Tathan (Tate) Martell in the Portal

Horn Under a Bad Sign

9 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Who ever thought that?

Let me explain. Many of us can’t wait until pampered high school boys finally sign their LOI, thinking they will be transformed into men once the coaches and veterans get a piece of them. An Off-season Transfer Portal Combine would give the Tate Martells of the world another stage, and that would be really unattractive for college men.

If I misinterpreted you as thinking this would be awesome, please accept my apology. 

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2019/01/101777/tate-martell-considered-transfer-before-the-2018-season-attorney-says-coaching-turnover-played-a-major-role

He was close to leaving last Summer and even skipped the 1st day of camp.

And he was on schedule to graduate this spring. Stay 1 more semester, compete in spring ball and decide then. Graduate, leave and don't hafta sit out, if leaving is your choice.

This guy. Seems kinda douchy.

fb52878bf10432858fd258ce0564d348.jpg

And he was on schedule to graduate this spring

Reports are that this information is false and that he's nowhere near graduating.  If he had been on track to graduate this would be the dumbest transfer in history as he'd be eligible to play immediately as a graduate with no hoops to jump through.  Additionally, he could have let the quarterback battle play out in spring practice with a chance to win the job.

He's just a very immature kid.

15 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Article on Tate's immediate availability transfer request.... Author says that if granted "go ahead and burn the whole system down"

http://footballscoop.com/news/tate-martells-wavier-gets-granted-go-ahead-burn-whole-system/

I’m not a lawyer and I’m not employed by the NCAA to evaluate transfer waivers, so I can’t definitely answer that question. But what I can do is consult with an important witness in this case. That person is Tate Martell.

dude ain't much of a writer none either.

Article on why he transferred: https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Article/Tate-Martell-why-transfer-Ohio-State-Buckeyes-football-Miami-Hurricanes-128082234/

There was some head scratching when former Ohio State quarterback Tate Martell's name appeared in the NCAA transfer portal on Jan. 10. Less than two weeks before, Martell told reporters at the Rose Bowl's media day that he was "100 percent" confident he would be the Buckeyes' starting quarterback in 2019. Then Justin Fields, a former five-star prospect and the country's No. 2 recruit in the 2018 class, transferred to the Scarlet and Gray. On Jan. 14, Martell announced he was transferring to Miami.

The assumption by many was that Martell went back on his word that he didn't fear competition and believed he would win the job and instead essentially conceded the competition to Fields. But what if that isn't the case?

Like Fields, and many college football players in recent years who elect to transfer before they graduate, Martell hired a lawyer to assist in his appeal to the NCAA to make him eligible immediately for the Hurricanes. That attorney, Travis Leach, recently spoke with The Toledo Blade about his upcoming attempt to get Martell the NCAA waiver and his quotes give some insight into the quarterback's thoughts through the transfer process.

Here is what Leach said to The Blade:

“That definitely is part of it,” Leach told The Blade when asked about the coaching staff. “You try to throw as much against the wall as you can. I think the fact that there were some circumstances that happened, some personality clashes at the school — we want to be fair to everyone involved. That’s the approach we’re going to go down.”

“You try and align the facts as best you can,” Leach said. “Each one of these cases is a little bit different. You look at what are the reasons for the transfer, what happened, why didn’t it work, and then can you take those reasons and does it meet the NCAA’s requirements for a waiver? I think we have a couple opportunities.

“There were some things that happened at Ohio State that we can potentially get some relief from the NCAA, and we’re going to try it that way. The coaching staff turnover is an issue. There are a few things. There’s no real bright-line test that tells you 100 percent how you can get a waiver. This is a tough one, but there are some good facts on his side.”

“If the NCAA is really looking to do what’s in the best interest of the kids, I feel pretty comfortable with a waiver — if you look at it purely through that lens,” Leach said. “We have good facts, but we want to do it the right way. We want it to be fair to everybody. It’s just a situation that didn’t work out. We don’t want to be negative.”

What is clear from these quotes is that the change from Urban Meyer as head coach to Ryan Day played a factor in Martell's decision. While Day was Martell's offensive coordinator and quarterback coach for each of his two years at Ohio State, Meyer was the boss. The offense was always going to be Meyer's, which meant a mobile quarterback, as Martell is, was always preferred.

