Tesla

AeroHorn

On 4/1/2021 at 2:09 PM, 52-80 said:

Did you look at a mustang ?  They’re pretty. 

She did, I didn't. Said "that's a not from me dawg" to it. Big reason is we are expecting #3 later this year, she didn't think 3 carseats across would really fit in the back of the Mach-E. Also, why call it a mustang? 

On 4/1/2021 at 2:56 PM, Biff Tannen said:

I dig the electric mustang.  Haven't seen one in the wild.  Are they available already?

I've seen one in the wild---considering I live in a town in Oklahoma with 20K population, it was one of those "did I just see what I thought I saw" moments.

• Like 1

Dude owns a Tesla. He bought a Mustang Mach E and drove it across the country. He made a short video describing the experiences i.e. his impressions of the Mustang vs. the Tesla.  Now getting death threats from Tesla owners despite the fact that he owns a 2020 Tesla.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2021/04/04/tesla-owner-threats-praising-ford-mustang-mach-e/7082995002/

32 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Dude owns a Tesla. He bought a Mustang Mach E and drove it across the country. He made a short video describing the experiences i.e. his impressions of the Mustang vs. the Tesla.  Now getting death threats from Tesla owners despite the fact that he owns a 2020 Tesla.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2021/04/04/tesla-owner-threats-praising-ford-mustang-mach-e/7082995002/

doubtless there is a subset of tesla folks who are dyed in the wool cultists.  that said, this wasn't an innocent article with no motive, its a puff piece (from detroit press? coincidence?) with a lot of inaccuracies and retardartion.  whether its with malice or not, say stupid shit in public and you get the heat.

A feature that made the trip especially efficient, he said, is one shared by Ford and Hyundai that allows the vehicle to coast — it's called "free wheeling." The less resistance the car has, the less energy it uses, Rodriguez explained.

"You can turn off the regeneration and, if you're going down a hill, the car will do almost a neutral phase, just let it roll. You can coast to 80 mph. And you're not using any fuel," he said. "Imagine a gas car and putting it into neutral and not use gas. Tesla automatically regenerates as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator, and it slows down."

dont take your foot off the accel, retard.  freewheeling is a consequence, speed is the target.  use throttle pedal to dictate your speed, the elevation determines whether car needs to apply power, regen, or coast.  this implementation literally cannot use more energy than in Ford or Hyundai.

He didn't mind potential repair hiccups in the Mach-E,... Rodriguez said, referring to a recall Ford announced Friday for fewer than 75 Mach-E SUVs for a loose bolt on the subframe. 

"It's a subframe bolt. I don't care,"

lol.

The Mach-E is perfect for somebody new to electric vehicles...It has gauges that are easy to understand, shifting is easy, and Mach-E tells the driver how many miles remain on the battery charge. "Tesla gives you crazy numbers that require arithmetic to figure out what you're getting per mile. What the Mach-E does is show how many miles per kilowatt hour, which is more like miles per gallon. It's more user-friendly," he said

In arithmetic terms, B/A is somehow crazier than A/B?  By the way, Tesla will show the battery gauge in distance units, and the entire rest of the world uses consumption/distance

etc etc.

48 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

doubtless there is a subset of tesla folks who are dyed in the wool cultists.  that said, this wasn't an innocent article with no motive, its a puff piece (from detroit press? coincidence?) with a lot of inaccuracies and retardartion.  whether its with malice or not, say stupid shit in public and you get the heat.

dont take your foot off the accel, retard.  freewheeling is a consequence, speed is the target.  use throttle pedal to dictate your speed, the elevation determines whether car needs to apply power, regen, or coast.  this implementation literally cannot use more energy than in Ford or Hyundai.

lol.

In arithmetic terms, B/A is somehow crazier than A/B?  By the way, Tesla will show the battery gauge in distance units, and the entire rest of the world uses consumption/distance

etc etc.

Lol. Fucking internet. People be crazy. I love my tesla. Don’t really care if other people do or not. I don’t need their validation. 

49 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

lol.

etc etc.

I don't write the news. I just link to the news as reported by Phoebe Wall Howard of the Detroit Free Press.

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Lol. Fucking internet. People be crazy. I love my tesla. Don’t really care if other people do or not. I don’t need their validation. 

You may love your Tesla, but I doubt you'd issue death threats to a guy who owns a Tesla and then bought a Mustang. It seems a bit much.

