Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

I wish we had a real OC. Stacked 9 men in the box. Don't even think about a play action or bootleg roll out or even some kind of fake it up the middle and pitch it out? Nope. Run it straight into the brick wall. Maddening.

Especially when you compare the 4th & 1 the Rams had to seal the win.
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hate said:

Especially when you compare the 4th & 1 the Rams had to seal the win.

Yep. And Goff is a statue. Rams could have easily lined up and ran it up the gut to force us to use our last timeout and punted. I mean, that is what Linehan would have done. But their coaches actually look at tendencies  and what they are doing and adjust and call plays accordingly. We don't. Simple as that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

Too bad The Savior hasn't dressed in about 12 weeks  

yeah, you jest, but you’ll see him flash in the preseason this summer.  then he’ll be named the backup for 2019, and at some point after dak checks down for the 15th consecutive pass and we’re sitting on a 2-4 record, The Savior will enter the game, and that will be the start of the new cowboys.  you’ll need to have a feeding tube just to be able eat all the requisite crow, and you and the rest of the doubters will literally be begging me for forgiveness.  but don’t worry, I’m not an evil man.  I will forgive all of you.  and we can walk hand-in-hand into the open arms of a new cowboys dynasty.  but you can’t see it yet.  of course not, you lack vision.  I see a place where people get on and off the freeway, on and off, off and on, all day, all night.  soon where jerryworld once stood will be a string of gas stations, inexpensive motels, restaurants that serve rapidly prepared food, tire salons, automobile dealerships, and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see... my god, it will be beautiful. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fellside said:

In addition to a new OC, I think the Cowboys' offense needs a big target.  I'd be happy if we took one of the 6-5 Big 12 receivers (LJH, Hakeem Butler, Antoine Wesley, David Sills) late in the draft.  I think Dak needs a bail-out option.

Butler would look great in a Cowboys uni. They could even put a few pounds on him and make him a receiving TE weapon.

3 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Holding the Rams to 23 points is fine.....but they had the ball for over 33 minutes and had two 100 yard rushers which is not.

Whose fault was that? Maybe an offense that couldn't get on track. Maybe an offense whose QB killed two or three drives with low percentage throws to smothered receivers instead of tucking it and getting first downs. Instead of controlling the ball as they have recently, the Offense put the onus on the D, which held up pretty well.

And holding the Rams to 23 would have been amazing.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Whose fault was that? Maybe an offense that couldn't get on track. Maybe an offense whose QB killed two or three drives with low percentage throws to smothered receivers instead of tucking it and getting first downs. Instead of controlling the ball as they have recently, the Offense put the onus on the D, which held up pretty well.

Meh. Offense gave this defense a 7-3 lead and they had a chance to get off the field on a 3rd and 10 on the 2nd drive. Yet they allowed a 9 yard completion and then an easy 4th and 1 conversion. Offense had no real chance to even get going. They had the ball once in the 1st qtr and they scored.

273 yds on the ground is unacceptable. I don't care about missed passes. Goff missed a ton but he had a run game to back him up. Dak didn't have one to lean on. We keep drives going by running the ball but that was non existent. 

Rams had 9 drives and the defense made a stop on one of them. Only a couple drives were less than 6 plays. 3 of them had 11 or more plays. That 

If the Offense had kept the ball an extra fifteen minutes, that's fifteen minutes less of Rams offense. That's fifteen minutes fewer rushing yards. You can't just go by statistics. A defense that gets no rest is going to have a tougher time stopping their opponent, but we DID stop them. With all the TOP they had, we held them to 23/30 pts. 

That's the bend don't break. That's the flex. You give up some yards in the middle of the field, you change your tendencies when you see you have a chance for a stop, and hopefully you keep them from scoring too many points. Points scored is the bottom line, and the D damn well in that regard. This was a high powered team we were playing.

The fault lies with Linehan (and Dak)

1 hour ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Or an OC who tries to drill it into a young QB's head to use his arm rather than his legs...

• Like 2

Or an OC who tries to drill it into a young QB's head to use his arm rather than his legs...
Had we called a bootleg rollout on the 4th and 1, hell he might have scored. They sold all out up the middle. But good ol Linehan thought we needed a run up the middle. When it had not worked none all night.

1 minute ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

I definitely will not care about Cowboy football next fall. 

Again, just because Garrett said it doesn't make it so. Stephen Jones has already been quoted as saying they haven't met and would be discussing changes that would help the team get better. Personally, I'd love to see new coordinators on both sides of the ball. Marinelli's been the better coordinator but it's becoming clear his time has passed. Let's elevate Richard to DC, keep Marinelli around as an adviser or something and kick Linehan's (and Kellen Moore's) ass to the curb. Would love to find a viable alternative to Dak but I'm afraid I don't see it. Here's my road map to success in 2019:

1. Fire Linehan and Moore
  2. Hire OC who can either showcase Dak or prove that he ain't the long-term answer
  3. Reassign or fire Marinelli
  4. Make Richard the DC
  5. Get Travis Frederick completely healthy
  6. Sign Earl Thomas III
  7. Profit

3 hours ago, DougO said:

Butler would look great in a Cowboys uni. They could even put a few pounds on him and make him a receiving TE weapon.