Day prefers a different type of quarterback, it seems. Dwayne Haskins just rewrote the Big Ten and Buckeye single-season passing record books as a player that preferred to stay in the pocket and throw the ball down the field. Fields, while mobile, has the arm and ability to do similar things as Haskins. Redshirt freshman Matthew Baldwin has talked about preferring to stay in the pocket and find his weapons. Jack Miller, Ohio State's 2020 quarterback commit, is in the pro-style mold as well. Mike Yurcich, who Day hired to be his new passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach, has historically developed pass-first quarterbacks.

So the style of the offense, and what will be asked of the quarterback, will be different under Day and Martell did not feel he fit with that system.

Leach also said that "there were some things that happened at Ohio State" and that it was "a situation that didn't work out" but they "don't want to be negative." This is intentionally vague, meaning there were things that happened toward the end of Martell's time with the Buckeyes that didn't sit well. Could it be that Martell did not like what he was told about the upcoming quarterback competition? It's tough to say for certain.

Given how Martell's transfer occurred, there will always be speculation of what went down at Ohio State. Unless Martell or one of the Buckeye offensive coaches decides to address the issue, which is unlikely, we can speculate, using what Leach said, as to why the former four-star quarterback will be hoping to compete at Miami in 2019 instead of battling with Fields for the Scarlet and Gray's quarterback job.

Edited by Machinator

On 1/21/2019 at 9:45 PM, markstanco said:
On 1/16/2019 at 7:07 PM, tjhooker said:
I watched that Netflix series called QB1 I think.  Dude is a complete douche bag. 

Watching E4 right now. Fromm is a cool dude. Other qb that went to wake is really likeable. Tate is a total douche.

Wake kid is a total stud.  I don't know if he'll ever get a chance beyond college to play, but he'll succeed in whatever he decides to do.  He was the best example for young kids on how to be a leader on that show.

Fromm is fine, his parents (mom) were typical enabling coat tail riders.  Not a fan of those types.  Teach your kid, support your kid, don't kiss his fucking ass.

Tate was the perfect fucking villain.  I kind of doubt they'll ever replicate that season in so far as how much you could really like one kid and hate another.  I found myself wanting him to fail so badly, because he kept talking shit the whole time.  I wanted him to have to eat shit, but damn if that fucker didn't back it all up, and then some.  Joe Rogan was the perfect piece of shit dick coach as well.

So the black kid who had to work for basically everything he wanted to achieve turned out to be a better all around individual than the two white kids who had everything handed to them.

Imagine that.

• 3 weeks later...

New article.....

"Tate Martell could break college football's transfer system"

By CHRIS HUMMER Feb 11, 9:50 AM

https://247sports.com/Article/Tate-Martell-transfer-waiver-breakdown-change-NCAA-transfer-system-128973860/

Publicly, it’s presumed Martell will challenge for immediate eligibility citing Ohio State’s sudden coaching change from Urban Meyer to Ryan Day. Martell’s lawyer, Travis Leach, has said as much. But Martell’s waiver will have more layers than that. You should fully expect Martell to cite a number ofprevious precedents in his appeal, including potential “egregious behavior” by Ohio State or the more recent modification to the wavier guidelines that allows an athlete to cite "documented mitigating circumstances that are outside thestudent-athlete's control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete." Fifty-one of 64 NCAA players who appealed for immediate eligibility since that modification saw their waivers approved, per the most recent NCAA data. 

One does not need much mental exercise to connect potential “mitigating circumstances” for Martell to Ohio State’s offseason issues with Urban Meyer and Zach Smith. CBS Sports previously reported Martell considered using those program transgressions as a reasoning for transfer prior tothe season; one might surmise that was a leak by Martell's camp to show Martell considered transferring before Fields arrived.

“There were some things that happened at Ohio State that we can potentially get some relief from the NCAA, and we’re going to try it that way,” Leach told the Toledo Blade. “The coaching staff turnover is an issue. There are a few things. There’s no real bright-line test that tells you 100 percent how you can get a waiver. This is a tough one, but there are some good facts on his side.

