2019 Little League Thread

pepper brooks

Man, if pro baseball was played at the same pace as little league, I might actually watch a game or two before the league championships. Gotta adjust your gloves a dozen times and make absolutely sure that the guy on 1st doesn't lead off more than 14 inches I guess though.

Looks like Curacao was done as soon as their starter went out.  Gotta feel for them.  Great defense with some spectacular plays.  But they needed every bit of their top pitching to get past Korea then Japan.  Took an amazing play by the left fielder to beat Japan even with their best pitchers.  The blowout against Virginia allowed Louisiana to get Prather back one last time and that was the difference in this game early on.

36 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

16 for 22 ... SEVEN TWENTY-SEVEN 😳

Checked the past boxscores.   Louisiana hit .368 for the LLWS.

Congrats to Louisiana.    

Should note the Louisiana (Eastbank, same area) softball team lost in the championship game of the softball LLWS in Portland.   Quite a youth sports program they have in NOLA.

46 minutes ago, torre said:

Should note the Louisiana (Eastbank, same area) softball team lost in the championship game of the softball LLWS in Portland.   Quite a youth sports program they have in NOLA.

I read that Eastbank is less than a decade old. That's a meteoric rise for a new league.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys here’s the update and an ask... My son barely missed the 9U NL and was the first unprotected pick of the AL draft go figure. Two games in he’s playing well (2-2 today with two doubles, scored 2 of the team’s three runs and played a solid game behind the plate, had a great stretch catch on a well hit grounder and made the throw from second in time for the out, etc).

And I’m back from vacation and coach asked me to help out. Same guy that coached my other son in 12U. Good man, I really like him. He’s asked me to be in charge of the pitchers. I know some basic mechanics and just want some pointers as much about mechanics as how far to go with the kids.

I warmed them up today before the game and I’ve got some quick cute sayings for arm position and back leg follow through and such and I talk about breathing. I don’t say “don’t aim” but I do talk about not worrying about where the ball goes, focus on mechanics and it’ll come.

I had one dad complain to the head coach I was talking about so much mechanics. He doesn’t no shit about baseball. He just stands there. Tell me I’m not doing it wrong? Or am I?

I talk about how to line up on the rubber, why we step back and kick our knee up to wind up like a wind up toy, then we throw by letting our bodies move toward the plate. I talk about front half back half of the body. Glove hand out, front foot toward the plate. Arm back, throw and follow through with the back foot coming forward.

I find that when they do the motion right the ball has velocity and can be pretty darn accurate with no discussion about the wrist or release, only the body mechanics.

And these dads piss me off because they then say shit like look at the catcher ok yeah that’s fine but don’t aim is the only worse advice I can think of over just look at the catcher.

Anyway, any videos that are appropriate for this age group, reassurance or redirection would be appreciated. I don’t want to go to far with them beyond their capabilities but I think some proper coaching seems reasonable.

What do y’all think?

16 hours ago, troph said:

Okay guys here’s the update and an ask... My son barely missed the 9U NL and was the first unprotected pick of the AL draft go figure. Two games in he’s playing well (2-2 today with two doubles, scored 2 of the team’s three runs and played a solid game behind the plate, had a great stretch catch on a well hit grounder and made the throw from second in time for the out, etc).

And I’m back from vacation and coach asked me to help out. Same guy that coached my other son in 12U. Good man, I really like him. He’s asked me to be in charge of the pitchers. I know some basic mechanics and just want some pointers as much about mechanics as how far to go with the kids.

I warmed them up today before the game and I’ve got some quick cute sayings for arm position and back leg follow through and such and I talk about breathing. I don’t say “don’t aim” but I do talk about not worrying about where the ball goes, focus on mechanics and it’ll come.

I had one dad complain to the head coach I was talking about so much mechanics. He doesn’t no shit about baseball. He just stands there. Tell me I’m not doing it wrong? Or am I?

I talk about how to line up on the rubber, why we step back and kick our knee up to wind up like a wind up toy, then we throw by letting our bodies move toward the plate. I talk about front half back half of the body. Glove hand out, front foot toward the plate. Arm back, throw and follow through with the back foot coming forward.

I find that when they do the motion right the ball has velocity and can be pretty darn accurate with no discussion about the wrist or release, only the body mechanics.

