Alien (1979)

ztejas

I know I'm guilty of doing this, and perhaps it's in poor taste to create additional threads, but I've gotten good discussion from the other stand-outs that I've singled out - some films just seem above a lump in to the "what you've watched lately" thread. 

I had procrastinated this one and finally got around to watching it all the way through for the first time (I'm a young buck, cut me some slack).

All I can say is... wow. Easily one of the best films I've ever seen. From the direction to art direction to cinematography to pacing to screenplay - it's just quite simply one of the finest pieces of cinema I've ever seen. 

It helps that I have a strange attraction for Sigourney - but, man. Two thirds of the way through and it had easily entered my top 25 - after the conclusion I had to ponder if it deserved a spot in my top 10. 

Considering this came out in 1979 it ages unbelievably well. The last time I felt this emotionally blown away and stunned by a tour de force such as this was after watching the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. There are some movies that are so artfully done and so visceral that they make you take a few minutes after watching to gather yourself and contemplate what you just saw.

Alien, you are one of those movies. Props, and I will assuredly be rewatching at somepoint down the line. Again - recommend the blu-ray or the rip. 

Discuss. 

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How can this movie be 40 years old.

It's quite honestly baffling. I'm not sure I can think of another film that ages as well as Alien does. For Ridley to accomplish what he did in 1979 is a pure, unadulterated cinematic achievement in terms of visual experience. There are only a handful of scenes that show their age, and when you are talking about a sci-fi from 40 years ago that is an astounding accomplishment. Especially when you consider that the original Star Wars came out just 2 years prior and they look like they were made 25 years apart. 

And - to piggyback on my reference - have you seen the original Texas Chainsaw? If you're looking for "nowhere to run" horror films (and to me, Alien is more of a sci-fi thriller - less of a "horror" pic) I think that is one of the films that kickstarted the entire trend. 

Edited by ztejas

One of the all timers for sure. Even the dated “future technology” doesn’t detract from the film somehow. Look at Alien: Covenant in comparison, it’s all holograms and touchscreens inside the ship, but the CRT screens and clunky keyboards in Alien still work. Weaver is amazing in Alien and Aliens, proof that there have been great powerful roles for great women actors for decades if you write a good story (F you TLJ).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

I know I'm guilty of doing this, and perhaps it's in poor taste to create additional threads, but I've gotten good discussion from the other stand-outs that I've singled out - some films just seem above a lump in to the "what you've watched lately" thread. 

I had procrastinated this one and finally got around to watching it all the way through for the first time (I'm a young buck, cut me some slack).

All I can say is... wow. Easily one of the best films I've ever seen. From the direction to art direction to cinematography to pacing to screenplay - it's just quite simply one of the finest pieces of cinema I've ever seen. 

It helps that I have a strange attraction for Sigourney - but, man. Two thirds of the way through and it had easily entered my top 25 - after the conclusion I had to ponder if it deserved a spot in my top 10. 

Considering this came out in 1979 it ages unbelievably well. The last time I felt this emotionally blown away and stunned by a tour de force such as this was after watching the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. There are some movies that are so artfully done and so visceral that they make you take a few minutes after watching to gather yourself and contemplate what you just saw.

Alien, you are one of those movies. Props, and I will assuredly be rewatching at somepoint down the line. Again - recommend the blu-ray or the rip. 

Discuss. 

You just now watched Alien for the first time...

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This and The Thing really nailed the nowhere to run horror motif. 

This. Follow up Alien with The Thing if you haven't seen it already. 

And you're strangely attracted to Sigourney because she will take you to pound town after whipping your ass in a game of Trivial Pursuit. There's not a damn thing wrong with that.

51 minutes ago, XYZ said:

You just now watched Alien for the first time...

Yes, thank you for the riveting commentary. Was that not clear in my post? I haven't had decades to catch up on everything like most of you.

Do you want to measure dicks because I'm sure I can list plenty of films you haven't seen.

