DDL

Michael Caine

Tom Hanks

Gary Oldman

Pacino

DeNiro

Denzel

Come on

I like how you ran out after 7 names. So, I apologize, would top 10 have sufficed?

And personally, I think Phoenix crushes everyone but Hanks and DDL in terms of range of those you mentioned.

I mean seriously. What have Pacino and DeNiro ever done but be Pacino and DeNiro? Joaquin is a damn shapeshifter compared to them.

Edited by ztejas

5 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I guess Denzel probably the days he turned down the gladiator, mafia, and British intelligence roles he was offered. 

Yes, let's make this thread about black reparations. 

Either go to the cloak room or shut the fuck up and quit posting you twat.

19 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Crash is the worst film to win Best Picture.  And it's not even close.

This.  That movie was garbage.  We studied it in a film class, and most every student was cautiously positive about it.  I was the only one in that class willing to state the truth: Crash is condescending, trite horseshit.  

• Like 2

This.  That movie was garbage.  We studied it in a film class, and most every student was cautiously positive about it.  I was the only one in that class willing to state the truth: Crash is condescending, trite horseshit.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/worst-best-picture-winners-ranked-2017-2

This list is interesting. Looks like it came right from this thread. I can’t believe The Greatest Show on Earth didn’t make the cut

On 1/11/2019 at 4:28 PM, ztejas said:

I think the Godfather is boring and overrated. Give me Goodfellas over it any day.

One more point: The Godfather and PF are very full of themselves in a way that Shawshank isn't. Scorcese and Tarantino were trying to prove how great they were. Darabont was really just trying to tell a story.

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

People that idolize PF have always struck me as people that should broaden their film horizons. 

Pulp Fiction and The Godfather are two of the greatest and most influential films of the 20th century.  These takes are embarrasing.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

Midnight Cowboy. I sneaked in to see it when I was 14, expecting to see something like a Russ Meyer movie. 

Midnight Cowboy, probably one of the most depressing films I’ve ever seen. 

I feel like the academy voted for Crash to keep Brokeback Mountain from winning. BM, even with its subject matter, was a better film IMO.

Pulp Fiction is a classic. Should have won Best Picture. 

Its a shame that some years there are films that any other year would have won Best Picture but there were too many good ones. Then there are years where nothing is really good. 

The Greatest Show on Earth was another movie that probably shouldn’t have won Best Picture. 

Edited by Brandywine

On 1/11/2019 at 11:03 AM, Go Pokes said:

1964 - Rex Harrison (My Fair Lady) over literally every other nominee.    I'm thinking the Surl would vote for Peter Sellers for Dr Strangelove.  I'd agree

Anthony Quinn should have gotten it for Zorba and reportedly Rex Harrison agreed and handed him the Oscar afterwards

9 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Pulp Fiction and The Godfather are two of the greatest and most influential films of the 20th century.  These takes are embarrasing.

I'm confused. When did I say they weren't influential? 

On the pulp fiction note, two others have agreed with my stance. So as far as "people that idolize" you're looking in the mirror for my take, bud.

On The Godfather I just personally don't like the film as much as others seem to. Of course it was influential (again, I didnt say it wasn't)

Edited by ztejas

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm confused. When did I say they weren't influential? 

On the pulp fiction note, two others have agreed with my stance. So as far as "people that idolize" you're looking in the mirror for my take, bud.

On The Godfather I just personally don't like the film as much as others seem to. Of course it was influential (again, I didnt say it wasn't)

Calling “The Godfather” boring and overrated is embarrasing.  It is a Philistine thing to say.  It’s like calling Shakespeare or Mark Twain overrated. 

Your ridiculous take about Coppola “trying to prove how great he is” is also completely baseless and clueless.  The Godfather is as pure as classic narrative filmmaking gets.  Name one specific scene of Coppola “trying to prove how great he is” and show your work.

2 hours ago, futureman said:

denzel had a mafia role and he played a cool badass.  like he always does.  

Take a look at his filmography.  I'll give you that I don't remember a role where he was a sniveling little wreck, but especially his early roles, he might have been a strong character but he wasn't a badass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denzel_Washington_on_screen_and_stage

I think despite the fact that blacks have less of a variety of roles to chose from, the idea that he has a limited range may be based more on some of his recent, strong and memorable, roles since training day where he was violent and cold.

Edited by tantric superman

7 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Pulp Fiction was hugely influential, it infected Hollywood with John Travolta, took over a decade to recover.

You’re right.  I took a loom at IMDB to remind me of what he did after.  He was OK in Get Shorty and A CIvil Action, and pretty much uniformally bad in everything else

22 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

John Ford > Orson Welles

Not so much.

Ford was great, but he also put out some contract studio crap.

