Biggest Academy award fuck ups

GhostOfTomJoad

Ha ha, ztejas, you are the most defensive crybaby on these boards, and that's saying a lot.

I realize you don't have any reason to know that bitching about how Shawshank is overrated is something (that maybe one or two posters know) I've carried over as just some personal schtick from Shaggybevo, but it's a laugh that it got some mileage in this thread.   I usually just drop the Shawshank hate, someone says my opinion is bad and I should feel bad, and that's it.

Now relax, and continue to support your opinion without having a cow.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

2009 was an interesting year. The Hurt Locker won, but you have Inglorious Bastards and District 9. 

While I think the latter two are better films, the female director angle plus the Tarantino and Sci-Fi factors of the other two might have made it an easy decision.

Would have loved to been a fly on the wall for that one. I'm sure there were Academy members trying to hold their tongues about how good D9 or Inglorious were.

Agree.

Two foreign film nominees The Prophet and the White Ribbon, and Secret in Their Eyes (winner of Best Foreign Film) were really terrific. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Care to give more detail? Not trying to talk shit or argue but I really really liked this movie and am always interested in hearing the details of people that didn't like it at all

I enjoyed it too. I am quite partial to most of the cast and enjoyed the "turnabout" bits. 

On the other hand, its treatment of racial topics is frequently considered superficial. And I suppose the very turnabout things that I rather enjoyed are considered hackneyed or clichéd. 

It is not a horrible movie by any stretch, but it may not be Oscar worthy. 

Also, other than the performances, I think brokeback is overrated.  It's a simple unrequited love story made unique by the fact that the lovers are men.  That made for some pretty good performances by the actors, but beyond that, I am not convinced that it is a great film. Difficult to sort the film from the subject matter. 

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

I realize you don't have any reason to know that bitching about how Shawshank is overrated is something (that maybe one or two posters know) I've carried over as just some personal schtick from Shaggybevo, but it's a laugh that it got some mileage in this thread.   I usually just drop the Shawshank hate, someone says my opinion is bad and I should feel bad, and that's it.
Now relax, and continue to support your opinion without having a cow.

I do the same thing with Live and Let Die in every Bond thread. I don’t get nearly as much blowback since, unlike Shawshank, LALD is an unwatchable piece of shit.

57 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Agree.

Two foreign film nominees The Prophet and the White Ribbon, and Secret in Their Eyes (winner of Best Foreign Film) were really terrific. 

I assume you mean the french crime drama “a prophet” and not the middle eastern animated film “the prophet”.  

I agree the french film is terrific. 

edit: well, yeah 2009.  french film. 

Edited by futureman

3 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Fair enough. You can have your Shawshank shtick and I'll have my Godfather shtick. 

Defensive crybaby, though? Nah, that ain't it. I just like arguing and being a dick. I'll admit when I'm wrong, I promise. Ill give the Godfather a rewatch and see if my opinion changes.

The issue in this thread is how subjective film is, and our differing tastes. To each their own. 

Glad you're a fan of D9. I was worried we'd be right back to the drawing board for a second after posting.

Another good one for 2008/2009 - I absolutely adore Ip Man. I could watch it 50 times in a row - historical accuracy be dambed.

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

I wouldnt put Leo above Rockwell, Tom Hardy, Cumberbatch, Denzel or Hanks. I dont see the same sort of role range or nuance compared to the top actors. He tries real hard-thats the problem. I always see him acting and its like, “Man, Leo’s working his ass off.”

Compare him to the late Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Dude was the guy in each role, you forget it was him.

Lupita’s been in 3 things? Ali is solid, but he has never blown me away, though I never saw Moonlight.

Agree with the tries real hard vibe of Leo.

Everyone's top 5 list is going to be different.

And yes Lupita doesn't have a body of work yet - but she's sure as shit building an impressive one.

Not sure which film you were thinking of, but she isn't in Moonlight.

Oh yeah, go watch Moonlight.

5 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

In the queue.

Jealous you haven't seen it. Don't want to build it up too much, but it's my favorite martial arts movie ever. Almost plays out like an out-for-blood Western.

