Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

Heard a little stat nugget today that should piss everyone the fuck off. I haven’t vetted this, but this year, when Dak has 5+ carries, we were 9-2. When he had 4 or less, 1-4. What did he have against the Rams, 2 carries? That’s just flat out unacceptable in my opinion. Anyone with eyes can tell that Dak would be more effective if we either had more designed runs, or if he just took off when the pocket broke down more often. 

• Like 1

Catching up with stuff. Bayless a little pissed at Garrett (and Linehan) on that fourth and one call. The Cowboys brain trust had an entire quarter break to pick a play. So they run Zeke behind a Rookie Left Guard, a backup Center and a RG that needs a knee operation - straight into the two biggest rocks in the NFL. Our center was blown two yards into the backfield. The more I think about it, the more I think they're gonna take a look at Garrett's contract.

He didn't fault Dak for the team being 1 for 10 on third down. (I fucking do) Wasn't too happy about the hands to the face call either - or the phantom "in the grasp" call when I guess Dak was "tackled" by his own lineman, spun out of danger - and the fucking whistle blew.

All that said, we stop Goff on 3rd and 7, and we win that game. (Goff was like 15 for 28 passing). That was Heath's fucking fault. He looked slow as molasses on that play. In fact, I think he's played his last game as a Cowboy. That shit play left a sour taste in everyone's mouth.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

I mean, we still had to march down the field, score, and convert a 2 point conversion just to tie. So “we win if we stop Goff on 3rd and 7” is a stretch to say the least. But the fact that we were still in the game with the opportunity to make a stop and give us a chance is pretty amazing

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Hmmm..... LOL!

This is why changing coordinator's shouldn't be left up to Garrett if he remains HC (he is).  He needs to be pulled out of his comfort zone, but the comment above indicates Jerrah, foolishly, believes Garrett's schemes and management can get this team to over the hump.  Most evidence to the contrary.  If you don't win a SB in your first 5/6 years with the team, it's not going to happen (unless you're Bill Cowher)..... 

12 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Heard a little stat nugget today that should piss everyone the fuck off. I haven’t vetted this, but this year, when Dak has 5+ carries, we were 9-2. When he had 4 or less, 1-4. What did he have against the Rams, 2 carries? That’s just flat out unacceptable in my opinion. Anyone with eyes can tell that Dak would be more effective if we either had more designed runs, or if he just took off when the pocket broke down more often. 

No shit. How does such a basic, simple, fundamental stat like that escape the attention of the HC and OC? Everyone on this board, a lot of analysts in the media were calling for Dak to take off more. If Garrett had any feel at all for the game, he would have made damn sure that Dak ran the ball a minimum of six or seven times. Except in those dire situations near the goal line, he usually slides or goes out of bounds - so it's relatively save, and it really gets results.

Eric Dickerson said he was sure on 4th and 1, Dak would take off. These two bastards had three or four minutes to call a good play. The Jones boys need to pull their heads out of their asses.

27 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Hmmm..... LOL!

This is why changing coordinator's shouldn't be left up to Garrett if he remains HC (he is).  He needs to be pulled out of his comfort zone, but the comment above indicates Jerrah, foolishly, believes Garrett's schemes and management can get this team to over the hump.  Most evidence to the contrary.  If you don't win a SB in your first 5/6 years with the team, it's not going to happen (unless you're Bill Cowher)..... 

Jason's not making that decision.

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

More on this..... Cowher also got to a SB in his 4/5th year and then won in like his 9th year.  History says Garrett will never win a SB and frankly, that's probably a good bet.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, futureman said:

lulz.  I’ll bet dollars to donuts you’re parked in front of the tube for preseason game #1

Can't speak for the guy you're responding to, but I gave up on the Cowboys a few years ago. I had almost given up when Jerry hired Parcells, and got sucked back in when Parcells turned them back into an actual playoff team. My final break with them was when Wade Phillips got his ass kicked and was doing a postgame interview. He didn't even know who they were playing the next week. That was the week Jerry fired him. Just looked it up. That was 2010. Jason Witten was the last player I knew on the Cowboys, and I can proudly say I've never watched a full game with Jason Garrett coaching. 

15 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Heard a little stat nugget today that should piss everyone the fuck off. I haven’t vetted this, but this year, when Dak has 5+ carries, we were 9-2. When he had 4 or less, 1-4. What did he have against the Rams, 2 carries? That’s just flat out unacceptable in my opinion.

Worse, Dak didn't have those carries until the fourth quarter, and I think one of them was an improvised scramble, but I could be wrong.

Anyone who's watched the Cowboys the past three seasons can appreciate that Dak, despite his shortcomings, plays better once he's involved his feet. For whatever reason, picking up yards on the run and getting hit seem to settle him, help him focus. This doesn't mean he should be running it 10 times a game, but four or five called runs, plus freelance scrambles, seems reasonable.

Yet Garrett/Linehan seem oblivious to this. It is cliche to rip the OC/head coach when the offense stalls, but I genuinely believe they lack an understanding of the most critical position on the field and too often call plays that ignore Dak's strengths.

Been arguing this since 2016, by the way, so no revisionism here.

12 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

No doubt Garrett would get interviewed and hired by another team. He’s won 3 division titles in 4 years. Having said that, let another team hire him. His mediocrity has run its course here.

jeff fisher won 3 division titles his entire career.  I think Garrett is right on track to be a bit better than jeff fisher.  

24 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

No doubt Garrett would get interviewed and hired by another team. He’s won 3 division titles in 4 years. Having said that, let another team hire him. His mediocrity has run its course here.

Cowboys have won more games than any other NFC team over the last three seasons. Mind-bottling. But true.

