Biggest Academy award fuck ups

GhostOfTomJoad

You'll never convince me that Ordinary People/Robert Redford should've won best picture/director over Scorsese's Raging Bull. 

Almost as egregious would be Dancing With Wolves/Costner over Marty's Goodfellas, but the Academy will always go with a mile wide, inch deep epic over a film with a shit ton of (authentic) cuss words & violence.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Yeah, I'm gonna disagree with that (and take the heat). SPR is Spielberg serving both of his masters. The brilliant filming of the D-Day invasion in the first act resonates as does the the final attempt to defend the bridge, but the rest of the story could've been written on a bar napkin. 

Amd Shakespeare in Love holds up well.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Yeah, I'm gonna disagree with that (and take the heat). SPR is Spielberg serving both of his masters. The brilliant filming of the D-Day invasion in the first act resonates as does the the final attempt to defend the bridge, but the rest of the story could've been written on a bar napkin. 

At least you sort of know it's a terrible opinion....

A few of the top of my head.

Also in 98', Gwenth Paltrow for SSIL over Cate Blancett for Elizabeth.  98' was a Weinstein hijacking and the Academy should be shamed every single time it comes up.

93', Al Pacino for Scent of a Woman over Denzel Washington for Malcom X.  Love Al and it's a great role, but let's face it.... it was a makeup vote.

94', Forest Gump over Pulp Fiction.

73' Bob Fosse over Ford Coppola (The Godfather) as Best Director

44 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

You'll never convince me that Ordinary People/Robert Redford should've won best picture/director over Scorsese's Raging Bull. 

Almost as egregious would be Dancing With Wolves/Costner over Marty's Goodfellas, but the Academy will always go with a mile wide, inch deep epic over a film with a shit ton of (authentic) cuss words & violence.

I may like awakenings more than goodfellas and dancing with wolves

Hurtlocker over Avatar. I mean WTF did anyone see in that movie?  Oh it made subtle jabs at America invading Iraq? What a joke of a film. I know Avatar's story was dumb, but it's not like Hurtlocker was some drama for the ages. 

Spotlight over Mad Max. I know they love to make political statements with this stuff, but c'mon... Mad Max is the greatest action movie of the decade. It broke new ground!

King's Speech over anything else that year. What a garbage movie. There were 6 other movies more deserving of the award that year. 

Braveheart over Apollo 13 seems dumb in retrospect, but I wasn't old enough at the time to know if that one was valid. I watched Braveheart a few months ago, and it was OK, but Apollo 13 still gives me chills despite knowing how it ends. Great film, and it still holds up. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Russell Crowe (Gladiator) over Tom Hanks (Castaway).  Crowe's expression never changes during the whole movie while Hanks is the only one on screen and he keeps our attention for the duration.

were you not entertained?

• Like 1

I understand part of the Academy Awards is about driving people to the theater (or buy the movie) but someone should create a similar award but it takes place 5 years later.  Like sports halls of fame.    In 2019, you would presenting awards for films released in 2014.    Give the critics/voters time to fully evaluate a movie or performance.

It should also remove the make-up awards when the Academy realizes they made a previous mistake.  

Another problem that I have now is that I rarely go to the theater so the Academy Awards is about movies that I most likely have never seen.  So why watch.  Usually by 5 years, I've seen the good and/or critically acclaimed movies.   

* I'm not the the one to come up with this idea.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Hurtlocker over Avatar. I mean WTF did anyone see in that movie?  Oh it made subtle jabs at America invading Iraq? What a joke of a film. I know Avatar's story was dumb, but it's not like Hurtlocker was some drama for the ages. 

Spotlight over Mad Max. I know they love to make political statements with this stuff, but c'mon... Mad Max is the greatest action movie of the decade. It broke new ground!

King's Speech over anything else that year. What a garbage movie. There were 6 other movies more deserving of the award that year. 

Braveheart over Apollo 13 seems dumb in retrospect, but I wasn't old enough at the time to know if that one was valid. I watched Braveheart a few months ago, and it was OK, but Apollo 13 still gives me chills despite knowing how it ends. Great film, and it still holds up. 

Avatar is a movie for adults with special needs.  

11 hours ago, Red Five said:

Annie Hall over Star Wars.

I feel like you're making a joke here.   So I'm just going to laugh and move on. 

They fucked up the Best Actor in the mid 60's so bad, it took them 20 years to finally fix it.  

1965 - Lee Marvin (Cat Ballout) over Rod Steiger (The Pawnbroker)

1967 - To fix that, they gave Steiger the Oscar (In The Heat of the Night - one of my favorite movies) and screwed Paul Newman (Cool Hand Luke).  It's close at least, but they could have avoided the quandary by getting it right the year before.  

It took them until 1986 to finally give Newman as Oscar for The Color of Money.  Meh.  I'd rank that at the very bottom of all of his nominated performances, but the field was weak that year anyway,  You might be able to make an Argument for William Hurt in Children of a Lesser God, but they just gave him the Oscar the year before.  

