Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

20 minutes ago, Blanton said:

Give Garrett next year and depending on injuries, etc. reevaluate his contract following 2019 season.

We should be fine personnel-wise next year and now it comes down to straight up coaching. Making it to the divisional round after the fucking mess we were in following Monday Night Football was an accomplishment. 

He’s had 8 full season as HC, how much more evaluations are needed?  

He sucks.  Can his ass. 

• Like 4

I really look at Garrett over the last 5 years when the Offensive Identity became what it is now.  The Romo Days with not defense are long gone...since 2014 they have 3 Divisions Titles and as much playoff success as they had the 16  years before.  No it's not enough, and they wanted to fire him now, I'd be okay with it.

But let's not act like there is a huge difference in 2011-2013 Garrett teams and 2014-2018 where they've won more games than almost anyone.

Just now, Sgt Hulk said:

It’s obvious ginger has a video of Jones with some women of the night and he’s holding Jones blackmail. It’s the only way this dude has kept his job 

do you keep up with the team?  it’s gonna have to be a lot worse than that to even move the needle. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Big Frog II said:

Does anyone think Jason can win a Super Bowl?  How about even get to one?  We know the answer, unfortunately who out there wants to work for Jerry?

No, his style of coaching offense means you have to be almost perfect in team and personnel management and execution to win a SB. Also need at least a little luck. 

Just this season alone he failed to recognize an exhausted defense that turned poor down the stretch, allowed an absolutely ridiculous play call on that 4th and 1 to start the 4th down 8, and allowed his defense to get figured out and shifts to get intercepted by the opposition. 

That's the opposite of the precision needed to win this style of grind out wins against the league's best in the highest stake games. 

It’s obvious ginger has a video of Jones with some women of the night and he’s holding Jones blackmail. It’s the only way this dude has kept his job 
It's known Jerry is a womanizer. Hell he used to be out in Austin with a different young piece of pussy every time he was out. His wife knows it. It's accepted. This won't even move the needle at all. Hell those pics released of him with those young women some years back hardly did anything.

Garrett is apart of this team. Wade and Parcells were outsiders. And Garrett stays out of Jerry's way and knows how to handle him. Jerry loves being comfortable. Parcells was the complete opposite. But he only used him to get that new stadium built.

5 hours ago, Drew said:

I really look at Garrett over the last 5 years when the Offensive Identity became what it is now.  The Romo Days with not defense are long gone...since 2014 they have 3 Divisions Titles and as much playoff success as they had the 16  years before.  No it's not enough, and they wanted to fire him now, I'd be okay with it.

But let's not act like there is a huge difference in 2011-2013 Garrett teams and 2014-2018 where they've won more games than almost anyone.

I agree with this to a certain extent, but you’re not looking at the bigger picture. I’m convinced Garrett is the most stubborn HC in the league. For example, when your team hasn’t been able to run the ball all game, and you have a 4th and 1 in (at that point) the biggest moment in the game, you don’t run directly into their two best defenders. You just don’t. That’s just common sense.

He refuses to make adjustments as the game is going on. In his mind it’s “No, this is what we saw on film, and this is what I know will work eventually. Were going to do what we do, and not worry about what you’re doing.” You just can’t do that in today’s nfl. Like I said before, he’s probably one of the best Monday through Saturday. But if we’re 8-9 years in, and he’s still this bad at making adjustments on Sunday’s, it’s never going to happen. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’m hearing that this TE draft class unbelievably deep. Arguably 10 TEs in the top 100 overall players according to a lot of scouting services. That definitely bodes well for this team. If there’s one thing about this team that you can hang your hat on, they draft well/scout really well. 

Except at TE. We're better at some positions than others. 

