2019 Texas HS football

Machinator

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Is that unusual for 6 man? As in very little passing?

I watched Woodson years and years ago which was about 10 miles from my lease near graham. I dont recall the run/pass mix.

Basically it can vary greatly.  It's pretty common though that a team is heavily rushing oriented.  That usually means about 80-90% rushing yards.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Go Bobcats !

I know they get a lot of hate but I can’t help but to pull for them. Only South Texas team that does anything consistently in football. Cuero too but they’re not as dominant as Refugio. I’ll likely be waiting my whole life to see an RGV team make a miracle run, and even the SA teams have fallen off in recent years. So Refugio it is. Maybe Calallen can make more noise in 4A now.

29 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I know they get a lot of hate but I can’t help but to pull for them. Only South Texas team that does anything consistently in football. Cuero too but they’re not as dominant as Refugio. I’ll likely be waiting my whole life to see an RGV team make a miracle run, and even the SA teams have fallen off in recent years. So Refugio it is. Maybe Calallen can make more noise in 4A now.

Calallen went relatively far in the playoffs this year. Even Miller had a good run. Glad we were able to overcome the slew of injuries we’ve had during this playoff run. Not having Ysidro Mascorro tonight definitely effected the way Jason Herring had to game plan for Post. Hubbard had a hell of a game on defense for us.

On an unrelated note, Refugio has the number 1 ranked baseball prospect in America in Jared Kelly. It’s been a good year for athletics in this little town. 

17 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

IN yesterday's 2A Div. 1 game, Post's (home of Jackson Brother's Meat Locker & delicious beef jerkey) Taytem Thetford punted 6 times for a 46.8 yard average. Longest was 52, which means the mofo was consistent. Need to sign his ass to UT.

But is he from Australia?

5 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

spacer.png

Greatest HS tv moment has to be the Renner and that chick Erin doing HS Scoreboard Live when Longview lost. Might have been the same night Allen lost, these two were creaming their pants and crying all at the same time. If they have every hooked up, it had to have been that night.

OK, here's me picking the next three days in order of confidence.  If you're thinking of going for a day, I think the two best games will be Friday.

1.  TPG over Wimberley.  You'd be crazy to pick Wimberley to win this.  You'd be crazier to say they have zero chance, but PG just has too much talent, and I think their 3-year starting QB will be a bigger factor than their blue-chip DEs.

2.  Grandview over Pottsboro.  I think this is kind of like the College World Series -- it helps immensely to have been there before, and Grandview won it last season.

3.  Gunter over Paul Pewitt.  Similar to above, Gunter gets a big edge on experience.

4.  Mart over Hamlin.  Hamlin currently leads 7-0, but I learned years ago never to bet against Mart.

5.  FB Marshall over Aledo.  I just really wasn't impressed by Aledo last week.  This could be a different week and they could win by 30, but all the games below just look like tossups.

6.  Denton Ryan over Shadow Creek.  This is partly high because of homer pick, but gotdam, Ryan is loaded with talent and they had the most impressive win in the state last week.

7.  LaVega over Carthage.  What a great matchup.  Leaning to LaVega because I saw them dismantle Argyle and Carthage couldn't put away Lampassas last weekend.

8.  North Shore over Duncanville.  Part of me wants to try out Bill Simmons' Ewing theory because I think Duncanville's D is better and their RB is really underrated, but I'm not completely stupid and NS's QB has really gotten good.

9.  Westlake over Guyer.  I'll take Westlake just because their D is better, but I really have no idea.  

• Like 2

Basically it can vary greatly.  It's pretty common though that a team is heavily rushing oriented.  That usually means about 80-90% rushing yards.

Soph RB for Motley set 6 man single season rushing record with 4,081.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

OK, here's me picking the next three days in order of confidence.  If you're thinking of going for a day, I think the two best games will be Friday.

1.  TPG over Wimberley.  You'd be crazy to pick Wimberley to win this.  You'd be crazier to say they have zero chance, but PG just has too much talent, and I think their 3-year starting QB will be a bigger factor than their blue-chip DEs.

2.  Grandview over Pottsboro.  I think this is kind of like the College World Series -- it helps immensely to have been there before, and Grandview won it last season.

3.  Gunter over Paul Pewitt.  Similar to above, Gunter gets a big edge on experience.

4.  Mart over Hamlin.  Hamlin currently leads 7-0, but I learned years ago never to bet against Mart.

5.  FB Marshall over Aledo.  I just really wasn't impressed by Aledo last week.  This could be a different week and they could win by 30, but all the games below just look like tossups.

6.  Denton Ryan over Shadow Creek.  This is partly high because of homer pick, but gotdam, Ryan is loaded with talent and they had the most impressive win in the state last week.

7.  LaVega over Carthage.  What a great matchup.  Leaning to LaVega because I saw them dismantle Argyle and Carthage couldn't put away Lampassas last weekend.

8.  North Shore over Duncanville.  Part of me wants to try out Bill Simmons' Ewing theory because I think Duncanville's D is better and their RB is really underrated, but I'm not completely stupid and NS's QB has really gotten good.

9.  Westlake over Guyer.  I'll take Westlake just because their D is better, but I really have no idea.  

I'll only pick the 5A and 6A games, as I don't follow the lower tiers as much.

1.  North Shore over Duncanville.  JQJ being out sucks, would have been an epic battle otherwise.

2.  Westlake over Guyer.  Westlake looked amazing last week....very hot team.  Guyer is freaking stacked though, so might be a tight game.

