Tesla

AeroHorn

30 minutes ago, royiv said:

Why would you accept delivery of a vehicle with obvious defects? If someone delivers me a defective vehicle, there's no way I'm accepting that vehicle.

It’s hard to see in the sunlight. But inside the garage under the lights, it’s pretty shocking how many paint defects there were in the trunk.

I’ll ask them to repaint the entire hood. In counter at least 20 spots; and there’s a section close to the passenger side quarter panel, including the panel itself that looks like a water mist. 

Edit. I guess we have until today to return it. But it’s a crapshoot whether the next car will have the same paint issue. 

Edited by Superhero

Once you own the car, you've lost all leverage. I would, at the very least, call them today and say that you're returning it due to the shoddy paint work. I bet that gets more than an appointment on 12/11. Then again, I'm not spending that kind of money on a car to get shitty workmanship. Elon needs to learn how to manufacture a car without massive build quality problems.

On 11/24/2020 at 10:18 AM, Superhero said:

We took delivery on Sunday. It was delayed the week because of paint issues. I can't imagine HOW bad the paint was before, because holy shit, the paint on the frunk and front quarter panel is awful. Some look like water marks, but there are a LOT of marks that look like the paint is already oxidizing.

My wife already made a service appointment to take the car in on 12/11. I doubt they'll be able to finish it in one day and couldn't promise a loaner car. Between the 2 of us, we've had 9 new cars before this (3 of them black) and we've never had a paint issue upon delivery. 

I can't believe this is saving Tesla any money fixing paint on new cars. They need to get their shit together in the paint shop, because apparently the paint on the 3s and Ys are also a shit show.

I had a 180 degree out experience today.  I looked hard and couldn’t find a thing.  All smiles.  Guess I got lucky.  But I also got the MSM which is a little more forgiving, I think.  

4 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I had a 180 degree out experience today.  I looked hard and couldn’t find a thing.  All smiles.  Guess I got lucky.  But I also got the MSM which is a little more forgiving, I think.  

You didn't get lucky, he got unlucky.  Tesla has some quality control issues, but they also get scrutinized really hard.  My Model 3 was perfect and it was one of the first ones in Austin back in 2018, so they were still ramping production and figuring shit out.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/5/2020 at 6:23 PM, Biff Tannen said:

You didn't get lucky, he got unlucky.  Tesla has some quality control issues, but they also get scrutinized really hard.  My Model 3 was perfect and it was one of the first ones in Austin back in 2018, so they were still ramping production and figuring shit out.

The model 3 is the only model of Tesla that CR recommends

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/19/tesla-model-s-no-longer-recommended-by-consumer-reports.html

Overall, Tesla ranked second to last in the reliability study. It was down two spots from a year ago due to the issues identified in the Model S and the Model Y, which went on sale earlier this year. The Model Y has “well below average reliability,” the publication said.

In a recent, widely reported incident, the glass roof flew off of one owner’s brand new Tesla Model Y.

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

tesla raising 5b more cash.  theres free money on the market - why not?

With the insatiable appetite for their stock they should raise $50 billion. Easier to get now then when the market values them rationally, so why not? When your stock is appreciating 10%+ a week, you might as well stock up. 

3 minutes ago, Blotto said:

With the insatiable appetite for their stock they should raise $50 billion. Easier to get now then when the market values them rationally, so why not? When your stock is appreciating 10%+ a week, you might as well stock up. 

great gig if u can get it

Is this where we discuss speculation about Elon Musk moving to Austin? News reports are out that he's now moved his charitable foundation to town on top of the boring project, gigafactory, and SpaceX down in South Texas.

Elon Musk’s private philanthropic foundation has reportedly relocated to Austin, the latest sign that the Tesla Inc. CEO may move himself here — and even Tesla's headquarters at some point.

Bloomberg reported Dec. 7 that the Musk Foundation over the summer created an entity in Austin, then in the fall merged with it, based on a filing with the Texas Secretary of State. Austin Business Journal was not immediately able to independent verify that reporting.

Speculation has been rampant in recent weeks that Musk may relocate to the Texas capital. CNBC reported Dec. 4 that he had told friends he was moving to Texas. He already spends plenty of time in the state, between the $1.1 billion plant Tesla is building in Travis County east of Austin and the multiple South Texas sites operated by the space exploration company he founded, SpaceX. Another company founded by Musk, The Boring Co., is hiring in Austin.

Musk has lived in Los Angeles for two decades and his foundation was previously based in California, according to Bloomberg. He founded the foundation in 2001 and it keeps a low profile, donating to issues such as renewable energy, pediatric research and science and engineering education. It had almost $329 million in assets as of June 30, 2018, according to tax filings.