I mean, for the 137th overall pick, what exactly where you expecting out of Shultz?  He progressed as the year went on. Jarwin is clearly coming along, and considering what Geoff Swaim was at Texas, I’d say he’s developed about as quickly as you could hope for.  Rico was always a pipe dream. From the moment we drafted him. But he was a last round flyer. The biggest issue with our TE development was Jason Witten, to be honest. I’d be interested in seeing how Bennett or Escobar would’ve turned out if Witten wasn’t knowingly/actively blocking their development. I’ll give McClay the benefit of the doubt if he takes a TE in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

18 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I mean, for the 137th overall pick, what exactly where you expecting out of Shultz?  He progressed as the year went on. Jarwin is clearly coming along, and considering what Geoff Swaim was at Texas, I’d say he’s developed about as quickly as you could hope for.  Rico was always a pipe dream. From the moment we drafted him. But he was a last round flyer. The biggest issue with our TE development was Jason Witten, to be honest. I’d be interested in seeing how Bennett or Escobar would’ve turned out if Witten wasn’t knowingly/actively blocking their development. I’ll give McClay the benefit of the doubt if he takes a TE in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

Actively blocking their development?  I mean, dude wants to play, did he put superglue in their shoes?  Bennett was talented, but very immature and Escobar sucks, it why he's out of the fucking league.  Fasano, Parcells' boy had a nice career as a backup TE but none of 2nd rounders we spent on the position have worked out.  I'd rather take BPA, unless it's a RB.  This team needs about everything so it's in a good position to not try and force something.  If it's a TE.... great.  Let's hope the curse of Witten has been extinguished.

38 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I wasnt referencing Shultz. I'm talking about all the 2nd round TE misses we've had over the last 15 years. Basically every TE we've taken in the top 100 over the past 15 years has been a bust for us except Witten. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I wasnt referencing Shultz. I'm talking about all the 2nd round TE misses we've had over the last 15 years. Basically every TE we've taken in the top 100 over the past 15 years has been a bust for us except Witten. 

Rico will be all-pro next year.  12 TDs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Actively blocking their development?  I mean, dude wants to play, did he put superglue in their shoes?  Bennett was talented, but very immature and Escobar sucks, it why he's out of the fucking league.  Fasano, Parcells' boy had a nice career as a backup TE but none of 2nd rounders we spent on the position have worked out.  I'd rather take BPA, unless it's a RB.  This team needs about everything so it's in a good position to not try and force something.  If it's a TE.... great.  Let's hope the curse of Witten has been extinguished.

It’s been talked about numerous times on various Dallas Cowboys podcasts that are run by the team (cowboys break, talking cowboys, hanging with the boys, etc). He viewed any other TE as a threat to his playing time, and would go out of his way to make sure he didn’t help them succeed. You can argue whether or not that was part of his job as the starting TE, but as a leader on the team, it’s kinda shitty.

Call it the “curse of Witten” if you want, but this has been well documented by people close to the team. And who knows, maybe he was doing it because he thought they were shitty teammates. Point is, I’m not pulling this out of my ass. 

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

It's known Jerry is a womanizer. Hell he used to be out in Austin with a different young piece of pussy every time he was out. His wife knows it. It's accepted. This won't even move the needle at all. Hell those pics released of him with those young women some years back hardly did anything.

Garrett is apart of this team. Wade and Parcells were outsiders. And Garrett stays out of Jerry's way and knows how to handle him. Jerry loves being comfortable. Parcells was the complete opposite. But he only used him to get that new stadium built.

When you say Jason knows how to handle Jerry, do you mean like Rihanna knew how to handle Chris Brown? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Richard Kimball said:

When you say Jason knows how to handle Jerry, do you mean like Rihanna knew how to handle Chris Brown? 

Jason knows how to kiss ass and avoid Jerry's wrath for lacking what it takes to win in January. Best thing Garrett ever did was start calling Jerrah "Daddy"

Edited by Junior Miller

12 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I agree with this to a certain extent, but you’re not looking at the bigger picture. I’m convinced Garrett is the most stubborn HC in the league. For example, when your team hasn’t been able to run the ball all game, and you have a 4th and 1 in (at that point) the biggest moment in the game, you don’t run directly into their two best defenders. You just don’t. That’s just common sense.

The look on Garrett's face during the games is the classic "deer in the headlights" look. He never screams at refs, he pleads with them. He goes even easier on his players when they fuck up. I still think they're going to find a way to replace Linehan. Jones may be loyal to Garrett, but by now surely he realizes what his shortcomings are. The biggest way to improve this team is with an OC. Then of course, a good off-season acquisition or three.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

26 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

The look on Garrett's face during the games is the classic "deer in the headlights" look. He never screams at refs, he pleads with them. He goes even easier on his players when they fuck up. I still think they're going to find a way to replace Linehan. Jones may be loyal to Garrett, but by now surely he realizes what his shortcomings are. The biggest way to improve this team is with an OC. Then of course, a good off-season acquisition or three.

