2019 Texas HS football

Machinator

7 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

John Tyler is a 5A school, Longview is a defending 6A state champ, Longview is supposed to blow them out. The ridiculous thing is that Longview opened the season with 3 straight 5A opponents.

John Tyler looking like total dogshit had nothing to do with Longview.  JT's offense was abysmal.  QB looked like he had no idea what routes the receivers were running.  QB was missing/ignoring open receiver.  Run game was atrocious.  No one was blocking anyone.  

King sucked so bad that his dad stopped calling passing plays in the 2nd half.  Honestly I don't think they threw the ball again after the 3rd int.  JT knew Longview was going one dimensional and still couldn't stop the run.  JT is just an AWFUL AWFUL team.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

John Tyler looking like total dogshit had nothing to do with Longview.  JT's offense was abysmal.  QB looked like he had no idea what routes the receivers were running.  QB was missing/ignoring open receiver.  Run game was atrocious.  No one was blocking anyone.  

King sucked so bad that his dad stopped calling passing plays in the 2nd half.  Honestly I don't think they threw the ball again after the 3rd int.  JT knew Longview was going one dimensional and still couldn't stop the run.  JT is just an AWFUL AWFUL team.

JT got blown out by Longview last year too, they also lost by 50 to Cedar Hill early last year. They then went undefeated in district and only lost by 7 to Highland Park in the playoffs. They do this every year, they schedule impossible to win games early, get blown out, and then do pretty well once they actually start playing teams in their weight class. Class differences in high school football matter.

I don’t think JT makes the same run this year as they did last year, but them looking like dog shit absolutely had something to do with their opponent.

I have a dumb high school football question. I was out of Texas a long time but I think we only played teams in our football classification and everyone in our district was 5A. There was no 6A. I thought Vandergriff high school and Cedar Park High School were in the same district. I was told Cedar Park is 5A and Vandergriff is 6A. Is this right? Do 5A teams play 6A teams up until playoff time? Does it hurt your record and your ability to get into the playoffs if you are a 5A school and lose to a 6A school?

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I have a dumb high school football question. I was out of Texas a long time but I think we only played teams in our football classification and everyone in our district was 5A. There was no 6A. I thought Vandergriff high school and Cedar Park High School were in the same district. I was told Cedar Park is 5A and Vandergriff is 6A. Is this right? Do 5A teams play 6A teams up until playoff time? Does it hurt your record and your ability to get into the playoffs if you are a 5A school and lose to a 6A school?

No it doesn't hurt playoff chances. If you're in different classifications then you're definitely in different districts. Only district record matters for playoff qualification.

• Like 1

Vandegrift is 6A, CP is 5A. They are not in the same district any longer.
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bevo said:

So a 10 game season consists of first a few non-district games (like college non conference games) and then district games. During non district, you can schedule whomever you want, regardless of classification.  Districts are made up of teams from the same classification (theoretically all from a similar location in the state) and district record determines playoff seeding

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

IIRC, StJohn's is the school that just all of a sudden started recruiting up all of the football talent in the area, and all the other local Catholic schools won't play them any more.  

Nah, that's St. Frances in Baltimore: https://deadspin.com/baltimore-high-schools-sick-of-getting-whupped-by-footb-1826437133

St. John's is the UA CEO's alma mater, and has some shady basketball shit going on: https://deadspin.com/under-armour-bosss-alma-mater-wins-shady-hoops-game-ha-1822529498

• Like 2

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Nah, that's St. Frances in Baltimore: https://deadspin.com/baltimore-high-schools-sick-of-getting-whupped-by-footb-1826437133

St. John's is the UA CEO's alma mater, and has some shady basketball shit going on: https://deadspin.com/under-armour-bosss-alma-mater-wins-shady-hoops-game-ha-1822529498

Does DeMatha no longer dominate in basketball?

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Thanks. I was confused because I thought they were both in Leander ISD. And I know they play each other annually. In what district is Vandegrift?

They are in Leander ISD.  They are in 6A because of their enrollment size.  Leander ISD has some schools in 6a (Vandagrift, Vista Ridge, etc.)  and some in 5a ex. Cedar Park.

• Like 1

Harlingen is down at the half to Judson 19-0. Cardinal defense is actually somewhat holding their own, Judson has a defensive TD. The Rocket QB is a great scrambler, but overall they haven’t been super impressive so far.  Wouldn’t count on them to go that deep in the playoffs this year. 

