Tathan (Tate) Martell in the Portal

Horn Under a Bad Sign

Joe Burrow handled this situation perfectly last year. He competed in spring practice, got his degree and was able to transfer as a grad transfer with no strings attached. Immediately elegible. 

Martell had the same opportunity.  Compete.  Win or lose the job. Graduate in May and move on if needed.  

But no.  This egomaniac has completely fucked up the situation.  Ohio State probably won’t allow him to practice in the spring now and his family may be on the hook for the spring semester.   What a dumbass and immature move. Shut your mouth and go through the process. 

I will say that the train wreck that appears to be happening is much more fun to watch. 

8 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Joe Burrow handled this situation perfectly last year. He competed in spring practice, got his degree and was able to transfer as a grad transfer with no strings attached. Immediately elegible. 

Martell had the same opportunity.  Compete.  Win or lose the job. Graduate in May and move on if needed.  

But no.  This egomaniac has completely fucked up the situation.  Ohio State probably won’t allow him to practice in the spring now and his family may be on the hook for the spring semester.   What a dumbass and immature move. Shut your mouth and go through the process. 

I will say that the train wreck that appears to be happening is much more fun to watch. 

Im shocked that recruiting an entitled, immature, spoiled little bitch has led to you having an entitled, inmature, spoiled little bitch on campus. Who could have predicted this kind of thing?

But at least you’re showing a good sense of humor about the whole thing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Does this statement apply to Cam Rising too?

No.  Ehlinger is entrenched as the starting Texas QB for probably the next two years.  

Martell doesn't even know whether Fields will receive the waiver to play next year from the NCAA, although everyone is assuming that he will.  

3 hours ago, alincoln said:

No.  Ehlinger is entrenched as the starting Texas QB for probably the next two years.  

Martell doesn't even know whether Fields will receive the waiver to play next year from the NCAA, although everyone is assuming that he will.  

Worse is that he's assuming that if Fields does win the waiver lottery, he'll be the starting QB. I mean he might know something we don't. Maybe the coaches told him "you're ass, my dude, compared to Fields", but it's not exactly being a WARRIOR COMPETITOR to say "well I'm no longer a shoe-in to start at QB, better hit the road"

• Like 2

As much as I think he's a little bitch, transferring to Miami now is a good move on his part. Especially if Hurts goes there.

This way Tate can practice all spring, learning the new system with all of the other QBs, then they step back and Hurts starts for one year, and then it's open season in spring of 2020 and Tate will have been in the system as long as everyone else. (Though it's not like Diaz won't be familiar with any of the QBs currently in Coral Gables.)

And lastly:

Miami vs Morgantown vs Louisville, KY...

I think that Tate is more of a Miami kind of guy and his clinging parents are as well.

• immamac changed the title to Tathan (Tate) Martell in the Portal
On 1/10/2019 at 1:43 PM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

It's a millenial's wet dream, though: you don't earn the starter's job, you just transfer to where there's less competition. 

I’m amazed at some of the whining I see on the Internet about generational bullshit.

Coaches (old men, not millennials) come and go and break contracts nonstop and guys like you don’t say one fucking word ...  but the moment a player, who isn’t paid and literally can’t afford to not play if NFL dreams are to be realized, seeks to improve his situation all of a sudden it is some disreputable move. 

Dumb.

Good for the players for finally getting the slightest bit of leverage for their situation.

Edited by The Earl of Texas
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Man that is going to create a shitstorm if the NCAA grants him a waiver. Basically would mean anyone who plays on the 20-30 teams with a coaching change is a free agent 

I'm not against that.  Coaches can change schools like underwear without having to sit out.

How come football and BB are like, the only 2 NCAA sports where sitting out is required?  Texas just got 4 softball transfers from Oregon and all of them are eligible for 2019. 

Edited by Js1

I’m amazed at some of the whining I see on the Internet about generational bullshit.
Coaches (old men, not millennials) come and go and break contracts nonstop and guys like you don’t say one fucking word ...  but the moment a player, who isn’t paid and literally can’t afford to not play if NFL dreams are to be realized, seeks to improve his situation all of a sudden it is some disreputable move. 
Dumb.
Good for the players for finally getting the slightest bit of leverage for their situation.
The big difference I see is that someone pays millions of dollars for a coach to break his contract.... Maybe if the school the player is transferring to pays the school he is transferring from the cost of the player's scholarships plus some amount for use of facilities he enjoyed at the previous school then the NCAA members could vote to change the transfer rule? Coaches contracts aren't broken for free...
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 6:19 AM, SydneyCarton said:

Im shocked that recruiting an entitled, immature, spoiled little bitch has led to you having an entitled, inmature, spoiled little bitch on campus. Who could have predicted this kind of thing?

