TSLA isn't  going to change that.

By comparison, in 2019 Toyota had revenues of $250 billion, profits of $20 billion, and their market cap is half of TSLA. Don't know when the insanity ends, but it has to eventually. Or not, who the fuck knows.

While this is true, I also think the days of evaluating a company based on quarterly profits is coming to an end. 

I know my company is not doing quarterly projections anymore. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

While this is true, I also think the days of evaluating a company based on quarterly profits is coming to an end. 

I know my company is not doing quarterly projections anymore. 

What the fuck are you supposed to value a company on instead, the color scheme of its logo?

• Hook 'Em 1

What the fuck are you supposed to value a company on instead, the color scheme of its logo?

It should just be one factor. Way too much importance was placed on it. Enron etc. long term strategy should be a big factor

I’m no stock guru, just my thoughts

3 minutes ago, Updawg said:

It should just be one factor. Way too much importance was placed on it. Enron etc. long term strategy should be a big factor

I’m no stock guru, just my thoughts

Yes, long term strategy is very important because a good strategy should lead to more profits.  You can have all the greatest ideas in the world, solve baldness, develop the next greatest things in weiner pills, cure cancer / AIDS / COVID, develop the next bitcoin that actually gets used by the masses and all sorts of other cool shit.  But if you don't make money, you go out of business and if you go out of business then equity is worthless.

Yes, long term strategy is very important because a good strategy should lead to more profits.  You can have all the greatest ideas in the world, solve baldness, develop the next greatest things in weiner pills, cure cancer / AIDS / COVID, develop the next bitcoin that actually gets used by the masses and all sorts of other cool shit.  But if you don't make money, you go out of business and if you go out of business then equity is worthless.

Agreed but I’ve felt there has been too much pressure by wall st on qtr earnings to the detriment of the whole