Dan Crenshaw

Ted Lange

On 8/18/2019 at 7:11 PM, elfenix said:

is there anyway we can get this assclown out of congress next election?  i'm almost to the point that kathaleen wall may not  have been the worst option in this district.

Seems unlikely he will lose. He runs on being a SEAL and losing his eye during his service. And he won even with Beto running in 2016. Unless there is extra hatred for trump in his district, he should win again. 

You would have to guess that his district will be drastically redrawn for 2022 but they may protect him even more by redrawing in a district without central Houston. Hard to believe that he represents Montrose.

Rachel Bitcofer includes TX-2 in her list of the top 18 Republican districts most likely to flip with 9 in Texas. She does so because 47.1% of the voting age population in TX-2 is college educated and only 48.7% white.

I think that she makes the general mistake that all college educated Texans follow the national pattern when she should subtract aggies from the percentage of college educated in Texas to get a more accurate prediction.

The Cook PVI is still +11 so even with the generic ballot at +9 it looks to me like Democrats will fall short of winning there. The Republican vote would have to be seriously depressed and  Democrats would need a great candidate to even make it a close race.   

On 8/20/2019 at 4:01 AM, RayDog said:

Rachel Bitcofer includes TX-2 in her list of the top 18 Republican districts most likely to flip with 9 in Texas. She does so because 47.1% of the voting age population in TX-2 is college educated and only 48.7% white.

I think that she makes the general mistake that all college educated Texans follow the national pattern when she should subtract aggies from the percentage of college educated in Texas to get a more accurate prediction.

The Cook PVI is still +11 so even with the generic ballot at +9 it looks to me like Democrats will fall short of winning there. The Republican vote would have to be seriously depressed and  Democrats would need a great candidate to even make it a close race.   

This is correct.  It's very gerrymandered to include chunks of the northwest/north Houston burbs that are HEAVILY aggy. 

If Crenshaw is serious, several things will need to go his way.  First, he will need  a booty of treasure and catch a good wind in his sails early.  Hopefully he builds a good plank of positions and doesn't just parrot the typical boring talking points.  A monocular -like focus on his goals and ability to hook a crowd will also be needed for a successful presidential rum.

Edited by Horn Dog
  • Like 2

On 8/20/2019 at 4:01 AM, RayDog said:

Well, you’re making the mistake of including aggy in the college-educated category. 

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Well, you’re making the mistake of including aggy in the college-educated category. 

I pointed out that she made that mistake, not me. Her mistake is also relevant to the other 8 Texas races she listed.

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

I'm sure everyone in Montrose will be lined up at the start of the run wishing him luck. 

What could possibly go wrong when Dan Crenshaw is walking along a road in hostile territory? 

And he's my congressman, so I can say that. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

2.5 hour interview with Joe Rogan. I plan to watch/listen at some point.  To be honest, I don't know Crenshaw's views on anything. I gather he previously ran on GOP talking points as politics have become so nationalized these days. In a long form interview, you have to make real statements.

43 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

3 million less people voted for Trump and the Senate is set up to favor states with more land than people. The minority is bossing around the majority. 

Go fuck yourself in your eyehole, Dan. 

• Like 1

Equating McCain and Crenshaw on the same level is ridiculous. The far far right is just as rabid insane as the far far left. I am not advocating both sides. I am noting, with irony, that while this thread rightfully lambasts Crenshaw, there are loonies in the extreme right who excoriate him for perceiving him as failing their purity tests.

On 8/18/2019 at 10:11 AM, RomaVicta said:

I see he is a true GOP: irony deaf and dishonest. 

SEALs have become the mythological ex-marine of the 21st Century. Just by invoking that qualification, the huge contingent of insecure-adolescentoids of the right get their vicarious he-man on. At the bottom of the adoration is the anti-intellectual thrust of "this guy can kick you ass." 

I've no doubt that SEALs laugh at this jock sniffing and are quite aware that their number includes the same fractions of misguided intellects (they're not stupid people) who shouldn't be trusted running any part of the country as any other group.