25 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Tesla is basically politics at this point. 
A ton of extremists involved on both sides. Many who have zero incentive tied to it, but make it a personal/emotional attachment. 

I wonder if it would be nearly as political if Elon weren’t such a firebrand. 

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

Just ordered a Model Y for the wife. Long range model, black exterior, upgraded wheels, white interior. Estimated delivery late May.

80838ecf-dc91-45e1-8fde-fd0f09d0946d_tex

Also, on NPR today they had a woman on from the Wall Street Journal that covers "the auto industry" and her knowledge of electric vehicles was about 4 years behind.  The host asked her how long it takes to charge and she said she took a "road trip" in an electric car a couple of years ago and it took HOURS to charge.  We don't need this kind of disinformation being spewed out there.  Luckily they did have someone on afterward to refute her, but he was talking in terms of kWh and that is meaningless to most people.

7 hours ago, hornfan785 said:

In the process of selling my Audi A4 and planning on finally buying the Model 3 that I've been wanting for years now, and of course they raise the price $500 yet again today. That's 3 times they've done that in the last month.

Wait for Biden’s tax break on Tesla, it’ll kill that price increase.

On 4/9/2021 at 4:39 PM, wild_turkey said:

Just ordered a Model Y for the wife. Long range model, black exterior, upgraded wheels, white interior. Estimated delivery late May.

How many times has your delivery date been pushed back? My wife is on 2 now. 

Still loving our Y but Jesus fuck is Tesla service a beating: terrible communication, consistently failed results, significant wasted time.

We’ve now traveled to the dealership 3 times to pick up our vehicle, only to find the same scratches that we called out on delivery staring us in the face.

It’s really the only aspect of Audi that I miss, but the gap in service is wider than most of Vic’s lady friends...

2 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Still loving our Y but Jesus fuck is Tesla service a beating: terrible communication, consistently failed results, significant wasted time.

We’ve now traveled to the dealership 3 times to pick up our vehicle, only to find the same scratches that we called out on delivery staring us in the face.

It’s really the only aspect of Audi that I miss, but the gap in service is wider than most of Vic’s lady friends...

That really sucks to hear.  I've only had good experiences with them, but maybe I'm just lucky.  I'm hoping that when the Gigafactory in Austin is finished, it will have a large service center, which should alleviate some of the delays at least. 

• Like 1

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/18/no-one-was-driving-in-tesla-crash-that-killed-two-men-in-spring-texas-report.html

Two men died in a Tesla crash in Spring, Texas on Saturday night, and apparently nobody was behind the wheel, according to local police interviewed by reporter Deven Clarke at NBC affiliate KPRC 2.
The Tesla vehicle, a 2019 Model S, crashed into a tree and burst into flames, according to the reports. One person was found in the front passenger seat, and another in the rear passenger seat of the vehicle.

Based on a preliminary investigation, police told KPRC 2 they believe nobody had been behind the wheel, but they have not finished their comprehensive investigation. A preliminary investigation is not conclusive.
Fire fighters reportedly used 32,000 gallons of water and spent hours suppressing the fire that resulted from the electric vehicle crash.
Police told the New York Times that minutes before the crash, the wives of the men involved heard them say they wanted to go for a drive, and were talking about the vehicle’s Autopilot feature. The men were 59 and 69 years old.

As CNBC has previously reported, Tesla sells automated driving systems under the brand monikers Autopilot, and Full Self-Driving (FSD). It also releases a “beta” version of Full Self Driving (FSD beta) software to some customers who have the premium FSD option, which currently costs $10,000.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk said on a Feb. 11 episode of the Joe Rogan Experience podcast: “I think Autopilot’s getting good enough that you won’t need to drive most of the time unless you really want to.”

Tesla Autopilot and FSD are not capable of controlling the electric vehicles in all normal driving circumstances.
In a letter to the California DMV late last year, according to records obtained by CNBC and others, Tesla lawyers said that “neither Autopilot nor FSD Capability is an autonomous system.” And in their owners’ manuals, Tesla cautions drivers: “The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous.”

I honestly can't believe Tesla hasn't been fined excessively by the government for this self driving bullshit. It's clearly not ready to go, yet Tesla allows fucktards to go for a cruise with nobody in the driver's seat. Whatever simple disclaimers they hide behind ain't cutting it. You can't tell people they need to be in control at all times, while Elon is boasting about FSD on Joe Rogan. People are stupid, we live in a society that eats Tide pods for fucks sake.

