Joe Burrow v. Sam Ehlinger

sushihorn

7 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Man was I wrong! Burrow in Brady’s offense is on another level. Burrow is incredibly accurate. Far more accurate than Sam will ever be. They are probably equally competitive, but Burrow’s skills are just better than Sam’s. 

Same lol.  Burrow had his foot up my ass on that one. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 6:36 PM, trza-hawk said:

The LSU Offensive Line won the Joe Moore award for the best line in the country, and when the defense gets one guy past them Burrow has just enough of the scrambling and escape ability to make the other team pay with big gains on plays where the right defense was called. These kinds of "broken play" situations just kill the spirit of the opposing defense. When he scrambles and his wide receivers break their routes and do the scramble drill they just always seem to get open just enough. It happened against the best defenses he has faced all year.

Fatball

On 12/29/2019 at 11:42 AM, Jkwellborn said:

He’s not making them dive, go to the ground or stop to catch the ball.

That's what's driven me nuts about Sam since he started playing. I've lost count of how many should-have-been long TD's he's hit due to the WR having to make a tough catch and forgoing additional yardage in order to (necessarily) do so, or just flat out missing an open guy. It's the exact opposite problem of the GDGD era: had QB's that could hit guys in stride, but they'd always be blanketed because GD basically telegraphed their fucking routes all the time.

• Like 3

At least he'll go play for the Bengals next season and we won't have to play him again. 
Ehlinger is a good place holder QB but we need one of Herman's recruits to be big time NFL level legit. 

Sam has numerous records here, he is hardly a place holder like Case/Ash.

That's what's driven me nuts about Sam since he started playing. I've lost count of how many should-have-been long TD's he's hit due to the WR having to make a tough catch and forgoing additional yardage in order to (necessarily) do so, or just flat out missing an open guy. It's the exact opposite problem of the GDGD era: had QB's that could hit guys in stride, but they'd always be blanketed because GD basically telegraphed their fucking routes all the time.

I mentioned the same thing a while back with regard to his accuracy. Guys trotted out his completion percentage as proof that he was accurate.

Placeholder in the sense he's not a title winning or contending level QB. He's more a David Ash who can stay healthy not a Vince or Colt. We need one of Herman's QB recruits to be title challenger level. 

Colt got us to a title game and earned it for another hear least stupid bcs/conference rules, bad officiating, and injuries all coming together for 2008.

Sam is plenty good enough. Talent around him is suspect in spite of what our fans like to think.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

I mentioned the same thing a while back with regard to his accuracy. Guys trotted out his completion percentage as proof that he was accurate.

I mean there's a lot that goes into completion percentage. Yes, one of them is "have a guy that can get the ball there." But you also need guys who get in the right place, guys who can catch the ball, OL who can ward off DL from knocking shit down at the line, not having to play a hell of a lot of NFL-bound DB's, having a play caller that keeps the D honest enough to where they can't pin their ears and run to spots instead of having to rely on their athleticism to keep up with WR's, etc. Sam could have a better % than Colt and I'd still be saying the same thing you are, and for that exact reason. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2019 at 11:48 AM, Junior Miller said:

Placeholder in the sense he's not a title winning or contending level QB. He's more a David Ash who can stay healthy not a Vince or Colt. We need one of Herman's QB recruits to be title challenger level. 

You do such a great job of impersonating your name sake

Both are good qbs. Burrow obviously had the better year.

But Sam may be a sleeper. He's been solid, sometimes rock solid, other times not as much. But who knows what he may do at the next level with good guidance?

Sam's been good, if not great, for Texas. 

Thank you for your service, Sam.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

But Sam may be a sleeper. He's been solid, sometimes rock solid, other times not as much. But who knows what he may do at the next level with good guidance?

Burrow's a #1 overall pick QB. Sam's a lucky to get a shot as an UFA. Massive gulf in talent between them. 

Sam's a good soldier but we need a first round pick QB. Right now this coming weekend is a game between the only two active Big 12 QBs with any NFL playoff wins - Tannehill and Mahomes both have 2. That's disgustingly sad for a big 12 state that puts out NFL QBs like crazy. 

54 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Ehlinger is a good QB.  Burrow is a great QB.

1 hour ago, Asithappens said:

Sam has been good for Texas, not great. Maybe he's great compared to what else we have had this decade but that does not make him great. Great was VY and Colt.

Joe Burrow vs Roger Staubach

I’m impressed with LSU’s offense. The system, their pass protection, their skill players. Burrow was very decisive and his dropping dimes along the sideline was impressive.

The question I have is this: Is Joe Burrow the #1 pick if he played for Vanderbilt? He will not enjoy a schematic or talent advantage in Cincy.

And against Pittsburgh, you bail the pocket consistently you will get killed. Not there anymore, but James Harrison was a major factor in sidetracking both Colt and Vince Young’s careers. That division is no joke.

I’m impressed with LSU’s offense. The system, their pass protection, their skill players. Burrow was very decisive and his dropping dimes along the sideline was impressive.

The question I have is this: Is Joe Burrow the #1 pick if he played for Vanderbilt? He will not enjoy a schematic or talent advantage in Cincy.