Won't even work if he does it because the new OC will clash with Garrett's style of plodding old offense built on "beating the man across from you" and since Garrett's the golden bitch here the new OC will have two choices: call games just like Linehan does now like Garrett wants or see the same fate as the Minnesota OC who didn't even last this one whole season because of the same issue. 

Linehan didn't call offense like this in Detroit. This is Garrett's bullshit. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Big Frog II said:

Does anyone think Jason can win a Super Bowl?  How about even get to one?  We know the answer, unfortunately who out there wants to work for Jerry?

No.

It’s actually the opposite.  Jason Garrett’s the kind of coach that KEEPS his team from winning Super Bowls.

1 minute ago, BigDHornfan said:

I would love this although Payton leaves a lot to be desired and he makes some shitty decisions as much as Garrett does at times. But I am for anyone but Garrett at this point, as is everyone else.

Did Payton leave on good terms with Jerry? I don't remember how that departure went.

26 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

After all, they did Hire Sean away from us, so fuck them.

I guess Parcells hung on for one more year. Couldn't Jerry have seen the writing on the  wall and kept Payton? Maybe a heart to heart with Bill about his future? How would that have changed the last dozen years for Cowboy fans?

As I recall, Brees left SD when they hired Rivers. Brees had a shoulder problem and went for a song and a dance to NO. Payton is smart. He might have brought Brees here. Who knows.

According to this - Romo's dropped snap against the Seahawks is what convinced Parcells to give it up.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/40216-bill-parcells-comes-clean-about-why-he-left-dallas-cowboys

In any case, I would be surprised to see Payton coming back to work for the Jones Boys.

Also found this. Thought it interesting:

"Flying to Dallas on the private jet of Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was cool enough for Sean Payton, a newly hired member of the coaching staff. But his seat assignment made the trip mesmerizing.

Next to him, Bill Parcells was conducting a coaching clinic with a ballpoint pen and a cocktail napkin.

Payton had spoken to Parcells only once — and merely by phone — before agreeing to coach the Cowboys’ quarterbacks in 2003. But as the napkins covered in Xs and Os piled up, Payton knew he’d met his match — and his mentor.

“The football, the passion, those were the things he got excited about,” Payton recalled. “We drew on napkins for about 2 1/2 hours. He did most of the drawing. I just watched and listened.”

For Payton, it was the beginning a three-year apprenticeship that led to his first head coaching job in 2006, at age 42, with the moribund New Orleans Saints.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/football/new-orleans-saints-coach-sean-payton-found-mentor-when-worked-for-bill-parcells/PjbfWo2SkiVgS58Uj0JfKN/

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

2 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Won't even work if he does it because the new OC will clash with Garrett's style of plodding old offense built on "beating the man across from you" and since Garrett's the golden bitch here the new OC will have two choices: call games just like Linehan does now like Garrett wants or see the same fate as the Minnesota OC who didn't even last this one whole season because of the same issue. 

Linehan didn't call offense like this in Detroit. This is Garrett's bullshit. 

A good question that somebody ought to be asking is "Who made that 4th and 1 call?" Ultimately it was Garrett's decision, but someone needs to ask him if Linehan suggested it, or did he suggest something else and get overruled.

6 hours ago, futureman said:

garrett’s bullshit worked with romo.  but we didn’t have a defense.  now we have a defense but there’s a fullback taking shotgun snaps.    

Yeah man that defense sure was on display the last quarter of the season. Lmao. That was the most pathetic display of defense I have ever seen last week. Giving up almost 300 yards on the ground and half of it was to some out of work bum? Defense still isn't there. They reverted back to sucking.

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yeah man that defense sure was on display the last quarter of the season. Lmao. That was the most pathetic display of defense I have ever seen last week. Giving up almost 300 yards on the ground and half of it was to some out of work bum? Defense still isn't there. They reverted back to sucking.

poor vic.  can’t take a neg.  you’re very sensitive