2019 Texas HS football

Machinator

33 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Da fuq?

Well, we slid back to 4A, somehow managed to slip past Cody Danaher’s Callahan and a loaded A&M consolidated team, then lost to Hutchins only good team ever in Waco on a day where the temps were in the teens.  

also, I’m old.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Well, we slid back to 4A, somehow managed to slip past Cody Danaher’s Callahan and a loaded A&M consolidated team, then lost to Hutchins only good team ever in Waco on a day where the temps were in the teens.  

also, I’m old.

Older than you and did not recall The Hutch ever having a good team.  That was a sad place.  Turns out, not only were they poor but they were being robbed blind by their school board and administrators.

I kinda threw up in my mouth a little when I saw the Chaps turn to Champs as I thought it could be a pretty bad jinx.

I’m not sure if they did it in 1990/1994/1996 but they’ve done that same formation in the state title game at least since the 2000 Midland Lee game.

You’d think the band/hyline directors would want to put their own stamp on things but Hyline has also done that exact same Santa hats “sleigh ride” routine every playoff game for at least 20 years.

12 hours ago, WBT said:

Yeah I find it hard to believe there isn't a junior or senior that played qb as a freshman or jv that would give them a better chance to move the ball.  You can't fault the kid at all as he is giving good effort but he just doesn't look strong or fast enough to be competitive.

That was my first reaction too.  You mean two schools in the largest classification with good football participation numbers doesn't have an upperclassmen who is ready to go at second string.    And having said that,  the commentators in both games noted  ( and maybe they got their info wrong) the Ducanville QB had not taken snaps until last week and Guyer QB until last night in a real game situation.  I looked at both teams body of work during the season and playoffs and it looks like there were several opportunities for both QB's to do so.    I do wonder if both coaches kind of calculated things along the lines they think they might have a chance to be back next year or the year after and decided to use what time was available to get experience for both instead of going to an upperclassman?

Westlake did a good job trying to  intimidate the poor Guyer kid with not helping him up after they plastered him, probably calling his mom a few choice words, etc.   And for the most part, he picked himself up and got back on his feet and went on about his business.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

I’m not sure if they did it in 1990/1994/1996 but they’ve done that same formation in the state title game at least since the 2000 Midland Lee game.

You’d think the band/hyline directors would want to put their own stamp on things but Hyline has also done that exact same Santa hats “sleigh ride” routine every playoff game for at least 20 years.

I think Westlake is also the only team remaining that doesn't run though a giant inflatable thingamabob when taking the field.  Allen takes the cake for that.  You can see that thing from orbit.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

Man I felt sorry for that Guyer freshman QB. Kid got rocked all game long. Tiny. Looked like a kicker playing QB. There is a big difference between a 14-15 year old and an 17-18 year old when it comes to playing football.

Yep.   The transition period for most kids is their Sophomore year.  Some kids can handle better mentally and physically because they might have their birthdays earlier in the school year and they are 16 much sooner than others.  Of course genetics and few other things fall into places where a Sophomore kid has no problem competing with the Junior and Seniors.  And then you have some parents who have a kid who might have a birthday in the summer who hold their kids back which helps a Sophomore kid who should be a Junior compete well.  

Look at your own yearbooks (or your kids) from the Sophomore and Junior years and the transformations of the kids in all sports is very noticeable for the most part.  You still have a few who are late bloomers who might not show up until their Senior years which makes the struggles to get there a footnote for most except  for the kid and maybe his/her friends who watched them bust ass.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat

47 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

Westlake has had the same band director for the last 30 years. 

50 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

We didn’t do it in 90 for sure because I was in the band and it was so cold the instruments were freezing

Im sure Mr. Taylor came up with it after I left. 

Edited by Bateshorn

3 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

That was my first reaction too.  You mean two schools in the largest classification with good football participation numbers doesn't have an upperclassmen who is ready to go at second string.    And having said that,  the commentators in both games noted  ( and maybe they got their info wrong) the Ducanville QB had not taken snaps until last week and Guyer QB until last night in a real game situation.  I looked at both teams body of work during the season and playoffs and it looks like there were several opportunities for both QB's to do so.    I do wonder if both coaches kind of calculated things along the lines they think they might have a chance to be back next year or the year after and decided to use what time was available to get experience for both instead of going to an upperclassman?