Sensors in the seats, steering wheels etc can absolutely prevent this shit, yet Tesla apparently doesn't care. They are basically beta testing their software with their customer's lives at stake. I don't get how they get away with this bullshit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blotto said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/18/no-one-was-driving-in-tesla-crash-that-killed-two-men-in-spring-texas-report.html

I honestly can't believe Tesla hasn't been fined excessively by the government for this self driving bullshit. It's clearly not ready to go, yet Tesla allows fucktards to go for a cruise with nobody in the driver's seat. Whatever simple disclaimers they hide behind ain't cutting it. You can't tell people they need to be in control at all times, while Elon is boasting about FSD on Joe Rogan. People are stupid, we live in a society that eats Tide pods for fucks sake.

Sensors in the seats, steering wheels etc can absolutely prevent this shit, yet Tesla apparently doesn't care. They are basically beta testing their software with their customer's lives at stake. I don't get how they get away with this bullshit.

They actually don't.

Autopilot requires:

* weight on the driver's seat

* driver's seat belted

* regular torque input on the steering wheel (30sec or something like that)

To not be able to go with someone in the driver's seat, requires very deliberate operator choice to hack/override the system with defeating device (e.g. steering weights).  This is literally no different than turning on cruise control and lane-departure-assist on ANY OTHER CAR, and moving out of the seat. 

Of course, headline's gonna headline.

This was a dumb stunt gone wrong and they deserved to die.  Thankfully they didn't crash into anyone else.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

They actually don't.

Autopilot requires:

* weight on the driver's seat

* driver's seat belted

* regular torque input on the steering wheel (30sec or something like that)

To not be able to go with someone in the driver's seat, requires very deliberate operator choice to hack/override the system with defeating device (e.g. steering weights).  This is literally no different than turning on cruise control and lane-departure-assist on ANY OTHER CAR, and moving out of the seat. 

Of course, headline's gonna headline.

This was a dumb stunt gone wrong and they deserved to die.  Thankfully they didn't crash into anyone else.

Except nobody would attempt it with cruise control or lane assist, because no other  auto manufacturer's tout their technology as "auto pilot" or charge an additional 10K for "full self driving".  Here's Musk during their Q4 2019 earnings call

“We will be feature complete full self driving this year. The car will be able to find you in a parking lot, pick you up, take you all the way to your destination without an intervention this year. I’m certain of that. That is not a question mark. It will be essentially safe to fall asleep and wake up at their destination towards the end of next year”

We'll see just how much effort is needed to "hack" Tesla's precautions and whether these yahoos in Spring were super hackers or a couple of drunk guys (59 and 69) out for a joy ride. The government forces companies to recall products all the time if they present the possibility of accidental death (baby toys etc...) through the CPSC. I guess automobiles fall under the NTHSA, but they have recall authority as well. All Tesla has to do is turn that shit off.

I have no doubt Tesla could do more to stop this shit, but they are also under tremendous pressure as they've been charging $10k for a product they haven't actually delivered. 

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-owners-take-to-reddit-asking-what-happens-if-full-1846553907

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Except nobody would attempt it with cruise control or lane assist, because no other  auto manufacturer's tout their technology as "auto pilot" or charge an additional 10K for "full self driving".  Here's Musk during their Q4 2019 earnings call

We'll see just how much effort is needed to "hack" Tesla's precautions and whether these yahoos in Spring were super hackers or a couple of drunk guys (59 and 69) out for a joy ride. The government forces companies to recall products all the time if they present the possibility of accidental death (baby toys etc...) through the CPSC. I guess automobiles fall under the NTHSA, but they have recall authority as well. All Tesla has to do is turn that shit off.

I have no doubt Tesla could do more to stop this shit, but they are also under tremendous pressure as they've been charging $10k for a product they haven't actually delivered. 

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-owners-take-to-reddit-asking-what-happens-if-full-1846553907

The car's system will not and does not operate driverless as proposed.  You can't just get in the passenger seat and have it chauffer you.  You can't sit in the back and initiate a drive through your phone.  The only way you ever find yourself out of the driver's seat is if you very deliberately and willfully extract yourself... by which time the steering wheel will already have nagged you for feedback. 

There is no person in the world who have bothered to read beyond the headline, who can assess that scenario and put it on the car/brand due to somehow promoting or encouraging such a scenario. 

