d58aadc8008db7d31f3f92d8eb346a38.jpg

e199603b8297535c2e2cf70102016f3a.jpg

2017-18

13794a4a923c8d4daf6a31bb593ca745.jpg

1993a78071f485d6575f1094d85a5f3e.jpg

2018-19*

54642ad2fdc3ff4751e811d2ca671e48.jpg

cc80fbf4c656d81e912da8805dadf2dd.jpg

*not including tonight's 2-22 performance.

National recruiting class rankings:

2016-

41a87c29f7bd614567b8663db54c0081.jpg

2017-

83e232753c8361e08b763c472fd35cf1.jpg

2018-

3108a90d29c10f81acaa1c7585af0841.jpg

That's worse than Charlie Strong. That's recruiting as well as Rick Barnes and performing markedly worse than Tom Penders. That is complete coaching ineptitude. He underachieved at VCU- fact. He is the only one of his coaching contemporaries at VCU to not win a conference title despite being there 2-3x longer than every other coach- fact. His miracle Final Four team was universally hailed as *the worst team to ever be allowed into the tournament*. The fact that a team with that type of ceiling didn't even deserve a tourney bid says it all. Fire Shaka Smart. Hire Musselman, Buzz, Cronin, Beard, Few, hell, go get Kevin Keatts if we have to, just please rid this program of Shaka Smart. It's so depressing to watch his teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

yeah, i know. the purpose of this thread is mostly for the casual fan who is dropping in and wondering, "what's up with Texas basketball?". They won't click on that thread, but they will click on this one, and within about 60 seconds of doing so they'll say, "oh. that's what's up with Texas basketball." It's an appropriate means to and end. Or something like that. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Actually, I like the concise stats. The “Fire Shaka Smart” thread is fine, but unless you want to read hundreds ofposts, which are mainly just continuing complaints (not bad posts, it’s just there is a lot to complain about) and a few people who somehow continue to think he’s a good coach trying to argue about why he should stay

Thanks for posting

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

Actually, I like the concise stats. The “Fire Shaka Smart” thread is fine, but unless you want to read hundreds ofposts, which are mainly just continuing complaints (not bad posts, it’s just there is a lot to complain about) and a few people who somehow continue to think he’s a good coach trying to argue about why he should stay

Thanks for posting

yup that's me.  thanks for posting OP.

7 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Thanks for posting

5 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

yup that's me.  thanks for posting OP.

exactly. the football season just ended, and more and more eyeballs will be turning towards the hoops program wondering what the deal is. the deal is that we recruit on par with Kansas, Louisville, Michigan State, and UNC, and even better than programs like Michigan, Gonzaga, Villanova, Tennessee, and UVA, yet we are a perennial bubble team with zero tourney wins and a bunch of NBA draft picks. If that doesn't concisely tell the whole story then what does. 

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

exactly. the football season just ended, and more and more eyeballs will be turning towards the hoops program wondering what the deal is. the deal is that we recruit on par with Kansas, Louisville, Michigan State, and UNC, and even better than programs like Michigan, Gonzaga, Villanova, Tennessee, and UVA, yet we are a perennial bubble team with zero tourney wins and a bunch of NBA draft picks. If that doesn't concisely tell the whole story then what does. 

Don't mind the thread, just wish the title were better.

15 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

yeah, i know. the purpose of this thread is mostly for the casual fan who is dropping in and wondering, "what's up with Texas basketball?". They won't click on that thread, but they will click on this one, and within about 60 seconds of doing so they'll say, "oh. that's what's up with Texas basketball." It's an appropriate means to and end. Or something like that. 

casual here

The Smart/Strong era has clearly ended. Get that guy outta here

Here are Texas' national rankings in some key stats over the last three seasons:

2016-17

FGA- 220th

FG%- 207th

3P%- 345th (out of 351 teams)

FT%- 326th

TRB- 216th

AST- 285th

2017-18

FGA- 131st

FG%- 212th

3P%- 321st

FT%- 317th

TRB- 114th

AST- 269th

2018-19

FGA- 167th

FG%- 243rd

3P%- 257th (lol we dropped 59 spots after last night)

FT%- 257th

TRB- 166th

AST- 193rd

The rebounding and FG% numbers are especially bad considering that our best, most talented players have been big men. To recruit the way we do and to yield these types of numbers is unimaginable. I truly have no doubt that we have several players here who could have achieved similar numbers had they been coaching the team the last three years. 

