Joe Burrow v. Sam Ehlinger

sushihorn

I have no doubt Joe Burrow is a good enough QB. I further believe the receivers are likewise talented.

The "OL has a tough time in pass protection" is a deal breaker. You either can pass protect or you can't. If you can't, the defense sits around 7 yards from the LOS and makes your life miserable. RBs can't run misdirection because of the swarming bodies. You can't throw quick slants because there's too many DBs in your field of vision to risk a pick 6.

Once again, Texas fans are familiar with this concept. You can win games this way, living off running N/S between the tackles. However, you have to play almost flawlessly on both sides of the ball, and usually your opponent has to help out a bit.

Texas fans are pinning their own hopes of offensive resurgence on continuity of the OL. The redshirted players that spent a year growing and learning rather than plugging holes in the roster. When the OL can hold for a 4 count, the playbook triples in size with the same players on the field.

I see LSU and Texas as both having the same ideas both offensively and defensively. I just see the Texas offense as a year further into the system.

Another interesting compare between the two is how well they do as they get behind the down count.

Burrow gets progressively worse as he moves from 1st to 3rd down. Sam actually improves his completion % as he moves from 1st to 3rd down.

image.png.2c2451082014d501b70085a3a3d4c4a1.png

Both QB's attempted roughly same % of passes by down. In addition Sam despite having ~50 more passes than Burrow on the season he had a much better completion %.

Key to beating LSU will be to get Burrow in 3rd down situations.  Especially 3rd down and long

image.png.0e0f47960a13fa664f9d5bd614b00ca3.png

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Another interesting compare between the two is how well they do as they get behind the down count.

Burrow gets progressively worse as he moves from 1st to 3rd down. Sam actually improves his completion % as he moves from 1st to 3rd down.

image.png.2c2451082014d501b70085a3a3d4c4a1.png

Both QB's attempted roughly same % of passes by down. In addition Sam despite having ~50 more passes than Burrow on the season he had a much better completion %.

Key to beating LSU will be to get Burrow in 3rd down situations.  Especially 3rd down and long

image.png.0e0f47960a13fa664f9d5bd614b00ca3.png

Have to be careful interpreting stats. Last season, the Texas OL was pretty good. LSU's OL had a season similar to Texas in 2017 with multiple injuries and shifting players around. There is also the context of 2018 being his first season at LSU.

12 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Have to be careful interpreting stats. Last season, the Texas OL was pretty good. LSU's OL had a season similar to Texas in 2017 with multiple injuries and shifting players around. There is also the context of 2018 being his first season at LSU.

Sure, however it wouldn't appear that the LSU OL is better this year than last based on a) injuries b) not being recruited for the system they are running. If LSU were putting in a dink/dunk move the chain type of Air Raid he might see his Comp % increase. It sounds like it is a "beat them deep" offense being put in. This will need LSU's OL to be able to hold up potentially even longer than what they had to do last year.

I think Burrow is who he is. A decent D1 QB. I do not see him on same level of the QB play that is in Big12 regularly or the top end of SEC. At end of the day I believe that Sam is a better QB. It is his 3rd year in system, it is a home game etc etc. Burrow will really have to take a major step up after he has missed camp time, is installing a new offense and on the road to come in and light up Texas. I am really looking forward to game and if it was being played in BR I would probably give LSU the nod. Just not at DKR and not this year.

6 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I appreciate your analysis, but this can be said of every defense in every game 

difference is Sam actually thrives in 3rd and Long vs Burrow who shrinks.

To be fair that may have been the LJH factor for Sam last year. Will be interesting to see if he can maintain that level of 3rd and long performance this year.

• 4 months later...

Burrow's accuracy, especially on the run, dwarfs Sam's.  I like Sam's ability to put his head down and run, but come on, if we're talking about elite college QBs, much less NFL prospects, Burrow has it all over Sam.

That said, I actually think Sam will make an NFL team.  Will he be a consistent starter?  I seriously doubt it. 

Sam could not make the throws Burrow makes.  He was hitting NFL sized windows.
His football iq / vision / decision-making is just as impressive as his accuracy, and that's saying a lot. One little mistake on defense, and he'll see it and exploit it. He'll keep plays alive with his feet and wait until someone comes open.
  • Like 2

Sushihorn, the king of superior sounding intellectual thoughts and posts that end up being completely fucking wrong for over a decade now.  You see that guy post something don't get sucked in by all the bullshit intellectual shit...run like hell. Not because he's a bad guy or anything, he means well...he's just ALWAYS fucking wrong.  

• Like 2

Sushihorn, the king of superior sounding intellectual thoughts and posts that end up being completely fucking wrong for over a decade now.  You see that guy post something don't get sucked in by all the bullshit intellectual shit...run like hell. Not because he's a bad guy or anything, he means well...he's just ALWAYS fucking wrong.  
People who have the courage to voice their opinions will get stuff wrong. Sushi is vocal and emphatic and supports his arguments with evidence. He's right more than he's wrong. I don't get your hate.
  • Like 7

Burrow makes throws Sam could not even dream of making. Sam is afraid to make any throws that are even semi difficult.