Side-note, the Converse area hopped on a warp speed train to Shitholeville about 5 years ago, and it’s not stopping for anything. Hadn’t been over here in at least a year and my god. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Plorant said:

They are in Leander ISD.  They are in 6A because of their enrollment size.  Leander ISD has some schools in 6a (Vandagrift, Vista Ridge, etc.)  and some in 5a ex. Cedar Park.

So even though they are in the same district, the game doesn't count when deciding playoff eligibility?

30 minutes ago, Bevo said:

So even though they are in the same district, the game doesn't count when deciding playoff eligibility?

Sorry, I didn't make it clear.  They are in the same school district.  They are not in the same UIL sports district.  Vandegrift is in district 13-6A.  Cedar Park is in 11-5A Division 1.  Their game earlier this season was not a district game and will not have any playoff implications.

36 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Not in the same district, just the same ISD. There are AISD (Austin Ind. School District) schools that are 5A and 6A. They are in different athletic districts, but all in the same school system. 

38 minutes ago, Bevo said:

District 13 - 6A

• Austin Vandegrift
  • Cedar Park Vista Ridge
  • Leander
  • Pflugerville Hendrickson
  • Round Rock
  • Round Rock McNeil
  • Round Rock Stony Pt.
  • Round Rock Westwood
  • RR Cedar Ridge

District 11 - 5A 

• Cedar Park
  • Georgetown
  • Hutto
  • Leander Rouse
  • Manor
  • Pflugerville
  • Pflugerville Connally
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Par4 said:

Not in the same district, just the same ISD. There are AISD (Austin Ind. School District) schools that are 5A and 6A. They are in different athletic districts, but all in the same school system. 

I understand. I guess growing up we were an oddity. I went to a school in Spring Branch ISD and every school in the district was in 21 5A (I think 17 5A back in the day) so the school district and the UIL district were one and the same.

You know what, I may be wrong. We played Hastings and Elsik and I'm not sure if they were in Spring Branch School District. But, every school in Spring Branch ISD was 5A and in the same UIL district. 

26 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Ends their 33 game winning streak. 

HP's 2nd home loss in the past 21 years. Their first loss at home to a team from Texas since 1998. 

Damn, I was at that game too. Grapevine back when they were slinging the ball around when hardly anyone else would. I was 14 freaking years old. Scott Smith could never figured out how to defend the spread back in that day.

Turnovers were the big story tonight. 4-0, all picks

Edited by hpslugga

7 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

Damn, I was at that game too. Grapevine back when they were slinging the ball around when hardly anyone else would. I was 14 freaking years old. Scott Smith could never figured out how to defend the spread back in that day.

was it grapevine?  dallasnews.com recap from tonight says it was denison we lost to at home in 1998.  I know we lost a playoff game at amon g. carter to denison (and chris robertson) around that time, so maybe they have shitty reporters. 

27 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

19 minutes ago, futureman said:

was it grapevine?  dallasnews.com recap from tonight says it was denison we lost to at home in 1998.  I know we lost a playoff game at amon g. carter to denison (and chris robertson) around that time, so maybe they have shitty reporters. 

Lost to both Denison and Grapevine in 1998: http://lonestarfootball.net/team.asp?action=schedule&T=4027&S=1998&GUID=5698962212

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

I understand. I guess growing up we were an oddity. I went to a school in Spring Branch ISD and every school in the district was in 21 5A (I think 17 5A back in the day) so the school district and the UIL district were one and the same.

You know what, I may be wrong. We played Hastings and Elsik and I'm not sure if they were in Spring Branch School District. But, every school in Spring Branch ISD was 5A and in the same UIL district. 

Hastings and Elsik are in Alief ISD, and they added Alief Taylor HS in 2001.

Spring Branch ISD used to have 6 high schools, with Westchester and Spring Branch High closing in 1985.

The SBISD and Alief ISD schools have often been in the same UIL athletic districts over the years, but not as often since the 90s or so. Northbrook and Spring Woods have been in the second largest class a few times ( 4a awhile back and 5a after 6a was added). They are 6a now and just literally have no shot at beating anyone but each other. Saw some Northbrook-Cy Fair highlights and it was just ridiculous.  

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, futureman said:

Just looked again and Denison is the correct answer. Played them two weeks after grapevine 

The other thing to remember is that the UIL reclassifies and realigns districts every two years. So district alignments change often, especially in the Houston area with schools in school districts that do not have enough schools on their own to make up a UIL district. In the last 15 years, SBISD schools have been with Alief ISD, Katy ISD, Aldine ISD, Klein ISD, and CyFair ISD. When Stratford and Spring Woods were down in 5A, they we with Waller, Brenham, and other schools on 290 corridor.