But Mask feuded over the summer with officials in California over coronavirus lockdowns, at one point tweeting that he will move the Tesla headquarters to Texas or Nevada.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2020/12/08/musk-foundation-relocate-austin.html

Will this help Tesla?

https://www.wired.com/story/quantumscape-solid-state-battery/?mbid=social_tw_sci&utm_brand=wired-science&utm_medium=social&utm_social-type=owned&utm_source=twitter

IF ELECTRIC VEHICLES are ever going to fully supplant gas guzzlers on the world’s roads, they’re going to need an entirely new type of battery. Despite steady improvements over the past decade in the energy density and lifetimes of lithium-ion batteries, the cells in new EVs still lag behind internal combustion engines on pretty much every performance metric. Most EVs have a range of less than 300 miles, it takes more than an hour to recharge their battery packs, the cells lose nearly a third of their capacity within a decade, and they pose a serious safety risk because of their flammable materials.

The solution to these problems has been known for decades: It’s called a solid-state battery, and it’s based on a deceptively simple idea. Instead of a conventional liquid electrolyte—the stuff that ferries lithium ions between electrodes—it uses a solid eloctrolyte. Also, the battery’s negative terminal, called its anode, is made from pure lithium metal. This combination would send its energy density through the roof, enable ultra-fast charging, and would eliminate the risk of battery fires. But for the past 40 years, no one has been able to make a solid-state battery that delivers on this promise—until earlier this year, when a secretive startup called QuantumScape claimed to have solved the problem. Now it has the data to prove it.

On Tuesday, for the first time, QuantumScape’s cofounder and CEO, Jagdeep Singh, publicly revealed test results for the company’s solid-state battery. Singh says the battery resolved all of the core challenges that have plagued solid-state batteries in the past, such as incredibly short lifetimes and slow charging rate. According to QuantumScape’s data, its cell can charge to 80 percent of capacity in 15 minutes, it retains more than 80 percent of its capacity after 800 charging cycles, it’s noncombustible, and it has a volumetric energy density of more than 1,000 watt-hours per liter at the cell level, which is nearly double the energy density of top-shelf commercial lithium-ion cells.

More information about QuantumScape's battery technology from their data release this morning.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/quantumscape-releases-performance-data-solid-120000649.html 

QuantumScape Corporation (NYSE: QS, or "QuantumScape"), a leader in the development of next generation solid-state lithium-metal batteries for use in electric vehicles (EVs), has released performance data demonstrating that its technology addresses fundamental issues holding back widespread adoption of high-energy density solid-state batteries, including charge time (current density), cycle life, safety, and operating temperature.

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Will this help Tesla?

I see it as kind of a mixed bag. On one hand, if there is really anything to this announcement it will certainly drive up the adoption rate of EV's globally. But it removes one of the perceived advantages of TSLA relative to the other manufacturer's which is their battery technology and manufacturing capabilties. As this is not proprietary to Tesla (I'm sure they are doing work in next generation battery tech), it could hurt them from a market cap standpoint as it levels the playing field in one of two areas used to justify their insane valuation. But the list of battery technology startups to emerge from stealth mode with game changing technologies is long, and we continue to use Li-Ion to this day because they rarely pan out commercially. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Is this where we discuss speculation about Elon Musk moving to Austin? News reports are out that he's now moved his charitable foundation to town on top of the boring project, gigafactory, and SpaceX down in South Texas.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2020/12/08/musk-foundation-relocate-austin.html

he's going to live in Joe Rogan's deprivation chamber

4 hours ago, bolverk said:

Anybody got a way past that paywall?  I let my ABJ subscription lapse because they basically just copy everything from Austin InnoBeat.  

14 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Anybody got a way past that paywall?  I let my ABJ subscription lapse because they basically just copy everything from Austin InnoBeat.  

Here are the last two paragraphs from the story:

CNBC went in depth last week on Musk's potential personal tax savings if he moves to Texas. He could earn more than $50 billion in stock from Tesla under a 10-year compensation package approved in 2018. The top state income tax rate in California is 13.3% while Texas has no income tax.

One more Austin tie for Musk and his foundation: Jared Birchall, a former senior vice president at Morgan Stanley, manages Musk's family office and sits on the foundation’s board. He relocated to Austin this year, Bloomberg reported.

Using private mode on Firefox is giving me access to the ABJ while incognito on Chrome does not. I'm not sure what's up with that. If that doesn't work and you're looking for more information specifically on Musk, you might just try to search for the MSNBC and Bloomberg stories.

