2018 Formula One thread

Prepuce of Doom

It turns my stomach just to watch that. She was going sooooo fast ... doesn't seem like just a simple brake failure or a mistake. More like a stuck throttle or something. Sickening.

Had a collision with another car and lost a wheel beforehand. Wasn’t able to brake at all and actually enters the frame going backwards.
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2018 at 7:33 PM, wood said:

Might have been Max being Max, but almost anyone in the grid would have done the same thing there in Max's shoes (on the track). I like Ocon, and he has a right to unlap himself, but that was fucking stupid, which is why he got a penalty. Like Brundle said, he probably would have gotten the penalty there even if was just trying to pass for position.

Finally got a chance to watch this race, God bless the holidays!

And I totally agree with this. I'm the first one to criticize Max (no really, you all have watched me for the past 2 seasons, I'm pretty sure I'm ACTUALLY the first one to criticize Max ;) ), but this was a pretty obvious case of Ocon (who I do like) just sticking it in there where he was out of place, for no real reason.  

I'm cool with the advice that "he had more to lose than you did" but at the same time, Ocon didn't have a clean pass, he wasn't past Max, Max had a legitimate reason to think he was past Ocon, and Brundle was 100% correct saying that would have been a penalty on Ocon if it were a pass for position, so it absolutely was the incorrect move when you're affecting the race leaders.

33 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Finally got a chance to watch this race, God bless the holidays!

And I totally agree with this. I'm the first one to criticize Max (no really, you all have watched me for the past 2 seasons, I'm pretty sure I'm ACTUALLY the first one to criticize Max ;) ), but this was a pretty obvious case of Ocon (who I do like) just sticking it in there where he was out of place, for no real reason.  

I'm cool with the advice that "he had more to lose than you did" but at the same time, Ocon didn't have a clean pass, he wasn't past Max, Max had a legitimate reason to think he was past Ocon, and Brundle was 100% correct saying that would have been a penalty on Ocon if it were a pass for position, so it absolutely was the incorrect move when you're affecting the race leaders.

I see it differerently, especially after rewatching them on the straight where Ocon passed him.

https://www.facebook.com/Formula1/videos/173218353625294/

Ocon had that pass, Verstappen tried to outbrake him into that corner and cut across his bow, starts around 0:43 in the above video.  Ocon had that pass completed, Verstappen just didn't like it and then fucked up (again).

That's cool, we can have differing opinitons.  I've watched it plenty.  Still see it the same, which is not the way you see it.  Officials got it right.  That wouldn't have been ok even on a move for position.  It certainly wasn't ok crashing out a race leader.

Anyway, on to the next one.

5 hours ago, utee94 said:

Agree.  Gonna miss Alonso quite a bit next year.  

I'll miss Alonso a lot. His transcendent talent and his amazing 2005 & 2006 were what fully set the hook in me and cemented my F1 addiction. I'm sure I'll continue to intensely follow F1 at least for a little while, but it's not ever going to be quite the same for me without that tenacious #14 on the grid, giving 'em hell.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wood said:

That said ... I really get the feeling he'll be back on the F1 grid in 2020.

I really don't follow the inside news and rumors and such around auto sports, but I know you do-- who is going to have open seats in 2020 and where do folks speculate he might land?

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

I really don't follow the inside news and rumors and such around auto sports, but I know you do-- who is going to have open seats in 2020 and where do folks speculate he might land?

I haven't been paying much attn to the silly season market for a month or two, but iirc there are currently seats open at Ferrari and Merc for 2020. I think Ocon or Bottas will be in one of the Merc seats, with Lewis in the other if he decides to renew. I get the feeling Lewis changes his mind a lot over how long he's going to stay in F1. If Alonso comes back in 2020, I think it will be with McLaren or Ferrari. Well before the news/rumors of the internal rift at Ferrari came out out a few weeks ago (Arrivabene vs the technical staff/Binotto), I heard privately from an Autosport poster that an  internal clash was developing, with one of the big issues being that the engineering staff, Binotto etc, realized how many points Kimi and esp Vettel were costing the team with their mistakes, and they were pushing to go after Alonso again because they know & have the data re: how consistent and dogged he was in chasing down every possible point in championship runs. Vettel's contract runs through 2019. IIRC so does Lewis's.

Alonso has made it clear he might want to come back to F1 after a break, and McLaren/Brown have also made it clear they'd like to see him return as well. He'sll be a McLaren driver for 2019 in the 500 and maybe even another race or two. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. I think he has something up his sleeve besides just wanting to go do other disciplines.

ETA: Here's the Autosport 2019 F1 Silly Season thread link. Usually a lot of good info in there, after you wade through all the speculation and 'my driver is better than your driver' nonsense.

https://forums.autosport.com/topic/208043-2019-formula-one-silly-season/

Edited by wood

6 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

That made me look up Brundle as a driver. I've only recently started watching F1 so don't know much history beyond the greats. Showing up multiple times on the left side says something about a driver but so does showing up multiple times on the right.

Yeah I'm obviously a big Alonso fan but I already knew about him sweeping Piquet. The Brundle thing is amazing and is really why I posted it. Also, Schumi being the only other driver outside of Alonso to do two teammate sweeps is pretty amazing. Alonso tends to get a bad rap for qualifying, but I really don't get it. IIRC he was just barely behind Lewis in head-to-head qualifying in 2007, and slightly quicker on overall qualifying pace. The only teammate who was ever quicker on qualy pace than Alonso was Trulli, and they tied head-to-head (Alonso's 3rd season). No doubt both Lewis and Fred gotten a lot better overall as drivers since then. I think Lewis is the best qualifier in racing today, but I also think the people dismissing Alonso as a weak qualifier are way off. IMHO he's one of the top 3 or 4, and the rest of what he and Hamilton bring to the table is unmatched.

Edited by wood

55 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Love that guy.

I sure hope Renault can somehow give him a car worthy of his talents.  Wishful thinking, I'm sure, but still...

You never know. Looks like the new boss is a big motorsport guy. They might even increase spending.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...