1 minute ago, Jacob McCandles said:

When Stratford and Spring Woods were down in 5A, they we with Waller, Brenham, and other schools on 290 corridor.

I guess we were lucky to play all our district games at Tully and occasionally Alief. It would be kind of a pain in the ass to drive an hour to play Brenham.

On 9/13/2019 at 1:09 AM, Lonestar88 said:

John Tyler is a 5A school, Longview is a defending 6A state champ, Longview is supposed to blow them out. The ridiculous thing is that Longview opened the season with 3 straight 5A opponents.

Yeah, Lufkin and John Tyler have absolutely no history or rivalries with Longview[/ rolleyes at the ignorance in your post]

It's not college football where strength of schedule factor in, unless you're SEC.  This scheduling didn't seem to hinder the Loboes last season...

Geographically speaking, where's all the local 6A teams Longview can schedule?

Edited by Iceman

37 minutes ago, Jacob McCandles said:
41 minutes ago, Bevo said:
I guess we were lucky to play all our district games at Tully and occasionally Alief. It would be kind of a pain in the ass to drive an hour to play Brenham.

How about a 4p sub-varsity game in Brenham on a Thursday ...

Between junior and senior years, trips to Brenham, Waller, Tomball, and Magnolia in Houston rush hour traffic. A beating.

Class 6A

Rank Team W-L Result Score
1. Duncanville 2-0 vs. Wash., D.C. St. John's Sat.
2. Katy 2-0 d. IPN-Mexico 65-0
3. Allen 3-0 d. Coppell 28-21
4. Longview 3-0 d. John Tyler 42-0
5. GP North Shore 2-1 d. Spring Westfield 24-21
6. Austin Westlake 3-0 d. Austin Akins 58-7
7. Denton Guyer 3-0 d. North Crowley 55-7
8. Southlake Carroll 2-0 d. Odessa Permian 48-7
9. Beau. West Brook 2-0 d. Houston Lamar 36-34
10. Converse Judson 3-0 d. Harlingen 39-0

Class 5A Division I

Rank, Team W-L Result Score
1. Highland Park 2-1 lost to Frisco Lone Star 30-19
2. Denton Ryan 2-0 Idle --
3. Frisco Lone Star 3-0 d. Highland Park 30-19
4. Pear. Shadow Creek 3-0 d. Alief Elsik 63-7
5. Lufkin 2-1 d. Redskins del Estado 61-7
6. Angleton 2-0 d. Clear Brook 45-7
7. Hutto 3-0 d. EP Del Valle 38-14
8. Richmond Foster 1-1 vs. Magnolia West Sat.
9. Lancaster 2-1 d. South Grand Prairie 42-27
10. SA Wagner 2-1 d. SA Houston 43-6

Class 5A Division II

Rank, Team W-L Result Score
1. Aledo 2-1 d. Burleson Centennial 63-30
2. FB Marshall 3-0 d. Milby 59-0
3. CC Calallen 3-0 d. Needville 20-19
4. Huntsville 2-1 lost to College Station 29-13
5. Manvel 3-0 d. Sharstown 76-0
6. A&M Consolidated 2-0 Idle --
7. Lubbock Cooper 2-1 lost to Wolfforth Frenship 61-53
8. PL Calhoun 2-1 lost to Auto. de Nuevo Leon 37-21
9. Burleson Centennial 2-1 lost to Aledo 63-30
10. Boerne Champion 2-0 at SA MacArthur Sat.

Class 4A Division I

1. Argyle 3-0 d. Tyler Chapel Hill 62-7
2. Carthage 3-0 d. Marshall 38-6
3. Waco La Vega 2-1 d. Austin LBJ 21-7
4. Sealy 3-0 d. Waller 14-0
5. Paris 2-1 d. Gilmer 37-20
6. Liberty Hill 1-2 lost to Manor 33-28
7. Lampasas 2-1 lost to Lorena 31-30
8. Decatur 3-0 d. Midl. Heritage 41-28
9. Columbia 3-0 d. Sweeny 38-7
10. Dumas 3-0 d. Wichita Falls 7-0

Class 4A Division II

1. Tex. Pleasant Grove 3-0 d. Atlanta 48-17
2. Jasper 2-0 d. LC-Mauriceville 42-14
3. W. Orange-Stark 2-1 lost to Newton 20-14
4. Waco Connally 2-1 d. China Spring 21-20
5. Gilmer 2-1 lost to Paris 37-20
6. Lubbock Estacado 3-0 d. Amarillo Caprock 35-14
7. Graham 2-1 lost to Brownwood 28-14
8. Sunnyvale 3-0 d. Brownsboro 57-41
9. Midland Greenwood 3-0 d. Shallowater 49-14
10. Robinson 3-0 d. Troy 63-35