On 11/24/2020 at 10:18 AM, Superhero said:

We took delivery on Sunday. It was delayed the week because of paint issues. I can't imagine HOW bad the paint was before, because holy shit, the paint on the frunk and front quarter panel is awful. Some look like water marks, but there are a LOT of marks that look like the paint is already oxidizing.

My wife already made a service appointment to take the car in on 12/11. I doubt they'll be able to finish it in one day and couldn't promise a loaner car. Between the 2 of us, we've had 9 new cars before this (3 of them black) and we've never had a paint issue upon delivery. 

I can't believe this is saving Tesla any money fixing paint on new cars. They need to get their shit together in the paint shop, because apparently the paint on the 3s and Ys are also a shit show.

Did I mention the autopilot camera not available message has been popping up?

Still an incredible car, and the kids love it when I just floor the MFer from the stop light.

But yeah... let's see what they can do about the paint when I take it in on Friday. I found a few more paint issues - a chip, some bumps like there's sand under the paint, and a divot or two. It all looks great under the sun, but inside the garage under LED lights is when I found all the defects.

I heard that Elon Musk and Urban Meyer were shopping for homes in the West Lake Hills area yesterday.  They're talking about going in on a duplex together.  

Edited by Lobo

On 12/9/2020 at 1:10 AM, Superhero said:

Still an incredible car, and the kids love it when I just floor the MFer from the stop light.

But yeah... let's see what they can do about the paint when I take it in on Friday. I found a few more paint issues - a chip, some bumps like there's sand under the paint, and a divot or two. It all looks great under the sun, but inside the garage under LED lights is when I found all the defects.

So the solution is to park it outside, and not look at it in the dark or under indoor lighting - problem solved (send your $9.95 to the wreath fund)

• Haha 2

On 12/9/2020 at 12:10 AM, Superhero said:

You'll get that message when the sun is directly facing a camera. It is really common for me to see that message in the morning on the drive in to work. It doesn't actually appear to preclude use of autopilot, but it may depend on how diminished the camera's vision is. 

On 12/8/2020 at 10:10 PM, Superhero said:

They are damn fun to drive.  I’m still working from home, so I have to find reasons every day to go drive.  

• 2 weeks later...

We took the car in to get the paint and autopilot camera fixed. They fixed the scratch, bumps and the marks on the hood. The cable for the autopilot camera was crimped and they replaced that.

There are still a few divots on the hood close to the driver side windshield, but we just said F it and took it to get a ceramic coating on it.

The guy at the shop says he gets a lot of Teslas with bad paint jobs - bumps, divots, halos and swirls out of the factory. He makes a lot of money fixing Tesla paint issues and protecting with the $12000 ceramic coat. 

$12k?  Lol. Cheese and & rice.

^^^poor

Holy fuck. You must have a massive pile of cash burning a hole in your pocket. I can’t imagine paying $12k of my own money to fix a manufacturer’s defect..

^^^poor

Dude. 12k ceramic coating? I got ceramic coat and 3M bras put on my new F150 a month ago for $1500 all in. What kind of ride are you getting taken on here? 

^^^poor

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

The Model S?  Only the Models 3 and Y have wheel covers, if we are talking about the same thing.

The 2020s came with alloy wheels (I think). These are the stock wheels from their website. The exposed parts are plastic, not sure what's behind it.

image.png.eb73219f9056c42a078487c370f045b5.png

Here's a site that sells the same hubcaps:

https://www.hubcaphaven.com/c/8029/tesla_model_s_hubcaps_wheel_covers.html

StoreDot, backed by Daimler, BP, and Samsung, has started producing car batteries capable of being fully charged in 5-minutes using new higher-powered charging stations. To utilize existing charging stations, they are aiming to get a 100-mile range in 5-minutes in the next few years...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/19/electric-car-batteries-race-ahead-with-five-minute-charging-times

Whenever fast charging is truly cracked, it's goodbye gas for real. 

When we figure out smaller batteries and fast charging for hauling actual stuff, then gas is done for real.  We forget what a high percentage of gallons consumed (not miles) on this planet are used for hauling stuff besides people.  

StoreDot, backed by Daimler, BP, and Samsung, has started producing car batteries capable of being fully charged in 5-minutes using new higher-powered charging stations. To utilize existing charging stations, they are aiming to get a 100-mile range in 5-minutes in the next few years...
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/19/electric-car-batteries-race-ahead-with-five-minute-charging-times
Whenever fast charging is truly cracked, it's goodbye gas for real. 

Except for trains, 18 wheelers, and airplanes.

Plus you have to consider the millions of gas cars kn this country alone. A mcdonalds worker cant go out and buy an electric car simply because it can charge in 5 minutes. 50+ years away. The government screwed up diesel economy with DEF, they will screw this up as well.
  • Like 1