You're saying Tesla bears responsibility because Elon said it in an earnings call?  How many owners of the 1,000,000 cars sold have listened to an earnings call? 

This isn't a minivan or a 1960s sedan with front row bench seating.  You need to be a 5'2" contortionist to climb across the center console.  It's a dumbass stunt and they paid the dumbass tax.  What your opinion about how much Tesla  charges for their options shouldn't play anything into this.

11 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

The car's system will not and does not operate driverless as proposed.  You can't just get in the passenger seat and have it chauffer you.  You can't sit in the back and initiate a drive through your phone.  The only way you ever find yourself out of the driver's seat is if you very deliberately and willfully extract yourself... by which time the steering wheel will already have nagged you for feedback. 

There is no person in the world who have bothered to read beyond the headline, who can assess that scenario and put it on the car/brand due to somehow promoting or encouraging such a scenario. 

You're saying Tesla bears responsibility because Elon said it in an earnings call?  How many owners of the 1,000,000 cars sold have listened to an earnings call? 

This isn't a minivan or a 1960s sedan with front row bench seating.  You need to be a 5'2" contortionist to climb across the center console.  It's a dumbass stunt and they paid the dumbass tax.  What your opinion about how much Tesla  charges for their options shouldn't play anything into this.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/09/11/idiots-in-tesla-autopilot-singing-highway-alcohol/

Let me make my argument in a simpler fashion. The car should not operate without anybody in the driver seat. Period. The technology is not yet ready. It's a simple precaution and they don't implement it. Tesla should expect people to try it, because there's videos of people doing it. People are fucking stupid. 

Edited by Blotto

56 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Let me make my argument in a simpler fashion. The car should not operate without anybody in the driver seat. Period.

No car should operate without anybody in the driver seat.

The question is what does this have to do with Tesla?  You could turn on cruise control on your Silverado and slide off to another seat all the same (and deserve to die all the same)

Tesla should expect people to try it, because there's videos of people doing it.

It's Tesla-specific because of this?  Tide and and Gain and Arm&Hammer should stop making laundry detergents because dumbass kids eat Tide Pods?

People are fucking stupid. 

No arguments there.  Good riddance to the Texas morons. 

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

The question is what does this have to do with Tesla?  You could turn on cruise control on your Silverado and slide off to another seat all the same (and deserve to die all the same)

I see a distinction in Tesla charging an additional 10,000 for a feature called full self driving, while the Silverado makes no such claim. And despite whatever small print Tesla hides behind, the man behind the company is out there claiming that Teslas are essentially self driving today. Additionally, the Silverado owners know that it will never attempt to steer, brake, navigate to a specific location,etc... while the Tesla will drive at a pretty good success rate, just like it advertises in its fancy brochures. Tesla could choose to add a few more lines of code  and disable FSD the moment there is nobody in the driver seat, but choose not to for some strange reason.  They could actually choose to disable the whole fucking thing until the technology actually works.

You see no distinction between Tesla actively selling today a product branded as "auto pilot" with "full self driving" capability and other auto companies who do not. We just fundamentally disagree. I just find Tesla's approach to "releasing" self driving technology to be incredibly cavalier.  I suspect the matter will be litigated extensively as the deaths pile up. I don't give a fuck about the dipshit Tesla owners, it's the people they will hit. That's just a matter of time. And TSLA finally has some deep fucking pockets.

Edited by Blotto

9 hours ago, Blotto said:

https://www.tmz.com/2020/09/11/idiots-in-tesla-autopilot-singing-highway-alcohol/

Let me make my argument in a simpler fashion. The car should not operate without anybody in the driver seat. Period. The technology is not yet ready. It's a simple precaution and they don't implement it. Tesla should expect people to try it, because there's videos of people doing it. People are fucking stupid. 

So that first video, yeah, I don't know how they did that, because that is not how it works.  There is something that the "driver" isn't telling us.  Whether it was digitally edited or whatever.  That is not how it works.

At the end of the 2nd video, he explained how he rigged everything to trick the car into thinking someone was still in the front seat.  

I'm confused as to why you're upset with Tesla because people are idiots.  

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm confused as to why you're upset with Tesla because people are idiots. 

