Poona Ford

Machinator

30 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

But the nfl pretty much sucks ass at scouting. They dont watch college football games and draft largely on measurables. Hence the reason most NFL teams cant keep their shit together, season to season

Its the only pro sports league that squanders insane talent by using antiquated philosophies and nepotism

The idea that NFL scouts don't actually watch games is laughable. Obviously, there are noticeable ineffiencies in the draft process, but on the macro scale, they do alright.

arthur-draftanalysis-2-corrected.png?w=5

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The idea that NFL scouts don't actually watch games is laughable. Obviously, there are noticeable ineffiencies in the draft process, but on the macro scale, they do alright.

arthur-draftanalysis-2-corrected.png?w=5

I would rather see the draft positions of starters on all the playoff teams. Scheme might have as much to do with why one player makes All-Pro over another at any given position. Show me how the winning teams stack their starting 22 with early round draft picks and I'll be sold.

9 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

I would rather see the draft positions of starters on all the playoff teams. Scheme might have as much to do with why one player makes All-Pro over another at any given position. Show me how the winning teams stack their starting 22 with early round draft picks and I'll be sold.

The salary cap and the nature of the sport dicates that you cannot "stack" a team with early round picks, because you can't afford to pay them all after a couple years. But of the four All-Pro players on the Eagles this year, three were first rounders: Wentz, Fletcher Cox, and Lane Johnson. Kelce was a Day 3 pick. The Patriots had Tom Brady, one of the biggest outliers of all time, and Gronkowski, who was a first round talent who fell because of legitimate injury concerns, and even then he was a second-round pick.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

The salary cap and the nature of the sport dicates that you cannot "stack" a team with early round picks, because you can't afford to pay them all after a couple years. But of the four All-Pro players on the Eagles this year, three were first rounders: Wentz, Fletcher Cox, and Lane Johnson. Kelce was a Day 3 pick. The Patriots had Tom Brady, one of the biggest outliers of all time, and Gronkowski, who was a first round talent who fell because of legitimate injury concerns, and even then he was a second-round pick.

But you aren't really building a successful team around one year's draft. Most teams should be able to build a starting 22 from mostly early round picks (or trades to get other teams' early rounders) over a 5 year period. Is that the case or is it that the better teams are better at picking players in all rounds, not just getting one can't-miss stud in the lottery and then drafting JAGs? That is where the aggregate is potentially more interesting than focusing just on an few outliers like Brady.

3 hours ago, Enchubben said:

It was retarded that he wasn’t at the combine and went undrafted. probably a selling point for those that want to negatively recruit UT or big 12. 

If enough of these Texas guys show out that are later round draft picks, or undrafted in Poona’s case, that stigma and bias should be gone by the time this 2018 recruiting class is ready for the draft.

Holton Hill too. Slightly different story (smoking the tweeds) but still went undrafted and should make the 53.

arthur-draftanalysis-2-corrected.png?w=575

So teams basically should trade away their fourth round pick every year.

I think I cheer for this guy more than any former player currently in the league. I stood next to him before a UT game 4 years ago and thought "oh boy, this guy is really kind of tiny for a DT", and then he went out and played his ass off, like he did every game. It's crazy. Seattle is pretty stacked at DT, but I hope they find a way to keep him.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2018 at 11:23 AM, closetojumping said:

I think I cheer for this guy more than any former player currently in the league. I stood next to him before a UT game 4 years ago and thought "oh boy, this guy is really kind of tiny for a DT", and then he went out and played his ass off, like he did every game. It's crazy. Seattle is pretty stacked at DT, but I hope they find a way to keep him.

Agree.... My favorite TEXAS player on 2017 Team.  Great at plugging middle up so LBs could hunt RBs and QBs to destroy........

Have a long healthy career PoooooooooooooNa !!

• Like 3