He's going to stay at WR.  He, nor his agent, will want anything to do with TE.  That's a silly notion.

2 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

This is silly.  They rushed the ball for a playoff record vs Dallas but some are trying to put this on the offense?  An offense not built to get a track meet.  We got beat up on the LOS and couldn't run the ball effectively.  It's as simple as that.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

This is a far more important statement than Garrett's.  Garrett will have influence but ultimately won't be the decision maker.  My fear is they go in-house on the OC and that would be something Garrett would feel "comfortable" doing.

5 minutes ago, SurlyBDR said:

He knows what he signed up for.  And frankly, this last round of positional hiring wasn't really good and he was the main influencer.  For a coordinator position, there's too much loyalty there for him to be objective (not that the Joneses are much better).

Edited by Patrick Bateman

13 minutes ago, SurlyBDR said:

And this right here is why this franchise is doomed to failure.  The Cowboys are going to have "catch lightning in a bottle" and get very lucky to ever win a Super Bowl again and even then they won't be able to sustain any level of excellence. 

52 minutes ago, futureman said:

lulz.  I’ll bet dollars to donuts you’re parked in front of the tube for preseason game #1

This is the first year that I can recall that I missed watching multiple games because I just forgot.  I sort of already didn't care this year.  I didn't get suckered in emotionally when they got into the playoffs and won their wildcard because I knew they sucked offensively and would eventually get outcoached in the playoffs.  

1 hour ago, Hate said:

And this right here is why this franchise is doomed to failure.  The Cowboys are going to have "catch lightning in a bottle" and get very lucky to ever win a Super Bowl again and even then they won't be able to sustain any level of excellence. 

That is so overplayed....It would be an issue if JG was someone who wanted to show he has power but there are very few coaches in the NFL that would be able to hire a coach even if the GM or others in front office were against the hire.

Edited by txbroadcaster

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Don't overlook Cowboys 1st place 2019 schedule as a result of winning the NFC East Division.

So I think Cowboys may have to play Rams, Bears and Saints in 2019?

They were already playing the NFC North, so the Rams and the Saints will be order of finish game opponents. 

FWIW, the Rams scored 54 on KC, who just destroyed the Colts offense. Be careful what you wish for on  getting a new DC. You'll be stuck with him a minimum of two years. If Kris Richard is as good as everyone says, give him a shot, but keep Marinelli around as a resource for him to make sure he's the guy.

I'll bet Billy the Garrett called that 4th and 1 run up the middle. He's been living on the edge all year on 4th down calls. A rollout option with Dak would have been my first choice. A straight QB keeper my second (maybe). One fucking yard and you want to drop back two to three yards to hand off to your halfback? How bout a fake to Zeke and a handoff to a solid fullback on the other side of the line. One fucking yard.

This offense displayed a total lack of creativity this year. Total. The Jones will get rid of Linehan, guaranteed.

3 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

FWIW, the Rams scored 54 on KC, who just destroyed the Colts offense. Be careful what you wish for on  getting a new DC. You'll be stuck with him a minimum of two years. If Kris Richard is as good as everyone says, give him a shot, but keep Marinelli around as a resource for him to make sure he's the guy.

I'll bet Billy the Garrett called that 4th and 1 run up the middle. He's been living on the edge all year on 4th down calls. A rollout option with Dak would have been my first choice. A straight QB keeper my second (maybe). One fucking yard and you want to drop back two to three yards to hand off to your halfback? How bout a fake to Zeke and a handoff to a solid fullback on the other side of the line. One fucking yard.

This offense displayed a total lack of creativity this year. Total. The Jones will get rid of Linehan, guaranteed.

This year? Try the entire era of Garrett starting in 2007 being lacking in creativity. The only reason it even looked as good as it did at times was because Romo audibled out of every shitty call. We are running the same stale offense and many players and coaches have spoken about it. It's nothing more than a beat your man offense. No scheming at all. We have Cooper and don't know how to utilize him at all. Look at what Brady has to work with and what they do. This isn't high school. You can't just tell an offense to beat their man and expect that will get any consistent results.

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Had we called a bootleg rollout on the 4th and 1, hell he might have scored. They sold all out up the middle. But good ol Linehan thought we needed a run up the middle. When it had not worked none all night.

Here are all of the Cowboys' plays on first down against the Rams.   * = first play of drive.

