The way too early 2019 LSU at Texas game discussion

4th and 5

38 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

This.

In fact, I can't think of a worse opponent than Texas to get into an aerial slugfest with.  We can throw it around in a variety of ways, our quarterback can burn you on the ground, and our secondary is damned good.  Sure, there are teams like OU who can kill you through the air like we can, but they don't have our secondary.

I would've been more worried about LSU last year.  Y'all want to bring a spread passing offense into Austin, where every kid on our defense has been defending that since he was 14 and they see it at the highest levels in the Big 12, and you're new to it?  Go right ahead.

They will come out with 2 TEs and run power till we stop it or adjust. 

If we can confuse Burrow's reads like we did to Fromm, it will lead to stalled drives or turnovers.  Fromm got antsy even when not under pressure after a couple hits.  Scoring on our first drive would be great for confidence on both sides of the ball as well.

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I mean Georgia Southern might not be a playoff contender but they are certainly miles better than Georgia State.

You sure about that?  

2014 Ga. So. 69 Ga. St. 31

2015 Ga St. 34 Ga. So. 7

2016 Ga. St. 30 Ga. So. 24

2017 Ga. St. 27 Ga. So. 17

2018 Ga. So. 35 Ga. St. 14

Looks to be a back and forth series between evenly matched programs. 

• Like 1

This team is a 4 point dog at home?  Yeah I know we've all got battered spouse syndrome from the last decade, but does that not seem kind of high?  I don't have any huckleberry algorithms to back this up but my gut puts the odds of us losing by more than a field goal at well under 50%.

In LSU's last three road games, they lost to Florida, beat an atrocious Arkansas team 24-17, and lost to middling (albeit ref-aided) aggy. In their bowl game, they edged out UCF, which was playing with their backup QB. One thumping of Georgia State and countless declarations of a new, unbeatable offense later and they are suddenly world beaters and 4-point favorites on the road over Texas? I understand SECSECSEC and all that, but I'm not seeing the basis for this seemingly widespread confidence that LSU is going to roll into Austin and pull out a huge road win over a team that plays very well in big games.

• Like 3

From watching a portion of their game, it looks like they incorporated spread concepts you would see at OU or OSU, and using the no huddle tempo a lot. Basically what every team uses in the Big 12. I’m just thankful Burrow isn’t a true dual threat. We still have to deal with Fournette and some talented WRs. 

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

From watching a portion of their game, it looks like they incorporated spread concepts you would see at OU or OSU, and using the no huddle tempo a lot. Basically what every team uses in the Big 12. I’m just thankful Burrow isn’t a true dual threat. We still have to deal with Fournette and some talented WRs. 

Fournette? I think you mean Emery

13 minutes ago, Voluminous Banality said:

In LSU's last three road games, they lost to Florida, beat an atrocious Arkansas team 24-17, and lost to middling (albeit ref-aided) aggy. In their bowl game, they edged out UCF, which was playing with their backup QB. One thumping of Georgia State and countless declarations of a new, unbeatable offense later and they are suddenly world beaters and 4-point favorites on the road over Texas? I understand SECSECSEC and all that, but I'm not seeing the basis for this seemingly widespread confidence that LSU is going to roll into Austin and pull out a huge road win over a team that plays very well in big games.

When did LSU play Georgia State?

One thing to look at is the talent differential.

Based on star rating team composite

Georgia State avg 79.4  (LA. Tech avg 81.53)

Texas avg 89.85

LSU avg 90.6

I really hope LSU comes in super cocky thinking their win yesterday means something and they read all of the pro-SEC press clippings.

The fact that in effect LSU is favored by 7 (accounting for normal home field value) is crazy to me.

I cannot wait for Saturday.

Rhythm is big when running the no huddle tempo offense. This will be LSU’s first time going against an actual defense with this new offense and Texas sees this type of offense often. It will be interesting to see how LSU reacts when their rhythm is thrown off and 95,000 people are yelling against them. 

One thing to look at is the talent differential.
Based on star rating team composite
Georgia State avg 79.4  (LA. Tech avg 81.53)
Texas avg 89.85
LSU avg 90.6
I really hope LSU comes in super cocky thinking their win yesterday means something and they read all of the pro-SEC press clippings.
The fact that in effect LSU is favored by 7 (accounting for normal home field value) is crazy to me.
I cannot wait for Saturday.

Have to adjust the composite star rating. La tech had juniors and seniors all up and down their starting roster including a fifth year senior qb. Take two teams that have identical star ratings and one is starting all freshmen and one is starting all seniors? Which will be better? The starting point isn’t important, it’s the point the team is at when it takes the field that affects the play on that field.

LSU ran the ball really poorly in their opener. If they can’t get consistent yardage on the ground (a la Georgia in the Sugar Bowl), I’m confident that we’ll win. As someone said above, we see this spread passing shit on the reg and where we struggle is when it is combined with a good running game, especially a mobile QB. 