A buddy of mine -- 10 years in the army, combat tours in Bosnia and Iraq -- now works for the CRS, the Congressional Research Service. He's a security analyst who appears on C-Span every now and then. You might know him from such films as....whatever they call that shit that's always on C-Span. Anyway, he told me he once when day-drinking with a bunch of SEALs in some famous DC tavern. He said they got a heroes welcome when they walked in, but over time, as the drink flowed and the SEALs' tongues loosened, my buddy said that the other drinkers inthere were literally moving as far away from them as they could. My buddy said these dudes were bragging about and laughing at all the atrocities they'd committed in combat, and in that bar on that day they entered as heroes and left as pariahs. 

On 8/18/2019 at 10:11 AM, RomaVicta said:

I see he is a true GOP: irony deaf and dishonest. 

SEALs have become the mythological ex-marine of the 21st Century. Just by invoking that qualification, the huge contingent of insecure-adolescentoids of the right get their vicarious he-man on. At the bottom of the adoration is the anti-intellectual thrust of "this guy can kick you ass." 

I've no doubt that SEALs laugh at this jock sniffing and are quite aware that their number includes the same fractions of misguided intellects (they're not stupid people) who shouldn't be trusted running any part of the country as any other group.

dp

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

I listened to some of Crenshaw on Joe Rohan talking about gun control, and he’s as closed minded as they come. He says that he won’t agree on any approach that infringes on the rights of law abiding gun owners.  

If that is the GOP criteria, then I don’t know they agree on any background checks, or laws preventing ex-cons or mentally ill people from buying guns. 

He also refuses to say that anyone with a rifle, like a AR, is a threat because, according to him, it’s easy for anyone to physically disarm that person. 

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

He seems out of touch 

He seems like a fucking retard.  And yet AOC is going to ruin this country with her "extremist" ideas.  

We literally found out this week that the Odessa shooter failed a background check so he went through a private dealer.  Therefore, if you fail or might fail a background check, just ask Dan Crenshaw if you can borrow his guns prior to your killing spree. 

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This exchange is interesting. Upon the heels of Chicago mayor Lightfoot exhorting Ted Cruz to "keep our name out of your mouth." In her tweet, the mayor used a graph that displayed gun sourcing for Chicago wherein police had recovered guns used in crimes or during arrests. Being a curious sort, I located the source of her graph which came from a publication (*Gun Trace Report 2017) produced by the Chicago Police Department. In that publication, there was a section that discussed how many guns are "borrowed" from relatives and friends.

Although data transparency is lacking to fully understand the vast illegal networks involved in the chain of custody of crime guns, combining surveys of convicted gun offenders with the type of trace data included in this report provides an important perspective on the illegal gun markets in and around Chicago. Again, with 95 percent of traces coming back to someone other than the criminal possessor, it is clear that intermediaries involved in secondary market sales play a significant role in placing firearms into the illegal marketplace. A recent survey of adult offenders in Cook County Jail indicates that the vast majority of illegally used or possessed firearms are obtained through an offender’s social network, family, or other personal connections.

Only 60 percent of those firearms were actually purchased for cash, the remaining 40 percent were traded, shared, or temporarily loaned to the offender, sometimes due to the fact that the gun was previously used in a crime. It is difficult to track the chain of custody as guns travel through illegal markets, and it is common for investigators to hear a suspected straw purchaser or trafficker assert that the gun was lost or stolen from them – often used as an excuse intended to cut off further investigation.

The report is quite interesting and lays out some of the problems states and the nation face when confronting gun trafficking and crimes.

*https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/city/depts/mayor/Press Room/Press Releases/2017/October/GTR2017.pdf

On 8/31/2019 at 11:51 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I listened to some of Crenshaw on Joe Rohan talking about gun control, and he’s as closed minded as they come. He says that he won’t agree on any approach that infringes on the rights of law abiding gun owners.  

If that is the GOP criteria, then I don’t know they agree on any background checks, or laws preventing ex-cons or mentally ill people from buying guns. 

He also refuses to say that anyone with a rifle, like a AR, is a threat because, according to him, it’s easy for anyone to physically disarm that person. 

If it's so easy to physically disarm someone with an assault rifle then why do we need guns in the first place?

• Like 1