* Elliott run 0 yards

Elliott run 2 yards

Pass to Cooper 29 yards, TD

* Pass to Schultz 20 yards

Elliott run 3 yards

* Elliott run 5 yards

*Pass to Elliott 12 yards

Pass to Cooper 5 yards

Elliott run 6 yards

Elliott run 3 yards

* Elliott run 3 yards

* Elliott run -2 yards

Pass to Gallup -1 yard

Pass to Gallup 44 yards

Elliott run 1 yard

* Elliott run 3 yards

Pass incomplete

Elliott run -4 yards

*Pass to Gallup 24 yards

Pass incomplete

Pass to Cooper 9 yards

Pass to Cooper 9 yards

Elliot run 0 yards

23 first down plays; 12 Elliott runs for 22 yards; 11 pass plays (9 complete) for 151 yards.  Many of the pass plays were dictated by the game situation; 4 of the 5 first down plays on the last drive were passes.  Of the 12 first down Elliott runs, ten were for 3 or fewer yards.  The others were 5 yards and 6 yards.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

Has there been any speculation on who could possibly replace Linehan?

I've heard Doug Nussmeier's name thrown out there as an internal candidate.  I'd pretty much hate that.  Hope the team thinks bigger than that.  I think we've seen the ceiling for Linehan running Garrett's schemes.  It's time to take the next step, even if we take a step back next year, as we need better schematics to overcome some of our HC's liabilities.

i said it in the game thread, the rams wanted us to run on first down.  they were able to show blitz, get dak to audible to a run (KILL KILL), and then back out of the blitz at least 3 times that i remember.  i can't believe the coaches couldn't see it.

13 minutes ago, Horndog said:

Here are all of the Cowboys' plays on first down against the Rams.   * = first play of drive.

* Elliott run 0 yards

Elliott run 2 yards

Pass to Cooper 29 yards, TD

* Pass to Schultz 20 yards

Elliott run 3 yards

* Elliott run 5 yards

*Pass to Elliott 12 yards

Pass to Cooper 5 yards

Elliott run 6 yards

Elliott run 3 yards

* Elliott run 3 yards

* Elliott run -2 yards

Pass to Gallup -1 yard

Pass to Gallup 44 yards

Elliott run 1 yard

* Elliott run 3 yards

Pass incomplete

Elliott run -4 yards

*Pass to Gallup 24 yards

Pass incomplete

Pass to Cooper 9 yards

Pass to Cooper 9 yards

Elliot run 0 yards

23 first down plays; 12 Elliott runs for 22 yards; 11 pass plays (9 complete) for 151 yards.  Many of the pass plays were dictated by the game situation; 4 of the 5 first down plays on the last drive were passes.  Of the 12 first down Elliott runs, ten were for 3 or fewer yards.  The others were 5 yards and 6 yards.  

But this guy could be every bit as imaginative.  

11pm2s.jpg

Edited by Trey3216

That is so overplayed....It would be an issue if JG was someone who wanted to show he has power but there are very few coaches in the NFL that would be able to hire a coach even if the GM or others in front office were against the hire.

How many of them publicly contradict their coach only hours after his press conference? Even if they didn’t agree with it, why not just let it play out?

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

This year? Try the entire era of Garrett starting in 2007 being lacking in creativity. The only reason it even looked as good as it did at times was because Romo audibled out of every shitty call. We are running the same stale offense and many players and coaches have spoken about it. It's nothing more than a beat your man offense. No scheming at all. We have Cooper and don't know how to utilize him at all. Look at what Brady has to work with and what they do. This isn't high school. You can't just tell an offense to beat their man and expect that will get any consistent results.

and it's Garrett's offense and it ain't changing with a new OC ...the Red Head Genius goes or you're stuck in 1993 4Life 

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

i said it in the game thread, the rams wanted us to run on first down.  they were able to show blitz, get dak to audible to a run (KILL KILL), and then back out of the blitz at least 3 times that i remember.  i can't believe the coaches couldn't see it.

Huh?  We were running into loaded boxes on first all night.... We also ran a ton of 12 or 21 packages.....

Here:

If true, our offensive game plan showed almost no scouting.

29 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Game is on the O and Dak’s inaccuracy. You intentionally fuck nasty chicks and share the evidence. 

Wow cool rebuttal Rex Kramer. Nice input from you as always.

And if you shrug off this god awful defensive effort, then you are delusional. Defense was straight up trash from the opening play. 9 drives and 1 punt? Cool effort guys. 0 sacks, 2 tackles for loss and hit Goff exactly one time.

But yep, this game is all Dak as usual.

Defense showed not one ounce of fight all night. None. Demoralizing drive after demoralizing drive all game long. This is 95% on them. They set the tone.

Edited by Vic Mackey