And these dads piss me off because they then say shit like look at the catcher ok yeah that’s fine but don’t aim is the only worse advice I can think of over just look at the catcher.

Anyway, any videos that are appropriate for this age group, reassurance or redirection would be appreciated. I don’t want to go to far with them beyond their capabilities but I think some proper coaching seems reasonable.

What do y’all think?

I think if you're throwing to warm up rather than warming up to throw; actually I know if you're doing that, you're definitely doing it wrong.  They need to be doing active arm warm up as well as active body warm up before they ever throw a baseball.  You never, ever throw to warm up.  

I think if you're throwing to warm up rather than warming up to throw; actually I know if you're doing that, you're definitely doing it wrong.  They need to be doing active arm warm up as well as active body warm up before they ever throw a baseball.  You never, ever throw to warm up.  

This was mid practice. We warm up first without throwing. But if you mean mid practice we should do something before tossing the ball on the mound please do tell.

For the very beginning we do some running and some stretching and some arm movements to get the shoulder moving.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 9:05 PM, troph said:

What do y’all think?

So much material on pitching out there but I would keep it simple for this age group.

Pitch Like a Pro by Leo Mazzone. Good book that doesn't get deep into the weeds of biomechanics but keeps it simple for youth instruction.

Checkout Tuff Cuff, they have a good program for youth pitching https://www.tuffcuff.com

Focus on the fundamentals

http://www.youthpitching.com/mechanics.html

LOL If you want to start going down a rabbit hole check out https://www.drivelinebaseball.com

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 10:27 AM, BrazilHorn said:

A thing I like about LL though is the fact that unlike I believe every other sport it is age based.

Flag (and tackle now) Football, Lacrosse and Basketball (at least for us) have been grade based.

Baseball prevents all the redshirt parents who want their child to be the oldest and biggest from taking over the sport.

Not Little League, but unfortunately USSSA and Grand Slam have changed their rules and you can now play with your grade if you were held back once.  For example, most 3rd graders will turn 9 at some point in the school year.  Now, if you turn 10 during the 3rd grade school year, you are allowed to play in 9U.

9U Division Players who turn 10 prior to May 1 of the current season are not eligible unless they are in the 3rd grade. Also, any player turning 11 prior to August 1 will not be eligible. Players who are 9u are eligible for this division regardless of their grade.

Page 3

http://www.usssa.com/docs/2019/2019BaseballRuleBook.pdf

On 9/17/2019 at 10:25 AM, Don Johnson said:

Not Little League, but unfortunately USSSA and Grand Slam have changed their rules and you can now play with your grade if you were held back once.  For example, most 3rd graders will turn 9 at some point in the school year.  Now, if you turn 10 during the 3rd grade school year, you are allowed to play in 9U.

Page 3

http://www.usssa.com/docs/2019/2019BaseballRuleBook.pdf

Seems a bit odd considering if you are playing UTrip the trend is to play up not down. I guess this could be used as a loophole bring in ringers for big tournaments.

The only legitimate reason that I can think of is kids turning 15 in the 8th grade since there are not very many 15U teams they can play 14U.

23 minutes ago, F250 said:

Seems a bit odd considering if you are playing UTrip the trend is to play up not down. I guess this could be used as a loophole bring in ringers for big tournaments.

The only legitimate reason that I can think of is kids turning 15 in the 8th grade since there are not very many 15U teams they can play 14U.

I know many kids who were held back and just want to play with their friends in their grade.  This year, they do. And they are at an advantage.

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

I know many kids who were held back and just want to play with their friends in their grade.  This year, they do. And they are at an advantage.

In USSSA baseball? That kinda defeats the purpose of playing select baseball.

48 minutes ago, F250 said:

In USSSA baseball? That kinda defeats the purpose of playing select baseball.

I'm talking about 8, 9, 10 year old teams coached by dads.  5-6 friends and a few randoms.  Also, many All Star teams play in USSSA.  This rule lets the held back 9 year old 2nd grader play on an 8U coach pitch All Star team with kids in his grade, when he should be in 9U kid pitch based on age.  Despite the fact that he's a year+ older than some of his teammates and opponents.