I don't know how many different ways I can type the same thing. Tesla FSD is not production ready. They are beta testing the technology on our streets as they profit from people paying thousands for the privilege of beta testing the software for them. In this case, the only fatalities were two morons that fucked around and found out, and presumably at least one of them accepted the terms of the beta trial. But if (when, really) innocent people are killed because a teslatard decides to push the limits on their not ready for production FSD system, its a different ballgame.

I have seem multiple videos of people cruising with no one in the driver seat. I don't care that they aren't following Tesla's safety precautions. Tesla is selling a  lightening fast hunk of metal cruising around our streets and the responsibility is on them to make it damn difficult to do what these people are doing. It is clear that there does not need to be a driver in the driver seat for FSD to function, as long as someone touches the wheel or uses some contraption to fool the car. they could correct that with a few lines of code. But they don't for some reason.

My bigger concern is with Tesla releasing this technology into the wild in its current state, and how they market the technology. Its not ready, and people will have a false sense of security when it operates smoothly for two weeks and won't be as vigilant when needed. Its human nature to let your guard down. This is a long video and it shows the car doing what is should, and also plenty of  fuck ups.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

I have seem multiple videos of people cruising with no one in the driver seat. I don't care that they aren't following Tesla's safety precautions. Tesla is selling a  lightening fast hunk of metal cruising around our streets and the responsibility is on them to make it damn difficult to do what these people are doing. It is clear that there does not need to be a driver in the driver seat for FSD to function, as long as someone touches the wheel or uses some contraption to fool the car. they could correct that with a few lines of code. But they don't for some reason.

My bigger concern is with Tesla releasing this technology into the wild in its current state, and how they market the technology. Its not ready, and people will have a false sense of security when it operates smoothly for two weeks and won't be as vigilant when needed. Its human nature to let your guard down. This is a long video and it shows the car doing what is should, and also plenty of  fuck ups. 

You are simultaneously extrapolating and conflating things.  This video shows FSD fuck up, but how do you make the leap from this, to a person (or multiple person) LEAVING THE DRIVER SEAT and crashing (or sometimes, NOT crashing!). 

Let's say this video shows pessimism on functionality of FSM, how do they get from this point to sitting driverless in the backseat?  You would have to almost-literally jump through hoops to extract yourself from the seat.  You cannot just get in the back seat and tell the car to go.  Let me say that again:  there is no fucking scenario when a person can casually sit in the car as a passenger and have it start driving, because they were "mislead" that the car can drive itself.  It is a circus act of ACTIVELY DEFEATING THE SYSTEM to get to the "multiple videos" of stunts that you see.  It is no different from Ghostriding the Whip memes.  It is NOT THE CAR.

To be clear, my personal opinion is that today's incarnation of FSD is pretty much wankery.  I also don't think tomorrow's dream of a driverless car will be realized in 1, 3, 5 years.

That said, trying to pin this particular accident on the car is really like blaming a stabbing on kitchen knives.  It is profoundly a leap of logic to ascribe the blame that way

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

this fucking guy, lulz

A San Francisco man who was arrested for riding in the back seat of his Tesla as it drove on the highway says he'll keep pulling the stunt after being released from jail — and he'll keep buying more cars as they get impounded. 

After getting booked on two counts of reckless driving, Param Sharma arrived for a Wednesday interview with the Bay Area news station KTVU riding in the back seat of a Tesla again. But it wasn't the same car that California Highway Patrol pulled him over in. 

The day after being released from jail on Tuesday, he told the channel, Sharma bought a new Tesla Model 3 because the other was impounded. Also, he is "very rich," he told KTVU. 

"I have unlimited money to blow on Teslas. If you take away my Tesla, I will get another Tesla. That's how it works," Sharma said. 

The California Highway Patrol said Tuesday it had arrested Sharma for reckless driving and disobeying a peace officer. The arrest came after videos circulated online of Sharma riding down the highway in the back seat. He had been cited for the same offense in April, police said. 

The incident is just the latest to spark scrutiny around how some Tesla drivers abuse the company's driver-assistance features. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has opened investigations into more than two dozen Tesla crashes, including a fatal incident in April that police said occurred with nobody in the driver's seat. 

Sharma told KTVU he bought a Tesla with the Full Self-Driving package but seemed overly confident in the feature's abilities. The $10,000 advanced driver-assistance system — a step up from the standard Autopilot feature — enables a car to automatically change lanes, navigate highway on-ramps and exits, and recognize stop signs and traffic lights.

But it does not make Teslas autonomous, and the company says drivers need to pay full attention when using it. 