Class 3A Division I

1. Grandview 3-0 d. Venus 62-6
2. Malakoff 3-0 d. Mexia 17-14
3. Cameron Yoe 2-0 d. Gatesville 68-34
4. Atlanta 1-2 lost to Tex. Pleasant Grove 48-17
5. Wall 3-0 d. Midland Christian 20-14
6. Yoakum 1-2 lost to Gonzales 27-25
7. Gladewater 2-1 d. Center 48-28
8. East Chambers 2-1 lost to Hamshire-Fannett 26-19
9. Jefferson 3-0 d. Arp 38-8
10. Bushland 3-0 d. Borger 38-0

Class 3A Division II

1. Newton 3-0 d. W. Orange-Stark 20-14
2. Canadian 3-0 d. Perryton 48-0
3. East Bernard 3-0 d. Boling 42-0
4. Abernathy 3-0 d. Wellington 51-6
5. Gunter 2-1 d. Whitesboro 49-7
6. Daingerfield 2-1 d. New Boston 26-12
7. Holliday 2-1 d. Windthorst 47-20
8. Rogers 3-0 d. McGregor 53-20
9. Clifton 2-1 d. Maypearl 45-0
10. Cisco 2-1 d. Breckenridge 40-19

Class 2A Division I

1. Refugio 3-0 d. Aransas Pass 48-7
2. Shiner 3-0 d. Burton 49-0
3. San Saba 3-0 d. Junction 63-0
4. Mason 2-1 d. Sonora 33-0
5. San Augustine 2-0 d. Garrison 36-28
6. Panhandle 3-0 d. Childress 54-13
7. New Deal 3-0 d. Slaton 21-14
8. Garrison 1-1 lost to San Augustine 36-28
9. Tenaha 3-0 d. Tyler Gorman 54-0
10. Hawley 3-0 d. Hamlin 46-44

Class 2A Division I

1. Hamlin 2-1 lost to Hawley 46-44
2. Grapeland 2-1 lost to Crockett 48-8
3. Albany 2-1 lost to Eastland 60-28
4. Wellington 2-1 lost to Abernathy 51-6
5. Mart 1-1 d. Franklin 20-16
6. Falls City 2-1 d. Stockdale 20-3
7. Burton 2-0 d. Shiner 49-0
8. Gruver 2-0 lost to West Texas 74-46
9. Muenster 2-1 lost to Pottsboro 39-12
10. Bremond 2-0 d. Milano 44-6
  • Like 3

^^^^^^^^^^

1.  I would bet money on Pleasant Grove vs the entire field in 4AD2 right now to win state.

2.  Newton doesn't seem like they've slipped at all.  Wow.  Wins over Kirbyville, Silsbee, and WOS.

3.  That Wellington score is shocking.  (Slorch rejoices?) Wonder when the last time is that the Skyrockets have lost by 40+?  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Iceman said:

That is hard to fucking imagine.

El Campo has a freshman RB who will be one of the top recruits in the country.  

I remember about 5 years ago hearing Cuero fans say that 2018 was going to be their year.  They lost a lot more than just Whittington.  

IIRC, Cuero was pretty lousy in 2011-12, too.  

• Like 1

Travis Sthele, senior SA Reagan quarterback & UT baseball commit, played his first game last night. Sounded like he was suspended for the first 2 for some reason. He passed for 250 yards and led a 28 point comeback to beat Clemens 35-28, and Reagan's first win of the year. Reagan also has a freshman starting at RB, Carson Green. That has to be a first given the size of the school. Not even Marcus Wright did that. 

40 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

^^^^^^^^^^

1.  I would bet money on Pleasant Grove vs the entire field in 4AD2 right now to win state.

2.  Newton doesn't seem like they've slipped at all.  Wow.  Wins over Kirbyville, Silsbee, and WOS.

3.  That Wellington score is shocking.  (Slorch rejoices?) Wonder when the last time is that the Skyrockets have lost by 40+?  

PG is an awesome, awesome team. Atlanta is a solid team and the Hawks ate them Rabbits up.

Newton is just badass.  It is incredible what that town/ program has been through and they just keep wrecking shop.

Canadian still looms for Abernathy, in what would be a rematch of last season's Reg I Final  in 3A-DII.  I still think Canadian is deeper and more talented as a whole team.

Edited by Iceman