37 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I stopped watching them this year. It’s just awful basketball abd isn’t any fun to watch. His inability to understand anything about what makes a decent offense is ridiculous 

I never used to miss a second of any game no matter what, but i'm there with you. this year i find myself walking away from the screen to do various different things. a couple of games ago i popped in far cry 5 during half time and then forgot about the 2H for a while. When I did remember that the game was on I wasn't even tripping about have missed some of it. Last night I had to run by my friend's house during the 1H so I paused the TV when OSU was at 17 points. I got to his house 10 minutes later and they had 34. I got on surly to read what had happened and every post was, "stop shooting threes! why do we keep shooting threes?" which about sums it all up. 

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

Here are Texas' national rankings in some key stats over the last three seasons:

2016-17

FGA- 220th

FG%- 207th

3P%- 345th (out of 351 teams)

FT%- 326th

TRB- 216th

AST- 285th

2017-18

FGA- 131st

FG%- 212th

3P%- 321st

FT%- 317th

TRB- 114th

AST- 269th

2018-19

FGA- 167th

FG%- 243rd

3P%- 257th (lol we dropped 59 spots after last night)

FT%- 257th

TRB- 166th

AST- 193rd

The rebounding and FG% numbers are especially bad considering that our best, most talented players have been big men. To recruit the way we do and to yield these types of numbers is unimaginable. I truly have no doubt that we have several players here who could have achieved similar numbers had they been coaching the team the last three years. 

this post is supposed to say "several posters here who could have done a better job", but this iphone is such an epic piece of shit that it auto corrected "posters" to players. yesterday alone it changed two correctly spelled words into completely different words in fucking spanish. 

• Like 1

This is the best thing I've ever seen you post.

This is absolutely inexcusable. I had no idea Texas' recruiting rankings were that good.

I mean I'm actually sitting here in disbeleif. This team would be better without a coach with Roach drawing up the sets. Holy fucking shit. 

Anyone defending this man at this point is either trolling or doesn't know enough about basketball to participate in any level of discussion. 

Good shit Derka. 

The stats are worse than the viewing. I still don’t see how you can make the money right this year. I know I’ll get flamed for this but one way to do it is to go get kelvin sampson. What he was doing when cheating basically isn’t even cheating given what is going on now. He’d probably get UT back to the final four too. Then when he’s old and retired go get beard. 

42 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

that's the problem with this sport- too many Pearl's and Sampson's out there. One in four viable candidates isn't actually viable because of cheating.

His cheating isn’t even considered cheating anymore. Didn’t he send like 20 unauthorized texts?

32 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Nothing. He's a professional.

Now, print the charts out, request a few minutes of his time accompanied with a check containing an amount of at least 4 digits, and you might have something.

I don't expect him to respond but the byproduct is it shares the knowledge with a much larger audience who probably doesn't realize how bad it is.

Edited by CooterBrown

13 hours ago, Jhawk said:

The stats are worse than the viewing. 

They’re really not though.

Watching UT has been fucking awful, especially the last three years. Isaiah Taylor is the only player who’s ever been able to pull Shaka’s offense out of being a complete and total shitshow, and that was just because he was elite at getting to the rim. 11-22 was horrible viewing. Having 1 and dones like Allen, Bamba, and likely Hayes has allowed us to compartmentalize and enjoy watching them develop during the year, but watching Shaka’s offense has been absolutey miserable. It’s up there with having to watch a Shawn Watson-coached offense, and it’s lasted four goddam years. 

• Like 1

There’s no semblance of an offensive identity. We pass the ball around the perimeter looking for post entry to passes to players with no post game. Then that doesn’t work so we kick back out, pass around the perimeter and try to score with iso ball. It all eventually leads to a deep contested three as the shot clock runs out. I don’t know how else to say it, it’s awful basketball. Watch one quarter on an NBA game and the movement, spacing, etc of offenses. Obviously NBA players make a difference but we are playing a totally different game entirely. 

It don't make a shit.

The team is on an upward arc, overall, and that is what is asked of Shaka right now. No one likes losing in Stillwater, but the season goes on. We are still throwing out a substantial force of talent on the floor (though I wish they'd get better at shooting) and we are facing nothing other than the same adversities that all teams face during the middle of the season.

The panicky nature of many of y'all's evaluations of Shaka is stupid and uncalled-for.

