2019 Tampa Bay Rays Thread

Fawesome

also, and this isn't aimed at anyone in particular (because it's aimed at pretty much all of you), but it always surprises me when i send some team 8 offers and they all get rejected without a single counter. this accounts for 95% of my trade dealings. IIRC Nomaaa actually did send me a counter recently and he ended up bagging Blackmon, a closer, a future closer, and the German Mickey Mantle for two of his guys. i always find it peculiar when one party (me) is showing you that he's really looking to make a move and 9/10 times the team i'm making offers to doesn't want to even see if they can get Jose Ramirez and Freddie Freeman from me.

I think some of it is just the struggle for roster composition. I am not sure that I have ever seen a trade offer that was not 2 for 1, 3 for 1 etc. As you stated, this is not directed at anyone in particular.

I always find these type of trades hard to work with because it always ends up feeling like I am dropping people to make room for people that are comparable to the player(s) I am receiving. When that happens, it feels like a 1 for 1 trade where value can be lost. Not saying that is every trade, but a lot of offers end up that way in my opinion.

I try to find a good counter, but I always run into blocks where I do not see a path forward. Also, there is the factor with needs based issues that prevent me from even entertaining multiple people on teams.

18 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Not every trade needs a counter. If that person doesn't want to trade they don't want to trade. 

right, but what i'm saying is i almost never receive any counters at all. to the point where i'm shocked if i even get one. that's just peculiar to me. because i can promise you that anyone who comes at me with multiple offers will be receiving a counter or two from me just because i can tell that this guy is seriously looking to make a move and i want to see if i can take advantage of that. i'll counter him with at least one "shoot for the moon" offer just to see if he likes it. 

Just now, Goo Punch said:

right, but what i'm saying is i almost never receive any counters at all. to the point where i'm shocked if i even get one. that's just peculiar to me. because i can promise you that anyone who comes at me with multiple offers will be receiving a counter or two from me just because i can tell that this guy is seriously looking to make a move and i want to see if i can take advantage of that. i'll counter him with at least one "shoot for the moon" offer just to see if he likes it. 

Right, because you love trading more than anything, if your behavior is indicative of anything.

2 hours ago, Capn81 said:

I think some of it is just the struggle for roster composition. I am not sure that I have ever seen a trade offer that was not 2 for 1, 3 for 1 etc. As you stated, this is not directed at anyone in particular.

I always find these type of trades hard to work with because it always ends up feeling like I am dropping people to make room for people that are comparable to the player(s) I am receiving. When that happens, it feels like a 1 for 1 trade where value can be lost. Not saying that is every trade, but a lot of offers end up that way in my opinion.

I try to find a good counter, but I always run into blocks where I do not see a path forward. Also, there is the factor with needs based issues that prevent me from even entertaining multiple people on teams.

i definitely sent you one of these, but i'm happy to do an even swap.  the problem is that you're dangling altuve - a top 15 type guy (even though he's scuffling right now).  if you said "i need relief pitching, send me offers" then things would be different.

you likely won't get 1-1 or 2-2 type offers unless someone just has a star on their bench with nowhere to play them.  the way injuries have been, i'm thinking that's rare.

also since i want a fucking astro at some point, i was trying to overpay, but didn't really know what you wanted.

like i said, feel free to counter, no one is off the table.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

it's still relatively early in the season.  sometimes i get offers and i don't counter because i don't really know what i have yet.

some weeks i crush the ball but can't pitch.  other times it's vice-versa.

speaking of which, is anyone gonna do power rankings?

3 hours ago, Capn81 said:

fwiw the latest offer i've sent you is just a 4 for 3, so you'd only have to drop one player. and considering that all four guys i've offered you are all solid starters (every one of them could feasibly finish top 50 OVR in the player rater, and two of them have top 15 potential) that shouldn't be an issue. Also, one of the three guys i'm asking for was recently demoted a bullpen role, which has to be taken into account when assessing his value. so check out the offer and let me know if you think we can work something out. 

also, i know that nobody here likes Moose, but the guy is 2B eligible this year, and coming off a year where he hit 28 HR and 95 RBI. The year before that it was 38 (!!) HR and 85 RBI. He currently has 8 HR, 8 2B, and 21 RBI in 31 games played. That's EASILY top 5 overall production at 2B. Easily.

edit: just did the math, that's 40 HR, 40 2B, and 105 RBI if he plays 155 games

The only reason i even drafted him is because Milwaukee announced he would be their everyday 2B. So even if his name isn't sexy, his numbers damn sure are, and I'm going to value him as such in trade negotiations. 

Edited by Goo Punch

6 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

I hear Jonathan Schoop is available.  And he even plays the same position.  You're welcome, Cap'n.

i've actually been getting nice production from lowe (who i just traded) and danny santana (who has lots of fun positional flexibility).  surprising number of solid 2b this season.

also i drafted brian dozier.  that guy needed to get hot to sniff .165 and shit.

• Like 1