2018 Formula One thread

Prepuce of Doom

Did Liberty give ESPN teh rights for free with the promise they would make it has horrible as possible to drive people to the online platform?  Doesn't seem a good way to gain fans in the US.  I would almost prefer them run the races tape-delay so they can insert the commercials and not miss crucial parts of the race.  For those who miss the post race interviews (or will buxton), some are available on the F1 youtube:

They gave them the rights for free from everything I've heard. Haven't heard about the promise you speak of, but the thought had occurred to me. The more direct reason they gave it to them for free, though, is that they offered it to NBC, who then told them to fuck off when they found out they'd only be buying TV rights and would be competing with F1 TV. That left F1 and Bratches in a bind and they defaulted to this old ESPN buddies to bail them out. They were caught with their pants down.

Force India admits race for Formula 1 survival, may https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/formula-1/force-india/news/force-india-admits-race-for-f1-survival_321991.html

Meanwhile Williams vetoes F1 advance payment to Force India. F those guys. That team becomes a bigger disappointment to me with every passing season. Paybacks are a bitch. So is karma. And from what I can tell, Williams' situation isn't all that much better than FI's.

Force India admits race for Formula 1 survival

Force India is in a race for mere survival, its deputy boss Bob Fernley has admitted.

Amid owner and boss Vijay Mallya's ever-deepening legal troubles, his deputy Fernley has revealed that he is scrambling to put together the team's 2018 budget.

"The next four weeks will decide if we will survive," Germany's Auto Bild quotes him as saying.

"I will have to raise a lot of money in a short amount of time."

Previously, Force India has been given a helping hand by getting an advance on its official F1 income.

Fernley said: "For that we always need the approval of the other teams, and this time Williams has put in the veto.

"I have a plan that could work in the next two to three weeks."

Force India will be looking to get its first points of 2018 on the board at the Bahrain Grand Prix next weekend.

2 hours ago, wood said:

Hopefully FI survives to veto the advance Williams will someday need for survival.

Agree. It's amazing how much formula 1 shoots itsrlf in the foot. Lost a lot of respect for Williams in this.  

Sounds like there is a lot of people getting pissed at the Haas - Ferrari relationship. These will be some tough times for the new owners I think. Hopefully we come out better for it, but it's starting to look ugly

• Like 1

Found this on the ESPN thread regarding the Australian GP broadcast:

Apology issued: "We deeply apologize to Formula 1 fans for the technical issues that caused them to miss the first 20 minutes of the pre-race show for the Australian Grand Prix. We are sorry that our first F1 telecast did not go as smoothly as we would have liked but we are taking steps to prevent those same issues from occurring in the future. We thank the fans for watching and for their incredible passion for Formula 1."

3 hours ago, wood said:

Force India admits race for Formula 1 survival, may https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/formula-1/force-india/news/force-india-admits-race-for-f1-survival_321991.html

Meanwhile Williams vetoes F1 advance payment to Force India. F those guys. That team becomes a bigger disappointment to me with every passing season. Paybacks are a bitch. So is karma. And from what I can tell, Williams' situation isn't all that much better than FI's.

That's fucking lame.

Do KTM, Suzuki, and Aprilia complain about satellite teams like Tech 3 blitzing them with an older Yamaha in MotoGP? No. 

I know it’s not a perfect comparison and yes, Tech 3 is switching to KTM next year so they will be slow, but still. 

Renault hasn’t even complained (as far as I know), and they are currently slower than Haas as a factory team!

FYI local Austin start times for  Bahrain are as follows:

FP1:  6am  FP2: 10am

FP3: 7am  Q: 10am

GP: 10:10 am

No pre-race show listed this time. I was afraid of this. I think maybe they only offered it in week one because the app wasn't. Still no word that the app is ready now either tho. E:60 is listed just before the race. Who knows?

• Like 1

I don't see it on WatchESPN either, except for 5 minutes.

I do see that they have the Formula 2 Race 2 at 6am, though.

It's also not uncommon for the WatchESPN app to be delayed in updating certain events, sometimes just the day before. It happens all the time with their soccer coverage.

Edited by skipperj

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/4/formula-1-tables-its-proposals-for-2021.html

Key strategic initiatives

Power units (PU)

The PU must be cheaper, simpler, louder, have more power and reduce the necessity of grid penalties.

It must remain road relevant, hybrid and allow manufacturers to build unique and original PU.

New PU rules must be attractive for new entrants and Customer teams must have access to equivalent performance.

Costs

We believe how you spend the money must be more decisive and important than how much money you spend.

While there will be some standardised elements, car differentiation must remain a core value

Implement a cost cap that maintains Formula 1's position as the pinnacle of motorsport with a state-of-the-art technology.

Revenues

The new revenue distribution criteria must be more balanced, based on meritocracy of the current performance and reward success for the teams and the Commercial Rights Holder.

F1s unique, historical franchise and value must and will still be recognised.

