2019 Texas HS football

Machinator

8 hours ago, Goodman said:

No thanks. HSFB has lost its soul with these generic ISD stadiums, no reason to move a home/home at 2 great HS stadiums.

lolwut?  Westlake's stadium sucks.  It's horrible to get in and out of, and there's not nearly enough parking for a crowd that would show for the Lake Travis game.  The stadium is nothing special, either:

Capture.jpg

Have not been to LT, but have heard the parking is also inadequate.  

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Gents. These HFC who make 100K plus a year. What are their typical roles in the school?  GYm teacher?  Sure it’s not just coaching is it?

They're almost always the AD for the school as well. Most of the assistant coaches will coach a secondary sport, and just about all of them will teach a school subject too.

*Just about all the assistants will coach a school subject, to be clear. I've never heard of a head football coach also teaching a subject, at a large school anyway. 

Edited by Helobious
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

lolwut?  Westlake's stadium sucks.  It's horrible to get in and out of, and there's not nearly enough parking for a crowd that would show for the Lake Travis game.  The stadium is nothing special, either:

Capture.jpg

Complete pain in the ass to get in/out of but I prefer HSFB to be played on campus.

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Gents. These HFC who make 100K plus a year. What are their typical roles in the school?  GYm teacher?  Sure it’s not just coaching is it?

If you're a 5A or 6A head football coach, you aren't teaching classes.  Unless you're just in a really broke district.

If you're in a district with multiple high schools you'll probably be the "athletic coordinator" at your school which is just a middle man between coaches and ADs. You basically go to other sports games and gather some decisions.

I actually know girls basketball coaches that don't have to teach classes. Some competitive football schools don't even have OC/DCs teach classes 

Edited by fellside

9 hours ago, fellside said:

If you're a 5A or 6A head football coach, you aren't teaching classes.  Unless you're just in a really broke district.

If you're in a district with multiple high schools you'll probably be the "athletic coordinator" at your school which is just a middle man between coaches and ADs. You basically go to other sports games and gather some decisions.

I actually know girls basketball coaches that don't have to teach classes. Some competitive football schools don't even have OC/DCs teach classes 

Even at smaller/lower income school districts, a lot of the coaches just coach other sports rather than teach classes. The OC at the HS I attended a while back coached football and had two periods of baseball "offseason" classes for anyone who didn't play football to attend to prep for baseball all year. He was also the head baseball coach. The head coach was "Athletic Director" and in charge of all sports for both sexes. 

11 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Capture.jpg

I see they replaced their 12th man, the green carpet

#ValleyFootballMatters

Some names to remember: Matthew Padilla- Los Fresnos QB, and Jeremy Duran - Mission QB. Both will be sophomores, and both were varsity starting QBs last year as freshmen. I never watched it but Duran is apparently somewhat well known for starring on that “Friday Night Tykes” show years ago. Yeah it’s the valley but to be the starting QB as a freshman on a 6A team is no small feat. They both have some pretty impressive highlight tapes as well. Neither will ever be a college recruit or anything, but look for them to put up Kyler Murray & Landry Gilpin-like numbers by the time they’re juniors and seniors.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 8:44 PM, Beau Vine said:

Capture.jpg

Here's Lake Travis' Cavalier Stadium in Lakeway. Parking is limited.

13.jpg

4 hours ago, WBT said:

My OC/OL coach was my calculus teacher.  Bet there aren't too many of those in the state.  The rest of our coaches were your typical history/geography/health teachers.

Best Spanish teacher I ever had was a high school tennis coach. Strongest fucking human being I've ever met, too. The football coaches actually asked him to stop working out with the team because he intimidated them. (Spoiler alert: Yes, Kingsville football sucked. There's a reason most A&I players are not from Kingsville.)

Anyway, this tennis coach was also a surfer. Spent his summers in El Salvador, surfing. During the late 70s, early 80s, mind you, when El Salvador was in the middle of a civil war. Crazy son of a bitch was definitely worth getting to know.

Grew up in Longview. Moved to Pennsylvania in 90 after working in zdallas a year and a half.

I only get homesick twice: At Thanksgiving and the first week of HS football. 

Pennsylvania people like to pretend HS football here is a big deal and teams are good. They’re very, very wrong. The best team might hang with Allen but aside from the tip top it’s pure trash.