Great post. One thing Dodge did well this year is giving 3 QB's a lot of playing time. Last year, his starter went down in the quarterfinals and the backup QB's didn't have enough experience to overcome it. This year, he had them all all split time equally for the first few games before he settled on his starter. Because most games were blowouts, all 3 got lots of playing time. Even in the 66-3  semifinal win vs Katy Taylor,  he had his backup QB's throwing passes throughout the second half just to keep them primed for the state game in case he needed them. That's smart.  

20 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

The Cat in the Hat is an OK commentator.  Tepper is an ass clown and Renner is Renner.

Renner's descriptions of purcell and his rings is misleading to say the very least. He was the HC at Allen for 13 years and was 3 games over .500 before moving on and becoming district AD for Denton. I think he was an assistant at Plano for a football title but when Renner says that shit they are counting girls soccer, softball etc as well as titles won by Florence and Walsh in football. Nothing against those other sports at all but he was not a head football coach for any state championship teams and that is certainly what Renner implies with his shtick 

Great post. One thing Dodge did well this year is giving 3 QB's a lot of playing time. Last year, his starter went down in the quarterfinals and the backup QB's didn't have enough experience to overcome it. This year, he had them all all split time equally for the first few games before he settled on his starter. Because most games were blowouts, all 3 got lots of playing time. Even in the 66-3  semifinal win vs Katy Taylor,  he had his backup QB's throwing passes throughout the second half just to keep them primed for the state game in case he needed them. That's smart.  

Well that disqualifies him from the Herman coaching staff.
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

The worst was deciding the playoff spot by a coin flip 

win your games...

The 2 years year after I graduated, my high school lost out consecutively on 3 way tie on coin flips.  Back then, only two advanced to playoffs.

As alums, we were pissed, but also LOLed at them for losing District games.

On 12/22/2019 at 8:14 AM, Bateshorn said:

also, I’m old.

Christ. I’ve heard that story from my brother and dad a billion times. They got on 360 planning on going to the game then their car slid on some ice so they went home and listened on the radio. 

• Like 1

I recall (slightly, obviously) a Daingerfield team advancing in the playoffs on like the 4th or 5th tiebreaker. I think it was rushing yards IIRC.

Obviously not the 1983 team who gave up 8 points the entire year.

I was talking shit to one of our contractors about him being from Daingerfield until he told he played there from 83-85. I quit talking shit after that. The sign at the Dairy Queen was awesome.
ee28b40d87d51b116da43dd3b2dd0a53.jpg

I was talking shit to one of our contractors about him being from Daingerfield until he told he played there from 83-85. I quit talking shit after that. The sign at the Dairy Queen was awesome.
ee28b40d87d51b116da43dd3b2dd0a53.jpg
I was 11 during their playoff run. I got to go every weekend to their games since my father is a huge HS football fan. To this day he will still get in his tahoe and drive 8 hours to catch a game he wants to see, even at 76 years old.

D'field had a tight end named steve stutsman (I think) #84 that played for baylor. He was a badass. They had maybe 4 or 5 D1 players from that 3a squad.

• 2 weeks later...

Kaedric Cobbs from Denton Guyer:

I do not know what the future may bring, but I know the lessons that I’ve learned playing Texas High School football have helped make me a better man.  Growing up in the Lone Star State, you very quickly learn, our State Creed should be:  faith, family and football.  My faith in Jesus, the love for my family and my football career have helped reinforce four disciplines that yield success in life and in the game of football.  Like the game I love, I have broken these philosophical thoughts into four quarters. 

1st Quarter: Have an “it’s not about me attitude”

• Take the focus off your wants and needs and focus on TEAM success.  
  • Individual accolades, including scholarship, should be a bi-product of TEAM success. 
  • Work hard with care, love, and respect for your community, teammates and coaches

2nd Quarter: Respect the “brand” you play for 

• Trust the process of development within your program. 
  • Trust the experience of your coaches.
  • Be loyal to your program through good and bad times.