• Fuck You 6

12 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

It don't make a shit.

The team is on an upward arc, overall, and that is what is asked of Shaka right now. No one likes losing in Stillwater, but the season goes on. We are still throwing out a substantial force of talent on the floor (though I wish they'd get better at shooting) and we are facing nothing other than the same adversities that all teams face during the middle of the season.

The panicky nature of many of y'all's evaluations of Shaka is stupid and uncalled-for.

This team is not on an upward arc at all. We're 3-2 in our last 5 games with the highest ranked team in that span being Pomeroy #48 KSU. We're about to face Tech (#9), KU twice (#10), OU (#22), TCU (#26), and Iowa State (#14) in 5 of our next 6 games. We could easily and likely go 1-5 in those games, leaving us at 11-10 (assuming we beat UGA) and 3-6 in conference by the end of that stretch.

This team has "faced adversity" in the easy part of its schedule.  Things are about to get much uglier. 

1 hour ago, Cameltoe said:

It don't make a shit.

5-the-big-lebowski-quotes.gif

• Like 1

It don't make a shit.

Can we please neg this fuckstick off the board already 

It don't make a shit.

Cameltoe, please stop posting.  

Surly, please neg this poster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

Upward arc?

Current national Pomeroy ranking: #29

Last year's final ranking: #36

Current talent level: 8.4 

Last year's talent level: 7.6

If we hadn't lost in Stillwater, none of you would be making all these negative posts. Instead you would be saying "wow, i'm cautiously optimistic" and things that. But the difference between winning and losing in Stillwater is a couple of coinflips, you insufferable morons... why should your opinion of his entire tenure be based on a couple coinflips? That's what makes you a moron--that instead of looking at longterm arcs, you look at one loss and lose your shit.

Edited by Cameltoe
  • Fuck You 7

3 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

If we hadn't lost in Stillwater, none of you would be making all these negative posts. Instead you would be saying "wow, i'm cautiously optimistic" and things that. But the difference between winning and losing in Stillwater is a couple of coinflips, you insufferable morons... why should your opinion of his entire tenure be based on a couple coinflips? That's what makes you a moron--that instead of looking at longterm arcs, you look at one loss and lose your shit.

Winning or losing in Stillwater has nothing to do with our inability to run even a basic offense for 5 years running. Shaka sucks. He doesn’t understand offense at all and we continue to be unable to score consistently. The long term arc is we haven’t had an offense worth a shit despite having great recruiting classes every year.

1 minute ago, Cameltoe said:

This is idiotic. Plenty of us pointed out that the KSU win was based on unsustainable shooting and the eye test shows no progressive improvement in the team or the offense this entire season.  Every once in a while our shots fall and we win, but the offense produces the same poor quality of shots regardless. Most of us with a problem with Shaka have a problem with his process irrespective of individual results.

You on the other hand, look at the results and act like the process has changed. Every time we win or shoot well, you act like things are fine. You did this exact thing after the KSU game. 

It's an embarrassment to all of us on the Basketball board that this dumbass hasn't been fatwa'd by now.

I'm not so sure that a win in Stillwater would have changed some minds, to me it's more about how we win(and lose). Do we look like we've learned anything? Do we recognize and adapt to the opponents strategy?  Can we run crunch time plays that put us in a position to win? Are the best players on the court for the circumstance?  I've been a hs coach for a long time(not basketball) and certainly know not to live and die with the most recent result. But I also know that I've got to shore up my strategy weaknesses and make sure my team understands why and what we're changing or fine tuning. I just don't see it into year 4. I don't want him fired mid-year, hell I want him to prove me wrong. He hasn't done it so far.

It's not really only wins and losses but the accumulation of multiple seasons of seeing clear deficiencies in coaching.  No one is arguing the talent level isn't very high, but the reality is that with a poor coach and good talent you would expect the occasional talent takeover of games where they can beat a good team, but also extreme inconsistency in also being able to lose to much worse talent in other games.  This is exactly what we are seeing and have been seeing for a while now, and it's not really about one game at all.  The simple bottom line truth for a coach is when your talent level is for example graded say an A- but you are losing too often to C or below talent level teams too often, that is almost always a coaching problem.  They have a very tough stretch coming up, and I honestly can see them losing almost every game but I wouldn't be shocked if they rise up and beat some good teams as well but either scenario happening (even losing or winning all of those games entirely) won't really change my opinion because the coaching likely will still be the same.