On 8/12/2019 at 9:07 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Grew up in Longview. Moved to Pennsylvania in 90 after working in zdallas a year and a half.

I only get homesick twice: At Thanksgiving and the first week of HS football. 

Pennsylvania people like to pretend HS football here is a big deal and teams are good. They’re very, very wrong. The best team might hang with Allen but aside from the tip top it’s pure trash.

I wonder how much it's declined with the coal and steel industries.  And of course, HS football now is more than big bohunk linemen and fullbacks.

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I wonder how much it's declined with the coal and steel industries.  And of course, HS football now is more than big bohunk linemen and fullbacks.

I moved here in 2006, no idea why it changed to 90. Western PA has some good teams but they’d mostly all get their asses mauled by basically any district winner in 2A and up.

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Why the fuck is Plano scheduling an El Paso school in the first place?

It was probably Eastwood that reached out I'm guessing. For the longest time, border schools (valley/laredo/el paso) wouldn't really play anyone from other parts of the state because they're so isolated. Their first taste of non-border competition would come in the form of a playoff buttfucking. Manny Gomez of Harlingen realized the problem and scheduled Abilene for a non-district game in 2011. Harlingen beat them and happened to advance to the state quarterfinals the same year. Since then there's been a notable increase in border schools playing northern schools in non-district play. For example this will be the 2nd year in a row everyone in District 32-6A will play an opponent in District 2-6A. Many El Paso schools have been making long treks across the state to up their level of pre-district competition as well (like EP Montwood playing Smithson Valley a few years back).

Back on topic, this is a pretty stupid move from Plano High. There's been no threats, they were just worried about possible issues. Would've been a great chance for the communities to come together. 

15 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It was probably Eastwood that reached out I'm guessing. For the longest time, border schools (valley/laredo/el paso) wouldn't really play anyone from other parts of the state because they're so isolated. Their first taste of non-border competition would come in the form of a playoff buttfucking. Manny Gomez of Harlingen realized the problem and scheduled Abilene for a non-district game in 2011. Harlingen beat them and happened to advance to the state quarterfinals the same year. Since then there's been a notable increase in border schools playing northern schools in non-district play. For example this will be the 2nd year in a row everyone in District 32-6A will play an opponent in District 2-6A. Many El Paso schools have been making long treks across the state to up their level of pre-district competition as well (like EP Montwood playing Smithson Valley a few years back).

Back on topic, this is a pretty stupid move from Plano High. There's been no threats, they were just worried about possible issues. Would've been a great chance for the communities to come together. 

Unless I read my DCTF wrong, Eastwood is 5A, and they decide to play one of the biggest schools in the state?  

4 minutes ago, markstanco said:
On 8/12/2019 at 10:59 AM, texifornia said:
lol this is absurd

I don't get why this is a problem. The city voted for it, they elected to pay for it. Same with any stadium like Allen.

I still remember walking by Ole Miss' awesome new basketball stadium with one of my brother's friends: "well it'd be nice if they'd have air conditioned the classrooms first..."

• Like 1

Plano v. EP Eastwood has been moved from Kimbrough Stadium to the Ford Center at the Star in Frisco, which is the Cowboys HQ.  Wouldn't be surprised if some of the Cowboys brass/players show up to welcome the kids from EP.  Make it a really special game.

Edited by Jive Turkey

40 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Plano v. EP Eastwood has been moved from Kimbrough Stadium to the Ford Center at the Star in Frisco, which is the Cowboys HQ.  Wouldn't be surprised if some of the Cowboys brass/players show up to welcome the kids from EP.  Make it a really special game.

On a Thursday.  How many days of school is El Paso going to miss?

35 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

If a kid's ticket is football, why stop him from transferring to a school that can better achieve his goal? Why force him to stay at a shitty school like North Forest?

The 6-0 vote came from the schools on Tomball’s district.  Either there was evidence of him doing this for athletic purposes, or else six very sorry people in the administration of those six schools.

20 minutes ago, cochamps said:

The 6-0 vote came from the schools on Tomball’s district.  Either there was evidence of him doing this for athletic purposes, or else six very sorry people in the administration of those six schools.

nope the 6-0 vote was from the state committee, says so right in the tweet.  

• Like 1