Houston livestock show and rodeo

htownjd

2 minutes ago, Spoetzl said:

Wasn’t cancelled because of the city/county.

From the press release : 

Several factors contributed to the decision, from a community health and safety perspective, as well as a financial one. Above all, the health and safety of the community is the Rodeo’s top priority, and after much consultation with local and state officials and medical experts, Rodeo officials concluded that cancelling the 2021 event was the right decision, with community health at the forefront of the decision. “

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

2021 already picking up where 2020 left off... Was so looking forward to a May HLSR.

I guess they don't think people will be getting their vaccines on the timelines they have put out there.

There aren't going to be any full football stadiums this fall either.  This reaction to covid isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I don't want this thread to get sent to the Cloak Room, but I think the decision to cancel the General Show in May was premature. 

NRG Stadium hosted 8 Texans home games this year. They have also hosted Motor Cross and Monster Jam events almost every weekend in this new year. Many outdoor venues in Houston have remained open. White Oak Music Hall is a good example. If there's a capacity limit on the Kemah Boardwalk or Pleasure Pier, Galveston County has shown zero interest in enforcing it. 

Houston bars are packed with young people without masks. The City and TABC have demonstrated a very half assed effort to enforce their own rules. 

Others upthread mentioned the sponsors pulling out. If this happened, then I agree, you have to pull the plug. No sponsors = no concerts and it's all downhill from there. 

It's not my chosen line of work, but many people do rely on the rodeo for a large chunk of their income. Fairground and carnival vendors. I'm sure a even more NRG contractors and employees will be given their walking papers. 

I hope the ranchers are making due selling their animals via smaller in person auctions and online. 

It sucks as a committeeman because this will further restrict our ability to gather, even outdoors. I'll work my shifts in March and have nothing celebrate in May.

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Horse

Good for you man. Judging by their rigs at the horse lot, those folks have some serious money. My mentee at work used her Calf Scramble money to pay for some of law school. It’s a huge help for kids from small towns. 

There will be a Junior Show in March and an auction in May. I’ll chip in for a steer at the auction. 

On 2/4/2021 at 6:10 AM, Lat22 said:

There aren't going to be any full football stadiums this fall either.  This reaction to covid isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I disagree. Assuming the vaccines are effective, we'll have football in the fall. I think even the rodeo would have been doable if it was a popup but I think there just isn't going to be enough time for the planning required to pull off that massive event. At this point, I'm pretty sure the logistics were unpredictable. Better to cancel now and be ready for next year than have another clusterf like last year. 

I could be wrong. It happened once before. 😉

• 4 weeks later...

There's some smoke out there that a big announcement is coming soon. I don't understand the need for secrecy, but the previous "big announcement" was Calf Scramble in April, outside of Harris County.

Could be something, could be nothing. I'm really not sure what I'm hoping for at this point. A crawfish boil or a steak dinner would be nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Junior Show Post Mortem: 

- The exhibitors as always were awesome. Not one issue with adhering to the City of Houston’s ridiculous rules. They were just as happy to get out of the house as I was. Salt of the earth. 
- I don’t mind wearing a gaiter, helps with the smell and the dust. I’ll probably wear one next year. 
- This past Friday night was a lot of fun. Not your normal tent night, but pretty good. 
- The kids were able to have a somewhat normal show. They crowned a grand champion and a reserve champion. Hopefully they make some money in May.

• 3 weeks later...

They had a few calf scrambles today. 

The Wine Garden will be open on weekends in May for volunteers and their guests. 

I’m glad to see things returning to normal. Hopefully we have a great show next year to celebrate the 90th Anniversary of the HLSR. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wine Garden starts this Friday. 

Cliffs: 

- Dates : 5/7/21 - 5/9/21, 5/14/21 - 5/16/21, and 5/21/21 - 5/23/21. 2 pm to midnight on Fridays. Noon to midnight on Saturdays. Noon to 10 pm on Sundays. 

- Glasses of wine range from $6-10. Bottles from $26 to $46. $4 beers. 

- Looks like there will be live music acts throughout. 

- Food vendors : James Coney Island, El P(atio), Tommy G's Pizza, Yoakum Packing Co., and Berg Hospitality Group. 

- Parking in Lot 11/Red Lot off of Kirby. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Non-volunteers can buy tickets now. I would suggest attaching blue or yellow parking tags to your ticket. 