Welles was a tragic genius, who instead of playing along with the studios was constantly stifled by the studios.

Both great, but I wouldn’t be so fast to elevate Ford.

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

Calling “The Godfather” boring and overrated is embarrasing.  It is a Philistine thing to say.  It’s like calling Shakespeare or Mark Twain overrated. 

Your ridiculous take about Coppola “trying to prove how great he is” is also completely baseless and clueless.  The Godfather is as pure as classic narrative filmmaking gets.  Name one specific scene of Coppola “trying to prove how great he is” and show your work.

You seem like a dickhead offended by my opinion, less someone that actually wants to talk about cinema.

I knew my quip would bring some out of the woodwork, but you don't have to activate the barrier shields this egregiously.

If it's embarrassing that I dont like a movie as much as you do then I'm happy to be embarrassed.

10 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Not so much.

Ford was great, but he also put out some contract studio crap.

Welles was a tragic genius, who instead of playing along with the studios was constantly stifled by the studios.

Both great, but I wouldn’t be so fast to elevate Ford.

Orson Welles was a genius, but John Ford is the most influential director of all time just ask Orson Welles. The Auteur Theory was basically invented by the French to praise him.

• Like 1

Take a look at his filmography.  I'll give you that I don't remember a role where he was a sniveling little wreck, but especially his early roles, he might have been a strong character but he wasn't a badass.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denzel_Washington_on_screen_and_stage
I think despite the fact that blacks have less of a variety of roles to chose from, the idea that he has a limited range may be based more on some of his recent, strong and memorable, roles since training day where he was violent and cold.

Keep in mind, Denzel is fucking 64 years old getting paid to play the badass. When he’s not the bad ass, Denzel was nominated as an eccentric lawyer in Roman Israel.

Recently, he played a drug-addicted wreck in Flight. Dude can still act and play a variety of villains, heroes, cowards with the best.

Joaquin Phoenix I’d put just below Oldman, Bale and DDL. I think Hanks has slipped, but in his prime he was the greatest living actor because he mastered comedy.
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You seem like a dickhead offended by my opinion, less someone that actually wants to talk about cinema.

I knew my quip would bring some out of the woodwork, but you don't have to activate the barrier shields this egregiously.

If it's embarrassing that I dont like a movie as much as you do then I'm happy to be embarrassed.

Offended?  Lol. I just wanted to mock some really stupid takes you had for the entertainment of the thread.  

Speaking of talking cinema, I did ask you to expound upon your assessment that Coppola was “full of himself” and  “trying to prove how great he was.”  But you ignored it.  What are some examples of Coppola “trying to prove how great he was?” Besides making what is universally recognized as one of the 2 or 3 greatest films of all time, and inventing the modern gangster movie.

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Keep in mind, Denzel is fucking 64 years old getting paid to play the badass. When he’s not the bad ass, Denzel was nominated as an eccentric lawyer in Roman Israel.

Recently, he played a drug-addicted wreck in Flight. Dude can still act and play a variety of villains, heroes, cowards with the best.

Joaquin Phoenix I’d put just below Oldman, Bale and DDL. I think Hanks has slipped, but in his prime he was the greatest living actor because he mastered comedy.

Bruce Willis mastered comedy too

3 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Offended?  Lol. I just wanted to mock some really stupid takes you had for the entertainment of the thread.  

Speaking of talking cinema, I did ask you to expound upon your assessment that Coppola was “full of himself” and  “trying to prove how great he was.”  But you ignored it.  What are some examples of Coppola “trying to prove how great he was?” Besides making what is universally recognized as one of the 2 or 3 greatest films of all time, and inventing the modern gangster movie.

Yeah. BRB. Let me watch 3 hours of film then take another 5 hours to break it down for you.

Again, this boils down to me liking the Godfather less than you. If that personally offends you I honestly don't give a shit. I'm entitled to my opinion. 

17 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Rep'd for the mention of Bale. I put DiCaprio with that crew, too.

And I actually think that in 2019 Jaoquin can out act Oldamn but Oldamn is a fucking legend and has done some great stuff recently. 

That's a solid top 5 though. Daniel Day, Oldman, Bale, Phoenix, DiCaprio.

I think Mahershala Ali is getting close to that group. (No it's not just white men Tantric you pandering fuck)

Also Lupita Nyong'o is a fiend. She might be the best living male or female.

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Yeah. BRB. Let me watch 3 hours of film then take another 5 hours to break it down for you.

Again, this boils down to me liking the Godfather less than you. If that personally offends you I honestly don't give a shit. I'm entitled to my opinion. 

Don’t you do that like 3 times a week in this forum? 

you could just admit that you said something dumb, got called on it, and can’t provide a single substantive point to back up what you said - cause it was vapid and meritless. 