"It's like a living room back here. I'm relaxing in luxury while Elon Musk chauffeurs me," he told KTVU.

Even in its most advanced iteration, the Full Self-Driving system has major flaws. Tesla tells the software's beta testers to be vigilant, as the feature could "do the wrong thing at the worst time." In tests, Consumer Reports said Full Self Driving performed inconsistently and sometimes disengaged without warning. 

Still, Sharma said he has no plans to stop riding in the back seat of his car, despite the clear dangers the stunt poses to pedestrians and other drivers. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-fsd-back-seat-driving-stunt-arrested-buys-new-car-2021-5

he's like  real life Jean Ralphio, except somehow a bigger douche. Ya feel me?

Edited by Blotto

On 4/13/2021 at 5:57 AM, Party_Taco said:

Tesla service was amazing a few years back. I had a beat down experience on a battery and wheel issue. Ultimately they replaced all four wheels. And they did something to the battery as it’s now 100% fine. But they wouldn’t say there was anything wrong. After the third trip it’s just fixed. 

this fucking guy, lulz
A San Francisco man who was arrested for riding in the back seat of his Tesla as it drove on the highway says he'll keep pulling the stunt after being released from jail — and he'll keep buying more cars as they get impounded. 
After getting booked on two counts of reckless driving, Param Sharma arrived for a Wednesday interview with the Bay Area news station KTVU riding in the back seat of a Tesla again. But it wasn't the same car that California Highway Patrol pulled him over in. 
The day after being released from jail on Tuesday, he told the channel, Sharma bought a new Tesla Model 3 because the other was impounded. Also, he is "very rich," he told KTVU. 
"I have unlimited money to blow on Teslas. If you take away my Tesla, I will get another Tesla. That's how it works," Sharma said. 
The California Highway Patrol said Tuesday it had arrested Sharma for reckless driving and disobeying a peace officer. The arrest came after videos circulated online of Sharma riding down the highway in the back seat. He had been cited for the same offense in April, police said. 
The incident is just the latest to spark scrutiny around how some Tesla drivers abuse the company's driver-assistance features. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has opened investigations into more than two dozen Tesla crashes, including a fatal incident in April that police said occurred with nobody in the driver's seat. 
Sharma told KTVU he bought a Tesla with the Full Self-Driving package but seemed overly confident in the feature's abilities. The $10,000 advanced driver-assistance system — a step up from the standard Autopilot feature — enables a car to automatically change lanes, navigate highway on-ramps and exits, and recognize stop signs and traffic lights.
But it does not make Teslas autonomous, and the company says drivers need to pay full attention when using it. 
"It's like a living room back here. I'm relaxing in luxury while Elon Musk chauffeurs me," he told KTVU.
Even in its most advanced iteration, the Full Self-Driving system has major flaws. Tesla tells the software's beta testers to be vigilant, as the feature could "do the wrong thing at the worst time." In tests, Consumer Reports said Full Self Driving performed inconsistently and sometimes disengaged without warning. 
Still, Sharma said he has no plans to stop riding in the back seat of his car, despite the clear dangers the stunt poses to pedestrians and other drivers. 
https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-fsd-back-seat-driving-stunt-arrested-buys-new-car-2021-5
he's like  real life Jean Ralphio, except somehow a bigger douche. Ya feel me?

Dude is just asking for jail time in addition to the Max fine. I’m sure a judge will oblige him.

On 4/9/2021 at 4:39 PM, wild_turkey said:

On 4/12/2021 at 10:24 PM, hornian said:

How many times has your delivery date been pushed back? My wife is on 2 now. 

Still being pushed back multiple times. Lost count of how many. Not even giving her a "range" for delivery. The dealer contact did say that they were notified a VIN has been assigned, so maybe that means we will get it this month?

On 4/19/2021 at 11:29 AM, 52-80 said:

That said, trying to pin this particular accident on the car is really like blaming a stabbing on kitchen knives.  It is profoundly a leap of logic to ascribe the blame that way

I heard about some crazed individual filling a Super Soaker with bleach, and spraying it at people's faces.

Should the company manufacturing the water gun and bleach, along with the retailer selling these products be held liable for this sickos actions?

Should Big Daddy Government ban Super Soakers and bleach to protect us?

I heard about some crazed individual filling a Super Soaker with bleach, and spraying it at people's faces.
Should the company manufacturing the water gun and bleach, along with the retailer selling these products be held liable for this sickos actions?

