The Last Kingdom

Goo Punch

6 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

on episode one again and i am soooo confused. who is the kid that got his head cut off, and what is his relation to Uhtred? And why did his death result in Uhtred getting a name change?

that kid is the original uhtred some of uhtred.  he was in line to inherit bebbanburgh but he got himself killed by ragnar.  after he gets killed, his little brother, originally named osbert(?), is renamed uhtred and proclaimed heir to bebbanburgh, and that's the current uhtred we know.  that's just how they did it back then i think?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/9/2019 at 3:07 AM, Goo Punch said:

it's awesome. i'm on season 3, episode 8. i have a question:

Hide contents

why did Aethelwold not tell Alfred that he'd killed Ragnar? He just let them take his eye.

i'm not sure it would have made a difference.  and at that point did the danes know about it?

• 2 weeks later...

I dig this show.  Not as good as game of thrones, but still very good.  Unlike GOT, it seems to be getting better with each season - season 3 was by far the best.

Things I like:

1) Uhtred, Son of Uhtred - both the saying and the actor (comfortable in my toxic masculinity, but he is a handsome man)

2) "Arseling"

3) The fact that they say "hump" and "turd" so much on a show set in the middle ages

3) Sidekicks: Father Beocca, Leofric, Irish dude

4) Most of the dialogue is solid, particularly with British/Scandinavian accents.  

5) Skade: don't care if she kills me mid-coitus - totally worth it.  

Complaints:

1) Lazy writing at times, with plot points and character motivations that don't make much sense.  I was more bothered by this in Season 1.

2) Brida sucks IMO.

3) Constant deus ex machina to save Uhtred gets old, but it is what it is - they ain't killing him off Ned Stark style.  

4) Lack of Skade nudity - how is this even possible?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I dig this show.  Not as good as game of thrones, but still very good.  Unlike GOT, it seems to be getting better with each season - season 3 was by far the best.

Things I like:

1) Uhtred, Son of Uhtred - both the saying and the actor (comfortable in my toxic masculinity, but he is a handsome man)

2) "Arseling"

3) The fact that they say "hump" and "turd" so much on a show set in the middle ages

3) Sidekicks: Father Beocca, Leofric, Irish dude

4) Most of the dialogue is solid, particularly with British/Scandinavian accents.  

5) Skade: don't care if she kills me mid-coitus - totally worth it.  

Complaints:

1) Lazy writing at times, with plot points and character motivations that don't make much sense.  I was more bothered by this in Season 1.

2) Brida sucks IMO.

3) Constant deus ex machina to save Uhtred gets old, but it is what it is - they ain't killing him off Ned Stark style.  

4) Lack of Skade nudity - how is this even possible?

agree with all of this, especially skade and brida. brida is a total beating, just the most unpleasant person. skade on the other hand- yowza. i would like to do some unpleasant things to her.

The actress who plays brida is supposedly really nice irl. And Alexander Draymon has an American accent although he speaks fluent German also. The accent he uses for uhtred is completely made up, it's one of the more unique accents I've heard. Also he's so pretty.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

The actress who plays brida is supposedly really nice irl. And Alexander Draymon has an American accent although he speaks fluent German also. The accent he uses for uhtred is completely made up, it's one of the more unique accents I've heard. Also he's so pretty.

yeah, i actually saw a behind the scenes thing with the actress and she could not be more opposite. she smiles every time she talks, and she laughs at the end of her sentences. it was a crazy contrast. 

18 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

basically they're the discount version of Rose Byrne (major babe) and Legolas.

• 1 year later...
Great tits in S4:E1.  
Also, seems like the storyline will be basically the same as every other season.  Uhtred wants help from the Crown. Nope. Uhtred fights the Danes for the Crown.  Repeat.   
Spoiler alert. Next you're going to tell us who of the Vikings and the Saxons wins.

Also, seems like the storyline will be basically the same as every other season.  Uhtred wants help from the Crown. Nope. Uhtred fights the Danes for the Crown.  Repeat.   
Spoiler alert. Next you're going to tell us who of the Vikings and the Saxons wins.

27 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Just finished binging S4. Wife was not real interested. I told her maybe ESPN could lend us their scoreboard for saxs vs danes score. 

14 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
15 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Well.......?

On 1/20/2019 at 8:27 PM, gsoda3 said:

Read somewhere that Draymon grew up in South Dakota and rode horses which obviously came in handy for his acting career.

Started watching season 1 Sunday and almost thru 2 now. Storyline does seem to be simple and repetitive at times but as my own father dilligas of dilligas told me many times why fix a watch if it isn’t broken.

pros: plenty of action and decent ladies. Alfreds queen is well played as a cunt but check her out in real life. Wowza

Danish tag team brothers Erik and knifehand are enjoyable

cons: ooturd could cut back the eye rolls a little. And the mascara a lot bruh

overall enjoying it. And another vote for Extraction along with Dale & Tucker vs Evil

2 hours ago, lateshow said:

For me, it's right after Peaky Blinders. (RIP Mindhunter)

I put Peaky Blinders a close second but think they moved things along way too fast.  I would have preferred if they would have spent more time on Tommy struggles to gain more power against rivals, politicians, etc.  Also, that season with the Russians was terrible and at least Last Kingdom didn’t have a bust season like that so far.  And I was disappointed to see Mindhunter didn’t get renewed because thought Season 2 was much better than Season 1.

Edited by Horn80

5 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

How many fucking Ethels, Effls, Threds, spreads, beda, right said freds are there in this show?

I never know who the fuck they are talking about.

In real life, Alfred's Dad was named King Ethelwulf.  Had had 6 legitimate kids: Alfred, Ethelstan, Ethelbald, Ethelberht, Ethelswith, and Ethelred.

I am not shitting you.  

15 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

In real life, Alfred's Dad was named King Ethelwulf.  Had had 6 legitimate kids: Alfred, Ethelstan, Ethelbald, Ethelberht, Ethelswith, and Ethelred.

I am not shitting you.  

George Foreman says hi

Foreman has 12 children, five sons and seven daughters. His five sons are George Jr., George III ("Monk"), George IV ("Big Wheel"), George V ("Red"), and George VI ("Little Joey"). On his website, Foreman explains, "I named all my sons George Edward Foreman so they would always have something in common. I say to them, 'If one of us goes up, then we all go up together, and if one goes down, we all go down together!'

On 5/2/2020 at 8:41 AM, Mileslong said:

I would also put Peaky Blinders and Last Kingdom as my favorite two Netflix shows. The production value of these shows today is so good compared to the past...

I think I agree.

Peaky Blinders is probably my favorite drama ever.  

I haven't seen Medici and Fauda but I'll add them to the list.  

• Like 1

I think I agree.
Peaky Blinders is probably my favorite drama ever.  
I haven't seen Medici and Fauda but I'll add them to the list.  

Just binged both of those and they are both excellent. Fauda has been great each season where I think Medici actually improved this last season from last