Edited by LTtxfan

On 1/21/2019 at 2:40 PM, SwanderedTalent said:

kinda funny, Ohio State fans just now deciding Tate Martell is a douche

Everyone knows that he is a douche. However, I will always be willing to buy him a beer for setting fire to the aggy recruiting class back in the day.

New article.....
"Tate Martell could break college football's transfer system"
By CHRIS HUMMER Feb 11, 9:50 AM
https://247sports.com/Article/Tate-Martell-transfer-waiver-breakdown-change-NCAA-transfer-system-128973860/
Publicly, it’s presumed Martell will challenge for immediate eligibility citing Ohio State’s sudden coaching change from Urban Meyer to Ryan Day. Martell’s lawyer, Travis Leach, has said as much. But Martell’s waiver will have more layers than that. You should fully expect Martell to cite a number ofprevious precedents in his appeal, including potential “egregious behavior” by Ohio State or the more recent modification to the wavier guidelines that allows an athlete to cite "documented mitigating circumstances that are outside thestudent-athlete's control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete." Fifty-one of 64 NCAA players who appealed for immediate eligibility since that modification saw their waivers approved, per the most recent NCAA data. 
One does not need much mental exercise to connect potential “mitigating circumstances” for Martell to Ohio State’s offseason issues with Urban Meyer and Zach Smith. CBS Sports previously reported Martell considered using those program transgressions as a reasoning for transfer prior tothe season; one might surmise that was a leak by Martell's camp to show Martell considered transferring before Fields arrived.
“There were some things that happened at Ohio State that we can potentially get some relief from the NCAA, and we’re going to try it that way,” Leach told the Toledo Blade. “The coaching staff turnover is an issue. There are a few things. There’s no real bright-line test that tells you 100 percent how you can get a waiver. This is a tough one, but there are some good facts on his side.
More dildo's. Great.

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

I don't understand how Tate got the waiver.  Seems like we now have total free agency.

Same. This was clearly a routine case of a kid transferring and needing to sit out a year. 

All he had to do was finish his 2nd semester, graduate, and then transfer in the summer. Perhaps the fact that he could transfer without restrictions before the following season is why they allowed it, but it is ridiculous.  

10 minutes ago, Matuka said:

So maybe good news for Bru?

Yes, it would appear so.

Ncaa continues to screw up what once was the greatest sport on the planet. They let rampant cheating go unchecked in the sec. They punish so weakly that it deters no one. Might as well bring full free agency and chaos to the sport to completely destroy fan following of school stars. Eff it.

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Ncaa continues to screw up what once was the greatest sport on the planet. They let rampant cheating go unchecked in the sec. They punish so weakly that it deters no one. Might as well bring full free agency and chaos to the sport to completely destroy fan following of school stars. Eff it.

When was rampant cheating not an issue?

Also, Miami will be more fun to watch this year.  Why does that make the sport less enjoyable?

It could eventually go haywire, but at the current moment, what school is left miserable due to these transfers?  Georgia didn't play Fields.  Martell wasn't going to start at Ohio State.  Hurts would never start for Bama again.  USC losing Bru hurts them, but most of their fanbase is to the point where they understand his decision because they're ready for a new coach.

It just seems like a victim-less crime... except it's not a crime.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fellside said:

Also, Miami will be more fun to watch this year.  Why does that make the sport less enjoyable?

It could eventually go haywire, but at the current moment, what school is left miserable due to these transfers?  Georgia didn't play Fields.  Martell wasn't going to start at Ohio State.  Hurts would never start for Bama again.  USC losing Bru hurts them, but most of their fanbase is to the point where they understand his decision because they're ready for a new coach.

So tater tot will have a chance to beat Clemson when aggy couldn’t? In.

13 hours ago, fellside said:

Agree.  This hurts the lower tier schools that land the un recruited gem.  I see it going haywire for them if those guys are free to transfer to start immediately at bigger programs, but who cares?  Non P5 programs have already been relegated out of playoff discussion and transfers among big programs is zero sum. 

