Comic Books

MillerEP

Hey Comic Book nerds, I paid for a month subscription of DC Universe because I wanted to watch the "Titans" tv show there (it's good by the way), which expanded into a monthly subscription to Marvel Unlimited and Comixology Unlimited. Now I have this massive pantheon of 50,000+ comics at my disposal to read from DC, Marvel, Vertigo, and a couple others for at least a month and don't have a clue where to start.

Watched all the new and current  Marvel and DC movies, and all the CW/ABC/Fox/Netflix comic based shows, and a lot of the old cartoons from the 80s-90s (Superman/Batman/X-Men), but never really actually read any comic books themselves, so learn me up on some "Must Reads."

• 2 weeks later...

I've collected comics since I was a kid ( Spider Man and X-Men) and have some of the earliest issues of both.

Some of my favs during the X-Men run that are in tpb would be the Dark Pheonix Saga, X-Cutioners Song, The Phalanx Covenant, Messiah Complex, Second Coming, and the entire Age of Apocalypse is great IMO.

As for Spider Man, Kraven's Last Hunt is a must, the 1st several appearances of Venom, Maximum Carnage is pretty good.  The whole "Clone Saga" is really long.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

• 1 month later...

One of my favorite comics is "Y the Last Man" which I think is Vertigo. I think it's being made into a miniseries which is great news because it's super long. Years ago there was talk about making it into a movie starring Shia Labeouf. So glad that didn't happen. btw - I heard somewhere that modern Vertigo comics are total trash now, which is a shame.

Another good series, one that is dying to be made into a movie is "The Sword" by the Luna Brothers. That might not be in there though.

On 3/21/2019 at 10:44 AM, ajax said:

One of my favorite comics is "Y the Last Man" which I think is Vertigo. I think it's being made into a miniseries which is great news because it's super long. Years ago there was talk about making it into a movie starring Shia Labeouf. So glad that didn't happen. btw - I heard somewhere that modern Vertigo comics are total trash now, which is a shame.

Another good series, one that is dying to be made into a movie is "The Sword" by the Luna Brothers. That might not be in there though.

Love y the last man.  But saga is the best

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/11/2019 at 8:15 PM, MillerEP said:

Hey Comic Book nerds, I paid for a month subscription of DC Universe because I wanted to watch the "Titans" tv show there (it's good by the way), which expanded into a monthly subscription to Marvel Unlimited and Comixology Unlimited. Now I have this massive pantheon of 50,000+ comics at my disposal to read from DC, Marvel, Vertigo, and a couple others for at least a month and don't have a clue where to start.

Watched all the new and current  Marvel and DC movies, and all the CW/ABC/Fox/Netflix comic based shows, and a lot of the old cartoons from the 80s-90s (Superman/Batman/X-Men), but never really actually read any comic books themselves, so learn me up on some "Must Reads."

You must read House of X / Powers of X, by Jonathan Hickman, especially if you liked Claremont's peak and Morrison's run with the franchise. It's a stunning reset of the X status quo, and every X book after HoX/PoX for the next two years (barring one or two) is a banger. After Hickman's mini Inferno concludes and he leaves the X-Office, the quality gets a little more erratic, but the X-line remains the best thing going about Marvel right now. Immortal X-Men and X-Men: Red, by Kieron Gillen and Al Ewing respectively, are incredible books that are currently ongoing. Leah William's X-Factor (tragically cut short by the pandemic) is great, as is Ewing's S.W.O.R.D. For awesome one shots, check out Planet-Sized X-Men #1 and Giant-Size X-Men: Jean Grey and Emma Frost. However, if you only read one series after HoX/PoX, make it Zeb Well's Hellions, imo. Though it helps if you're familiar with 80's Claremont. Hilariously, this era of the X-Men was getting started just a little bit after you made this thread, so it's possible that you already read some of those.

Jed McKay's current run on Moon Knight is the second best run other than Warren Ellis (vomit). Lots of fun, especially if you know a lot of the history of the character. McKay's Black Cat is a heist comic that is a great easy and fun read, too. As as his 5 issue Taskmaster mini.

Al Ewing's 50-issue run of Immortal Hulk from a couple of years ago is maybe the best 50 issue run of any comic writer/group of artists in the history of the medium. It single-handedly made me give a shit about the Hulk for the first time in my life. And if you like body horror...hoo boy does this series have it.

Rainbow Rowell's current ongoing She-Hulk is a lot of a fun, and a nice change of pace from your typical hero books. Some lawyering, some romantic comedy, some fun capers. Highly recommend.

I don't read much DC, but Tini Howard's Catwoman is cool.

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh, somehow I glossed over you not having really read comics...

Start at Giant-Size X-Men #1, and then read the series through it becoming Uncanny X-Men. So many all-timers by Claremont on his 16 year stint. @Elmer_Fudd mentioned a lot of them. But honestly, the entire Claremont run is worth reading up to and through the Inferno event (which is the best Marvel event imo).

Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_241.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, safe sex said:

You must read House of X / Powers of X, by Jonathan Hickman, especially if you liked Claremont's peak and Morrison's run with the franchise. It's a stunning reset of the X status quo, and every X book after HoX/PoX for the next two years (barring one or two) is a banger. After Hickman's mini Inferno concludes and he leaves the X-Office, the quality gets a little more erratic, but the X-line remains the best thing going about Marvel right now. Immortal X-Men and X-Men: Red, by Kieron Gillen and Al Ewing respectively, are incredible books that are currently ongoing. Leah William's X-Factor (tragically cut short by the pandemic) is great, as is Ewing's S.W.O.R.D. For awesome one shots, check out Planet-Sized X-Men #1 and Giant-Size X-Men: Jean Grey and Emma Frost. However, if you only read one series after HoX/PoX, make it Zeb Well's Hellions, imo. Though it helps if you're familiar with 80's Claremont. Hilariously, this era of the X-Men was getting started just a little bit after you made this thread, so it's possible that you already read some of those.

Everything you've mentioned is great.  I have all those runs and are on my pull list at my local comic store.  I noticed the X-lines got a new editor and rumors are X-Men may be getting a soft reboot sometime next year when the Krakoa era ends.  I've seen back to the mansion type stuff, but just message board talk for now.  The Krakoa era has definitely been the best run on the X-books in a long time.

I'm still emotionally recovering from this year's Hellfire Gala. I hope a full reset of the status quo doesn't happen. I think Krakoa takes the mutant metaphor to its apex, and to trash it after less than five years would be a drag. I think it's Tom Brevoort who's taking over the X-Office, which is...a safe choice. Good chance the mansion will come back, and I'm very apathetic about it.

Have you read Jean Grey #1? I'm in love with Louise Simonson.

55 minutes ago, safe sex said:

I'm still emotionally recovering from this year's Hellfire Gala. I hope a full reset of the status quo doesn't happen. I think Krakoa takes the mutant metaphor to its apex, and to trash it after less than five years would be a drag. I think it's Tom Brevoort who's taking over the X-Office, which is...a safe choice. Good chance the mansion will come back, and I'm very apathetic about it.

Have you read Jean Grey #1? I'm in love with Louise Simonson.

No, I only picked a few of the current minis.  I got X-Men, X-Men Red, Immortal, X-Force, and Wolverine on my pull list.  The minis I went with were Children of the Vault, Dark X-Men, Dayd of Future Past:  Doomsday and Alpha Flight.

Also have Amazing Spider-Man and Venom.

Yeah Breveroot is the guy taking over.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Hickman's G.O.D.S. is off to an interesting start...it's always weird with entirely new IPs with the world building and working in how these characters fit into 616 Marvel. We'll see! Issue #2 is on my pull list.

Really enjoying the reboot of Rowell's She-Hulk into The Sensational She-Hulk, though!

X-Men Blue: Origins is coming soon, and I've been waiting 25 years to see these two women kiss on the cover of a comic. Beyond excited for it.

xmblueorig2023001_dauterman.jpg

Edited by safe sex

I don't read much in the way of traditional comic books, but what I do read, I love. I read a lot of webcomics that are also available in book form, mostly (see below).

My favorite comic-book comics are, in no particular order:

• Gwenpool. The original series written by Christopher Hastings.
  • Giant Days. Shoot, I don't even know if you can get this through any of those, but it's ... I can't even describe it. If I told you it was a coming-of-age comic about three girls attending University, that tells you really nothing, because it doesn't sound nearly as interesting as it really is. The author, John Allison, is brilliant. And in this series he got paired up with some artists who are as good at drawing as he is at writing.

I also own a few series that I have no idea if they're available on comiXology or not, but damn well oughtta be:

• Girl Genius, the brainchild of Phil and Kaja Foglio, that won so many Nebula awards they had to recuse themselves from the awards to give someone else a chance
  • Drive. Imagine if Jim Davis or Charles Schulz wrote a serious epic Sci-Fi opera. Dave Kellett is that kind of guy. "The story is serious; the characters are hilarious."
  • Sandman. Now this one, you damn well better find on comiXology.
  • Gunnerkrigg Court. If you like Neil Gaiman, you'll like this. By Tom Siddell.

I find that if you go after the good authors, you'll find the good comics. I also used to hang out on a message board with one Gary Whitta, who has done some good things. For example, did you enjoy the movie Rogue One? Well, he's also done comics.

Edited by Rimbo

oh and in terms of must-reads (that I just assumed you had already read):

• Batman: The Killing Joke
  • Batman: The Dark Knight
  • The Watchmen
  • And the aforementioned Sandman.

Those last three are the comics that basically broke us out of the shitty-ass Silver Age of comics. Granted, 90s went into full on grimdark stupidity, inexplicably giving guys like Rob Liefeld and Todd McFarlane careers.

Oh and ...

• the 1997 Deadpool series is what made the character what he is today.
  • Oh.. Did I mention Bone? You should read Bone.

but i don't really read very many comics

Edited by Rimbo

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/5/2023 at 9:37 PM, mdmost said:

These are some great videos if you grew up on 80s/90s comics like me.

I've watched the second one (about him losing everything) and that was fascinating as hell.  Talked to a friend of mine from high school who never got out of comics, and he was like "yeah, McFarlane caught a lot of shit, and he was cocky, and made a few mistakes, but he's always been amazing to the fans, and he's always wanted to do his own thing free from the major labels."