I will warn y'all it's a 45-60 minute show. Anybody expecting a 3 hour Springteen marathon will be disappointed. The King, George Strait will play the longest show show of your life if the crowd is in it. 

On 1/5/2022 at 7:54 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

HSLR performers announced tonight: https://www.rodeohouston.com/Visit-the-Rodeo/Music-Concerts/Concert-Lineup

To be quite honest, I think the San Antonio Rodeo has a better performer lineup: https://www.sarodeo.com/p/rodeo/rodeoconcerts

I got no further than the first name /sooner on the SA lineup and ruling against you and in favor of Houston 

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good show thus far. The concerts have been meh, but there’s been some huge crowds. I believe there was 3 Straight sell outs last week. I didn’t want to like the “new” Journey, but they did rock. 

There’s been some good numbers at the livestock auctions as well. 

Good to see things are getting back to normal. 

• Like 1

Apparently Journey was quite the show with the crowd really into it.  Also, and according to lots of folks at the rodeo and working for the rodeo, For King & Country absolutely crushed it.  

I went last night.  No clue who Sam Hunt is.  Went to show with customers and beige the start I hung out with wife’s rodeo crowd (actual rodeo production) and some of the athletes.    That is a hard working bunch.  Long hours and lots of miles.  

The little ones are always show so much promise.  

1CB3BC77-DFD7-4F5C-B93B-39BE047FF317.jpeg

F581D945-EFD5-4F21-9326-448C87B595D6.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/4/2022 at 9:42 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m not into watching many rodeo events, but I want to see Hailey Kinsel and her horse Sister in person. Basically the Tiger Woods of barrel racing. 

The new “Tiger Woods” of bareback is Rocker Steiner.   He’s gonna have the rodeo world in the palm of his hand. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Apparently Journey was quite the show with the crowd really into it.  Also, and according to lots of folks at the rodeo and working for the rodeo, For King & Country absolutely crushed it.  

I went last night.  No clue who Sam Hunt is.  Went to show with customers and beige the start I hung out with wife’s rodeo crowd (actual rodeo production) and some of the athletes.    That is a hard working bunch.  Long hours and lots of miles.  

The little ones are always show so much promise.  

1CB3BC77-DFD7-4F5C-B93B-39BE047FF317.jpeg

F581D945-EFD5-4F21-9326-448C87B595D6.jpeg

I visited NRG Arena, aka the horse arena, for the first time this year. The Stockman’s Club is pretty solid, and auctions in the Pavillon have been fun. It’s been very cool to see a different side of HSLR. 

Your foals look great deadshank. Best of luck to you sir. 

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I visited NRG Arena, aka the horse arena, for the first time this year. The Stockman’s Club is pretty solid, and auctions in the Pavillon have been fun. It’s been very cool to see a different side of HSLR. 

Your foals look great deadshank. Best of luck to you sir. 

The off beaten path stuff at the rodeo is quite interesting.   

Those horses aren’t mine.  They are Cervi horses waiting to go out and buck.  The pic is from under the seats inside the north entry to NRG.  When you see all the horses come out toward the end of the show these are the little ones in the group.  They go on the road with the working mothers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, deadshank said:

The off beaten path stuff at the rodeo is quite interesting.   

Those horses aren’t mine.  They are Cervi horses waiting to go out and buck.  The pic is from under the seats inside the north entry to NRG.  When you see all the horses come out toward the end of the show these are the little ones in the group.  They go on the road with the working mothers. 

The Born to Buck group right? 

I was at the show last night as well. I was a little pissed off I got rained on to see Sam Hunt, but my wife had fun. At the end of the day, that’s what matters. 

HSLR wants asses in seats. Period. Bro country does that for them. Most of Surly would rather see REK, Shane Smith, Miranda Lambert, Kasey Musgraves to just name a few, but we don’t buy enough tickets. 

To their credit, REK opened for George Strait in 2019, and Kasey Musgraves put on one of the best shows I’ve ever seen in NRG also in 2019. 

5 minutes ago, huge said:

Stapleton on St Patricks Day should be rowdy

Can’t wait. Have an early reservation at The Ranch before the show. Ate there before the Maren Morris show last week and while it’s nothing mind blowing — just items off of Benjamin Berg’s menus around town — the atmosphere is really fun and lively. 

On 2/4/2022 at 9:42 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m not into watching many rodeo events, but I want to see Hailey Kinsel and her horse Sister in person. Basically the Tiger Woods of barrel racing. 

Saw her win the whole thing in San Antonio. Cotulla holla!