Joe Burrow v. Sam Ehlinger

sushihorn

I started to respond to @Kyrie Eleison in another thread where he was talking up Joe Burrow.  Before realizing it, I'd done a complete statistical comparison to Sam. 🤣 

Despite my best intentions to wait for the fall to do a writeup gonna leave it here instead of sitting on it for 7 months.  Significant difference are highlighted.

Sam Ehlinger (Joe Burrow)

3,292 yds (2,894) -398 yds

64.7% completions (57.8%) -6.9%

7.7 yds PA (7.6 YPA)  -0.1

25 TDs (16) -9 TDs

5.9% TD ratio (4.2%) -1.7% TD ratio

6 INTs (5) -1 INT

1.41% INT ratio (1.32%) -0.09% INT ratio

26 sacks (35) +9 sacks

5.76% sack ratio (8.46%) +2.70% sack ratio

146.8 QBR (133.2) -13.6 QBR

678 rushing yds (589) -89 yds - sacks excluded

4.9 YPC (6.3) +1.4 YPC

16 rush TDs (7) -9 TDs

Burrow has no significant advantage over Sam in any passing category.  Sam has large advantages in completion percentage, passing TDs, TD ratio, sacks, sack ratio and QBR.  Burrow has a better per carry average running the ball.  this is offset by Sam's greater scoring ability and bigger threat in short yardage generally.

In most passing stats, Burrow is below average even in the SEC - which we've seen doesn't really challenge QBs to make tough reads.  He's #12 of 14 in pass efficiency, #8 in YPA, #11 in completion % and #10 in TDs passing.  Joe Burrow does 2 things very well: ball security and situational running.  Outside of that, he's quite average. 

Burrow is a gritty dual-threat guy who's enough of a passer you can't totally load up against the run.  Unlike Jake Fromm, he's mobile and doesn't lose a lot of accuracy when forced to throw in the move.  Joe Burrow is a good fit for LSU's offense but he's no Sam Ehlinger.

Edited by sushihorn
  • Like 8

Sam Ehlinger is a dual threat QB whose running is key to the effectiveness of our passing game, this opening up the offense. We are a more effective passing team than running team at this point. 

Joe Burrow is a game managing QB in a running offense whose passing serves primarily to move the chains on third down in third and long situations. 

• Like 1

Lsu is fucked next year. Brousette is gone, so who is their RB? They have Terrace Williams, but can Burrow get him the ball? Texas has proven it can work over an SEC offense and defense. 

Marshall? lol...he was 8th in yards this year (12 for 192).

Emery and Davis will easily replace Brossette...RB is the easiest position to plug and play true frosh. and both are studs, and while I love NB for his commitment both far surpass Brossette in talent. and they’ll be running behind a veteran line.

bottom line...we finished 6th this year, and return 18 starters and 39 of 44 on the two deep. we’re far from fucked.

1 hour ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

Marshall? lol...he was 8th in yards this year (12 for 192).

Emery and Davis will easily replace Brossette...RB is the easiest position to plug and play true frosh. and both are studs, and while I love NB for his commitment both far surpass Brossette in talent. and they’ll be running behind a veteran line.

bottom line...we finished 6th this year, and return 18 starters and 39 of 44 on the two deep. we’re far from fucked.

No doubt about talent, but we play y'all pretty early and it takes RB's, even elite ones to adjust. We shut down swift and holyfield, so I think we can do the same with Emery. I'm sure the next year we play it'll be a different, but next year I'm not too worried. Burrow, imo, is below average. My only concern is your defense. Is it better than Georgia? Probably, but they don't see many running QB's like Sam. It should be a good, close game. Not being biased, but I see Texas taking this game just because it's early. 

No doubt about talent, but we play y'all pretty early and it takes RB's, even elite ones to adjust. We shut down swift and holyfield, so I think we can do the same with Emery. I'm sure the next year we play it'll be a different, but next year I'm not too worried. Burrow, imo, is below average. My only concern is your defense. Is it better than Georgia? Probably, but they don't see many running QB's like Sam. It should be a good, close game. Not being biased, but I see Texas taking this game just because it's early. 

you know, we played the leghumpers, too. and I recall us putting a bigger asswhipping on them than you all did.

and we do see QBs like SE...one Nick Fitzgerald comes to mind. you should investigate that particular stat line.

you lose a whole lot more on both sides of the ball than we do. given your premise that RBs can’t adjust, one would be wise to take that into consideration with all the positions you’re replacing.