Revenue support to both cars and engine suppliers.

Sporting and technical rules & regulations

We must make cars more raceable to increase overtaking opportunities.

Engineering technology must remain a cornerstone but driver’s skill must be the predominant factor in the performance of the car.

The cars must and will remain different from each other and maintain performance differentiators like aerodynamics, suspensions and PU performance. However, we believe areas not relevant to fans need to be standardised.

Governance

A simple and streamline structure between the teams, the FIA and Formula 1.

Edited by crackamacgowski

That FOM press release says nothing they haven't already said, really. Hate that they keep talking 'road relevance' though. The last thing F1 needs is to be road relevant. Could be just lip service to keep Merc & Ferrari from losing their minds tho...

Ferrari & Merc will not like the $150M budget cap talk one little bit tho. Money is really no object for either of them. They're both willing to spend whatever it takes, and they really want to keep the sport as expensive as they can make it. 

Edited by wood

Thanks pwinger. I'll check & see if my listings have updated...

Apparently active suspension is being considered for 2021, and 18" rims, & a tire warmer ban. Still standing firm on axing the H. Good. And even better, getting rid of the unanimous vote bullshit that's been slowly killing F1 for decades.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/f1-bosse-plan-2021-bahrain/

translation:

Liberty Media has put his concept for the Formula 1 from 2021 on the table. The budget cap comes in. It will be around $ 150 million. According to the new distribution key, a small team only has to find 30 million sponsorship money to be on par with the big ones.

The cat is out of the bag. Just in time at 10 o'clock, Formula 1 boss Chase Carey, sports director Ross Brawn and the ten team bosses of the Formula 1 met outside the paddock in a meeting room of the Oasis complex building. The F1 management presented its vision of Formula One in 20 minutes from 2021. If the plan works, it will trigger an earthquake in Formula One. For the first time comes a budget cap. This is to protect the small teams from being driven by the big racing teams with three times as much money and three times as much employees on the wall.

At the same time, the revenues are distributed evenly to the teams. A bonus is only available for Ferrari and all engine manufacturers. Liberty wants to reward them for providing engines to the customer teams. "Formula 1 should be a business for all teams to earn," said the headquarters of Liberty.

At the meeting with the team bosses Liberty went into detail. Everyone was given a roll of paper at the end of the session. It was not long before details of the Liberty plan circulated in the paddock. The budget ceiling is set at $ 150 million. Except for salaries for drivers and executives, and spending on marketing. The Formula 1 teams will work in two stages. They want to give the big teams the chance to shrink their staffing levels over a period of two years. External watchdogs and draconian punishments are designed to put off scammers.

According to Liberty's plans, all the teams are to get so much money that they only have to find $ 30 million in sponsorship to reach the budget cap. Ferrari collects as a team with the greatest history and as a motor manufacturer twice and should come to a bonus of about 50 million dollars. That's about half of the special payment they are currently receiving. The engine manufacturers receive a compensation of $ 10 million.

The extra money can not be used by the factory teams to make their cars faster. This prevents the cost brake. The special payment goes as a profit in the books. That should actually satisfy even the controversial Ferrari boss Sergio Marchionne. The Formula 1-Gewraeft will drop for Ferrari from 2021 a profit of approximately 200 million dollar. At the moment you still pay. It is still unclear how Marchionne reacts. The President stayed away from the meeting in Bahrain. We will hear from him soon.

Decision-making should also be simplified according to the plans of FIA and rightholders. You seek decisions with a simple majority. Only with particularly sensitive topics a majority of 75 per cent is to be necessary. Formula 1 commission and strategy group would stand in this case before the dissolution. A panel of ten representatives each of the FIA, the F1 management and the teams is entitled to vote. The goal is to react quickly in an emergency. To correct mistakes or to implement good ideas unbureaucratically. So far, the coercion of the unanimous vote has always been against it.

On the technical side, Chase Carey focused on the future engine format. The rules for the car still have until 2019. Since the manufacturers did not submit any better proposals, FIA and Liberty want to stick to the proposal that they put on the table at the end of October 2017. So a 1.6 liter V6 turbo without MGU-H, but with a stronger MGU-K. The speed at which the engine achieves maximum power, should be increased by 3,000 / min. That should improve the sound. For this purpose, the fuel limit is relaxed. To save costs, batteries and turbochargers come off the peg.
Edited by wood

Boom.

Also, from the other day, proposed rule changes for 2019...

* Airbox fin stays as it is
* Load tests for the attachment points of the noses are tightened
* Height of the exhaust pipes is reduced
* Exhaust pipes must not be angled upwards
* Bigger rearwing flap
* Ban of slots in upper part of rear wing endplate
* Increase of the slotgaps to the main wing
* Simplification of the front wing and ban the cascades
* New bargeboard dimensions
* DRS everywhere on the track
* 80kg min. weight (driver+seat)

Edited by wood