That is a really stupid approach and the epitome of "daddy ball"

Kids are going to get hurt and potentially just quit playing as it isn't fun.

Baseball is a hard enough sport to keep kids involved in as they can literally go an entire game (or large portions of one) never getting a ball hit to them, they may only get 1-3 AB a game etc

Making it where the age gap isn't somewhat normalized is going to make that worse IMO.

Lifetime memories for these kids.    Check the expressions on their faces.

Houston Astros Alex Bregman greets members of the Eastbank Little League from New Orleans, who recently won the Little League World Series during batting practice before the start of an MLB baseball game at Minute Maid Park, Saturday, Sept. 21, 2019, in Houston.

Bregman and starting pitcher Gerrit Cole started a carousel of Astros who came over to sign autographs and speak with the club from Eastbank Little League

“You guys are famous,” Cole bellowed as he came over.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/astros/article/Alex-Bregman-Little-League-World-Series-Louisiana-14458258.php#photo-18302453

1024x1024.jpg

Edited by torre
  • Like 2

On 9/19/2019 at 11:53 AM, WBT said:

Maybe, he still ended up getting drafted in the first round with a $4 million signing bonus. At worst, it costed him a few hundred thousand dollars. As I recall, some mock drafts had him being picked 8th by the Rangers who ended up picking San Antonio native and Tech player Josh Jung for slightly more than what Baty received from the Mets.

Interesting piece of information, Jung's youth select baseball team had several kids end up getting drafted or playing D1 baseball recently. Feels weird seeing kids evolve into D1 or Pro baseball players.

Back in the ranks of youth league I’ve got 5 pitchers and last night had one with a strike out and then had three batters with two strikes. Ump seemed stingy. so close, lots of strikes and just couldn’t get the third strike. Ended up getting 5 run ruled when it coulda been 1 run only. Nothing makes you feel worse than seeing it fall that way when the kid pitched that well. My boy is doing ok but he’s regressed to pushing the ball, like a few of them. Working on breathing before the windup and self talk and self correction when walking back to the mound after a pitch. Well and of course the macro motions of pitching. Stressful. But it’s fun.

On 9/8/2019 at 9:05 PM, troph said:

Late to this, but I’ll answer. I’m the pitching coach for an 11U select team. I think you’re talking too much about mechanics. At 9U, everything about pitching is new, so you have to be as simple as possible. Stretch only, teaching and enforcing first balance...can they leave the lead leg up and hold it without falling over. Fastball only with whatever grip the kid likes. Teach them to pitch in a straight line to the mitt from that balance position, stride/arm/etc. That’s it for mechanics at 9U Fall. Follow through, backside, and anything but the most egregious mechanical mistakes are for later.

Thank you. I really didn’t think I was talking too much about it. But maybe I am.

I basically tell them it’s really just the same as throwing the ball when you’re playing catch and when they bring their back foot forward then can make it to the plate but when they don’t follow through they don’t. How do you get them to reach the plate without talking about that part of it?

They are improving, which says as much about just throwing the ball each practice than anything.

And I was wrong it’s 10U not 9U...

@troph

How is the season going with your kid and the team? Out curiosity, how are the catchers holding up? At that age the catchers take a beating and are good judges of pitchers. All of my kids were catchers at that age and didn't pitch, actually two are still catching at the high school level. Anyways, they were always the best judge of pitchers because it was on the catcher to block the wild pitches.

Does your league track win-loss records? Ours had a fall championship which gave the season a little more pizzazz. I know some leagues treat it as development only and ignores the record.

• Like 1

Our team is not that good but we’ve won a few games. Our team started from a coach who was asked to pick up the uncoached team and he and I worked together last year in 12U with our sons and he doesn’t have a kid on this team he’s just well liked. We started with no protected players. We have 5-6 that hit ok but only 2-3 that can really get the ball into the outfield and we have less than a full infield. My boy is probably one of the three top pitchers and he exclusively catches when not pitching.

I feel a lot of impostors syndrome coaching pitching but we won last game. My boy pitched the game before and had 3 strikeouts in 2 innings. Other games he’s sporadic. He’s a good catcher though. I’m getting him a used catchers mit this weekend. He practices pulling the helmet off and has caught two fly balls in the game. He’s not letting much get by him.

