Tesla

AeroHorn

Saw Polestar do a popup event in my neighborhood when I was walking the dog.  Checked it out some.... really nice interior, but a bit low on interior room.  Front end looks nice but im not a fan of the car from the B pillar rearwards.  Square and blocky and the XC40 roots really stood out.

Hoping Elon pushes the stock with a nice bump today

Edited by 52-80

4 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

Have you ever driven an all electric cross country?

No. I don't drive cross country very often, last time I can think of was for a wedding in Tennessee. Why drive when I can fly? I do drive my Model 3 between Houston, Austin, and Dallas fairly regularly and without issue. 

On 9/10/2020 at 5:37 PM, Blotto said:

I cant speak to the interior as I have never sat inside the X, but I couldnt disagree more on the exterior. I think the Model X is bland as fuck. The S was a striking car, and despite being a bit long in the tooth, I still think they look sharp when I see them around town. The Model X looks like a mid range cross over from Detroit or Korea....with those stupid ass gull wing doors. Just not my thing I guess. 

2019_tesla_model-x_4dr-suv_performance_s

Someone described the Model x as a computer mouse, and now i cannot unsee it.

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

No. I don't drive cross country very often, last time I can think of was for a wedding in Tennessee. Why drive when I can fly? I do drive my Model 3 between Houston, Austin, and Dallas fairly regularly and without issue. 

Can you make it non stop from central Houston to central Dallas without charging in Corsicana?  If you charge there, how long does it take?  

26 minutes ago, BevoSwag said:

Can you make it non stop from central Houston to central Dallas without charging in Corsicana?  If you charge there, how long does it take?  

I could if I charged to 90%+ before leaving. Even at my daily charge of 80% it would only take a 15 minute charge or so. This is the LR AWD. Now, I would need to charge in Dallas. Usually I can charge at my destination, but if we are talking just a day trip with no destination charger, I'd probably do a 30-45 minute charge before leaving Dallas and then 15 minutes in Corsicana and 15 minutes in Huntsville (charge faster at lower battery levels). 

• Hook 'Em 2

During Tesla's first 'Battery Day' event, CEO Elon Musk showed off the newest version of its oldest sedan: the Model S Plaid.

The newest, fastest, most powerful version of the stalwart Model S will hit 60 mph in under two seconds and top out at 200 mph, Musk said.

The car ran a lap around the famed Laguna Seca track in a little more than 90 seconds, according to Musk.

The $134,490 car is now available for preorder, and should be available by the end of next year.

That kind of performance at that kind of price point will make for some interesting entries into the "pics that make you say holy shit" thread. Hopefully Tesla will find a way to enable that performance while in self driving mode, so owners can nap during the 47 seconds it takes to get to HEB. 

Edited by Blotto

21 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Newsom just signed an executive order essentially banning the sale of new ICE vehicles in CA after 2035. 

Legacy auto makers are going to have to really start making the transition.  I think Ford and a couple of others are serious.  Toyota is in for a wake up call.  I drive a 4Runner and love it, but Toyota is the only big one I've seen that literally said EVs are not happening with them.

46 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Newsom just signed an executive order essentially banning the sale of new ICE vehicles in CA after 2035. 

23 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Legacy auto makers are going to have to really start making the transition.  I think Ford and a couple of others are serious.  Toyota is in for a wake up call.  I drive a 4Runner and love it, but Toyota is the only big one I've seen that literally said EVs are not happening with them.

This will impact the poors most of all, as the value of used ICE will not drop like they have; and poors will struggle to find something they can drive. And I doubt that in my lifetime that used EV's aren't going to be in a price range for that demographic.
Hell I drive what could be called a beater - 9 year old Fusion, almost 250,000 miles on it. I bought it from my daughter when she was going to trade it in (a couple of years ago) and they only offered her $500; I gave her $1G because I'm such a nice guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Wally Fairway said:

This will impact the poors most of all, as the value of used ICE will not drop like they have; and poors will struggle to find something they can drive. And I doubt that in my lifetime that used EV's aren't going to be in a price range for that demographic.
Hell I drive what could be called a beater - 9 year old Fusion, almost 250,000 miles on it. I bought it from my daughter when she was going to trade it in (a couple of years ago) and they only offered her $500; I gave her $1G because I'm such a nice guy.

Probably some truth to this, though 15 years is a LONG time for tech to develop.  Elon said yesterday they are hoping to have a $25k model available within I think 5 years.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Probably some truth to this, though 15 years is a LONG time for tech to develop.  Elon said yesterday they are hoping to have a $25k model available within I think 5 years.

I think cheaper EV cars will come, but batteries will have a useful life and then have to be recycled and new batteries will be expensive.