45 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I think that scene of her stripping down in the escape ship is one of the sexiest ever filmed.

God I feel so validated right now. I thought my Sigourney boner was taboo.

Yes. That scene was great. Thin-white-t-shirt-no-bra and all.

7 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

One of the all timers for sure. Even the dated “future technology” doesn’t detract from the film somehow. Look at Alien: Covenant in comparison, it’s all holograms and touchscreens inside the ship, but the CRT screens and clunky keyboards in Alien still work. Weaver is amazing in Alien and Aliens, proof that there have been great powerful roles for great women actors for decades if you write a good story (F you TLJ).

I think the CRTs & keyboards you mention, etc, work so well at least in part because they're realistic in the sense that it's an industrial ship run by a big corporation that's averse to spending where they don't need to. In that sense they got the feel of it just spot on. You could replace the CRTs & crappy keyboards with the current cutting edge, but still give it that no-frills, obsolete, "barely-working, long overdue for replacement" look and feel, and it would come out the same way. They absolutely knocked it out of the park.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

Whereas Aliens was distinctly an action flick (is there any other James Cameron setting?), Alien was absolutely a chilling horror slow burn that happened to be set in space.  The first sequences with the camera roving through the empty corridors of the ship will always be masterful to me to begin building tension, with the payoff being the "chestburster" scene (which, in itself, is a masterful scene of editing and sound design).  

+1 for Alien and The Thing being masterpieces of genre-bending horror that don't get enough respect in the horror canon and still hold up admirably.  

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Just like Terminator 1. The herky jerky stop-motion of the climax gave a young Parliament nightmares.

Terminator is a good comp, though not as artfully made. 

Both "you can run but you sure as shit can't hide" flicks. 

21 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Would be great if we had a thread for The movie you just watched.

We do, but it seems to be more of a review/suggestion thread than an actual film-discussion thread, and considering literally every superhero movie made gets its own thread and 250 replies I don't feel my etiquette on this board is lacking. 

• Like 2

great, great movie.

there's only one part in the movie where i think it's a bit lame, and if i recall correctly, they are in a hallway or some ducts or something and the alien does a jump scare and it's so obvious that it's a guy in a suit. 

but i overlook that like i overlook sonny not connecting with carlo's jaw, because the movie itself is so sublimely awesome.

23 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

.Alien-movie-poster-3.jpg

Beat me to it.

Was a senior in high school when it came out......first date for me and Mrs. BGH

Everything about that movie was ahead of its time ... even the poster.

This is the one I remember tho ...

81lrPEEJ2WL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, wood said:

I know some people like to hammer on the guy, but in just a few years, Ridley Scott completely reshaped science fiction cinema with Alien and Blade Runner. 

It’s not that “people like to hammer on the guy”, it’s that Prometheus is the worst, most disappointing piece of shit movie ever made.

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

It’s not that “people like to hammer on the guy”, it’s that Prometheus is the worst, most disappointing piece of shit movie ever made.

Sure, but for me that doesn't outweigh all the good stuff he's done. Not even close.

Don't want to derail too much but The Thing (another all time favorite of mine) was critically panned at the time. Only later was the genius appreciated.

Back on topic: SW's carpet makes a break for it in Aliens during the crew revival scene. HDTV has done some good things for us.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Don't want to derail too much but The Thing (another all time favorite of mine) was critically panned at the time. Only later was the genius appreciated.

Back on topic: SW's carpet makes a break for it in Aliens during the crew revival scene. HDTV has done some good things for us.

GalaxyQuest030912.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I'm watching it later in BluRay. I'll get a screencap for you horndogs.

Edited by ztejas
No spoilers dickheads

I was watching it in a crowded theater when it came out. It's a fabulous movie.

About halfway through, the sound cut out during an intense sequence. After a minute of silence I said, loud enough for all to hear, "In space, no one can hear you scream."

I was a comic genius there for a few seconds. There was even applause.  I think I peaked that day.

• Like 4