The rest of my pitchers for better or for worse seem to listen to me which is awesome. I do talk about basic mechanics but not beyond them. What I am working more intensely on is breathing and self talk. I’m pretty happy to see them get better and I especially like to see them now taking a deep breath before the go into their wind up without me asking. Three of them including my son are learning how to reset after a pitch and figure out what they want to do differently. They are learning to be positive with their thoughts and not get wound up when it doesn’t go well. Those three have the coordination and body control to throw strikes and it’s fun to watch them win some and lose some but generally improve. I’m really proud of them most when I don’t have to talk to them from the dugout and I really want them to learn how to control their own game. Of course I have to talk some. Mostly telling the to relax and such - I find yelling about mechanics makes zero sense. I’m also trying to teach my son to watch the pitcher and go talk to him if he thinks he needs too. We even have a sign for him to go out to settle the pitcher down. Nothing better than seeing a young man pep talk his teammate at the age of 10. Head coach has also asked him to evaluate pitchers in practice for picking the line up for next game. Sounds complicated but it’s all go with the flow and feels right.

I’ve got two others that to the post further above - they need to just figure out their basic balance. They are all over the place but god love them they want to pitch. They are hard to coach, I think just cheering them on is the best we can do, they can’t do a whole lot else.

We lose because we don’t field as well, and the games where our top three pitchers are tossing the ball we do keep it closer, so I really enjoy that part. What’s interesting is we have a dad that’s really all into the batting part and our kids are improving there too. Fielding is not going as well.

I love it. And the mom’s all come up to me and thank me for being out their with their sons, and my head coach is even better, says he is stressed when I’m not there.

My favorite moments are walking to the mound to reset them and give them a pep talk and having the team come off the field after my guys pitch well.

We do keep track of records and have a playoff double elim tourney to close it out.

Lots of rambling but it’s intense, even life changing though that might sound melodramatic. Coaching little league - It’s an amazing experience.

• Like 1

Good update. I once helped out a friend by coaching one of those teams without a designated coach for a fall season. It was one of my favorite coaching experiences, a bit of a Bad News Bears experience.

I like that you are addressing the mental aspect of pitching, that is a hard hill to climb for a lot of kids. Side note, check out Jamie Moyer's book "Just Tell Me I Can't." It's a great read on the mental aspect of pitching, more for appreciation of the game than coaching.

22 hours ago, troph said:

I’ve got two others that to the post further above - they need to just figure out their basic balance. They are all over the place but god love them they want to pitch. They are hard to coach, I think just cheering them on is the best we can do, they can’t do a whole lot else.

Totally agree, sometimes cheering them on is all you can do. I once had a 5'9 11 year old in Little League that moved like a newborn Giraffe, kid just needed time to adjust to his height. There wasn't a lot to do for his awkwardness but celebrate the positives, kid ended up a great wide receiver in high school football.

• Like 1

Practice this morning and based on what I posted here I convinced coach we needed fielding only practice today - and omfg we are awful in the field. With 3 or so that can catch, think and throw it’s not surpising. Still a beat down this morning.

On 10/5/2019 at 11:44 AM, troph said:

Practice this morning and based on what I posted here I convinced coach we needed fielding only practice today - and omfg we are awful in the field. With 3 or so that can catch, think and throw it’s not surpising. Still a beat down this morning.

That fall baseball team I mentioned in my last post had a lot of kids that struggled with basic baseball skills like throwing and catching. Which is understandable, they were young and in a fall season to develop. On the first day of practice we ran the "Around The Horn" drill and it was a complete circus. I demonstrated how it was supposed to look like with the coaches and my older sons and promised the team that they would be able to move the ball around the same way without errors by the end of the season.

One kid with excitement asked me "really, we will be able to do that?" I told him yes and we then began with the very basics of throwing and recieving, fielding grounders and then drilled those things for the entire season. We had training stations for other skills like batting, pitching and catching but no matter what, everyone was getting a ton of reps fielding grounders or just working on throwing and recieving the ball.

