Bride to be has a fart caught sideways. Must celebrate...

Son got engaged around New Years.  Funeral...um...wedding will be in November.  We've been having discussions around how much money we would contribute and so-forth.  ceremonies will be on upper east coast very close to where a famous TV sanitation manager lived.

Wife texts me today, "(future DIL) is getting her dress on this weekend. I want to go."

WTF?  Since when did every gotdam thing become a cause for celebration?

I understand I am an antiquated, out of touch cretin, but holy fuck.  To me, these people are just this:

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Just think, if your son was gay you would have likely saved all this time and money....think about it.

No way a gay dude is saving money on pomp and circumstance.

2 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Because sticking the brides dad with the bill is the dumbest tradition ever. 

This.

we are on board with supporting more than just the dinner.

i will say when our son suggested we pop for ALL of the alcohol I had to catch my breath.

15-20 from our family and then over 100 Catholic Italians from Jersey.

Marriage booze into bankruptcy?  LOL.

12 hours ago, slorch said:

This.

i will say when our son suggested we pop for ALL of the alcohol I had to catch my breath.

goodfellas-DXNC08.jpg

22 hours ago, slorch said:

This.

Our rehearsal dinner booze bill was 5k. Dad protested and accused the place of padding the bill and drinking the booze themselves. Got it cut in half. 

To this day I believe the bill was correct. 

• Like 1

I was scared to death when I asked my dad to pay for the bar bill at my reception. My in laws are upper class and chose a nice joint, I was raised lower middle class. An open bar was expected and had no way to predict what it might cost for my enormous family of drinkers, my wife’s smaller but still sizeable family of drinkers, and most importantly my mid 20s degenerate friends to whom free booze was basically a lottery win. I thought to limit the wine to one mid tier white and red, which we did, and to mid tier well liquor, which we did. As expected we were all having a blast and I could tell the bar was hoping. Half drunk I told my dad I was sorry and that I’ll be able to cover some of it when I graduated and started making money. He smiled and said to have a good time and don’t worry about it. A few years later I asked about it and he admitted the bill was over 10 grand. He also filled me in that he had taken his modest retirement check and did really well investing. He covered it no problem, much to my surprise. I’m pretty fortunate and apparently will have a decent unexpected inheritance, hopefully a long long time from now.

• Like 1

Yeah, well our conversation started out about a week after the engagement, " Dad let's sit down and talk about how much everything is going to cost>"

My only text in the conversation was, " There will be no sitting down.  The amount we can afford is a fixed amount and you will work from there.  If you want more you will cover it.  There will be no open checkbook nor negotiations for more."

Keep in mind, both of them have great jobs and zero debt. If they want it over the top, it will not be sinking either set of parents.

On 1/12/2019 at 5:36 PM, slorch said:

I ain't getting thrown in the Hudson with cement shoes.

Plus she's a badass woman.  I like her.

No pics for you mofos.

You answered your own question.  You like the chick, your wife apparently likes her.  Wife goes dress shopping, you drink beer all day and watch the playoff games.  Sounds good to me.

41 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

You answered your own question.  You like the chick, your wife apparently likes her.  Wife goes dress shopping, you drink beer all day and watch the playoff games.  Sounds good to me.

Does OP have any daughters?  If so then this seems over the top as your wife can go wedding dress shopping with your daughter(s) when that time comes.  If you only have boys then you should support her participation.

Note:  In either case your wife needs to have an honest conversation about what future daughter in law (DIL) wants as far as your wife's participation.  Your wife can have an opinion about how involved she is, but it needs to be caveated with "you tell me what you want and if/when I need to back off."  Part of this is what your son's future Mother in Law (MIL) is like and if she will get shitty about your wife being too involved.  Unless people are mature and willing to be directed in how/when they participate this situation can get messy quick.

On 1/12/2019 at 5:02 PM, slorch said:

I went to one of those weddings.

For a non-New Jerseyan, the most interesting things were how instead of all the chicks being fried-blond, they instead had dumped ink pots in their hair for the Vampirella effect. Extra status points for doing it up in some Lucrezia Borgia interwoven brain-helmet. The middle-aged ones were showing the effects of youthful nose jobs-- nose chopped off, but nostrils kept growing.. Every one of them was angry at another one for reasons that date back to Romulus and Remus.

The bride was really vivacious. Months later the groom realized she was supposed to be on meds, but had decided to skip them for a year.

After they broke up, she went through a string of local swains, and produced some mono-browed offspring.

Congratulations!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

For a non-New Jerseyan, the most interesting things were how instead of all the chicks being fried-blond, they instead had dumped ink pots in their hair for the Vampirella effect. Extra status points for doing it up in some Lucrezia Borgia interwoven brain-helmet. The middle-aged ones were showing the effects of youthful nose jobs-- nose chopped off, but nostrils kept growing.. Every one of them was angry at another one for reasons that date back to Romulus and Remus.

This is all I could picture.

prostitution-whore.gif