Edited by ztejas

11 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Care to give more detail? Not trying to talk shit or argue but I really really liked this movie and am always interested in hearing the details of people that didn't like it at all

I haven’t watched the movie in years. So I’m going off vague memories, because why would I watch that piece of shit again? But for starters, the heroes of a movie about racism are white people (Bullock and Dillon). While the minorities get side supporting roles whose purpose is to redeem and glorify the white racists.  

Think about how pathetic and insulting that is.  If that movie was released today it would get rightfully eviscerated and sweep the razzis. 

Edited by CurlyDumps

when I’m really down in the dumps nothing brightens my day more than putting on melancholia

bcf46c186cc182f56d0d529101267086.jpg

Also, I’m sure this has already been covered previously in this thread prior but I’m too lazy to scroll through, when I read the thread title I immediately thought of this:

10b7bae3baf95807ff1afe6bcc6eb688.jpg

54 minutes ago, futureman said:

I think this the oscar fuckup thread, not the “when oscar got it 100% right so let’s celebrate those awesome oscar choices from the past” thread.  

Well when her husband is watching Braveheart she likes to go to the other TV and put on Babe because it's less violent and doesn't require any semblance of critical thought to watch. 

Edited by ztejas

Yeah, I'm gonna disagree with that (and take the heat). SPR is Spielberg serving both of his masters. The brilliant filming of the D-Day invasion in the first act resonates as does the the final attempt to defend the bridge, but the rest of the story could've been written on a bar napkin. 
Ahem,

3b4d94c1f631627da97315f50886fbee.jpg

Zemeckis’ Forrest Gump winning best picture over Pulp Fiction and Shawshank. 
The King’s Speech (which is a fine film but doesn’t hold up) winning BP over The Social Network, Black Swan, and The Fighter. (I consider The Social Network and Zodiac two of the greatest modern films)
The Social Network and Black Swan were dreck. The Fighter was good but my god man...

This dialogue is best picture oscar worthy...

"King George VI: All that... work... down the drain. My own... b... brother, I couldn't say a single w-word to him in reply.

Lionel Logue: Why do you stammer so much more with David than you ever do with me?

King George VI: 'Cos you're b... bloody well paid to listen.

Lionel Logue: Bertie, I'm not a geisha girl.

King George VI: Stop trying to be so bloody clever.

Lionel Logue: What is it about David that stops you speaking?

King George VI: What is it about you that bloody well makes you want to go on about it the whole bloody time?

Lionel Logue: Vulgar, but fluent; you don't stammer when you swear.

King George VI: Oh, bugger off!

Lionel Logue: Is that the best you can do?

King George VI: [like an elocution lesson] Well... bloody bugger to you, you beastly bastard.

Lionel Logue: Oh, a public school prig could do better than that.

King George VI: Shit. Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit!

Lionel Logue: Yes!

King George VI: Shit!

Lionel Logue: Defecation flows trippingly from the tongue!

King George VI: Because I'm angry!

Lionel Logue: Do you know the f-word?

King George VI: F... f... fornication?

Lionel Logue: Oh, Bertie.

King George VI: Fuck. Fuck! Fuck, fuck, fuck and fuck! Fuck, fuck and bugger! Bugger, bugger, buggerty buggerty buggerty, fuck, fuck, arse!

Lionel Logue: Yes...

King George VI: Balls, balls...

Lionel Logue: ...you see, not a hesitation!

King George VI: ...fuckity, shit, shit, fuck and willy. Willy, shit and fuck and... tits."

aaaannnddd..... TITS!

CHA CHING HERE IS YOUR OSCAR.
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 2:26 AM, Zepol87 said:

I'm not the one who originally trashed it but when I saw Crash I found it offputting because all it does is give the viewer a chance to look at characters being cartoonishly racist, think "Well *I* wouldn't do anything like that and I think these characters are bad so therefore I am so good!"  It's cloying and patronizing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Continental Op said:

I'm not the one who originally trashed it but when I saw Crash I found it offputting because all it does is give the viewer a chance to look at characters being cartoonishly racist, think "Well *I* wouldn't do anything like that and I think these characters are bad so therefore I am so good!"  It's cloying and patronizing. 

it’s not a good movie but it’s also not that shallow.  

