Tesla

AeroHorn

10 hours ago, markstanco said:

A mcdonalds worker cant go out and buy an electric car simply because it can charge in 5 minutes. 50+ years away. 

They will as the supply of used cars dries up.  Automakers aren't going to keep building gas cars if there's no market for it...and the used car market isn't the automaker's market so they don't really care about those down the line from the new car buyer.

Except for trains, 18 wheelers, and airplanes.

Plus you have to consider the millions of gas cars kn this country alone. A mcdonalds worker cant go out and buy an electric car simply because it can charge in 5 minutes. 50+ years away. The government screwed up diesel economy with DEF, they will screw this up as well.

We have electric trains today, Bruh.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Toyota CEO thinks we are a long way away and the political incentives for electric vehicles are the wrong way to go. 

one example he used was that if Japan used all electric cars they would have nowhere near the electric power infrastructure to handle them..not to mention the methods used to produce that electricity and batteries and their pollution. 

interesting speech. Of course he is hybrid bias but makes some good points. 

Just to throw a little gas on the fire, most plastics come from petroleum.  So consider how much wire is needed for cars and wind generators.  Think about your laptop and how it's made, not to mention how other crap we all use every day in our lives. If everyone was driving E cars we'd need an asston(maybe even a double asston) of more charging stations, which means more wire.  I don't have the answers, but I'm sure the planet will not run out of crude before I'm dead. I remember in the early 70s government experts claimed the planet was low on crude.  Here we are today, getting more out of the ground than ever before. Some smart SOB will figure it out one day.  If not, then Darwinism here we come.

12 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Toyota CEO thinks we are a long way away and the political incentives for electric vehicles are the wrong way to go. 

one example he used was that if Japan used all electric cars they would have nowhere near the electric power infrastructure to handle them..not to mention the methods used to produce that electricity and batteries and their pollution. 

interesting speech. Of course he is hybrid bias but makes some good points. 

I think “hybrid bias” is being generous. Toyota has staked their entire future on hydrogen fuel cells, which are a long way off right now. I love toyota, but it’s really strange to me they are refusing to jump on the electric bandwagon. 

On 1/23/2021 at 8:55 AM, immamac said:

/nocr - watch this

It was a long, but good watch.  I appreciate his way of thinking.  The concept of how we have basically sent our CO2 overseas was something I really had thought about.  I agree with him pretty much point for point.  He's right, don't be afraid to make mistakes, admit to 'em, adjust/adapt to find the solution.  I have always stated I don't mind guys who make errors working with me or for me;  because to me it shows they are trying.  Errors can be minimized by double checking. Another take away, spend some time with the opposition and just talk.  It will lead to a middle ground and way to find the answers.  As he was talking about it I thought about the old saying "if you got 2 quarterbacks, you got no quarterback".  So I considered it in terms of Dems and Reps.   So what do we have as leadership?  Yikes!  Just whose interest do they have in mind? Just my opinion/observation, by the time the folks in DC come to an agreement about a problem, the original problem has grown or morphed into something else.  Sorta like building a freeway, by the time they are done, it still isn't enough.

Electricity.  Boil some water, make some steam and turn a turbine.  Fossil fuel, nuclear, or wood products.  Fossil fuels-will they run out?  Nuclear-what do we do with the waste?  Wood-well shit, we can't claim to be green and want to charge our EV's and phones.  We will run out of trees.  Wind, solar, wave action and other (at this time) just don't make it fast enough.  But I guess we/someone is trying.  Somewhere there is a balance.

I sent the vid link to my two green minded daughters (23 and 21, and no picts).  They are tech heavy and lecture me on the evils of fossil fuels.  I think the battery discussion will prove to be of particular interest to them.   Definitely food for thought.  Thanks for the link, my bro.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wife is interested in a Tesla for her next vehicle. Probably looking to buy in the next 2-4 months and it would be either the Model 3 or the Model Y based mainly on cost.

She has a 4Runner currently so it would be a big change for her, but I also have a new 4Runner that I'll keep for a while, so we still have the SUV when the situation calls for it. She drives mostly in town, under 30 miles a day. Might occasionally drive DFW-Austin or DFW-Houston, but for anything longer we would take my 4Runner.