But at least you’re showing a good sense of humor about the whole thing.

He did dump aggy so he's got that going for him. 

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I'm not against that.  Coaches can change schools like underwear without having to sit out.

How come football and BB are like, the only 2 NCAA sports where sitting out is required?  Texas just got 4 softball transfers from Oregon and all of them are eligible for 2019. 

Because those sports have revenue to protect.

12 minutes ago, JMFP said:

Coaches contracts aren't broken for free...

Yes they are -  a buyout clause has to be in a coach’s contract in order for a payment to go down like that. Many coaches don’t have that clause. And that’s just head coaches, no position coaches ever have buyout clauses, normally. Also, when Urban Meyer takes the job at USC next year, they will pay Ohio State nothing because he “retired“. 

I get where you’re going with that but I think even you know the suggestion is absurd.

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

While I agree with you, I doubt it will happen. This would basically make it OK for any player to transfer when there is a HC change. There aren't mechanisms in place to allow for a team to replace 15-20 kids who want to go somewhere else if their HC gets fired or takes another job. I doubt they grant it. Just like they shouldn't allow Fields to play immediately because one dipshit baseball player tweeted something racist one time. 

25 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Yes they are -  a buyout clause has to be in a coach’s contract in order for a payment to go down like that. Many coaches don’t have that clause. And that’s just head coaches, no position coaches ever have buyout clauses, normally. Also, when Urban Meyer takes the job at USC next year, they will pay Ohio State nothing because he “retired“. 

I get where you’re going with that but I think even you know the suggestion is absurd.

Just a point of clarification. Any coach that resigns (or is fired without cause) with a term remaining on their contract is liable for (or may be awarded) monetary damages for the value of the services under the remaining term of the contract. The hiring institution often settles these potential claims with a payment that could be a considered a buyout.  The "buy out clause" just fixes the monetary amount of these claims and makes it easier to move forward for both parties.  A coach doesn't just get to quit and leave scot free just because there isn't a  buyout clause in his contract.

So, I think there is a bit more potential for injury or damage associated with coach "transfers" than student athlete and the contractual situation puts a constraint on them. But, there probably should be a mechanism by which student athletes can transfer without penalty for some minimal "good cause."

Man that is going to create a shitstorm if the NCAA grants him a waiver. Basically would mean anyone who plays on the 20-30 teams with a coaching change is a free agent 
Exactly. I didnt see Tate sign a contract with meyer, it was with osu. For them to be able to transfer for this would be ridiculous.

And no js1, it isnt remotely close to the same thing comparing a coach and player leaving.

31 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I don't know if this was his original idea or not. It was the first time I heard it. But a caller to the local ESPN Radio affiliate had a great suggestion: The Offseason Transfer Portal Combine.

I'd tune in for that. That would be awesome. 

Great.  Just when we thought we were done with their HS bullshit.

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

So Tate wants waiver...... Fields likely to get a waiver too.....

"Justin Fields will seek a waiver to be eligible in 2019 as he heads to Ohio State from Georgia, sending Martell packing in the process. While the NCAA remains unpredictable, most believe he will get one."

Edited by LTtxfan

On 1/10/2019 at 9:58 PM, mulletpelini said:

wrapped up like a douche another rumor in the night.

Anyone who wants to see why "Tathan" is the way he is, simply watch QB1(hell if you watch the first episode you'll see enough to understand).  His parents are his best friends.  They ride on his fucking coattails like a little freshman bitch to the senior QB.  It's no wonder that fucking generation is what it is.

Having said that, this douche talks and talks and talks the shit, but gotdamn if he doesnt back it up.  All the kid did was win and win and win after every bit of shit he talked.  You would hate your daughter dating this mofo, but at the same time, you would know that more than likely whatever he says he can/will do, he'll probably get it done.

He's the QB you want to see get smashed every fucking play until he cries, but it never happens, unfortunately.

I pretty much agree with this and I actually found myself kind of pulling for him in the end. He is cocky as hell but didn’t have family to keep him in check and he backed up at the highest level. I hope it works out for him.