23 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

BM was definitely robbed. Brilliant film making across the board. The final scene when Ennis talks to Jack's spirit, their shirts entangled on the closet door, and Willie singing softly as the scene fades is perfection.

That movie is great. It’s two men, sure, but the pain you feel at the end for Ennis and the wasted life he could have had. Heartbreaking. 

2 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

Mad Max Fury Road is horse shit.  The Road Warrior was fine and didn’t need to be remade with some girl power Hollywood horse shit.

Anyone talking shit about Braveheart can get fucked.  

This opinion is poor, both because Road Warrior was better than fine, Fury Road should have won best picture its year, and Braveheart is fine.

On 1/15/2019 at 7:55 PM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

BM was definitely robbed. Brilliant film making across the board. The final scene when Ennis talks to Jack's spirit, their shirts entangled on the closet door, and Willie singing softly as the scene fades is perfection.

Man, looking over that year, it was really poor.  Syriana and History of Violence were the only flicks with any kick.

Crash would have been fine if they had just left everyone out except Matt Dillon and his racist father. 

tenor.gif?itemid=8171468

On 1/11/2019 at 11:03 AM, Go Pokes said:

I feel like you're making a joke here.   So I'm just going to laugh and move on. 

They fucked up the Best Actor in the mid 60's so bad, it took them 20 years to finally fix it.  

1965 - Lee Marvin (Cat Ballout) over Rod Steiger (The Pawnbroker)

1967 - To fix that, they gave Steiger the Oscar (In The Heat of the Night - one of my favorite movies) and screwed Paul Newman (Cool Hand Luke).  It's close at least, but they could have avoided the quandary by getting it right the year before.  

It took them until 1986 to finally give Newman as Oscar for The Color of Money.  Meh.  I'd rank that at the very bottom of all of his nominated performances, but the field was weak that year anyway,  You might be able to make an Argument for William Hurt in Children of a Lesser God, but they just gave him the Oscar the year before.  

They made a clusterfuck out of the Best Actor award throughout the  entire 60's.  

1963 - Poiter (Lillies of the Field) over Newman (Hud).  They probably fucked Newman in 1961 too.  

1964 - Rex Harrison (My Fair Lady) over literally every other nominee.    I'm thinking the Surl would vote for Peter Sellers for Dr Strangelove.  I'd agree

1966 - Paul Scofield over Richard Burton (Virginai Wolfe)

1968 - Cliff Roberton (Charley) over Peter O'Toole.  

1969- John Wayne over Hoffman .  Save it.  I don't care.  The Duke was a shitty actor.  This was a lifetime achievement award.   No wonder Hoffman was kind of jaded about the Oscars by the time he finally won one.  To lose for his performance of Ratso to an old dying legend doing the same schtick he'd done for 40+ years had to eat at him.  

What the fuck did the Academy have against Burton, Newman, and O'Toole?  

I think they got these correct at least

1960 - Burt Lancaster (Elmer Gentry) - It's a bit hammy, but I loved the movie so I'll let it slide.   Spencer Tracy (Inherit the Wind) was probably the closest, but his mantle was already stuffed.  

1961 - Max Schell for Judgement at Nuremberg.  Maybe could have gone with Paul Newman (The Hustler), but they probably figured there would be a lot of opportunities to honor Newman.  They were right, but they fucked all those up too.  

1962 - Peck.  To Kill a Mockingbird.  I think we're good here.  Peter O'Toole left on the sidelines for the first of 8 times.   

Could be wrong but seem to recall Steiger was an edgy guy, unlike Newman, and that probably played well with Hollywood voting crowd for the times..  Thought Newman’s best acting performance might have been in The Verdict.  Agree about John Wayne award was life time achievement award.

On 1/15/2019 at 5:55 PM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Read this, and then watch the scene from from crash @Dutchrudder posted. 

2006 wins this thread, hands down.

How in the heck do we get five pages into this thread without anyone citing the travesty of "Kramer vs. Kramer" (1980) over "Apocalypse Now," "Breaking Away," and "Norma Rae?"