15 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I mean, we still had to march down the field, score, and convert a 2 point conversion just to tie. So “we win if we stop Goff on 3rd and 7” is a stretch to say the least. But the fact that we were still in the game with the opportunity to make a stop and give us a chance is pretty amazing

Still in the game because they dropped a pick 6 and Aqib Talib is a moron, that's not really amazing.

29 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

jeff fisher won 3 division titles his entire career.  I think Garrett is right on track to be a bit better than jeff fisher.  

Jeff Fisher was at least one yard away from going to OT in a Super Bowl. Garrett hasn't even sniffed the NFC championship game. Plus Fisher went to the Super Bowl in his 5th season. We are about to be on year 10 of Garrett pretty soon.

Garrett's team management is complete shit. Complete shit. 

goes all out with defensive starters in meaningless week 17 game instead of giving them 2 weeks rest before postseason. A defense that was great during winning streak but ran out of gas last few games of season and any decent coach could see needed the rest. Of course it manifests itself in week 2 of the playoffs when they were completely worn out and got blown off the ball by an offensive line that doesn't ever rush for 270 yds. 

Doesn't recognize issues in offensive scheme during the game that we're screaming for adjustment. Keeps rushing on 1st down even though rams constantly stuffed it. Finished game 7 first down rushes for 7 yards total. Drive killers. 

Doesn't recognize Dak needs to be utilized in running game for offense to be successful. 2 Dak carries. In the fucking playoffs where you don't hold anything back. 

Allows his teams defensive calls and alignment to get picked off by Rams. How the fuck do you not make sure it's sound going into a playoff game?

2nd round of playoffs is the ceiling for Garrett. At that stage the competition gets too quality and stakes get too high to win with such massive blunders. 

17 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Jeff Fisher was at least one yard away from going to OT in a Super Bowl. Garrett hasn't even sniffed the NFC championship game. Plus Fisher went to the Super Bowl in his 5th season. We are about to be on year 10 of Garrett pretty soon.

Well, to be fair, he's sniffed it twice, only to have Aaron Rodgers snatch that fine smelling pie away both times (and Dean Blandino).  

5 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

This seems to encapsulate the morning interview with Jerrah.

Jerrah.... full of excuses.

In other words.... a lot of bullshit.  Rah rah shit and waxing unpoetically about how excited he is about this team.... so buy more tickets!!!!  Fuck you Jerrah.

So somebody is claiming that these stupid bastards (the coaches) couldn't figure out what kind of cleats the team should be wearing for that field and those conditions? Another fucking basic aspect of the game lost on this fucking coach. Is this decision made like every other one he makes - he pulls it out of his ass?

4th and 1, Garrett/Linehan had three minutes to pick a play that will work, and they come up with a play that had no secondary options.

What the hell did the Rams do at the end of the game on 3rd and 7? Seven fucking yards! Had Lee pulled off the receiver he was covering to go after Goff, Goff would have flipped the ball to that receiver at the first down marker (plus there was another receiver five or ten yards downfield.)

Ass-pull coaching is what it is.

6 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

No shit. How does such a basic, simple, fundamental stat like that escape the attention of the HC and OC? Everyone on this board, a lot of analysts in the media were calling for Dak to take off more. If Garrett had any feel at all for the game, he would have made damn sure that Dak ran the ball a minimum of six or seven times. Except in those dire situations near the goal line, he usually slides or goes out of bounds - so it's relatively save, and it really gets results.

Eric Dickerson said he was sure on 4th and 1, Dak would take off. These two bastards had three or four minutes to call a good play. The Jones boys need to pull their heads out of their asses.

while I am in full agreement with this and have been railing on it all year.  fuck Eric Dickerson.

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’m hearing that this TE draft class unbelievably deep. Arguably 10 TEs in the top 100 overall players according to a lot of scouting services. That definitely bodes well for this team. If there’s one thing about this team that you can hang your hat on, they draft well/scout really well. 

And have had great success with Tight Ends in the 2nd round!!!  Wait.... Seriously, there are some good TEs, I like Irv Smith Jr but as I stated earlier, I would be happy to take LJH as a big slot receiver who would double as move TE in routes.

2 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

LJH would probably be a Beasely replacement as I doubt Cowboys can give Beasely the best contract he'll get. I doubt Garrett/Jerry do it though because Garrett has never shown an ability to get the most out of unsual tweener type players like that. They'll probably feel he's too big for the slot. 

To be honest, Cooper could play the slot and draft an OR and sign a cheap Vet. .  Or you try to sneak Renfro from Clemson lAter in the draft 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

To be honest, Cooper could play the slot and draft an OR and sign a cheap Vet. .  Or you try to sneak Renfro from Clemson lAter in the draft 

This, 100%. Throw cooper in the slot, or even someone like Allen Hurns if he can come back as quickly as they think. Both have been effective in the slot for a lot of their career. Nothing wrong with having a small, shifty slot, but it isn’t necessary. Cooper would be a matchup nightmare if he was consistently inside 

Give Garrett next year and depending on injuries, etc. reevaluate his contract following 2019 season.

We should be fine personnel-wise next year and now it comes down to straight up coaching. Making it to the divisional round after the fucking mess we were in following Monday Night Football was an accomplishment. 

I wish the media would change the narrative to what it really is. They couch it as Jerry being loyal to Jason and wanting to prove he and Jason can win.

The reality is that the renowned Wildcatter Jerry Jones has become a big dripping pussy who has accepted being mediocre to slightly above average so he doesn’t ever have to go through the pain of being a consistently shitty laughingstock like the Cowboys became in the late 90s/early aughts.

In Ginger he has found a coach who is never going to take him to the mountaintop but also isn’t going to take him to the dark days of Dave Campo and three straight nut kick seasons in a row.

Jerry is playing it safe. What a cunt.