How do you feel about firearms and ammo manufacturers being sued behind nut jobs using them?

9 hours ago, hornian said:

Still being pushed back multiple times. Lost count of how many. Not even giving her a "range" for delivery. The dealer contact did say that they were notified a VIN has been assigned, so maybe that means we will get it this month?

This sounds like the type of shit my brother went through when he got his Tesla. The delivery date was moved multiple times, he got assigned 3 different VINs, and got his car months later than originally promised. The first car they tried to deliver was obviously a floor model. The final car is great, but the way they handled this situation was amateur hour for a billion dollar company.

Read the final purchase order again and make sure it’s the same as the first one you put a deposit on. They changed the VINs and prices on the purchase order multiple times without explicitly saying it. Shady as fuck. Everytime he called the dealer or distribution center, the person he previously talked to was no longer with the company. It seemed like a clusterfuck all around until he got the actual car.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Somnio said:

This is such a shitty take. Abusing two products - each with their own legitimate purpose - is completely different than using a half-assed implementation of a feature where the company goes *wink wink* "Hey, this thing drives itself, we promise. But please don't use it in that way, for realz."  

And yes, in this particular case Big Daddy Government does need to step in. Every fucking car for the last 20 years can detect if somebody is sitting in the driver's seat and ring the seatbelt warning. My car can tell if my hands are on the steering wheel or not. Elon's ego or Tesla's stupidity (or both) are putting people's lives at risk and if they aren't fixing this, then the govt is going to have to require them to disable FSD when nobody is in the driver's seat, since it's not yet ready for primetime.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Sign me up, that sounds fantastic. Now that’s a company you can trust for the long term. 

substantially different business models.  with tesla youre buying the car from the factory, as fast as they can make it.  with a bmw you're buying from a gigantic lot of a dealership that was forced to absorb inventory from the factory, with with 100 employees whose job it is to take your money. 

theres no upsales of accessories, theres no trucoat protection, theres no 4 levels of "let me check the price with my manager", theres no financing arm playing a numbers game with you versus the deals offered by the manufacturer to incentivize a sales. 

teslas are spoken for before they're even produced.  that's evidenced in this thread.  and that supply/demand imbalance speaks pretty well for the long term prospect of the company.

6 hours ago, Hornlover said:

This is such a shitty take. Abusing two products - each with their own legitimate purpose - is completely different than using a half-assed implementation of a feature where the company goes *wink wink* "Hey, this thing drives itself, we promise. But please don't use it in that way, for realz."  

And yes, in this particular case Big Daddy Government does need to step in. Every fucking car for the last 20 years can detect if somebody is sitting in the driver's seat and ring the seatbelt warning. My car can tell if my hands are on the steering wheel or not. Elon's ego or Tesla's stupidity (or both) are putting people's lives at risk and if they aren't fixing this, then the govt is going to have to require them to disable FSD when nobody is in the driver's seat, since it's not yet ready for primetime.

Speaking of shitty takes. 

substantially different business models.  with tesla youre buying the car from the factory, as fast as they can make it.  with a bmw you're buying from a gigantic lot of a dealership that was forced to absorb inventory from the factory, with with 100 employees whose job it is to take your money. 

theres no upsales of accessories, theres no trucoat protection, theres no 4 levels of "let me check the price with my manager", theres no financing arm playing a numbers game with you versus the deals offered by the manufacturer to incentivize a sales. 

teslas are spoken for before they're even produced.  that's evidenced in this thread.  and that supply/demand imbalance speaks pretty well for the long term prospect of the company.

Don’t act like they have the production of other companies either.

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Buying a traditional car for my 16 year old. Holy crap I forgot how bad dealerships are. 

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Don’t act like they have the production of other companies either.

No need to act like anything, because there are simple reality:

You can walk into Mac Haik today and walk out with an F150. Because they literally have 100s of them unsold. And Mac pays an army of people to push the vehicles to you so he can get them off his books. 

Tesla is still in the process of scaling up their production, because the minute they assign a VIN, that car is assigned to buyers around the world waiting with cash on hand. 

At this point, why the hell should Tesla spend money building up a dealership infrastructure like the Mac example, when they could that dollar into the production process?  

Because people won’t buy their cars if they don’t have the Mac Haik experience?  Evidently not. 

• Hook 'Em 1