3.  Denton Ryan over Shadow Creek.  Both teams are completely loaded with D1 talent.  Ryan beat a very good Lone Star team last week, which very much impressed me.  I expect a tight game.

4.  FB Marshall over Aledo.  Aledo doesn't appear to be quite the team as in years past, and Marshall has been murdering teams.

i dont know how good Duncanville is without JQJ but this is not last year's NS team. The defense is not nearly as good. The offensive line is not either. The QB is better at running than throwing and is not very accurate throwing the ball. Pretty much only throws screen passes or go routes. If JQJ was healthy, I would pick Dville in a route.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

i dont know how good Duncanville is without JQJ but this is not last year's NS team. The defense is not nearly as good. The offensive line is not either. The QB is better at running than throwing and is not very accurate throwing the ball. Pretty much only throws screen passes or go routes. If JQJ was healthy, I would pick Dville in a route.

Duncanville was the better team last year, too. They just shot themselves in the foot with turnovers. They gifted NS 7pts to start the game. Turned it over a few times stupidly. Then the end of the game hail mary.

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Duncanville was the better team last year, too. They just shot themselves in the foot with turnovers. They gifted NS 7pts to start the game. Turned it over a few times stupidly. Then the end of the game hail mary.

eh...I'm not so sure Duncanville was better last year.  Keep in mind Duncanville had a big home field advantage, playing in their backyard, while North Shore spent 4 hours riding up in a bus the morning of the game.

I do hope this year's game is competitive...really sucks that JQJ and Shadrach Banks (NS) are out.  Would have been fun to see the rematch, with both sides at full strength.

55 minutes ago, Ravishing Rick said:

eh...I'm not so sure Duncanville was better last year.  Keep in mind Duncanville had a big home field advantage, playing in their backyard, while North Shore spent 4 hours riding up in a bus the morning of the game.

Don't do this stupid shit again -- there is not a home field advantage, let alone a big one, in Jerryworld or NRG.  If North Shore spent 4 hours riding up in a bus the morning of the game, it's because they wanted to, because the UIL will pay for hotels.

Edited by Beau Vine

Grandview's OL is just too much for Pottsboro. They are dominating and controlling the clock and game. It's over now. 

Pottsboro did itself no favors with the turnovers, especially turning it over on downs when they had 1st and goal inside the 5 trying to tie it. Then Grandview scores on a  97yd drive.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I am not watching with the sound on, what is the story with the Grandview player that did not play that had the blue helmet on his head? Thanks.

so I never saw that kid with blue helmet on ..... but Grandview did have a player seriously injured in a car accident several months ago that went thru a long hospital stay..... Im guessing it was him??????

38 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Don't do this stupid shit again -- there is not a home field advantage, let alone a big one, in Jerryworld or NRG.  If North Shore spent 4 hours riding up in a bus the morning of the game, it's because they wanted to, because the UIL will pay for hotels.

Lol 

we will agree to disagree. 

1 hour ago, Ravishing Rick said:

I do hope this year's game is competitive...really sucks that JQJ and Shadrach Banks (NS) are out.  Would have been fun to see the rematch, with both sides at full strength.

Duncanville also down Blackshire and I think they said Thompson is nursing an injury as well.

Maybe Evans will have a dental appointment or something and not show up til the 4th qtr to even things out a bit

9 minutes ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Lol 

we will agree to disagree. 

You'll agree to ignore facts.  Did you see the interview with Refugio's coach after the game last night?  They asked him why they played better than their last few state games, and he mentioned that this year, instead of staying in a hotel, they got up at 7am and took the bus to Arlington.  So he thinks you're full of shit, too.  

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

You'll agree to ignore facts.  Did you see the interview with Refugio's coach after the game last night?  They asked him why they played better than their last few state games, and he mentioned that this year, instead of staying in a hotel, they got up at 7am and took the bus to Arlington.  So he thinks you're full of shit, too.  

Sorry I triggered you, my friend.  You’ve now twice declared that I’m full of shit. 

If you cannot grasp the fact that when a team plays near their home, has more fans in the crowd, and sleeps in their own beds, they will have a home field advantage, then you’re not worth my time to debate. 

To educate yourself, please research sports betting and learn about how teams playing at home have increased odds of winning. 

Be well. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rholl said:

so I never saw that kid with blue helmet on ..... but Grandview did have a player seriously injured in a car accident several months ago that went thru a long hospital stay..... Im guessing it was him??????

I am guessing that was him. They showed him about 3x from when I was watching it. Thanks.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Sorry I triggered you, my friend.  You’ve now twice declared that I’m full of shit. 

If you cannot grasp the fact that when a team plays near their home, has more fans in the crowd, and sleeps in their own beds, they will have a home field advantage, then you’re not worth my time to debate. 

To educate yourself, please research sports betting and learn about how teams playing at home have increased odds of winning. 

Be well. 

It's pointless to even engage with him. He will take you down his road of useless rhetoric and old man yelling at cloud syndrome. He's like this in every thread.

6 hours ago, Ths71 said:

Soph RB for Motley set 6 man single season rushing record with 4,081.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He broke a Ken Hall record. From the Lubbock Avalanche Journal:

The sophomore ended the season with 4,081 yards for the record previously held by Ken Hall, who had 4,045 yards at Sugar Land in 1953.

Kid's name is Jake Richards.

Edited by Steel Shank