Also, just thinking about how that law would work. So no new ICE car sales in CA after 2035, so you have to go to AZ, NV or OR to buy a new car, or can they sell used cars in CA say a 2036 with less than 1,000 miles on it. 
Like everything else, there would seem to be a lot of loopholes in an idea like this; but plenty of time to figure that out.

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

And 15 years is a long time to evaluate if the market and consumers are ready for ICE to be phased out. 

The $25K Tesla would be a game-changer in terms of total cost of ownership for a basic vehicle. 

This, 100%.  If the Battery Day stuff makes it to scale in 15-18 months, people will naturally move to EVs as they will be cheaper and more reliable to operate than just about any ICE vehicle within three years.  There are already some life cycle cost analysis videos out there showing that a dual motor LR Model 3 has current life cycle costs on par with a Honda Accord.  And that’s about to get a lot better.  

11 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

This, 100%.  If the Battery Day stuff makes it to scale in 15-18 months, people will naturally move to EVs as they will be cheaper and more reliable to operate than just about any ICE vehicle within three years.  There are already some life cycle cost analysis videos out there showing that a dual motor LR Model 3 has current life cycle costs on par with a Honda Accord.  And that’s about to get a lot better.  

Elon says a lot of shit that will not happen and he has no plans on making happen. Its just what he does (https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/290029-tesla-well-have-full-self-driving-by-2020-robo-taxis-too) . Tesla has missed about every deadline they ever announce. They do innovate, but rarely on the schedule they project. 

But its a certainty as EV adoption increases, battery costs will come down. Tesla will contribute to that, as will other auto manufacturers, as well as the many existing battery manufacturers and startups innovating in the space. Solar panels used to be expensive as shit, but increased adoption rates drove the price down. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Guessing the rolling blackouts will be under control by then?  

The proposed rule would not ban people from owning gas-powered cars or selling them on the used car market.

So then via taxes/registration fees this market will become untenable as well?  Forcing a switch regardless.  Saw the UK is entertaining something similar 

Rolling blackouts are in the afternoon/early evening.  Smart charging/time of use will shift charging hours for EVs to low demand overnight hours.  That’s when most people charge anyway.  Also, V2G can alleviate demand spikes by feeding back to the grid when people get their EVs home in the high demand evening hours and feed into the “virtual power plant.”

5 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Will there be any poor people left in CA in 2035?  Maybe that's why they're not concerned about the impact on the lower and middle class.

There are state and county programs currently available in CA to provide subsidies for low income family purchases of EVs.  That’s not to mention that current trajectories will bring the price of EVs on par with ICE if not lower.  

14 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Rolling blackouts are in the afternoon/early evening.  Smart charging/time of use will shift charging hours for EVs to low demand overnight hours.  That’s when most people charge anyway.  Also, V2G can alleviate demand spikes by feeding back to the grid when people get their EVs home in the high demand evening hours and feed into the “virtual power plant.”

Is "the grid" capable of handling tens of millions of charging vehicles each day/night?  V2G on paper seems impressive, has it been tested anywhere at scale?

25 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Is "the grid" capable of handling tens of millions of charging vehicles each day/night?  V2G on paper seems impressive, has it been tested anywhere at scale?

Full disclosure, I work with a company that’s been running V2G commercially in Denmark since 2017.  Going live in France within the year and UK Q1 ‘21.  We have multiple small projects around the US (Delaware, NY, CA).  Our US V2G projects are focused on School Buses (huge potential as a VPP), but we are in the consumer markets in the EU. 

The rolling blackouts are primarily a result of transmission constraints, not generation constraints.  Generation is expanding with residential solar in CA.  Keep in mind that most people will not be fully charging/discharging their EVs each day.  Combined with stationary batteries, there will be plenty of generation and storage to support future EVs.  

58 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Haha.

They ask people not to run toasters in the afternoon...and this system is going to be awesomer?

Toyota already has the Mirai, a hydrogen fuel cell EV, for sale in CA. Maybe they mean they’re not interested in traditional EVs?

It’s pretty nice looking for a Toyota.

110214dec24fe9467c9f6b509f375a5f.jpg

In truth, the "poors" shouldn't own an automobile anyways.

I don't mean that in an insulting way either.  It's just cars are expensive to buy and maintain.  That money could be better spent on housing costs, or food, or savings.

I understand though, given the way we have built our cities, with such segregation of uses and spread out over vast areas.

