"Dr. Marijuana" Suspended for Thousands of Medical Weed Referrals

ztejas

45 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Reminds me of the "Kush Doctor" that used to be on the Santa Monica boardwalk about 6 years ago with the hot chick dressed in a giant weed plant costume out front handing out flyers and cards. I couldn't believe that was legal. 

pussy

5 hours ago, EE2B said:

He was meeting people in hotel rooms and getting paid cash under the table to write prescriptions. That’s “no harm”?

Prescriptions for weed. And medical, regulated weed at that. Mans wasn't handing out oxys.

But you sound like fun at parties.

5 minutes ago, Foosters said:

LOL. I got my rec in CA from "Dr. Ambrosio." Signed up on a website, and 30 minutes later some receptionist called me and asked why I needed a rec. I told her bc my back hurts. 45 seconds later I had an official medical card in my email inbox.

Thoughts and prayers for your bad back... thoughts and prayers...........

Prescriptions for weed. And medical, regulated weed at that. Mans wasn't handing out oxys.
But you sound like fun at parties.

I’m not sure why I’m wasting my breath here but: he was not doing what he was supposed to as a doctor since he never saw the patients again after they had been using weed (or whatever drug he prescribed) to verify it was doing what it was supposed to. Based on the article it sounds like he wrote the prescriptions for some extended amount of time and sent them on their way. It had nothing to do with the weed, it was because he failed at the simplest aspect of his job and now he is paying for it. Once the IRS is notified, he will be paying for it again.

5 minutes ago, EE2B said:

I’m not sure why I’m wasting my breath here but: he was not doing what he was supposed to as a doctor since he never saw the patients again after they had been using weed (or whatever drug he prescribed) to verify it was doing what it was supposed to. Based on the article it sounds like he wrote the prescriptions for some extended amount of time and sent them on their way. It had nothing to do with the weed, it was because he failed at the simplest aspect of his job and now he is paying for it. Once the IRS is notified, he will be paying for it again.

Okay, but what is the "harm" exactly? Sure he was violating the terms of his practicing license, sure he was cheating on taxes (probably, but who isn't?). He didn't kill anyone in a botched surgery or give out poor medical advice. People wanted weed and he exploited a loophole in the system to get it to them. On top of that: I doubt all 3,000 people he wrote scrips for were just looking to get high. I'm sure some had legitimate reasons for the medical use and saw it as a convenient way to get it. 

For the others, is an adult that sells weed illegally to another adult (keyword adult: not talking about turning 13-year-olds into stoners) really doing any harm? Aside from the tax evasion? 

So yeah, he should pay his fucking taxes. I agree with you there. In terms of his integrity as a physician, who gives a shit? He's an obstetrician and gynecologist. The weed was a side hustle.

I can walk next door right now from my office and buy a handle of bourbon and pack of cigarettes without needing a doctor to sign a piece of paper. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EE2B said:

He was meeting people in hotel rooms and getting paid cash under the table to write prescriptions. That’s “no harm”?

First of all, if he was getting paid cash in a hotel room, I’m sure it wasn’t under the table. There would be no need for that. The customer would take cash out of his (or her) pocket and just hand it to this so-called “doctor”. And second, where’s the harm, exactly?

Okay, but what is the "harm" exactly? Sure he was violating the terms of his practicing license, sure he was cheating on taxes (probably, but who isn't?). He didn't kill anyone in a botched surgery or give out poor medical advice. People wanted weed and he exploited a loophole in the system to get it to them. On top of that: I doubt all 3,000 people he wrote scrips for were just looking to get high. I'm sure some had legitimate reasons for the medical use and saw it as a convenient way to get it. 
For the others, is an adult that sells weed illegally to another adult (keyword adult: not talking about turning 13-year-olds into stoners) really doing any harm? Aside from the tax evasion? 
So yeah, he should pay his fucking taxes. I agree with you there. In terms of his integrity as a physician, who gives a shit? He's an obstetrician and gynecologist. The weed was a side hustle.
I can walk next door right now from my office and buy a handle of bourbon and pack of cigarettes without needing a doctor to sign a piece of paper. 

This is directly from the state of New Jersey medical marijuana “checklist for Physicians”
1. Certify that patient has a qualifying medical condition for medicinal marijuana,

2. Select a 30, 60, or 90 day effective period. This time frame determines how many days a patient may purchase medical marijuana before being reevaluated. Upon expiration of the selected timeframe, you must re-assess the patient’s condition and determine whether to continue their use of medicinal marijuana for an additional 30, 60, or 90 day period.
Link: https://www.state.nj.us/health/medicalmarijuana/physicians/checklist/

He didn’t find a loophole, he violated the terms of the agreement he made to be able to prescribe medical marijuana.

If your local liquor stores sales a handle of Jack to a 20 year old, are they doing any harm? Most likely not, but if they get caught they are in violation of the terms they agreed to when they obtained their liquor license. With enough repeated violations, they could lose their license and no longer be able to sell alcohol. Not much different than the “good doctor” in New Jersey.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, EE2B said:

you really need to get high

9 minutes ago, EE2B said:

This is directly from the state of New Jersey medical marijuana “checklist for Physicians”
1. Certify that patient has a qualifying medical condition for medicinal marijuana,

2. Select a 30, 60, or 90 day effective period. This time frame determines how many days a patient may purchase medical marijuana before being reevaluated. Upon expiration of the selected timeframe, you must re-assess the patient’s condition and determine whether to continue their use of medicinal marijuana for an additional 30, 60, or 90 day period.

