The Last Kingdom

Goo Punch

1 minute ago, Mileslong said:

Just binged both of those and they are both excellent. Fauda has been great each season where I think Medici actually improved this last season from last

Good to know.  Thanks for the heads up

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Not that I can tell. The problem with Medici, particularly the latter 2 seasons, is that it is fraught with historical inaccuracies whereas LK is a book where the author admittedly deliberately took liberties with history. Uhtred was never a big deal nor was Bamburgh. Cnut lived like a 100 years later. In terms of entertainment and production value, Medici is hands down better. This last season of LK just had meddling bullshit that sent people on the road back and forth the whole time. It was an entirely predictable and pointless season. 

One thing I like about Medici is the bank really started to falter after Cosimo died and that is largely apparent. It was a bit irritating how they forced all the greatest artists under Lorenzo’s patronage but the Botticelli connection was real. 

i agree with your slight irritation at the liberal use of artistic license when it comes to the anglo-saxon/viking history. in the books cornwell does a pretty good job sorting out what he's editorialized and what events he's brought forward (or completely made up) for the sake of the story.  the tv show obviously has a huge task in trying to fit those events neatly into 10 episode seasons and it magnifies the discrepancies that much more.  

for both those shows though i think it's fascinating how they portray historical figures-  aethelflaed as the lady of mercia i never really understood historically but in the books it makes much more sense.  same with alfred-  he's got an incredible underdog story and i suppose this is one way it kind of reconciles.  lorenzo de medici's character (in the show) is competent to the point of being ridiculous.  i hope they don't shy away from his darker side.  also all of the medici are way too good looking (i know, odd quibble).  i think botticelli's relationship with the medici probably was pretty close to what they portray in the show.  iirc michaelangelo and da vinci were at least very well acquainted with LdM if not good friends.  one of donatello's david's was on display in their palazzo until they were forced into exile ( i can't remember what happened to it after that).  it's crazy to think but they were almost single-handedly responsible for that cadre of renaissance art.  

i'd like to see them somehow run into the borgia family.  they've introduced giulio de medici who later becomes a pope, and the papacy of alexander vi isn't that far away so i could see them writing a storyline where LdM has to deal with borja sr when he's still a cardinal.  really interested how they're going to approach savonarola.  is he going to cause as much trouble as he did in real life?  this period is so rich with crazy characters and drama.  

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
13 hours ago, bschoolprof said:
In real life, Alfred's Dad was named King Ethelwulf.  Had had 6 legitimate kids: Alfred, Ethelstan, Ethelbald, Ethelberht, Ethelswith, and Ethelred.
I am not shitting you.  

Gotta love good, old, Anglo-Saxon names.

if they werent royal they'd probably have gotten beaten up at the playground

• Like 1

I enjoyed S4. My 1 gripe is the recent disregard for intelligent tactics. S1 to was all “Shield Wall!” to beat the army where everyone is doing their own thing. By the end of S3 and in to 4, the good guys are all standing around in somewhat of a line in groups and then they all run in same direction at different speeds. 

Also, did I miss the resolution of whatever plague was running through everyone in E7?  There were bodies in the trees river in E7 and it was 100% gone by E8.  Do we need to get their doctors to work on covid19?

On 5/5/2020 at 5:26 PM, bschoolprof said:

In real life, Alfred's Dad was named King Ethelwulf.  Had had 6 legitimate kids: Alfred, Ethelstan, Ethelbald, Ethelberht, Ethelswith, and Ethelred.

I am not shitting you.  

I think at some point back in time Alfred's Father or perhaps Grandfather was plowing Ethel's field. 

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Binged watched the all of season 5. My intent was to spread the watch over a couple of weeks but when i got started...fuck me that was a fucking fantastic season and ending. I won't spoil much but damn this season definitely brought the feels, tons of feels. 

Last season sucked but this season, my god. 

Looking forward to the final 2 hour movie sometime in the future.

I am Uhtred, son of Uhtred, Bitch!

• Hook 'Em 2

this show does not get the love that it deserves. the story and plot lines are well thought out. there's obvious deux a machina in some story lines, especially with season finales but as a whole, it's a well thought out, well written series. the acting is top incredible. most of the characters were unknown before this series but fuck can they all act.

got damned season 5 brought the feels. i can't get this season out of my head.

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

I need a wiki of all the character names. Every fucking one them sounds the exact same.