By the end of the season we could roll through multiple sets of Around the Horn without any errors. That was my most satisfying season of coaching, way more enjoyable than the League championships or All Star runs. Seeing a kid smile after snagging multiple flyballs in the outfield for the first time or turning a double play is just awesome. Seeing the kid walk away with new confidence is a very satisfying feeling. Yeah, coaching baseball is awesome and does impact the coach as much as the players.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lost our first game in the playoffs. We are a cellar dweller team and played I think the three seed tonight. In our league these AL teams can have 3-4 legit players. And the other team really did have them. They were the better team and they won.

First, my son dominated at catcher. We got him a catchers glove about two weeks ago and he’s taking to it. He’s learning the blocking moves in the dirt and he’s stepping up to catch the high balls, moving around and really doing a great job back there. He almost had a pop fly near the mound, kept a couple of runs from scoring with catches from the field and he was in position for a couple of plays at the plate that were thrown bad but he still almost got them. He’s got some damn good fundamentals going on right now. When he flips the mask off you can tell he’s totally dialed in. It’s a thing to watch. Super proud of him.

After the game tonight the other teams coach came up and said he played an amazing game and that he was by far the best catcher they faced. It was a really nice moment for him. And truth be told, he kept the bases frozen from steals for a lot of the game and that can be half the battle in 10U. Crazy pass balls sure but if it was close no steal he kept it in front of him.

But we lost.

My pitchers struggled but still only gave up 9 runs in 4 innings. We found our guy with the third pitcher. He ended up going two innings and threw hard and well. Went to over time, my kids played their hearts out but we lost by one run 9-8.

I sent the team parents this email:

“Everyone of our boys showed up and competed. Chasing balls to the fence, digging out a single when the other team was trying for an out, swinging hard on a strike out, getting hits when we needed them, making pitches, letting teammates take the reigns on the mound when their turn was over, diving for balls, throwing hard from the outfield to try and stop a run, cheering from the dugout, it was one of those nights I’ll never forget. I hope they remember playing the last few innings under the lights and really giving that other team all they could handle. This team wasn’t started with a group of protected players and a club of dads that have been coaching together for several years and yet in a few short weeks these boys made a team of themselves. That’s pretty damn remarkable. Tell your boys you’re proud of them, they found something in themselves tonight, each one of them and I was in awe. I hope y’all enjoyed the game tonight, for a moment time stood still and baseball was there was. That’s all we can really ever hope for from a game.”

I don’t know if I can keep coaching, it takes a ton of time. But damn tonight - even in a loss was why every dad or so inclined athletic mom should be on the field. Baseball is the most amazing sport and coaching kids playing it is truly a gift.

• Like 2

I don’t know if I can keep coaching, it takes a ton of time. But damn tonight - even in a loss was why every dad or so inclined athletic mom should be on the field. Baseball is the most amazing sport and coaching kids playing it is truly a gift.

I coached my son from 5 until 12 years old, and I managed three of the four all star teams he played on.  I look back on that as truly the most fun years of my life to date.  I loved just about everything about it - except for a handful of parents.  My son still calls me "Coach" all the time.  It takes a ton of work - I remember his 10 year old year when I drew the dreaded 4:00 practice slot and no other dads showed for the first two practices.  I also remember many of nights in the cage for BP at 9:00pm.  But its all worth it.  Still remember one of my players hitting a walk off grand slam - kid had never even come close to hitting a ball that hard before.  The look on that kid's face as he circled the base path was one of pure joy. He's a junior in college and last time I saw him I asked him if he still had the ball - he just smiled and said of course its on my bookshelf at home.

From reading our posts it sounds like your heart is in the right place.  Keep it up - it's very rewarding.

Edited by MAROON
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, MAROON said:

I coached my son from 5 until 12 years old, and I managed three of the four all star teams he played on.  I look back on that as truly the most fun years of my life to date.  I loved just about everything about it - except for a handful of parents.

I coached my sons throughout this age group as well. I can say without a doubt that it was the most enjoyable period of my life. To those still involved in the process,  I strongly advise you to stay in the moment and savor everything because it's easy to get distracted by being focused on future goals. The time goes by so fast and your kids will be teenagers in the blink of an eye.

• Like 1

Rules question:

Team is playing eight so the nine spot is an auto out. Eight batter grounds out leaving a runner on third. The ball is returned to the pitcher and the lead off steps in the box. Kid at third steals home before the auto-out is called by the ump. Does the run count?