Also, in my "Mathis or Sinatra," "it's Presley" moment ("Diner," 1982), in 1978 I'll take "The Goodbye Girl" over both "Annie Hall" and "Star Wars,"  simply because of Richard Dreyfus' performance.

Could be wrong but seem to recall Steiger was an edgy guy, unlike Newman, and that probably played well with Hollywood voting crowd for the times..  Thought Newman’s best acting performance might have been in The Verdict.  Agree about John Wayne award was life time achievement award.

Then it seems like 1965 would have been a good time to give Steiger an Oscar. Lee Marvin in Cat Ballou was an odd choice. You’d have thought with The Hustler, Hud, and Cool Hand Luke, they’d have figured out Newman was pretty edgy himself.

How in the heck do we get five pages into this thread without anyone citing the travesty of "Kramer vs. Kramer" (1980) over "Apocalypse Now," "Breaking Away," and "Norma Rae?"
Also, in my "Mathis or Sinatra," "it's Presley" moment ("Diner," 1982), in 1978 I'll take "The Goodbye Girl" over both "Annie Hall" and "Star Wars,"  simply because of Richard Dreyfus' performance.

These are well thought out, intelligent points. I disagree with every one of them, but I’m sure you can live with that.

1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

Then it seems like 1965 would have been a good time to give Steiger an Oscar. Lee Marvin in Cat Ballou was an odd choice. You’d have thought with The Hustler, Hud, and Cool Hand Luke, they’d have figured out Newman was pretty edgy himself.

Not arguing about Lee Marvin winning for Cat Ballou which was a musical to boot.  I meant Steiger was edgy outside of acting and fit the mood of the country at time.  Hollywood rewards that shit.

Edited by Horn80

4 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

You've gone like, two step below in my....book.

• Like 1

So have we exhausted this subject?   I was thinking about starting another thread, but the topic may not have the legs to carry an entire thread.   

So who are the best actors/actresses who have never won an Oscar?  

The obvious old/dead ones: 

Peter O'Toole (7 noms)

His best chance was probably Lawrence of Arabia, but he had the misfortune of going up against Atticus Finch.  He also probably could have won in '64 for Becket, which I've never seen.  Rex Harrison in My Fair Lasy?  GTFO.   He would have been a better choice in 1968 for The Lion in Winter, but lost to Cliff Robertson.   It's understandable that he lost in '69, just not who he lost to.  John Wayne got his lifetime achievement award that year.  After that, losing to Vito Corleone and Jake LaMotta is justified.   His last nom for My Favorite Year in 1980 was kind of like '69.  Understandable that he lost, but I would have put him second behind Paul Newman in The Verdict.  But no, Ben Kingsly puts on a diaper in a historical epic and neither of them probably ever had a chance.  

Richard Burton (7 noms) - His sad tale reads a bit like O'Toole's. 

1954 - lost to William Holden.  I can live with that.    

1965 - The Spy who Came in From the Cold.  He lost to Lee Marvin for Cat Ballou.   that's pretty questionable.  

1966- this is where I think we got screwed for Virginia Wolfe.  Lost to Paul Scofield for A Man for All Seasons.  

1969 - Lost to John Wayne.  I've never seen Anne of the Thousand Days, but I'm going out on a limb and thinking he would have been a better choice.  Everybody nominated that year would have been a better choice.  

1977 - Equus - I don't know what the fuck that movie even is, but I'm good with Richard Dreyfuss winning for The Goodbye Girl

He was also nominated for Supporting Actor in 1953 for some movie I never heard of.  He was up against Sinatra, so that wasn't happening anyway.  

I have a few more in my head, but it's quitting time so I won't take up all the good ones.  I thought I'd get the ball rolling and see if anyone else thinks this would be a fun topic to chew on over the next few weeks.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

So have we exhausted this subject?   I was thinking about starting another thread, but the topic may not have the legs to carry an entire thread.   

So who are the best actors/actresses who have never won an Oscar?  

