Biggest Academy award fuck ups

GhostOfTomJoad

7 hours ago, mdmost said:

Plus, Sean Penn is a dick.

csb -  I once went to one of those ridiculous white parties in Malibu (noracist) and Sean Penn was there wearing all black.  I actually thought it was a cool dick move...like you're going to keep Sean Penn out of your party because he didn't adhere to your stupid clothing request. /csb

2 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Wow. We were with you until that 2nd to the last sentence.

Eh. I know I'm in the minority. I recognize it as a great film. Just not one that I particularly enjoy rewatching. Probably not overrated, more so oversaturated in film culture.

21 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Also as much as I like Rocky....Network came out that year and that thing has proved to be a god damn prophet.  

Truth.

19 hours ago, Red Five said:

Forrest Gump over Pulp Fiction hasn’t held up.

Annie Hall over Star Wars.

Agreed with both. Forrest Gump was a cultural phenomenon in its day; but Pulp Fiction changed filmmaking and culture ever since.

20 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny over Vanessa Redgrave in Howard's End?

Although... to be fair... I'd give this a trophy:

hqdefault.jpg

Fight me. Marisa Tomei was awesome.

7 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

He is a dick, but they probably got it right.  Maybe.  It was a toss up.  This was kind of an Anthony Hopkins for Silence of the Lambs over Nick Nolte For The Prince of Tides.  Both answers are correct, but there was only one trophy to give out.  Penn is a dick and Murray is a national treasure.  I'd have used that as the tie breaker if I was voting.  

Wrong. Both answers were not correct. Bill Murray was and is the only right answer.

5 hours ago, HookEm said:

Chicago is ass.

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Chicago was a makeup for missing the previous year on Moulin Rouge.

Fight me. Both of you. Chicago was infinitely better than Moulin Rouge. MR was populist garbage. Chicago is fantastic music tied to an utterly immoral and subversive film. And nobody who saw Chicago and "got" it was surprised about Trump winning in 2016.

2 hours ago, tantric superman said:

The Pianist is a far better movie than either Gangs or Two Towers.   

My wife gave up on watching movies after The Pianist, because she believes that no movie could equal it. And it's definitely one worth watching at the theater, or on a projection screen with a top-notch sound system.

22 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Whoa. I just clicked that link. That is some deep cuts, art house, foreign language shit. Now that I see their list, I’m surprised PF was that high.

Because Pulp Fiction is art house shit. And see above comments.

6 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

csb -  I once went to one of those ridiculous white parties in Malibu (noracist) and Sean Penn was there wearing all black.  I actually thought it was a cool dick move...like you're going to keep Sean Penn out of your party because he didn't adhere to your stupid clothing request. /csb

can you elaborate on “white party”

Eh. I know I'm in the minority. I recognize it as a great film. Just not one that I particularly enjoy rewatching. Probably not overrated, more so oversaturated in film culture.

Read the book then watch it again. Then watch II. Then watch The Godfather Saga, where they put it all in chronological order and have a shitload of extra scenes. Then watch TGF and part II again. Then watch Part III and make fun of it.

You’ll be a fan by the end of that process. Or seriously read the book and watch them. You feel like you have some inside knowledge. It’s cool to know what all those sideways glances mean.

14 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

We demand examples in this thread sir. None of this generalizing shit.

SOM - have you looked at the other noms? I think they got it right. And you’re right too. What a shitty year.

I’ll have to dig into the 80’s, but I know Raging Bull not winning was a shitty way to start the decade. Sophie’s Choice not even being nominated two years later is a joke. 80’s were a horrible decade for Oscar movies.

Specific examples? Fine: The best picture winners in 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, and 1989. English, motherfucker.

1965 was a pretty shitty year, but I'd give the award to That Darn Cat before I'd give it to Sound of Music. Or even the snore-fest that is Thunderball.

Because Pulp Fiction is art house shit. And see above comments.

Did you look at the list. I’m talking DEEP. Like 7 people outside of France have even heard of it deep.

Sean Penn is a dick, but he was great in MR. So not wrong. And did you misquote or are you saying Annie Hall over Star Wars is an injustice?