Model 3 new, AWD, long-range, white, 19" wheels, black interior = $48,490 before taxes

Model Y new, AWD, long-range, white exterior, 20" wheels, black interior = $51,990 before taxes

The cost difference is so small that I don't see a reason to get the Model 3 over the Model Y, but maybe I'm missing something? The Model 3 has a little bit longer range and probably better acceleration, anything else?

My tentative plan is to buy the car with its default Autopilot and then likely add Full Self Driving later. Any reason that's a bad idea?

I would also be buying the $500 wall connector and getting an electrician to do the home install. Are there other hidden costs?

Thanks for educating me. Although I've loosely paid attention, this is all pretty new to me.

48 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Wife is interested in a Tesla for her next vehicle. Probably looking to buy in the next 2-4 months and it would be either the Model 3 or the Model Y based mainly on cost.

She has a 4Runner currently so it would be a big change for her, but I also have a new 4Runner that I'll keep for a while, so we still have the SUV when the situation calls for it. She drives mostly in town, under 30 miles a day. Might occasionally drive DFW-Austin or DFW-Houston, but for anything longer we would take my 4Runner.

Model 3 new, AWD, long-range, white, 19" wheels, black interior = $48,490 before taxes

Model Y new, AWD, long-range, white exterior, 20" wheels, black interior = $51,990 before taxes

The cost difference is so small that I don't see a reason to get the Model 3 over the Model Y, but maybe I'm missing something? The Model 3 has a little bit longer range and probably better acceleration, anything else?

My tentative plan is to buy the car with its default Autopilot and then likely add Full Self Driving later. Any reason that's a bad idea?

I would also be buying the $500 wall connector and getting an electrician to do the home install. Are there other hidden costs?

Thanks for educating me. Although I've loosely paid attention, this is all pretty new to me.

I have a Model 3 long range, white, 19" wheels, black interior and a 4Runner.  So I feel like I should be able to answer this.

If you need extra space for whatever reason (kids, cargo) then maybe the Model Y would be better?, but they are 75% identical cars.  I love the Model 3 and I take my dogs everywhere with no real space issues.  Acceleration, if you've never driven an electric car, is amazing no matter what.  I think honestly it's just personal preference at this point.

I would agree waiting for FSD, as the tech just isn't there yet, HOWEVER don't necessarily expect it to be the same price if you do decide to upgrade.  Honestly, autopilot by itself is fine.  I can't imagine using FSD that much ever, especially when 98% of the rest of the world is still on manual control.

Wall connector, yes, do it.  After tax rebates, it ended up being less than $500 total.  I used this company which was great and also took care of all the tax stuff for me.

https://smartchargeamerica.com/locations/austin/

A lot of my Tesla info came from this guy, who is kind of annoying after a while, but is a data geek and puts out a lot of Tesla videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbEbf0-PoSuHD0TgMbxomDg

Since you just got a new 4Runner, I have a 2004 with 209k miles.  I am thinking about getting a TRD Pro in the next year or so.  Any thoughts on that?

Edited by Biff Tannen

9 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Correct, cost difference is negligible.  Model Y has more volume.  Taller.  More headroom in rear.  3rd row option.  More cargo.  etc.

Model 3 is marginally faster, marginally sportier given the less weight, distributed more low.  And I think it looks better.  But for all purposes besides the above, they are the same.

If you just drive it in town, and do not use it as your 200 mi/day car, 220V wall charging is actually sufficient.  But a dedicated wall connector is very nice to have.  (And hell, if you live in Texas, it would be very tempting to go the whole hog with solar array and battery storage....) 

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

If you just drive it in town, and do not use it as your 200 mi/day car, 220V wall charging is actually sufficient.  But a dedicated wall connector is very nice to have. 

This is true, however I will say in the few instances where I've forgotten to charge for a long trip or needed a few extra miles quickly, the wall charger is nice to have.  Not a deal breaker either way though.

18 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I wouldn't pay the extra for it until there's a release date.  Right now, you could be paying an $8K premium for it and then selling the car before it even comes out. Yeah, it could affect resale value not having it but I wouldn't give a shit.