And against Pittsburgh, you bail the pocket consistently you will get killed. Not there anymore, but James Harrison was a major factor in sidetracking both Colt and Vince Young’s careers. That division is no joke.
we beat Staubach.

I don't watch a ton of college games outside of my own team, but I watched most of LSU in the playoff games, and god damned Burrow looked to me as one of the best QBs of all time. Maybe it was an incredible hot streak, but geez, he showed zero weakness. Is he a sure first overall pick?  

7 minutes ago, MrPhlegm said:
10 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Read more  

we beat Staubach.

Yep, postgame he said he had never been knocked on his butt that much before (courtesy of Tommy Nobis, Scott Appleton,, et al.).

Edited by Armybrat

The one thing I would do if I was Cincinnati is pay whatever it takes to get Brady out of LSU and keep him with Burrow. He got that kid to be extremely accurate and show a level that he had never come close to showing before. If you're going to make him the number one pick it's worth whatever it costs to get Brady to come along as well

36 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I don't watch a ton of college games outside of my own team, but I watched most of LSU in the playoff games, and god damned Burrow looked to me as one of the best QBs of all time. Maybe it was an incredible hot streak, but geez, he showed zero weakness. Is he a sure first overall pick?  

I think so.

I also think it was lightning in a bottle for LSU. Scheme, QB, and offensive teammates. Everything came together at the right time for them. I'm envious, but I doubt the new starter next year will be able to replicate what Burrow did at the same level Burrow did it. I could certainly be wrong.

24 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I'm envious, but I doubt the new starter next year will be able to replicate what Burrow did at the same level Burrow did it. I could certainly be wrong.

I said the exact same thing when Baker Mayfield left OU. 

But Burrow.... man, he was unbelievable. I've never seen a guy improve that much from one year to the next. He made every read, was uncanny with his accuracy especially on long throws, he avoided pressure and kept plays alive with his feet, and he probably had the two biggest plays of the game on QB draws. Kid is a baller. Credit to him and the LSU staff. What an amazing job. What a great team. Glad we don't have to see his ass again next year in Baton Rouge.

27 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

But Burrow.... man, he was unbelievable. I've never seen a guy improve that much from one year to the next. He made every read, was uncanny with his accuracy especially on long throws, he avoided pressure and kept plays alive with his feet, and he probably had the two biggest plays of the game on QB draws. Kid is a baller. Credit to him and the LSU staff. What an amazing job. What a great team. Glad we don't have to see his ass again next year in Baton Rouge.

How many starters return next year?

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

How many starters return next year?

on paper, 8 offense, 7 defense.

on defense, Divinity, Lawrence and Fulton are seniors.  Fehoko was a part-time starter, so we'll add him, too.  Delpit will definitely declare...50/50 for Phillips and Queen.  my gut says Chaisson may very well return. 

offense, Burrow and both guards (Magee and Lewis).  Jefferson will declare, and probably CEH.  i think the rest of our OL sticks around.

Edited by Kyrie Eleison

2 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

on paper, 8 offense, 8 defense.

on defense, Divinity, Lawrence and Fehoko are seniors.  Fehoko was a part-time starter, but we'll add him anyway.  Delpit will definitely declare...50/50 for Phillips and Queen.  my gut says Chaisson may very well return. 

offense, Burrow and both guards (Magee and Lewis).  Jefferson will declare, and probably CEH.  i think the rest of our OL sticks around.

your RB , who was only a 3* Rivals is probably gone.  Jefferson was only a 2*, the lowest guy on the 2017 class, and look at him now.  What about JR Moss?

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

that 3rd and 17 is forgivable. Texas went up against one of the best qbs of all time.

Just now, NowThis said:

your RB , who was only a 3* Rivals is probably gone.  Jefferson was only a 2*, the lowest guy on the 2017 class, and look at him now.  What about JR Moss?

i named both of them...CEH is the running back.  

Moss is hard to say; he sat out under the old transfer rules two years ago and missed last year due to injury.  this was his only full collegiate season...much like Chaisson.  so who knows...wouldn't be surprised either way.

i'd like him to stay obviously...especially to help out incoming frosh Arik Gilbert.

On 12/28/2019 at 7:19 PM, Surly Bevo said:

Sushihorn, the king of superior sounding intellectual thoughts and posts that end up being completely fucking wrong for over a decade now.  You see that guy post something don't get sucked in by all the bullshit intellectual shit...run like hell. Not because he's a bad guy or anything, he means well...he's just ALWAYS fucking wrong.  

cracks me up how many OP's he has with 80 pos reps and everyone eating it all up, only for the thread to be bumped a year later to see that OP was...not right. 

5 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

cracks me up how many OP's he has with 80 pos reps and everyone eating it all up, only for the thread to be bumped a year later to see that OP was...not right. 

I think sushihorn (wherever he is) is generally a good poster. At least he puts his opinions out there and sticks with them.

5 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Again, my hat's off to Joe Burrow. He elevated his game big time this year in an offense that suited him perfectly. LSU was unstoppable. It was something to watch.

its crazy, we were one turnover or punt from beating those guys.

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

He's had an off year, but generally his content is pretty good. I think a lot of us have had an off year. I certainly didn't expect 7-5.