7 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Specific examples? Fine: The best picture winners in 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, and 1989. English, motherfucker.

1965 was a pretty shitty year, but I'd give the award to That Darn Cat before I'd give it to Sound of Music. Or even the snore-fest that is Thunderball.

Raiders? ESB (def in my top 10)? Bladerunner (def in my top 50)? Back to The Future? Aliens? 

And, I get its popular to hate on, but Rain Man ain't bad.

And then, 1989 is absolutely stacked. My Left Foot, Dead Poet's and (probably my #1 ever) Cinema Paradiso. (Guessing Tantric doesn't like that one either).

The 80s were different but it had its moments. Not our fault they sucked at picking the movies that would actually age worth a shit.

And to clarify, if we're talking 80s it's the '81-'90 best pictures, not '80-'89

Edited by ztejas

Chill your shit man. I’m sure I agree with you. Point out where they went wrong for us in your opinion.

15 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

but Pulp Fiction changed filmmaking and culture ever since.

I think I misinterpreted your point about the 80s and probably reinforced what you were saying in that the best picture winners were forgettable.

That said, Pulp Fiction did not change filmmaking and culture. Please.

I think I misinterpreted your point about the 80s and probably reinforced what you were saying in that the best picture winners were forgettable.

I don’t know about culture, but it changed filmmaking.

9 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I would like to argue against that. Movies like Star Wars, Rocky, Crouching Tiger and The Matrix were ground breaking movies. In Hollywood, everyone copies whatever is groundbreaking right away. After five years, people forget about the movie that broke new ground, because it’s been copied so much by then.

The movies you mentioned were still highly regarded five years later.  Besides I’m not saying that 1977 Star Wars would be up against 2002 LOTR movies for some visual/special effects award.  Star Wars would be placed up against other 1977 movies in 1982.

but after 5 years, most of the fuckups listed in this thread wouldn’t have occurred.

I’m curious what you think should have won in those years. I think they did a decent job of choosing between a bunch of underwhelming films. I’m only looking at nominees though.

how so?

First off, how old are you? If you didn’t experience how stale filmmaking had become pre-Tarantino, and what it was like after Pulp Fiction, I won’t be able to convince you.

Now, like everything, it didn’t last forever. Now it’s all super heroes and CGI. But for a glorious 7-10 years, films were exciting again.

1 minute ago, Go Pokes said:

Now, like everything, it didn’t last forever. Now it’s all super heroes and CGI. But for a glorious 7-10 years, films were exciting again.

first off, I think it’s hard to say that filmmaking objectively changed in some way for a “glorious 7-10 years” but even if that were true you feel it was all because of pulp fiction?

first off, I think it’s hard to say that filmmaking objectively changed in some way for a “glorious 7-10 years” but even if that were true you feel it was all because of pulp fiction?

Yes. Mainly because everybody was trying to copy him. Some did it better than others, though even a weak attempt to mimic Tarantino was still better than 90% of the shot that had come out the past 10 years.

We can agree to disagree. If you’re really interested, this guy can explain it way better than I can.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newstalk.com/AMP/The-Cultural-Toolbox:-Pulp-Fiction--The-indie-that-changed-cinema

5 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Did you look at the list. I’m talking DEEP. Like 7 people outside of France have even heard of it deep.

Sean Penn is a dick, but he was great in MR. So not wrong. And did you misquote or are you saying Annie Hall over Star Wars is an injustice?

I'm saying that Annie Hall over Star Wars was an injustice. Darned straight. Annie Hall over any of a dozen movies that year, while we're at it.

5 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Chill your shit man. I’m sure I agree with you. Point out where they went wrong for us in your opinion.

What's there to say? Their picks and nominations were dull, the result of a generation nearing retirement age and long lost touch with the interesting and amazing things that a new generation of filmmakers were doing. As they finally did retire as the decade closed out, their picks got better again. Then, around 2010, the process repeats.

None of those movies are, today, worth the effort to go back and watch again. It's an entire period of time where the Academy could be safely ignored as being out of touch and irrelevant.

Except Rain Man. Definitely.

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

ztejas, I'll give you a pass on Pulp Fiction because I assume you weren't an adult yet when that movie came out. You didn't see how every movie before it was a stale rehash or sequel, and after it a whole slew of original movies came out trying to do what it had done.