21 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I wouldn't pay the extra for it until there's a release date.  Right now, you could be paying an $8K premium for it and then selling the car before it even comes out. Yeah, it could affect resale value not having it but I wouldn't give a shit.

yup.

also theres a lot of weirdness about your equity of the FSD and whether it carries with the car or the owner and etc.

theres also very good chance FSD will be issued on a subscription basis if Elon wants a recurring revenue stream and also monetize by selling/license to other vendors.

and i'd rather have it on a subscription basis than pay right now for something that doesnt completely work.

Yeah, I think there was a recent report saying that Tesla doesn't consider FSD in any of their trade-in pricing, so if you were to try to trade in an old Tesla for a newer one, you're shit out of luck on that FSD charge you paid, plus you'd have to pay for it again on whatever new Tesla you got. A subscription-based program that's tied to your Tesla account seems to be the logical solution to that problem.

On 1/27/2021 at 7:19 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Since you just got a new 4Runner, I have a 2004 with 209k miles.  I am thinking about getting a TRD Pro in the next year or so.  Any thoughts on that?

I had a 2001 with around 160k miles. It was in great condition and I never had a compelling reason to get rid of it other than it was 19 years old. I bought a 2020 SR5 model so nothing fancy, but it's been great so far. The TRD Pros look really nice.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks everyone for the feedback regarding potential Tesla purchase. I'm thinking it will be the Model Y long range, but probably a couple more months before pulling the trigger.

On a separate note, is there a thread on this site for the general discussion of EVs vs. ICEs and the future of the auto industry? I'm interested in learning more about other car companies shifting to EVs (for instance, GM recently announced goal of 100% EVs by 2035 and that seems worthy of discussion), environmental impact of EV production including mining of battery components, recycling of batteries, end of life concerns, electricity production as charging demands increase, etc. I don't have a dog in the fight in the EV vs. ICE debate, but I would like to be better informed on the topic as a whole. Should that be a separate thread somewhere?

6 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback regarding potential Tesla purchase. I'm thinking it will be the Model Y long range, but probably a couple more months before pulling the trigger.

On a separate note, is there a thread on this site for the general discussion of EVs vs. ICEs and the future of the auto industry? I'm interested in learning more about other car companies shifting to EVs (for instance, GM recently announced goal of 100% EVs by 2035 and that seems worthy of discussion), environmental impact of EV production including mining of battery components, recycling of batteries, end of life concerns, electricity production as charging demands increase, etc. I don't have a dog in the fight in the EV vs. ICE debate, but I would like to be better informed on the topic as a whole. Should that be a separate thread somewhere?

This thread has been kinda the catch all for those topics, but sure. Start a new one. Lots of people here with different info and opinions. 

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I was a reluctant EV buyer but the regulatory environment where I lived made it a 500hp vs 200hp decision which was a no brainer. 

Along the way it opened my eyes to the change in the political landscape. The incentives and mandates are ruling ICE out of existence from every place on earth. 

I don’t think these decisions are necessarily sound. Politicians only act to the extent that it affects them today rather than tomorrow (and as the Gamestock debacle continues we know short term is divorced from long term fundamentals). 

I’ve seen the repercussions in my own industry and it is very safe to say, EV cars are the cars of the future, whether we agree with it or not. 

• 2 weeks later...

/nocr - watch this

Interesting but what's he really advocating for? Helping Asia and the 3rd world get to natural gas instead of developing with coal? Not banning fossil fuels because batteries are not the answer? 

/nocr - watch this

I’ve seen that and I still have the same question - while he’s right green renewable is incapable of solving the problem - he doesn’t really propose one. His micro environmental solutions (clean water and clean air) are spot on he still has no answer for global climate change.

On 2/13/2021 at 5:35 PM, Guadaloopy said:

I have never enjoyed a vehicle purchase so much.  Brings a smile to my face every time I walk out and see it.  597F5569-BDDF-45F7-B5E9-AA39B1CD4646.thumb.jpeg.8eeda46f8e9eddc5695622e3b72198c8.jpeg

I was shocked how much I actually loved my first Tesla it was crazy.  We have a Macan in the garage too and as bad ass as that car is I still prefer my X.