1 minute ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

you know, we played the leghumpers, too. and I recall us putting a bigger asswhipping on them than you all did.

and we do see QBs like SE...one Nick Fitzgerald comes to mind. you should investigate that particular stat line.

you lose a whole lot more on both sides of the ball than we do. given your premise that RBs can’t adjust, one would be wise to take that into consideration with all the positions you’re replacing.

Sure. I'm not predicting a blowout by any means. I'm just saying it'll be close and I think with Sam being a junior and us getting CJ9 back, it'll be a game. 

49 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

Are we talking about the "quarterback" from Miss St Nick Fitzgerald?  The guy who barely completed 50% of his passes?  They guy who throws for a little over 6 YPA Nick Fitzgerald?  That guy is a wildcat RB doing a poor imitation of a QB.  He's even worse than Joe Burrow and doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Sam Ehlinger.  At least Burrow throws well enough to make the secondary play coverage.  Fitzgerald isn't even that good.  He's the definition of a one dimensional player who let's an opposing D load the box.  LSU has a good enough defense to decimate MSU's running game with that guy back there.  Nobody was dumb enough to play that kind of D against Sam.

• Like 2

Those stats don’t tell you everything.  If you’ve watched Burrow you know he has been pretty clutch.  Meaning he tends to make plays on important third downs and when the momentum has swung the other way and they need a big play.  He also throws a pretty accurate deep ball.  That’s one area in which Sam still needs improvement and is probably not as good as Burrow.  It’s going to be a challenge to move the ball against a very motivated and talented LSU defense, especially as we try to figure out who Sams best second option is when they double CJ.  On defense we will be facing a more mobile QB than Fromm is.  This will be every bit the challenge Georgia was and with hindsight probably a bigger one.  Beating Georgia’s ass on Jan 1 is of limited value as a predictor imo. 

The thing I worry about with LSU's defense is they typically don't have the big, non pass rushing lugs like Georgia. Their Dline is more akin to a Big 12 Dline in that they're a bit smaller and really get after QBs. That and their entire defense is usually fit for speed and will be pretty good in pass coverage.

12 hours ago, hookemATL said:

I respect your right to have an opinion but you should go fuck your mother. 

So you're saying he should move to Arkansas?

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Everyone here would’ve given their left nut to have had Joe Burrow at UT for any year in this decade prior to this past season.

This.  No, he's not Sam, escpecially not in the having the other team's best tacklers bounce off of him department.  

That said, let's also not pretend that Burrow had some of Sam's weapons (LJH, CJ to be exact) nor did he enjoy anywhere near the offensive scheme or playcalling.  Put Sam in that offense and you'd see a decline in everyone of the categories listed in the OP.

If I'm betting money, I'm putting it on Texas in this matchup, but this idea that LSU has little to no chance in the game is fucking laughable.

Am I on a Georgia site? 

Edited by Cajun

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Everyone here would’ve given their left nut to have had Joe Burrow at UT for any year in this decade prior to this past season.

To be fair, I’d have given my left nut for us to have a cigar store Indian with wheels on the bottom. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Did anyone make such a statement on this thread?

This thread?  No.

The thread this one dovetailed from?  Yeah.

There were just a few, but the one that got me chirping...

so Greedy and one OL leaving early, anyone else?  Their QB sucks and UT will stop their lame offense.  I'm very confident about a Texas win. 

3 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:
13 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Read more  

The thing I worry about with LSU's defense is they typically don't have the big, non pass rushing lugs like Georgia. Their Dline is more akin to a Big 12 Dline in that they're a bit smaller and really get after QBs. That and their entire defense is usually fit for speed and will be pretty good in pass coverage.

So do you think they're better built for our offense, or will we scheme better against their d (a la Georgia)? We get them early, and we have newer D players coming in, so they don't have a lot of tape on us. What do you think the outcome will be?

They're definitely better built for our offense and spread offenses in general.  Over the past few years it has been the more rugged,  tough running teams who have given them problems (ala Wisconsin, Mississippi St, Bama etc), that's why their blowout win of Georgia was somewhat shocking.  Regardless their garbage,  1980s, middle school,  waggle offense should keep us in the game.  

7 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Because I'm an irrational message board poster.

So there!

Cool.  I'm totally used to off-topic overreaction.  Had a crazy GF once where the exchange went something like this:

Me: Told my folks about you.  They said you sounded a lot like [Asian female cousin], only white.

Her:  I am not fat!

Me: (non=verbally) WTF have I done?!?

As long as I know what to expect it's no problem.