On 1/10/2019 at 9:07 PM, Message Board User said:

Russell Crowe (Gladiator) over Tom Hanks (Castaway).  Crowe's expression never changes during the whole movie while Hanks is the only one on screen and he keeps our attention for the duration.

Funny Hanks winning for Gump and losing for Castaway which was 100,000 times better a movie and lead character.

I’ve always had a huge crush on Sandra Bullock (saw her around 2002 at an Austin Starbuck’s and she’s even better looking in real life), but I still can’t believe her performance in that Hallmark movie The Blind Side was Oscar-worthy. Admittedly, I never saw the other movies she was up against, but still . . . .

Pulp Fiction changed filmmaking and culture. It blew away audiences, subverted expectations and brought back John Travolta. While Scorsese was doing the same sort of things, this movie was younger, funnier and relatable to more audiences. Independent filmhouses flourished and the rest of history. Oddball, non-linear story-telling. They killed off a character, then he got a whole other scene.

Hollywood expanded its reach on popular culture because it wasnt as stuffy. I’d equate it to the grunge music scene, a response to bloated rock music. Happened about the same time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

Pulp Fiction changed filmmaking and culture. It blew away audiences, subverted expectations and brought back John Travolta. While Scorsese was doing the same sort of things, this movie was younger, funnier and relatable to more audiences. Independent filmhouses flourished and the rest of history. Oddball, non-linear story-telling. They killed off a character, then he got a whole other scene.

Hollywood expanded its reach on popular culture because it wasnt as stuffy. I’d equate it to the grunge music scene, a response to bloated rock music. Happened about the same time.

I think this over rates it.  Look, I LOVE PF and think it was cool and unique.  And that's what I think happens, as it does with movies like Star War.  Those of us of a certain age when they saw PF really related to it, thought it was fucking awesome.  Fast forward our lives a bit and it is this "ground breaking, game changing" movie.  It had snappy dialogue....lots of fucking movies have snappy dialogue.  It was irreverent...yea so. 

The one thing i think Pulp Fiction changed is i am not sure outside of the horror genre it was ever the norm for audiences to crack up laughing in the midst of violent scenes....yea that is different now.  Again horror had done that before though.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ztejas said:

Look, man, if you're going to be counterculture at least do it consistently.

I'm not being counterculture.  I'm simply answering the question you asked me when you asked for reason's why Shawshank isn't in the top tier of movies.  The list I posted -- 8 of the ten movies in the Top Ten are hardly art house films but were pretty mainstream when released.

You have a problem with Shawshank because it's simple minded and syrupy, but then you offer a fucking Clint Eastwood film as a counterexample?

The Clint Eastwood flick is straightforward, real, and isn't trying to be what it isn't. Plus, no opera.

And you put Road to Perdition over The Two Towers? What is you qualm with TTT, is it also too simpleminded and heartwarming?

You're kind of a one trick pony, aren't you?  So now we have moved on from you saying a movie is too immaculate to being too simpleminded.  Two Towers was fine, and I enjoyed it more than the prior flick, and other than do some cool things technologically, didn't add anything to the prior entry in the trilogy.  Perdition was a solid flick about loyalty and family bonds.  TT was a solid flick about elves and gremlins.    

One list isn't changing anyone's opinion on Shawshank. It is one of the most universally beloved films ever made across any culture or age demographic.

And that means little in a critical assessment of the film. 

And to let the door hit you on the way out, I think the Godfather is boring and overrated. Give me Goodfellas over it any day.

Ow, that smarts.  I guess Goodfellas is more immaculate.

One more point: The Godfather and PF are very full of themselves in a way that Shawshank isn't. Scorcese and Tarantino were trying to prove how great they were. Darabont was really just trying to tell a story.

And you won't get the message of what this should tell you.  Look at Darabont's body of work. It doesn't hold a candle to Coppola or especially Scorsese or Tarantino.  He did tell story, but he didn't do it with the skill of a great director.  in fact, he was kind of hamfisted about it.

The Rotten Tomatoes voting block is fine with hamfisted.

