The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Buzzrock

Love Alex Borstein in this.

No, I don't want some lemonade. Do I look like I want some cocksucking, fucking lemonade?

You grew up in Brockway. Your house was on stilts. How do you not know how to swim?

Because my drunken whore of a mother never taught me.

What if you fell in the water?

Well, then Christmas came early that year.

Edited by RPM

On 12/8/2019 at 6:12 PM, TonyTexas said:

I really love this show. The sets, costumes and soundtrack are amazing. It’s campy and theatrical and just a lot of fun. 

It got a little too campy in the middle of the season with some scenes with Jane Lynch and the scenes with Tony Shalubs hippy friends.  I can't believe the daughter from Californication got another acting job she is awful.

Overall good season, but too short.

It did make me think at times I was watching a play or old musical, which I guess I liked ok, my parents made me watch a lot of them growing up.

Does a good job of subtly showing the different mindsets from the 60s concerning race, homophobia, women's rights, etc.    I'd like to see  more Lenny Bruce in the thing. 

Spoiler

What's weird is that i was expecting her to expose him at the Apollo.  But at the end of the set, I felt she hadn't.   Next thing you know, she did, in a way.   Caught me off guard, since I was looking at her monologue through today's eyes, not eyes of the 60s. 

this show is making me not like kevin pollack anymore, which is sad.  the scenes with the in-laws and with the ex-husband dragged, and were, at times, very theatrical (his new girlfriend was fucking annoying).  shalhoub still rules though.

i've gotten used to the idea that midge (and sometimes susie) are always "on", and i'm ok with it.  it's part of the show's charm.  but when everybody is on, it can get on my nerves.

solid season, with a bummer of an ending, but one they telegraphed through much of the season.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2019 at 2:33 PM, irishtexan said:

I just watched both seasons of this and enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Wish we got to see her boobs more than the first show. But she's pretty hot, pretty funny, the set design/costumes are fun to watch in a "Mad Men" kinda way. Definitely worth the time. 

Agreed. I watched the first two episodes last night and loved them. I love the 50's/60's backdrop, certainly adds to the charm (loved Mad Men for this same reason -- and many others).

• 2 years later...

Kevin Pollack and the lady that plays his wife are fucking killing it. The Ferris Wheel scene was hilarious. And her fixing Joel up with a pregnant jewish lady because he is not a great catch as a divorced father of two and this is as good as he can do is genius writing. I rewatched the last 2 episodes of last season and then enjoyed the new season shows. Glad I did. 

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, mdmost said:

I want a limited series with Luke Kirby doing more Lenny Bruce. That's one of the highlights of any season for me. The near perfect rendition of the Steve Allen Show appearance was incredible.

Lenny giving Midge the truth bomb in the last episode was great TV. 

Every actor in this show absolutely nails their role, no matter how small it is.

My only minor complaint is that I wish there was more of Midge's stand up like in the first season. However, writing stand up comedy to that level, in the relatively short time between season, must be really difficult.  I would think we get a lot more in the the upcoming final season since she has to either make it or quit by the finale.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Lenny giving Midge the truth bomb in the last episode was great TV. 

Every actor in this show absolutely nails their role, no matter how small it is.

My only minor complaint is that I wish there was more of Midge's stand up like in the first season. However, writing stand up comedy to that level, in the relatively short time between season, must be really difficult.  I would think we get a lot more in the the upcoming final season since she has to either make it or quit by the finale.

Also, more of Midge's tatas like S1E1.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...