Joe throws balls that would be ints at the next level like Mayfield did because of his WRs are good enough. Sam is impeded by the play calling and the WR play.

You conclusions all wrong. Burrow acted foolishly.

• Haha 1

Joe throws balls that would be ints at the next level like Mayfield did because of his WRs are good enough. Sam is impeded by the play calling and the WR play.

You’re partially right. Burrow has better play calling and wrs. He not making a lot of difficult throws in traffic. Sam has made some this year, but they were probably shitty decisions.

Burrow throws a much better ball than Sam though. He hits guys in stride and on target. He’s not making them dive, go to the ground or stop to catch the ball.

On 1/11/2019 at 7:35 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

Lsu is fucked next year. Brousette is gone, so who is their RB? They have Terrace Williams, but can Burrow get him the ball? Texas has proven it can work over an SEC offense and defense. 

Yup, those poor bastards. 

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

Regardless of what you think of Burrow, or Mayfield for that matter, they both make throws that Sam couldn’t make in his wildest dreams. Sam has “grit”, leadership qualities, toughness, etc. But his ability to throw the football makes him a poor mans Tebow.

15 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
18 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

People who have the courage to voice their opinions will get stuff wrong. Sushi is vocal and emphatic and supports his arguments with evidence. He's right more than he's wrong. I don't get your hate.

He gets my hate because he does this shit and when he’s wrong he completely disappears for a year or 2.

2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

You’re partially right. Burrow has better play calling and wrs. He not making a lot of difficult throws in traffic. Sam has made some this year, but they were probably shitty decisions.

Burrow throws a much better ball than Sam though. He hits guys in stride and on target. He’s not making them dive, go to the ground or stop to catch the ball.

this here Burrows accuracy is pin point next level,  sams passes beyond 7 yards are in the vicinity 

2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Burrow is far and away the most accurate QB I've seen this year.  You give him time and he eats your lunch.  Georgia and OU gave him lots of time.

The LSU Offensive Line won the Joe Moore award for the best line in the country, and when the defense gets one guy past them Burrow has just enough of the scrambling and escape ability to make the other team pay with big gains on plays where the right defense was called. These kinds of "broken play" situations just kill the spirit of the opposing defense. When he scrambles and his wide receivers break their routes and do the scramble drill they just always seem to get open just enough. It happened against the best defenses he has faced all year.

7 hours ago, Nivek said:

Burrow is much better than Mayfield when it comes to mechanics and throwing the ball.

When Sam has to throw the ball more than 10 yards, it's all over the place. Burrow puts it right where it needs to be.

On 1/12/2019 at 2:17 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

If we're even debating Burrow vs Ehlinger the SEC propaganda has already had a devastating effect.  JFC, there's no comparison.  The problem is all the shit that doesn't show up on the stat sheet truly separates the two.  I think TxPete said Burrow is a game manager whereas Ehlinger actually wins you the damn game.  That gets to the point.  And if I'm being honest, Ehlinger annoys the shit out of me but a winner, he is. 

Man was I wrong! Burrow in Brady’s offense is on another level. Burrow is incredibly accurate. Far more accurate than Sam will ever be. They are probably equally competitive, but Burrow’s skills are just better than Sam’s. 

The LSU Offensive Line won the Joe Moore award for the best line in the country, and when the defense gets one guy past them Burrow has just enough of the scrambling and escape ability to make the other team pay with big gains on plays where the right defense was called. These kinds of "broken play" situations just kill the spirit of the opposing defense. When he scrambles and his wide receivers break their routes and do the scramble drill they just always seem to get open just enough. It happened against the best defenses he has faced all year.

They seem open just enough “ because his accuracy and he also has good ability to throw receivers open. I’m not sure if I’ve seen a NCAA qb with his ability to find the 3-4-5 option on a play.

Burrow seems like a douche and his heisman speech where he cried the entire time was pathetic. Man the fuck up. 

None of that changes the fact that he’s the best college QB this season. As far as QB abilities go there’s no comparison at all between him and sam. 

I’ll take a speech like Burrow gave over Lamar Jackson’s

On 12/28/2019 at 7:19 PM, Surly Bevo said:

I know, that you're actually talking about me here, and I appreciate your coding.

Burrow is a great example of a kid with good talent that had the brain power and maturity to realize he wasn't going to start immediately at any of the schools he chose to go to out of HS.  Instead of bitching and complaining he used his abilities to take all the education he was receiving in the QB room and practice and apply it repetitiously throughout his time in Columbus and BR.  Then you bring in a real fucking coach who could maximize those same skills and maturity and waaahhhhlaaaaaaaahhhh, you get Joe Burrows Heisman season.

Back in the day, this was normal.  Now every mfer thinks he's playing the first snap of his freshman season or he's walking.  Patience young grasshopper.