Houston livestock show and rodeo

htownjd

Went for my first time last night with the gf to see Luke Bryan. The show waz actually pretty damn good. I got some mediocre bbq and both of us got pretty hammered. She kept whispering in my ear that she was going to do dirty things to me when we got back to the hotel, and she delivered. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, relapse98 said:

Having watched the lines of traffic that went on for hours and the accidents.. I feel we were much safer walking the .5 miles back to the hotel.

this right here. even lines for cabs/uber are hours long. Crowne Plaza is just across the street and there's a Holiday Inn next to the north parking lot.

On 2/4/2019 at 8:48 PM, tejas60 said:

if it's still the same as a few years ago (I usually have a hotel near NRG because of this), you have to wait in line after the show for Uber/Lyft/cabs. which sucks dick. 

light rail is much easier and you get to see the drunk bitches make fools of themselves.

There was only one drunk bitch on our way back on the rail...

On 3/1/2019 at 8:38 AM, tejas60 said:

this right here. even lines for cabs/uber are hours long. Crowne Plaza is just across the street and there's a Holiday Inn next to the north parking lot.

Kept debating whether to Uber or take the train, both of which presented issues. Finally just got a town car service. Drop off just across Kirby from the front of NRG, pickup on Kirby. Very fast and easy.

• 1 year later...

Bump. 

Not a great lineup this year, and I say that as a proud Houston Rodeo member/committeeman. I’ll see Maren Morris on Saturday, and we’ll see where it goes from there. If they’re going to bring in acts like Cardi B, Lizzo, and Chance the Rapper, they should back the Brinks truck up for Post Malone. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 hours ago, DoobieWah said:

So Austin cancelled SXSW but the HLSR goes on. 

My wife works for HLSR.  Deals with stock contractor, contestants, judges and timers.  She's there at 8 am and home at midnight.  Erryday for 3 weeks.  

I guess I'm gonna soon get the bug.  Nice knowing you buncha meatheads. 

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I'm going to Stapleton. Work downtown. Will probably take the rail there and back to avoid the parking/leaving shit show.

I don't know why the word "probably" is mentioned. You are downtown. Take the rail.

On 3/7/2020 at 12:59 AM, tx 3 putt said:

Damn chance the rapper was pretty damn good tonight 

Saw that he was performing. A lot has changed since I was in high school, which was the last time I went.  We saw Charlie Rich and other good old country boys. There would have been a riot if rap music was on the docket. But then I'm old. 

Chance the Rapper was really good.  I had no idea what to expect.  Kid wanted to go so off we went.  Really enjoyed it.  I Was surprised it wasn't that crowded.  The carnival wasn't that packed, and the show was crowded but nothing overwhelming.  easily found parking nearby, easy to get out off there.  took all of 8 minutes to get home.  

• 7 months later...

Announced that 2021 won't be doing any concerts ... but will still try and do the Junior show type things.

"To ensure the rodeo will safely host a livestock show competition and follow the health and safety guidelines, the show will mainly focus on the Junior Show and select Youth Show events, foregoing its mostly adult-focused Open Show, according to a release."

I think it’s too early to announce anything, but here we are. Rodeo shifts will be interesting. I guess they’ll whack it down from 4 required shifts to 2-3. Rookies will probably have to work 4 instead of 5.Regardless it’s going to be a slow show with a lot of standing around. 

Texas Football has been a shit show for a decade. Volunteering at HLSR is a great way to throw yourself into something that isn’t football. Rodeo Season is a blast. More fun than Football Season in my opinion. I’d encourage every Texas Ex and Texas fan living in Greater Houston to volunteer and join a committee. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

• 2 months later...