Urkelethelfredted right said fred

its pretty easy if you follow along

king aethelwulf had a son named aethelred who married aethelfled.  shes a hottie and the cousin of aethelwold, and the aunt of aethelstan, who makes up one of the aethelings.  shes got a kid named aelfwyn, not to be confused with a nephew named aelfweird.  shes also got an uncle named aethelred who was named after her grandpa aethelred, so maybe thats a bit confusing

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

king aethelwulf had a son named aethelred who married aethelfled.  shes a hottie and the cousin of aethelwold, and the aunt of aethelstan, who makes up one of the aethelings.  shes got a kid named aelfwyn, not to be confused with a nephew named aelfweird.  shes also got an uncle named aethelred who was named after her grandpa aethelred, so maybe thats a bit confusing

Keep in mind most of these people were real people in history. I'm not sorry Aethel.... felll out of fashion.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Keep in mind most of these people were real people in history. I'm not sorry Aethel.... felll out of fashion.

joking aside its pretty fucking annoying trying to memorize history when half of the english kings were named either Edward or Henry (or George).  if memory serves me right, some of them even werent named that at birth, but it became a titular thing that they later assumed

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Eathy for to to thay.

That Brita is a swell gal.

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Sa Da tay!

Spoiler

Not sure why Uthred would let Brida go or why anyone else would let them escape.  It also seems like a terrible idea to run out the people when the battle had turned against the Brida.     I mean, if I were Uthred, and my kids were harmed like his son, I don't imagine I would be so charitable in any circumstance even if the mom just watched her kid fall to her death.  My dagger would be cutting tendons, tits off, and my hammer would be smashing every bone in her body.  A blood eagle would be a fucking reprieve for what I would do to the bitch.    

first major battle seems a little suspect to me ^

15 hours ago, Nivek said:
  Hide contents

Not sure why Uthred would let Brida go or why anyone else would let them escape.  It also seems like a terrible idea to run out the people when the battle had turned against the Brida.     I mean, if I were Uthred, and my kids were harmed like his son, I don't imagine I would be so charitable in any circumstance even if the mom just watched her kid fall to her death.  My dagger would be cutting tendons, tits off, and my hammer would be smashing every bone in her body.  A blood eagle would be a fucking reprieve for what I would do to the bitch.    

first major battle seems a little suspect to me ^

Spoiler

Not to mention 5 minutes later Uthred is all, "Let's go find Brida and kill her".

13 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:
  Hide contents

Not to mention 5 minutes later Uthred is all, "Let's go find Brida and kill her".

Spoiler

A little farther along now, and Sigtryggr is dead.   Again, he went from living in peace and harmony with everyone, enjoying the spoils and prosperity, and then with a whisper from his brother, he ends up on the run from his own people begging for help from the Saxons.  Gets help (Uhtred et al), comes back rescues his wife and restores his throne.  But he then turns his angst to the Saxons because they didn't help,  and he failed to protect, and he ignores the fact that everything that wrecked his world was caused by his own people's extremism, so he decides to embrace that?  Then minutes later he is frothing at the mouth about murdering all of the saxons and those he failed to protect and launches a sneak attack accidentally against the right adversary.  But in typical sigtrygger fashion fails again.   Then stands in defiance as the King wishes to end this exploitation through assimilation.    Now the King absolutely should have taken York, and left a loyal supporter in charge or even let Siggy stay on as a Lord but swear fealty to the King.    But Siggy fails again, gets dead and his people are once again lacking a leader and will likely turn to his idiot brother with the broken brain.    Great fucking choice Siggy John Galt.   You were crap and foolish but now your people have even worse options and future.   But hey, you got principles!     

Sygtryggr = Russian conscripts.

• Haha 1

Cause he's a fictional character surrounded by historical figures that he can't outshine or else he would end up leading a viking horde that conquers England.  The one downside of historical fiction like this is that the main character has to be really good at what he does to make it interesting, but subject to really bad luck and bouts of dumb decisions to keep them from rising too high.

Edited by kevwun

Cause he's a fictional character surrounded by historical figures that he can't outshine or else he would end up leading a viking horde that conquers England.  The one downside of historical fiction like this is that the main character has to be really good at what he does to make it interesting, but subject to really bad luck and bouts of dumb decisions to keep them from rising too high.

If I recall correctly King Alfred of Wessex, talked to him about how he would play a large part in shaping the history but would not receive credit.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Nivek said:

If I recall correctly King Alfred of Wessex, talked to him about how he would play a large part in shaping the history but would not receive credit.

cause he's a heathen. can't espouse the greatest of a christian england if a heathen was a major character delivering that vision.

On 3/13/2022 at 10:02 PM, kevwun said:

The stories are largely fiction but Uhtred wasn’t fictional. He’s just appearing about 100 years before he’s alive. 

This season was bad. The series got worse and worse with each successive season. 

Well done, but five seasons is just too long for a series like this.  And I'll admit that's on me.  Maybe it's The Wire and I've got some weird psychological wall about having trouble with great series after three seasons -- they are being reckless in trying to stretch things out.

Wanted to strangle that airhead who got everyone killed by her stupidity.  Just run into the trees, not straight down the road, you stupid wench.