3rd Quarter: Have faith

• Believe what God has for you, it’s yours!!! NO ONE can take it away
  • Your prize is on the other side of your pain, stay the course through the storm.
  • Your coaches want you to be successful but will not compromise team success. Do not take “no” personal.  

4th Quarter:  Win the day

• Be the hardest worker in the room, this includes the weight room and classroom.
  • Glorify God in every aspect of life
  • Do right, even when you think no one is watching
  • Work to leave your program better than you found it

I appreciate the Denton Community for the love and support during the past three years.  To the Denton Guyer Booster Club, the wonderful teaching staff and administrators at Guyer HS, the athletic trainers, all of the Guyer Coaching staff, the Guyer Band, the Blue Crew, the cheerleaders, the Silvos, JROTC, the Lantana Wildcat Organization, and most importantly to my amazing teammates, I say thank you for making high school football such an enjoyable and memorable experience.  A special thank you to Coach Michael Sampson, Coach Kyle Keese, my mom and dad for always pushing me to be the best version of myself.  I cannot forget to show love to my biggest fan and most loyal supporter, my second grade teacher Mrs. Hack.

I will always call Denton my home and I promise to represent this community in a way that will bring pride to My Wildcat Family.     

My dad says, “The world will always fear what it doesn’t understand and hate what it can’t conquer.”   Therefore, surround yourself with good people.  Wake-up each morning putting one foot in front of the other.  Believe in yourself even when no one else does, while working hard and staying humble.  Let your ultimate motivation be love for your community, teammates and coaches and also allow all your words and actions to bring glory to God. 

Doing it ALL in the name of Jesus,
Kaedric Cobbs
Colossians 3:17     

• Like 1

On 12/22/2019 at 8:14 AM, Bateshorn said:

also, I’m old.

Not really, lol.

30 minutes ago, XOVERX said:

Not really, lol.

Which part, genius?  The tight game against Calallen?  Beating Jeff Watson’s heavily favored Consolidated?  The fact that it was by far and away Hutchins deepest run in the playoffs? That we had to go up to Waco after an ice storm and the game was barely in the double digits?

9 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Kaedric Cobbs from Denton Guyer:

Isnt he the valedictorian of his class or something? I was, um, surprised to hear that during the telecast. Now that I’ve actually learned some about him I’m no longer surprised. Just another lesson about the pitfalls of prejudgment.

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Isnt he the valedictorian of his class or something? I was, um, surprised to hear that during the telecast. Now that I’ve actually learned some about him I’m no longer surprised. Just another lesson about the pitfalls of prejudgment.

I really hope he goes to USNA.  Unfortunately, his performance in the state title game probably brought him enough attention that he'll get better offers.

51 minutes ago, Rockwell Torrey said:

I really hope he goes to USNA.  Unfortunately, his performance in the state title game probably brought him enough attention that he'll get better offers.

It’s unfortunate he’s going to get better offers than the Naval Academy??? I’ve never heard or seen that in writing before 

22 minutes ago, Beigebandit said:

It’s unfortunate he’s going to get better offers than the Naval Academy??? I’ve never heard or seen that in writing before 

I meant from bigger "academic" football schools like a Stanford or a Northwestern.  I also say that as a USNA grad and a fan.

Edited by Rockwell Torrey
  • Like 1

Kind late here, but the Fr QB at Duncanville had played quite a bit in mop up duty.  Their district is weak and Samples had pulled JQJ on a weekly basis.  The freshman began the year as third team, but passed the other guy, as he clearly was more talented.  

TLDR, he played quite a bit, the announcers were in error if they said otherwise.

On 12/23/2019 at 10:59 AM, DaysOff said:

In my day we decided football games by penetrations inside the 20.

When I was in 7th or 8th grade our high school ended the season 10-0-1.  Our 1st round playoff game ended tied at 7-7.  It was also tied on penetrations but we lost on 1st downs.