I watched the first half of that scrimmage against Georgia Whatever. They are a triple option team. They average 8 passes per game, if that. Their defense is small and shitty. There is literally nothing to garner from that game other than the fact that LSU has talented players all over the field. Chase, Jefferson, and Marshall are all good. They have 4 solid RBs. Pretty good O-line it seems. Burrow is a solid game manager, though I think he will struggle with pressure. Their defense is legit and elite, and Delpit is an obvious NFL player. LSU is pretty similar to Texas actually, though we have a much more dangerous QB. Our WR corps and passing game is going to be a massive step up in competition from their week 1 opponent.

Our RB depth could be an issue, and we obviously can't miss tackles. I am concerned about our #2 CB. Their "new offense" is nothing that we haven't faced before, and it is not going to be run better than what we see at the top of the Big 12. If Texas can match LSU in the scoring department and surprise them with our physicality like we did against Georgia, we will win this game. We want a cocky, overconfident SEC team to come into Austin thinking Texas is a soft BDF team.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sejjr said:

I watched the first half of that scrimmage against Georgia Whatever. They are a triple option team. They average 8 passes per game, if that. Their defense is small and shitty. There is literally nothing to garner from that game other than the fact that LSU has talented players all over the field. Chase, Jefferson, and Marshall are all good. They have 4 solid RBs. Pretty good O-line it seems. Burrow is a solid game manager, though I think he will struggle with pressure. Their defense is legit and elite, and Delpit is an obvious NFL player. LSU is pretty similar to Texas actually, though we have a much more dangerous QB. Our WR corps and passing game is going to be a massive step up in competition from their week 1 opponent.

Our RB depth could be an issue, and we obviously can't miss tackles. I am concerned about our #2 CB. Their "new offense" is nothing that we haven't faced before, and it is not going to be run better than what we see at the top of the Big 12. If Texas can match LSU in the scoring department and surprise them with our physicality like we did against Georgia, we will win this game. We want a cocky, overconfident SEC team to come into Austin thinking Texas is a soft BDF team.

If we're going to surprise them with our physicality we're going to need to clean up the tackling this week. Our DBs looked weak and uninspired when it came to tackling receivers. Also it would be nice if a LB outside of Ossai showed up. They have a huge advantage in that department. 

Edited by Bruh Man

Which is exactly what will happen, and Sam and Co will make them tap out. Espn will struggle to comprehend that their "great" LSU team just didn't want to be there. 

just what fucking planet are you on thinking that we’re not going to show up?

i can guarantee that we WANT to be there, and we’re going to show the fuck up with our best effort. we’re a veteran squad with sr and jr leadership all over our lineup on both sides of the ball. they know what’s up.

you have our full attention. we’re coming with our hair on fire and motivated...best believe that.

if your hopes lie in us taking you or this game lightly, that we can show up and smile and get it done, you’d do well to dash those hopes immediately.

• Like 3

If we're going to surprise them with our physicality we're going to need to clean up the tackling this week. Our DBs looked weak and uninspired when it came to tackling receivers. Also it would be nice if a LB outside of Ossai showed up. They have a huge advantage in that department. 

The magnitude of this game is going to be pretty crazy. The young dbs are going to be amped so hopefully composure and decision making will be stressed as well.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Texas vs Lsu game has some bad blood brewing...

• Herman spurning Lsu and taking Texas job instead
  • Cajun Cookie Monster blocking Texas from summer camps in Louisiana

• Chaisson talking trash about Ehlinger (they played each other in 6A State Finals)

• Chaisson making fun of Texas/Herman when he flipped his 2017 commitment from Texas to Lsu

• Caden Sterns choosing Texas over Lsu

• Jalen Green picked Texas instead of Lsu

• Anthony Cook selected Texas over Lsu

• Malcolm Roach was not offered a scholarship by Lsu

• Mike Williams left Texas to transfer to Lsu

Other Texas & Lsu interesting points:  

• Herman tried to hire Lsu's Dave Aranda for Texas DC job (Herman and Aranda were roommates for a short time in college)
  • Herman recruited Burrow for Ohio State.
  • Lsu RB Coach Tommie Robinson previously coached at Texas

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, TexArcher said:

This.

In fact, I can't think of a worse opponent than Texas to get into an aerial slugfest with.  We can throw it around in a variety of ways, our quarterback can burn you on the ground, and our secondary is damned good.  Sure, there are teams like OU who can kill you through the air like we can, but they don't have our secondary.

I would've been more worried about LSU last year.  Y'all want to bring a spread passing offense into Austin, where every kid on our defense has been defending that since he was 14 and they see it at the highest levels in the Big 12, and you're new to it?  Go right ahead.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/27090424/steele-defensive-backs-ratings-reloaded-lsu-secondary-tops-list

But they don't have our secondary???