2019 Texas HS football

Machinator

12 minutes ago, blacklab said:

What's your relation to Andrews? They are pretty damn good in golf.

I grew up in Big Spring, and they became one of our two primary rivals (the other being Sweetwater) when we fell out of the Little Southwest Conference in 1986. Of course, the Mighty Steers couldn't really be considered a rival to anyone these days in football.

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

What's your relation to Andrews? They are pretty damn good in golf.

They also are about the only west Texas school to have an indoor Olympic pool. They were in our district when I was in HS at Frenship, and they were a whipping boy, but those were Bobby Davis days, so everyone west of 35 was our whipping boy.

44 minutes ago, Helobious said:

They’ll opt up. 

Part of me thinks they will -- programs usually opt up when there are not enough nearby schools at the assigned level and there aren't many/any CC area 4AD1 schools.  

Part of me thinks they'll stay down to increase their chances of finally winning a state championship.

14 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Part of me thinks they will -- programs usually opt up when there are not enough nearby schools at the assigned level and there aren't many/any CC area 4AD1 schools.  

Part of me thinks they'll stay down to increase their chances of finally winning a state championship.

Can't lose sight of how big a deal high school baseball is in the coastal bend though. Moody vs Calallen in the baseball playoffs has filled up Whataburger field to standing room only multiple times in the past decade. Moody vs Ray did it at least once too. Being in 5A allows Calallen be in the mix with Moody, King, Ray, Veterans, Carroll, GP & TM. All really strong baseball programs that are always competing for the top youth players in the area. Dropping to 4A would kind of put Cal on the back burner in that regard. 

Sometimes I wonder where I'd be in life if I forgot even half of what I knew about south texas high school sports and filled it up with something useful. At least asking someone where they went to high school or college and then naming the mascot has proved to be a helpful ice breaker many times I guess. 

I think we (HP) get bounced in the 3rd round, which is when we'd have to face Lone Star again, assuming I read the bracket correctly.  I went to the game on Friday night, and Timberview hung around way too long.
I think it will be Lone Star vs Pearland Shadow Creek in the final.  They have been murdering people all year.

How is Lone Star so good when the other Frisco schools are pretty shitty? It is a Katy situation where the best players in the district “transfer “ there?

How is Lone Star so good when the other Frisco schools are pretty shitty? It is a Katy situation where the best players in the district “transfer “ there?
That's a good point. I have a good friend who's kid played there and they got drove for years and all the sudden here they are. That's a tough one in the transfer rule.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stunns38 said:

could just be coaching.  HP has inferior talent to most of the teams we play and we still beat their ass.  

except lone star, of course. 

• Like 1

That's a good point. I have a good friend who's kid played there and they got drove for years and all the sudden here they are. That's a tough one in the transfer rule.

I never thought any Frisco team would have any consistent success.
They don’t allow transfers within attendance zones. Lone Star opened in 2010 and four more high schools have opened since then with two more on the way. Their current coach has been there for six years and he does have a very good staff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Lol. They’d get absolutely bullied by Allen, Duncanville, SLC, Desoto & Cedar Hill if they did that. They’re never opting up to 6A and exposing themselves to serious competition like that. I was talking about Calallen.

And I was being ever so slightly sarcastic. 

Meanwhile my 9-1 Abernathy Antelopes face the Mighty Owls from Reagan County this week.  The Big Lake Bombers are (0-10) coming into the Bi-District tilt in Big Spring. 

Edited by Iceman

Good thread on playoffs from Mike Roach...

https://247sports.com/college/texas/board/21/Contents/lets-talk-txhsfb-playoffs-preview-picks-general-discussion-138467278/

Also a podcast that includes some playoff talk...

The State of Recruiting Podcast:  Arkansas Fallout, txhsPlayoffs and more

Mike Roach:  "Bobby Burton and I talk about how Texas could benefit from Arkansas fallout, txhsfb playoffs, and much more."

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/state-recruiting-arkansas-fallout-txhsfb-playoffs-more/id1279981104?i=1000456717445

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 6:24 PM, Helobious said:

Lol. They’d get absolutely bullied by Allen, Duncanville, SLC, Desoto & Cedar Hill if they did that. They’re never opting up to 6A and exposing themselves to serious competition like that. I was talking about Calallen.

Yep. HP would be a nobody compared to those teams you listed and many others. They did move up and got their ass handed to them and them moved back down. 

On 11/12/2019 at 7:09 PM, Helobious said:

Can't lose sight of how big a deal high school baseball is in the coastal bend though. Moody vs Calallen in the baseball playoffs has filled up Whataburger field to standing room only multiple times in the past decade. Moody vs Ray did it at least once too. Being in 5A allows Calallen be in the mix with Moody, King, Ray, Veterans, Carroll, GP & TM. All really strong baseball programs that are always competing for the top youth players in the area. Dropping to 4A would kind of put Cal on the back burner in that regard.

Danaher rules the roost in calallen, it'll be up to him and him alone 

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep. HP would be a nobody compared to those teams you listed and many others. They did move up and got their ass handed to them and them moved back down. 

lulz

27 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Amazing how that worked out,  huh

I think it worked out to three 5A championships in a row.  face.

37 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Temple at Longview tonight at 7:30 p.m.   Temple's offense scoring 48 points per game. Longview has a stout defense.  Quinten Johnston with 29 receptions and 7 TDs on the year.

Would appreciate updates.

7-6 Temple in 1st Q

2 minutes ago, happyhookem said:

I haven't lived in Texas in many years but looking to move back when I retire soon. What is up with the classifications? Hamlin is playing Menard and has the JV in before the half. They said Menard has won 2 games this year. How the hell does a two win team get in the playoffs?

Some districts only have 4 or 5 teams in them. Top 4 teams in each district get into the playoffs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Temple at Longview tonight at 7:30 p.m.   Temple's offense scoring 48 points per game. Longview has a stout defense.  Quinten Johnston with 29 receptions and 7 TDs on the year.

Would appreciate updates.

View 27

Temple 7

Just now, HornsOverIthaca said:

Westlake 16

Steele 7

Halftime

Despite his completion rate, Steele’s junior QB is a ten foot tall beast man who showers in vodka and feeds his baby shrimp scampi.

He's been their starting QB since he was a freshman.

Sharyland Pioneer junior QB Eddie Lee Marburger threw his 51st TD pass of the year tonight, surpasses the 50 Gilpin threw last year for the valley record. Pioneer up 42-0 on SA Southside... at halftime. Harlingen is in a dogfight with Vela, 28-21 cards at halftime. Not looking good for Harlingen even though they have the lead. Harlingen QB Jaime Galvan is the only reason they're even competitive with Vela right now.

• Like 1

Vela beats Harlingen 42-35. Cardinals receivers dropped 3 consecutive TD passes in the endzone late in the 4th, all wide open. Reminded me of the South park episode where both baseball teams would try to lose on purpose. Wouldn't expect much from the cards next year, all everything QB & RB will be gone. Maybe in 2 years when that strong freshman class reaches upperclass status. 

My alma mayer 6A D2 state finalist last year West Brook beat Kingwood 55-21.

My kids are in Brenham, how the F they're in region 4 is mind bottling.   Their 2nd round game is against Mercedes.  Could you find 2 schools in the same bracket farther apart?  Guessing they have to be playing it in Corpus next week