He didn’t find a loophole, he violated the terms of the agreement he made to be able to prescribe medical marijuana.

If your local liquor stores sales a handle of Jack to a 20 year old, are they doing any harm? Most likely not, but if they get caught they are in violation of the terms they agreed to when they obtained their liquor license. With enough repeated violations, they could lose their license and no longer be able to sell alcohol. Not much different than the “good doctor” in New Jersey.

I don't think anyone disagrees with you that he violated some terms, laws, or duties. Just no one gives a shit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Yes weed = no harm. Did I stutter or something?

Well bad weed pisses me off so there's some quality of life pain.

Weed is about the most friendly drug there is. You just can't kill yourself on straight weed unless you get behind the wheel after smoking too much. 

I know it's a dead horse, but if you wanna stop people from dying, beating up The wife and kids, wrapping cars around trees, losing jobs, contracting alcohol related diseases, and losing their respectability get rid of alcohol.  

And I say no fucking way to that, I like my liver damage.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, EE2B said:

Damn, I didn't know the prosecuting attorney was a Surly poster.

As someone else said, who gives a shit. It's pot. No one is arguing the legality - we are arguing the ethics. In most posters minds, ethically, aside from being a jagoff that didn't pay taxes, this dude should get a pass.

Weedheads don't like actual facts.
  • Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Weed heads ?  The preferred term is reefer addicts.  

Ya know who doesn't like actual facts ?  The powers that be that still don't recognize the medical facts that pot is orders of magnitude less harmful than alcohol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Weed heads ?  The preferred term is reefer addicts.  

Ya know who doesn't like actual facts ?  The powers that be that still don't recognize the medical facts that pot is orders of magnitude less harmful than alcohol.

Nooo! Don’t you know that marijuana is schedule 1? That means, wait, wait, let me get my poker face on for this, that it has no medicinal value, AND high potential for abuse! All those people claiming that it helps them with pain, or helps them sleep, or gives them more appetite during chemo or whatever, they are all lying. They are all bad people, and they deserve to spend the rest of their lives behind bars.

5 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Nooo! Don’t you know that marijuana is schedule 1? That means, wait, wait, let me get my poker face on for this, that it has no medicinal value, AND high potential for abuse! All those people claiming that it helps them with pain, or helps them sleep, or gives them more appetite during chemo or whatever, they are all lying. They are all bad people, and they deserve to spend the rest of their lives behind bars.

Yeah that schedule 1 thingy.  My mistake I take back everything I said, somebody give me a bottle of 116 proof bourbon....with a Percocet  chaser.

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Cool. I'm not a weedhead. I quit smoking months ago. Just someone that thinks it's absurd we haven't federally legalized marijuana at this point.

To expound, I do things that I dont advocate for being legalized. So I'd like to think my opinion is pretty objective here.

Cool. I'm not a weedhead. I quit smoking months ago. Just someone that thinks it's absurd we haven't federally legalized marijuana at this point.
To expound, I do things that I dont advocate for being legalized. So I'd like to think my opinion is pretty objective here.
And I agree. But until the laws are actually changed, one's personal preference/opinion is just that. It doesn't override existing laws. Some folks can't understand that and just whine away.

3 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

one's personal preference/opinion is just that.

Interesting way of phrasing it when over 50% of Americans polled think it should be federally legalized and 10 states have legalized it recreationally with another 21 having legalized medical marijuana. That isn't even including cities outside of that that have decriminalized it such as Houston. 

So no, it isn't my personal preference, it is a majority held opinion by Americans. 

I'm not whining about anything. I just think it's a nonissue. 

Legality =/= ethical or moral standing. The amount of people in this country incarcerated for marijuana related offenses is absolutely disgusting. Especially when you look at the statistical discrepancy of those cases when it comes to race. 

So as far as "some folks can't understand that" maybe some folks just think it's bullshit. 

Jaywalking is illegal. Should we start throwing people in prison for that?

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

The amount of people in this country incarcerated for marijuana related offenses is absolutely disgusting.

yeah that number sickens me too.  until those slow-moving bureaucrats in washington can approve some funding for a coordinated nationwide marijuana task force to apprehend more of the daily abusers we’ll never get that number up to where it should be. 

3 hours ago, futureman said:

yeah that number sickens me too.  until those slow-moving bureaucrats in washington can approve some funding for a coordinated nationwide marijuana task force to apprehend more of the daily abusers we’ll never get that number up to where it should be. 

I wish there was a way to close threads at a certain point. This isn't being topped.

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Doctors shouldn’t decide which laws to follow and which ones they shouldn’t.   Not to mention that I assume he violated some medical ethics by prescribing drugs without examining the patient or their records.  

As state licensed professionals I agree with this take. Besides it's easy enough to get weed without a note from my doctor.