Not everyone is going to like every movie on the AFI Top 100, but really, you should have stopped at boring.

You also missed this layup -“it insists upon itself.”

31 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Don’t you do that like 3 times a week in this forum? 

you could just admit that you said something dumb, got called on it, and can’t provide a single substantive point to back up what you said - cause it was vapid and meritless. 

Not everyone is going to like every movie on the AFI Top 100, but really, you should have stopped at boring.

You also missed this layup -“it insists upon itself.”

Lol at vapid. I have been defending classics in this thread the past 3 pages.

I'm sorry that you're so butt-hurt that I don't like the Godfather. Again, this is a matter of preference. I respect everyone's opinion that loves the Godfather and I respect it's place in cinematic history. That doesn't mean I need to get on my knees and suck Coppola's dick because you think it's such a great film. 

It's a great movie. Just not a movie I feel the need to rewatch or that really resonates with me. I never said it was bad, I never said it wasn't influential, just that I question the regard it's held in and like other movies more. 

And I didn't miss a layup. I thought about posting it but I'm not going to let Family Guy dictate my voice for me. Obviously I think that clip is funny and somewhat of a premise I agree with. So I'm Peter, and you're the rest of the family. Again again again again our opinions are different. Can we stop bastardizing the actual discussion in this thread? Or is The Godfather so free of criticism that your head is going to explode if I make another comment. 

For an analogy, the Godfather is like The Beatles to me. I get it. I'm not going to inundate myself with it more than I need to. Let's talk about something else. 

Edited by ztejas

39 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Lol at vapid. I have been defending classics in this thread the past 3 pages.

I'm sorry that you're so butt-hurt that I don't like the Godfather. Again, this is a matter of preference. I respect everyone's opinion that loves the Godfather and I respect it's place in cinematic history. That doesn't mean I need to get on my knees and suck Coppola's dick because you think it's such a great film. 

It's a great movie. Just not a movie I feel the need to rewatch or that really resonates with me. I never said it was bad, I never said it wasn't influential, just that I question the regard it's held in and like other movies more. 

And I didn't miss a layup. I thought about posting it but I'm not going to let Family Guy dictate my voice for me. Obviously I think that clip is funny and somewhat of a premise I agree with. So I'm Peter, and you're the rest of the family. Again again again again our opinions are different. Can we stop bastardizing the actual discussion in this thread? Or is The Godfather so free of criticism that your head is going to explode if I make another comment. 

For an analogy, the Godfather is like The Beatles to me. I get it. I'm not going to inundate myself with it more than I need to. Let's talk about something else. 

It’s boring and overrated 

It's a great movie

Quite a change of tune there bud! Could have been shorter, but good on ya for taking the L.

Edited by CurlyDumps

14 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Quite a change of tune there bud! Could have been shorter, but good on ya for taking the L.

Wow this is adorable. It's like the Backyardigans solving a mystery.

Maybe given your level of intellectual capability and grasp on the English language this could come as a surprise, but thinking that a film is great and has its place in cinematic achievement, and also thinking it is boring and overrated is not mutually exclusive.

You could have chosen to interpret my Beatles analogy and left it at that. I'm not contradicting myself. Just expressing my opinion.

Again again again again again again again again again again I'm sorry that you have such a hard time with that. Maybe we should just ignore each other since clearly you are at an impasse here. 

Care to give more detail? Not trying to talk shit or argue but I really really liked this movie and am always interested in hearing the details of people that didn't like it at all

2009 was an interesting year. The Hurt Locker won, but you have Inglorious Bastards and District 9. 

While I think the latter two are better films, the female director angle plus the Tarantino and Sci-Fi factors of the other two might have made it an easy decision.

Would have loved to been a fly on the wall for that one. I'm sure there were Academy members trying to hold their tongues about how good D9 or Inglorious were.

Rep'd for the mention of Bale. I put DiCaprio with that crew, too.
And I actually think that in 2019 Jaoquin can out act Oldamn but Oldamn is a fucking legend and has done some great stuff recently. 
That's a solid top 5 though. Daniel Day, Oldman, Bale, Phoenix, DiCaprio.
I think Mahershala Ali is getting close to that group. (No it's not just white men Tantric you pandering fuck)
Also Lupita Nyong'o is a fiend. She might be the best living male or female.

I wouldnt put Leo above Rockwell, Tom Hardy, Cumberbatch, Denzel or Hanks. I dont see the same sort of role range or nuance compared to the top actors. He tries real hard-thats the problem. I always see him acting and its like, “Man, Leo’s working his ass off.”

Compare him to the late Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Dude was the guy in each role, you forget it was him.

Lupita’s been in 3 things? Ali is solid, but he has never blown me away, though I never saw Moonlight.