Edited by tantric superman

11 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

There were a ton of Tarantino copycats, after Pulp Fiction, but I don’t think I agree with the idea of everything being some kind of safe, stale rehash for years in the industry leading up to the point when Pulp Fiction rescued everyone.  Plenty of other big studio movies were pushing boundaries and moving to more subversive material.  Tarantino’s dialogue was a stylistic change that was novel, but it’s not like every moving for the prior decade was Rocky IV or something.

Just looking at Oscar winners and nominees in the 3 or 4 years before Pulp Fiction, you had:

1. Goodfellas

2. Unforgiven, which subverted and even criticized the entire western genre

3. Silence of the Lambs - I don’t think there had been a lot of jizz throwing, face eating, tucking penises under lady skin suits, or cannibal murderers you kind of root for in prior Oscar winning films. 

4. Schindler’s List - this was such an uncompromising kick to the balls that it managed to be controversial with censors in various places despite being a Spielberg film with a message as non controversial as it gets (the Holocaust was bad, y’all).

5. JFK - I’m not a big Oliver Stone fan, but this wasn’t just a “same old, same old” movie.

6. The Crying Game -  Hmm, maybe there were more movies about tucking hidden penises than I suggested in the Silence of the Lambs paragraph.  

Anyway, Pulp Fiction was a jolt, but I think the industry had been trending in a more jarring, less safe direction for a while both in subject matter and style.  Tarantino had his contribution, but the 90s were going to play out the way they did one way or another. 

Add Dead Poet's to your list. If that one doesn't hit you like a freight train your first time watching I'm not sure you're human.

I'd also say that Tarantino was more putting a 90s spin on Blaxploitation than reinventing the wheel. Personally I dont think the "nigger" shtick ages particularly well (we're all adults here, hold your tounges please. No CR). I'm young but movies and the years in which they came out are static. People that idolize PF have always struck me as people that should broaden their film horizons. (And this said, I think it's an incredible film. Just a bit too hyped)

I mean, shit, Resevior Dogs came out pre PF did it not? 

6 hours ago, tantric superman said:

TT was a solid flick about elves and gremlins.    

Done talking film with this dude but just wanted to put this horseshit on the record a 2nd time in case classics.

Ride out with me. Let the horn of Helm Hammerhand ring one more time. 

Fuck I can't even help myself now. TT is an absolute masterclass. How you put some rehashed crime-noir film that no one has bothered to rewatch above it is, as mdmost said, Texas/OU to Jerryworld esque.

I'll leave it with this.

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, Deej said:

I will never forgive the Academy for failing to nominate Jerry Reed for Best Supporting Actor for " Smokey and the Bandit."

Best supporting actor? That's not the travesty. The travesty is East Bound not winning best original song/track.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jerry Callo said:

Russell Crow in A Brilliant Mind should have won over Denzel Washington in Training Day.  How much harder is it to play a schizophrenicnic genius than and corrupt cop?

I too think Denzel's training day was undeserved.

A Beautiful Mind, btw. 

And I don't get the hate on his Gladiator performance. That role was a massive yoke to carry.

Maybe Joaquin being better clouds it a bit but it's a tough ask to out do one of the 5 greatest living actors. Although tantric superman wasnt convinced by Phoenix's performance and thought it was too derivative of the scrawled papyrus historical notes of Commodus.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I too think Denzel's training day was undeserved.

A Beautiful Mind, btw. 

And I don't get the hate on his Gladiator performance. That role was a massive yoke to carry.

Maybe Joaquin being better clouds it a bit but it's a tough ask to out do one of the 5 greatest living actors. Although tantric superman wasnt convinced by Phoenix's performance and thought it was too derivative of the scrawled papyrus historical notes of Commodus.

Joaquin Phoenix? Lol

DDL

Michael Caine

Tom Hanks

Gary Oldman

Pacino

DeNiro

Denzel

Come on

8 minutes ago, VivaNaranja said:

Joaquin Phoenix? Lol

DDL

Michael Caine

Tom Hanks

Gary Oldman

Pacino

DeNiro

Denzel

Come on

denzel is a good actor and usually plays a character that’s very easy to watch but I don’t think you can compare him to the others you have listed in terms of pure acting talent.