3 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Ohio State supported his application for immediate eligibility which probably helps.  Doubt Texas gets that from USC 

Kinda hard for suckeyes not to support it since they were seeking immediate eligibility for Fields at the same time......

4 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Agree.  This hurts the lower tier schools that land the un recruited gem.  I see it going haywire for them if those guys are free to transfer to start immediately at bigger programs, but who cares?  Non P5 programs have already been relegated out of playoff discussion and transfers among big programs is zero sum. 

Can you give examples of an unrecruited gem that transfered from a lower tier school to a bigger program?   Grad transfers sure, but regular transfer?

22 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Can you give examples of an unrecruited gem that transfered from a lower tier school to a bigger program?   Grad transfers sure, but regular transfer?

That's my hypothesis for the future since the portal and NCAA granting immediate eligibility is new. 

It’s important to know that Tate Martell’s attorney, the Phoenix-based Travis Leach, does not believe his client’s waiver will open the floodgates to full-on college football free agency. Of course, if a broken Humpty Dumpty was discovered splayed on the ground and you happened to be a lawyer, it’d be your job to assure the townspeople those are not your client’s fingerprints on his back.

Still, Leach believes there are specifics to this case that will keep the floodgates closed. Specifically, that Ohio State made no effort to keep Martell after Justin Fields arrived in early January.

“This was a fact and circumstances case,” Leach told the Miami Herald. “I don’t think this is something you will see a wholesale change to the way people look at [NCAA transfer cases]. It was a unique situation.”

Additionally, a Miami source told the Herald that Ohio State made no effort to keep Martell once he notified Buckeyes coaches of his desire to leave.

Of course, that may not make Martell’s case that unique. According to a January Associated Press study, 50 of the 63 applicants (79 percent) have been granted waivers since the Division I Council passed its new guidelines last April.

But the uniqueness of Martell’s case isn’t the point. In fact, it’s the opposite. If a player is recruited over by a new coaching staff, he’d like to leave and his departing school doesn’t contest his departure, well, who is it hurting if Martell is immediately eligible? If Ohio State doesn’t care if Martell plays for Miami in 2019, and the NCAA doesn’t care, why should we? Who, exactly, is hurt by this decision?

One group that’s hurt is all the former Tate Martells who were recruited over at their original schools but had to sit out a year anyway. And, sure, that group may have a legitimate gripe, but there’s nothing to be done for them at this point regardless. Even before last April, the NCAA had liberalized its transfer rules in the years leading up to most recent, loosest change — unless you think it’s a coincidence that so many players happened to have sick relatives in the general vicinity of a depth chart opening.

Another group that’s hurt by the transfer loophole is coaches, and their argument has, arguably, the most merit. Even as public sympathy switches from coaches in favor of players, coaches still have a job to do. There are only so many carries, passes and snaps to go around, and they’re the ones that have to decide who gets them and who doesn’t. These are inarguable facts of sports. Such decisions are going to leave some happy and others not, and amid all that coaches have to build a culture and a team among their group of players, some of whom are always going to be happier with their lot in life than others. Again, I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know.

Given all that, it would be immensely more difficult if every player on their roster had to be re-recruited at all times. And if the only thing standing between a typical undergraduate back-up and immediate eligibility elsewhere was the objection of their current school, it would tip the scales dramatically in favor of the players.

Perhaps you, beloved reader, are ready for that. The bulk of coaches most certainly are not, and the Powers That Be writing the rules of the NCAA don’t appear to be either, given the Valentine’s Day announcement that the organization would take another look at latching the door they opened last April.

I remember several years ago when Tate first popped up on the radar at ToS someone posted pics of her but it turned out that she had just turned 16. That died out really fast.

Koopa must have been keeping a countdown running over the past several years.

6 minutes ago, markstanco said:
On 3/19/2019 at 8:21 PM, OrangEngr said:
So tater tot will have a chance to beat Clemson when aggy couldn’t? In.

A chance because they play them?

My bad, of all the conferences, the ACCs divisions are the least intuitive. Or maybe I was calling my shot on Miami winning the coastal. Ask me again in late November