The obvious old/dead ones: 

Peter O'Toole (7 noms)

His best chance was probably Lawrence of Arabia, but he had the misfortune of going up against Atticus Finch.  He also probably could have won in '64 for Becket, which I've never seen.  Rex Harrison in My Fair Lasy?  GTFO.   He would have been a better choice in 1968 for The Lion in Winter, but lost to Cliff Robertson.   It's understandable that he lost in '69, just not who he lost to.  John Wayne got his lifetime achievement award that year.  After that, losing to Vito Corleone and Jake LaMotta is justified.   His last nom for My Favorite Year in 1980 was kind of like '69.  Understandable that he lost, but I would have put him second behind Paul Newman in The Verdict.  But no, Ben Kingsly puts on a diaper in a historical epic and neither of them probably ever had a chance.  

Richard Burton (7 noms) - His sad tale reads a bit like O'Toole's. 

1954 - lost to William Holden.  I can live with that.    

1965 - The Spy who Came in From the Cold.  He lost to Lee Marvin for Cat Ballou.   that's pretty questionable.  

1966- this is where I think we got screwed for Virginia Wolfe.  Lost to Paul Scofield for A Man for All Seasons.  

1969 - Lost to John Wayne.  I've never seen Anne of the Thousand Days, but I'm going out on a limb and thinking he would have been a better choice.  Everybody nominated that year would have been a better choice.  

1977 - Equus - I don't know what the fuck that movie even is, but I'm good with Richard Dreyfuss winning for The Goodbye Girl

He was also nominated for Supporting Actor in 1953 for some movie I never heard of.  He was up against Sinatra, so that wasn't happening anyway.  

I have a few more in my head, but it's quitting time so I won't take up all the good ones.  I thought I'd get the ball rolling and see if anyone else thinks this would be a fun topic to chew on over the next few weeks.  

Showing O'Toole is 0 for 8, actually. And I'll be happy to take all the good ones since you can just look the list up. Glenn Close is 0 for 7. Amy Adams, Deborah Kerr and Thelma Ritter are all 0 for 6. Irene Dunne, Albert Finney, Arthur Kennedy all 0 for 5.

Bunch of 0 for 4s and 0 for 3s that I don't feel like typing out. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_actors_with_two_or_more_Academy_Award_nominations_in_acting_categories

Edited by ztejas

Wonder if they’ll look for a movie to use as an excuse to give Tom Cruise a lifetime award some day.  They missed the best chance without even a nomination for Rainman.  All the attention went to Hoffman.  3 nominations for his lesser work.  Jerry McGuire, Magnolia, Born on the Fourth of July. 

15 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Wonder if they’ll look for a movie to use as an excuse to give Tom Cruise a lifetime award some day.

Gross. No. 

5 hours ago, Underdog said:

I think he should have won for Magnolia Tropic Thunder.

I'M A DUDE DISGUISED AS A DUDE PLAYIN' ANOTHER DUDE

On 1/12/2019 at 4:55 AM, longhornmatt said:

There were a ton of Tarantino copycats, after Pulp Fiction, but I don’t think I agree with the idea of everything being some kind of safe, stale rehash for years in the industry leading up to the point when Pulp Fiction rescued everyone.  Plenty of other big studio movies were pushing boundaries and moving to more subversive material.  Tarantino’s dialogue was a stylistic change that was novel, but it’s not like every moving for the prior decade was Rocky IV or something.

Just looking at Oscar winners and nominees in the 3 or 4 years before Pulp Fiction, you had:

1. Goodfellas

2. Unforgiven, which subverted and even criticized the entire western genre

3. Silence of the Lambs - I don’t think there had been a lot of jizz throwing, face eating, tucking penises under lady skin suits, or cannibal murderers you kind of root for in prior Oscar winning films. 

4. Schindler’s List - this was such an uncompromising kick to the balls that it managed to be controversial with censors in various places despite being a Spielberg film with a message as non controversial as it gets (the Holocaust was bad, y’all).

5. JFK - I’m not a big Oliver Stone fan, but this wasn’t just a “same old, same old” movie.

6. The Crying Game -  Hmm, maybe there were more movies about tucking hidden penises than I suggested in the Silence of the Lambs paragraph.  

Anyway, Pulp Fiction was a jolt, but I think the industry had been trending in a more jarring, less safe direction for a while both in subject matter and style.  Tarantino had his contribution, but the 90s were going to play out the way they did one way or another. 

The fact that JFK isn't listed as a comedy still baffles me