The way too early 2019 LSU at Texas game discussion

4th and 5

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Good Find. What was his role for the Saints? I'd like to see what his past coaching stops were since he was supposed to be the RPO expert for the Saints:

EDIT:

Looks like Michigan is also moving to a spread offense:

When Michigan hired Harbaugh, my opinion was that tOSU was still going to dominate Michigan just off the strength that Michigan would be running Harbaugh's pro-style offense, while tOSU is running a modern spread offense. And that's exactly how it played out. I can't believe it's taken 4+ years & after Urban Meyer leaves tOSU for Harbaugh to finally start go in this direction.

Edited by TheMailBox357

This change by LSU feels like when FUPM went crazy after Alabama MNC loss and moved to power running game.

You need the right players. Their OLine is built for roadgrading not wide split/pass blocking.

I think them trying to break this system in week 2 on the road plays to Texas' advantage. With that said it certainly reduces amount of film/tendencies on hand for Orlando to use in game planning.

2 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

This change by LSU feels like when FUPM went crazy after Alabama MNC loss and moved to power running game.

You need the right players. Their OLine is built for roadgrading not wide split/pass blocking.

I think them trying to break this system in week 2 on the road plays to Texas' advantage. With that said it certainly reduces amount of film/tendencies on hand for Orlando to use in game planning.

It's a slight disadvantage for Herman & Co. having only one game film of the new offense, but I generally agree with all of this.  Completely revamping the offense after years of the relatively same and mostly inept scheme probably won't bring success overnight. 

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

It's a slight disadvantage for Herman & Co. having only one game film of the new offense, but I generally agree with all of this.  Completely revamping the offense after years of the relatively same and mostly inept scheme probably won't bring success overnight. 

The reality is that Orgeron is a meddling rube and won't let the offense stray too far from anything he's comfortable with, so I expect the changes they're making to hold up about as well as Shawn Watson's changes heading into the 2015 @ Notre Dame game. By the second quarter of the Texas game, they'll have abandoned half of the shit they're implying they'll be moving towards. 

And, frankly, even if they balls out commit to the RPO, up tempo, and 5 wide concepts, I cannot think of an opposing QB we'll face in 2019 with less ability to strike fear in a DC and defensive personnel than Joe Burrows. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

this would be a kid who switched from receiver to DB this past spring and will never see the field at either position, but whatever...you go with that.

Probably a good call given the recent Keontay and Whittington highlights. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The reality is that Orgeron is a meddling rube and won't let the offense stray too far from anything he's comfortable with, so I expect the changes they're making to hold up about as well as Shawn Watson's changes heading into the 2015 @ Notre Dame game. By the second quarter of the Texas game, they'll have abandoned half of the shit they're implying they'll be moving towards. 

And, frankly, even if they balls out commit to the RPO, up tempo, and 5 wide concepts, I cannot think of an opposing QB we'll face in 2019 with less ability to strike fear in a DC and defensive personnel than Joe Burrows. 

Wait do you mean to tell me that a 28-year old who’s being hired as co-WR coach and has never been a named assistant coach at any level is not going to come in and magically revamp an offense that’s been stuck in the stone ages led by one of the most mediocre QBs of all time? Well, I am just shocked. 

It’s not a bad hire, but the fact he’s being billed as some savior of their offense should tell people all they need to know about the state of their offensive scheme. If anything, they’ll be worse at running their traditional O becuase they spent so much time working on all this new stuff they won’t use. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This can't be repeated enough.   That's why I like our chances vs what the smart guys in Vegas and ESPN say.   

• Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 8:50 AM, texifornia said:

So they simultaneously are moving to a full spread while running out a cetacean line. Good luck with that.

On 4/7/2019 at 10:06 AM, Nivek said:

Pos rep for cetacean

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

I get where you were going here, but doesn't Cetacea also include dolphins, porpoises and other marine mammals like orca that may be fast and agile, besides just the big, blubbery whales. Let's trust they have more of the latter than the former.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The thing is, the up-tempo and 5 wide concepts are thrown around as if they are the essential elements of what goes into making an RPO offense click, but... they aren't. Those are just tools in the bag, not the nuts and bolts of what RPO concepts actually involve. And if you keep that thought in mind while reviewing what LSU folks (including Burrow himself in his post-spring game interview) say about the changes being made to their offense, you get the strong impression that they don't really get what it is they are trying to do. Hell, every team in America has 5 wide plays in their playbook. Not everyone is dedicated, though, to the conceptual framework that goes into deciding on alignments based on opponent tendencies plus previous playcalls, etc., and then making the correct pre-snap reads and adjustments, and understanding how to then make the correct post-snap reads and adjustments.

I am snickering-bordering-on-hysterical-laughter over the thought of any team coached by Ed Orgeron and quarterbacked by Joe Burrow exploiting even average defenses on that basis. I expect their talent to be thoroughly under utilized all season long, but especially in week 2 of the season. I also expect them to revert to run first, run second, run third by week three at the latest.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Good Find. What was his role for the Saints? I'd like to see what his past coaching stops were since he was supposed to be the RPO expert for the Saints:

Just saw this article:

Looks like Joe Brady was a GA at Penn State when Joe Moorhead the OC back in 2016. That's where he learned spread RPO offense.

• Fuck You 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stewart Mandel and Bruce Feldman both named this their most anticipated early season game in the latest Audible podcast episode. As i was listening to that, an obvious point occurred to me that has probably been discussed before:  College GameDay will almost certainly be coming to our cittttaaaayyyyy....

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 2:59 PM, Walden Ponderer said:

The thing is, the up-tempo and 5 wide concepts are thrown around as if they are the essential elements of what goes into making an RPO offense click, but... they aren't. Those are just tools in the bag, not the nuts and bolts of what RPO concepts actually involve. And if you keep that thought in mind while reviewing what LSU folks (including Burrow himself in his post-spring game interview) say about the changes being made to their offense, you get the strong impression that they don't really get what it is they are trying to do. Hell, every team in America has 5 wide plays in their playbook. Not everyone is dedicated, though, to the conceptual framework that goes into deciding on alignments based on opponent tendencies plus previous playcalls, etc., and then making the correct pre-snap reads and adjustments, and understanding how to then make the correct post-snap reads and adjustments.

I am snickering-bordering-on-hysterical-laughter over the thought of any team coached by Ed Orgeron and quarterbacked by Joe Burrow exploiting even average defenses on that basis. I expect their talent to be thoroughly under utilized all season long, but especially in week 2 of the season. I also expect them to revert to run first, run second, run third by week three at the latest.

Yeah. There's that. But I'm not exactly sure how a team can run RPOs out of 5 wide sets. I'm guessing via motion but that doesn't seem like a RPO. 

Either way advantage aggy. 

On 4/8/2019 at 1:55 PM, Nueces River Rat said:

This can't be repeated enough.   That's why I like our chances vs what the smart guys in Vegas and ESPN say.   

The line is not just a prediction, it's a sales pitch. It's also based on how many bets have been placed.

3 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Yeah. There's that. But I'm not exactly sure how a team can run RPOs out of 5 wide sets. I'm guessing via motion but that doesn't seem like a RPO. 

Either way advantage aggy. 

If you have the right QB, RPO out of 5 wide actually makes sense from time to time, but my real point was actually that LSU folk seem to be conflating HUNH concepts with RPO concepts. And while those two things frequently go hand in hand, they are fundamentally different. One is about tempo and personnel, and the other is about exploiting a specific defensive decision tree. LSU might be able to pull off transition from their old way of doing things, but I am not at all convinced they have the right strategists on staff to do it.

• 2 weeks later...