Hopefully with better zoning and land use, along with public transport more people will at least have the option of living without a car, regardless of income.

yeah i believe Toyota's non ICE initiatives are largely hydrogen fuel cell based rather than EV. From a consumer adoption standpoint, being able to "fill-up" your car in minutes vs charge your car in hours makes a lot of sense. But there are obviously technical and infrastructure hurdles with that approach as well.

https://medium.com/swlh/toyota-hydrogen-fuel-cell-strategy-f54ff2afcb47

Edited by Blotto
words are hard
  • Hook 'Em 1

@slorch
Ever hear of a “duck curve”?  We produce more wind and solar than we use every single day.  Adequate storage is a game changer and EVs are a mostly untapped resource to time shift renewable energy use.   

The frequency of rolling blackouts is greatly exaggerated.  CA was prepared for it a couple of times last month but never actually came close to using it (6GW surplus in the state on the hottest day) for demand reasons.  Any recent rolling blackouts you heard about were for fire danger reasons, not capacity reasons.  

Edited by Guadaloopy

2 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

@slorch
Ever hear of a “duck curve”?  We produce more wind and solar than we use every single day.  Adequate storage is a game changer and EVs are a mostly untapped resource to time shift renewable energy use.   

The frequency of rolling blackouts is greatly exaggerated.  CA was prepared for it a couple of times last month but never actually came close to using it (6GW surplus in the state on the hottest day) for demand reasons.  Any recent rolling blackouts you heard about were for fire danger reasons, not capacity reasons.  

keep playing the propaganda.  LOlz.  Your posts are written by Tesla, no?

CA has zero history of energy issues.   Everything is fine.

Edited by slorch

51 minutes ago, Blotto said:

yeah i believe Toyota's non ICE initiatives are largely hydrogen fuel cell based rather than EV. From a consumer adoption standpoint, being able to "fill-up" you car in minutes vs charge your car for hours makes a lot of sense. But there obviously technical and infrastructure hurdles with that approach as well.

https://medium.com/swlh/toyota-hydrogen-fuel-cell-strategy-f54ff2afcb47

Yes this. And the prevailing science, right now, seems to be that hydrogen cell tech is nowhere near anything that will outstrip straight EV battery tech and infrastructure. But hey, I’m open to all of it, just seems like toyota is taking a huge risk of being left behind. 

Also, ignore that slorch fella. He has a few short circuits in his bionic implants. 

Could be another reason for toyotas approach.  Hydrogen investment is low risk, high reward.  If the industry is already doing EV, let them mature it, and integrate later when you'll have your pick of suppliers.

I'm probably underestimating the difficulty, but conceptually, a battery tray and magnet motor is hugely more simple as a system than a conventional drivetrain to package and integrate.

1 hour ago, Somnio said:

In truth, the "poors" shouldn't own an automobile anyways.

I don't mean that in an insulting way either.  It's just cars are expensive to buy and maintain.  That money could be better spent on housing costs, or food, or savings.

I understand though, given the way we have built our cities, with such segregation of uses and spread out over vast areas.

Hopefully with better zoning and land use, along with public transport more people will at least have the option of living without a car, regardless of income.

Holy spitballs batman have I ever seen a more elitist and completely clueless statement? Probably, but that is besides the point. Do you think that all of our "poors" live within walking distance of a decent paying job? Or maybe they could just take the bus? Do you think they want to sit around all day being poor and living on government subsidies? Did you compete against a three month old jar of mayonnaise in an IQ contest and loose?

A reliable(ish) form of transportation is probably one of the key things that allows a "poor" to succeed in life and at least make it so that their kids will have a decent shot.

Full disclosure, I work with a company that’s been running V2G commercially in Denmark since 2017.  Going live in France within the year and UK Q1 ‘21.  We have multiple small projects around the US (Delaware, NY, CA).  Our US V2G projects are focused on School Buses (huge potential as a VPP), but we are in the consumer markets in the EU. 

The rolling blackouts are primarily a result of transmission constraints, not generation constraints.  Generation is expanding with residential solar in CA.  Keep in mind that most people will not be fully charging/discharging their EVs each day.  Combined with stationary batteries, there will be plenty of generation and storage to support future EVs.  

We all know people that plug their cell phone up any time they’re near an outlet. You think people won’t be plugging a damn car up?

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

We all know people that plug their cell phone up any time they’re near an outlet. You think people won’t be plugging a damn car up?

It's not quite the same mentality, at least in my experience.  You don't fill your car up every time you're near a gas station.  Same concept.  People get over range anxiety really quickly once they figure out how easy it is to charge at home and how they don't need to do it every night.

Tesla's network appeared to suffer an outage on Wednesday morning that left many owners unable to connect to their car with the company's mobile app.

These tweets, lulz...

Poor bastard couldn't connect to any of his tesla's.....and probably had to use a physical key ......like, like....a common person. T&P coming your way Fred.