21 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Was it plugged in pre-power outage?  Wondering how long it's going to last you.

Computer system is 500w or thereabouts, and around 3000w for the heating system at reasonable level. 

if you use both you could get about 20 hours from a full charge

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Was it plugged in pre-power outage?  Wondering how long it's going to last you.

I charged it to the max last night before the storm rolled in, been watching Netflix for the past 6 hours with the heater on and losing 4 miles per hour. Being told I won’t get electricity back until Wednesday night, gonna see how comfortable an air mattress is in the trunk of a model 3 tonight.

16 minutes ago, Walte464 said:

I charged it to the max last night before the storm rolled in, been watching Netflix for the past 6 hours with the heater on and losing 4 miles per hour. Being told I won’t get electricity back until Wednesday night, gonna see how comfortable an air mattress is in the trunk of a model 3 tonight.

Camper mode baby.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ever since GigaTexas was announced, internet denizens have combined the Longhorn logo with the Tesla logo. I just liked the combo of two things I enjoy in one shirt.  I don’t own any Tesla stock, so I’m not personally “bullish” on Tesla, but I am excited and optimistic about the company’s future.  

/nocr - watch this

I just want to point out that Scott Tinker is the head honcho at UT's Bureau of Economic Geology, that the bureau gets a huge amount of money from oil and gas concerns,  and that Tinker himself is known by those with whom he works as an arrogant, egotistical dick.

Carry on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

I may be jumping onto this thread as an owner soon.

Wife is set on a bigger EV (has the BMW i3 currently). It's between the Model Y and Audi e-Tron. Personally, I like the luxury-car features of the e-Tron, but it's gonna be her daily driver and baby hauler. So having 7 seats is a plus when hauling around kids + their friends. 

We have test driven both. I have negotiated the Audi down to under 70K, plus we would get the tax credit (I pay estimated taxes, so I would just owe less next year); but the Y with the long range + 7 seats is under 60K even with taxes and destination charge. We will probably trade her i3 unless someone here wants to buy one from us.

Here's where my head is at right now

Audi e-Tron: 

• Pros:
    • More luxurious inside
    • Better colors (this is objective, but I agree with her)
    • Handles more like a sports car
    • Doesn't look like a EV (also objective, but we both agree that is a pro)
    • Qualifies for $7,500 tax credit
    • Can get 0% financing through Audi
  • Cons:
    • More expensive
    • shorter range (~250 miles)
    • only seats 5

Tesla Model Y: 

• Pros:
    • Less expensive
    • Seats 7
    • autopilot features
    • Better range (~320 miles)
  • Cons:
    • Less luxurious inside
    • handles more sedan-y (yes, we tried sport mode)
    • no $7,500 tax credit
    • financing through Tesla is a joke (2.5%, c'mon!), but probably will still be around 1.9% or so at our credit union so not 0%, so this will add at least $2K to cost over a 60-month loan

Despite that list above having more pros for Audi and more cons for Tesla, she is leaning towards the Model Y. It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison. I realize I'm in the Tesla thread, but anything else to consider before we pull trigger one way or the other?

8 hours ago, tokamak said:

Are the 3rd row seats in the Model Y even usable? The only pics I can find online make the legroom look pretty much nonexistent.

They are small, but will be used by 5-7 year olds in booster seats for the next few years. So big enough for them. 

She pulled the trigger on the Model Y today. Extended range, upgraded wheels, 7 seater, in the grey color.

Of course, that just means it is on order. We will have the car in "1-10 weeks." It's weird to say that you pulled a trigger, but only actually pay $100 for now. 

So I guess I will officially go ahead and join this thread. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hornian said:

She pulled the trigger on the Model Y today. Extended range, upgraded wheels, 7 seater, in the grey color.

Of course, that just means it is on order. We will have the car in "1-10 weeks." It's weird to say that you pulled a trigger, but only actually pay $100 for now. 

So I guess I will officially go ahead and join this thread. 

It's a fun time man.  You will both enjoy it.  

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I dig the electric mustang.  Haven't seen one in the wild.  Are they available already?

the initial delivery were delayed (surprise surprise) but the first batches have been released in the wild now