They made a clusterfuck out of the Best Actor award throughout the  entire 60's.  

1963 - Poiter (Lillies of the Field) over Newman (Hud).  They probably fucked Newman in 1961 too.  

1964 - Rex Harrison (My Fair Lady) over literally every other nominee.    I'm thinking the Surl would vote for Peter Sellers for Dr Strangelove.  I'd agree

1966 - Paul Scofield over Richard Burton (Virginai Wolfe)

1968 - Cliff Roberton (Charley) over Peter O'Toole.  

1969- John Wayne over Hoffman .  Save it.  I don't care.  The Duke was a shitty actor.  This was a lifetime achievement award.   No wonder Hoffman was kind of jaded about the Oscars by the time he finally won one.  To lose for his performance of Ratso to an old dying legend doing the same schtick he'd done for 40+ years had to eat at him.  

What the fuck did the Academy have against Burton, Newman, and O'Toole?  

I think they got these correct at least

1960 - Burt Lancaster (Elmer Gentry) - It's a bit hammy, but I loved the movie so I'll let it slide.   Spencer Tracy (Inherit the Wind) was probably the closest, but his mantle was already stuffed.  

1961 - Max Schell for Judgement at Nuremberg.  Maybe could have gone with Paul Newman (The Hustler), but they probably figured there would be a lot of opportunities to honor Newman.  They were right, but they fucked all those up too.  

1962 - Peck.  To Kill a Mockingbird.  I think we're good here.  Peter O'Toole left on the sidelines for the first of 8 times.   

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Gonna have to disagree with you there champ.  I love Fury Road.  Saw it on opening day and went back to the theater the next day.  It's jaw droppingly good.

And Spotlight was better.  It's a movie about child sexual abuse that is actually re-watchable. It's nearly perfect film making.

I totally agree about Burton losing to Schofield in 1966.  A Man For All Seasons is a fine film, but it has not aged well against Virginia Woolf.  Luckily it was the end of Hollywoods obsession with slow moving english historical dramas.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Sean Penn for Mystic River over Bill Murray in Lost in Translation. Plus, Sean Penn is a dick.

He is a dick, but they probably got it right.  Maybe.  It was a toss up.  This was kind of an Anthony Hopkins for Silence of the Lambs over Nick Nolte For The Prince of Tides.  Both answers are correct, but there was only one trophy to give out.  Penn is a dick and Murray is a national treasure.  I'd have used that as the tie breaker if I was voting.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

pacino never winning for michael corleone.

You wanna throw up in your mouth?  In 1972, they gave the Supporting Actor to Joel Fucking Grey for Fucking Cabaret over Pacino.  And Caan.  And Duvall. 

In 1974, they gave Best Actor to Art Carney for playing an old dude with a cat over Michael Fucking Corleone.   And Jack for Chinatown.  And Hoffman for Lenny.  Yeah, that makes sense.  

How Green Was My Valley over Citizen Kane and The Maltese Falcon

Hamlet over The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

The Last Emperor over Broadcast News

Driving Miss Daisy winning at all

Dances With Wolves over Goodfellas

Forrest Gump over Shawshank

Boogie Nights not getting nominated

Titanic over Good Will Hunting

Chicago over The Pianist

King's Speech over The Social Network

It seems like the 50s, 60s and 70s were the glory days of actually getting the best movies the award the most often.

• Like 1

I understand part of the Academy Awards is about driving people to the theater (or buy the movie) but someone should create a similar award but it takes place 5 years later.  Like sports halls of fame.    In 2019, you would presenting awards for films released in 2014.    Give the critics/voters time to fully evaluate a movie or performance.
It should also remove the make-up awards when the Academy realizes they made a previous mistake.  
Another problem that I have now is that I rarely go to the theater so the Academy Awards is about movies that I most likely have never seen.  So why watch.  Usually by 5 years, I've seen the good and/or critically acclaimed movies.   
* I'm not the the one to come up with this idea.

I would like to argue against that. Movies like Star Wars, Rocky, Crouching Tiger and The Matrix were ground breaking movies. In Hollywood, everyone copies whatever is groundbreaking right away. After five years, people forget about the movie that broke new ground, because it’s been copied so much by then.

16 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

Saving Private Ryan losing to Shakespeare in Love

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not meaning to sidetrack too much, but Thin Red Line was the same year as Private Ryan, I think, and since TRL was a better, deeper, films, I'd make the arguments that it should have beaten out SIL.

I also, however, think SIL was a good little flick. 

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

2015: I would have picked Brooklyn even though I loved The Revenant and Mad Max

2014: Grand Budapest over Birdman

2009: Inglorious Basterds over The Hurt Locker. IB is one of my all time favorite Tarantino films.

2002: Gangs of New York over Chicago

Chicago is ass.

• Like 1