Poona Ford

Machinator

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Gotta say, with Dicko and Poona, this draft makes me want to like the Seahawks

I'm a longtime Seahawks fan and Texas alum.  Lets just say, I have excitement and am getting drunk tonight in honor 😉  

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Gotta say, with Dicko and Poona, this draft makes me want to like the Seahawks

Add in Griffin and they got rid of the loudmouth assholes and I'll be pulling for them. Want to see Dickson pinning Keenum's goofy ass inside the 10 all game in week 1 and showing Elway's frustrated fat horse face in the box. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

The Home of the 12th Man (the real 12th Man) is becoming the home of the Longhorns in the NFL? 

That's my hope, but admittedly, I'm bias...

The 12 man and hating atm is a bonus.  

Can't wait for next season.   

Edited by SDG

14 hours ago, Napoleon said:

The Seahawks are really making it difficult to keep hating them.

Poona, Dickson, Swoopes, Earl Thomas (for now) and Shaquem Griffin...

It's really difficult to pull against them at the moment.

Truth. 

But you can cheer for them to struggle offensively so the punter can play more. 

12 hours ago, Artificial Iverson said:

his story resembles that of Larry  Dibbles who was really talented by too small for college. I think Poona has a better shot and wish him the best, at the least a few years on the practice squad which pays surprisingly well. 

I was thinking Roy Miller, and his ability to stick around after not being drafted. Tampa signed him if I recall. 

10 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I was thinking Roy Miller, and his ability to stick around after not being drafted. Tampa signed him if I recall. 

10 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

? He was a 3rd round pick

10 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Well shit. Wrong guy. 

You're thinking Rod Wright.

15 hours ago, ousux said:

Pete Caroll makes it really hard for me to hate on him sometimes..

I had no hate for him when he was at USC. I certainly don't now. I may not have been his biggest fan in 2005, but I couldn't hate him. He was always a player's coach.

I'm glad he sees the value in players from Texas.

1 hour ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I had no hate for him when he was at USC. I certainly don't now. I may not have been his biggest fan in 2005, but I couldn't hate him. He was always a player's coach.

Aside from the fact that he was a cheatin' SOB, yeah he's a swell guy.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2018 at 7:51 AM, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

On 4/30/2018 at 9:38 AM, TrashMaster G said:

Aside from the fact that he was a cheatin' SOB, yeah he's a swell guy.

Pete was running the dirtiest program outside of the Penn State locker room.

There were stories touting the number of agents in the Trojan locker room due to all the talent on the roster. Rather than that instigating an immediate investigation, it was seen as a testament to Pete's recruiting & player development prowess.

NOTE: "Three-Pete" has ZERO crystal footballs in USC's trophy cases from his time in Troy.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/5/3/17315016/seahawks-udfa-signing-poona-ford-has-in-common-russell-wilson-height

How decent of a chance does Ford have of accomplishing that business in Seattle? It’s undoubtedly an uphill battle, regardless if he had been picked in round five or undrafted as he was. Last season, the Seahawks held onto four defensive tackles at a time: Reed, Sheldon Richardson, and Nazair Jones, then usually Garrison Smith but sometimes Rodney Coe. Even if Malik McDowell doesn’t get injured, then they likely don’t trade for Richardson, and still keep four defensive tackles.

How many spots are projected to be open on the inside of Seattle’s defensive line?

Reed and Jones return, while Tom Johnson and Shamar Stephen were signed in free agency. The Seahawks currently list Quinton Jefferson as a defensive tackle, so that gives them five plus McDowell. One could also argue that third round pick Rasheem Green is going to settle into a defensive tackle spot, though he likely would not have much of an impact there in 2018. Ford certainly seems capable of at least contributing as a run-stopper in the middle as of right now.

It may still be difficult for him to win a job without an injury.

Reed and Jones are presumed as locked in, while Johnson and Stephen have a slight advantage of guaranteed money. It’s not terribly much, but the Seahawks would have $900,000 in dead money with $1.2 million saved if they release Johnson, and $1 million dead/$1.08 million saved if Stephen is let go. They also bring a certain amount of veteran liability and experience: you know what you’re likely going to get from them and they have a combined 11 seasons worth of practices, games, and so on.

If they keep four defensive tackles again, and if Reed, Jones are healthy, Ford may need to force Pete Carroll’s hand in trusting him over Johnson or Stephen, and that’s only presuming that McDowell is still out of the picture, Green is playing on the edge, and Jefferson hasn’t beaten him out for a defensive tackle spot either.

But certainly Ford hasn’t gotten to this point without doing what others did not expect him to do. It’s almost the same storyline as Russell Wilson.

1 minute ago, Longboard Horn said:

Really hoping someone picks him up. I still think it’s absolute bullshit that he didn’t get a combine invite. 

The combine seems to be a popularity contest nowadays.

He's on the Seahawks right now. Did you not read any of the above thread?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It was retarded that he wasn’t at the combine and went undrafted. probably a selling point for those that want to negatively recruit UT or big 12. 

If enough of these Texas guys show out that are later round draft picks, or undrafted in Poona’s case, that stigma and bias should be gone by the time this 2018 recruiting class is ready for the draft.

More on Poona;  I think he'll make the final roster.  

Ford is just 5 feet 11 but runs much better than a 310-pound defensive tackle should. That showed up on consecutive plays against the starting offense. He burst through the gap between Fluker and Ifedi and ripped the helmet off Davis’ head to stop the running back’s sweep in the backfield before it ever got started. On the next play, Ford ran through traffic and tackled McKissic from behind to stop the screen pass for no gain.

Every summer there is an undrafted rookie or two who make Carroll’s Seahawks, and then contribute during the season. For years, Seattle has led the NFL or been at the top of the league in undrafted free agents on the roster.

Saturday, Ford looked like he had potential to be the next one, on a defense that was wearing its Shrek-green jerseys as it usually does in the annual mock game.

“He’s really active,” Carroll said. “He’s got his own little way about him. You know, he’s not very tall, but he’s got good length. He utilizes his leverage. He’s a very instinctive kid. And he’s got quickness for the nose-tackle spot that allows him to penetrate; you’ve already seen that a number of times. 

“He’s done well. He’s done very well.”

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article216113400.html

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

It was retarded that he wasn’t at the combine and went undrafted. probably a selling point for those that want to negatively recruit UT or big 12. 

If enough of these Texas guys show out that are later round draft picks, or undrafted in Poona’s case, that stigma and bias should be gone by the time this 2018 recruiting class is ready for the draft.

But the nfl pretty much sucks ass at scouting. They dont watch college football games and draft largely on measurables. Hence the reason most NFL teams cant keep their shit together, season to season

Its the only pro sports league that squanders insane talent by using antiquated philosophies and nepotism

• Like 1