Honolulu

Neonmoon

• 6 months later...
4 hours ago, Honeysucklerose said:

I will push this back to the top instead of starting a new thread. My wife turns 30 this year (no, idiots) and I would like to take her to Hawaii.

Any good places you have stayed in Honolulu? Advice or tips??

Skip Oahu and go to the Big Island. Fly into Kona. Find an air bnb anywhere on west side of island (no rain). Rent Jeep. Explore everything. Bang wife. Profit, etc. 

If you must go to Oahu, mother of god do not stay in Honolulu. North Shore. 

My wife turns 30 this year as well. Yay.

Edited by Girdwood

Gird is right about skipping Oahu, but the island(s) you do choose to visit depends on what you want to do.  Kauai is mostly gorgeous tropical rain forest, and what you typically see in films shot in Hawaii.  The Big Island is the least lush of the islands, but is still beautiful, and great if exploring volcanoes is your thing.  Maui is a good compromise between the two, and offers some of the best snorkeling in the world. 

I usually roll my eyes when someone posts a travel location and all of Surly comes back with why they need to go to someplace different. But in this case it's probably true. Honolulu, especially Waikiki, is Times Square with an ocean. Crowded and expensive, everything you do has to be planned and will take longer than it should. It's easy enough to fly there and jump to a different island, or drive to North Shore or one of the eastern Oahu spots.

Pearl Harbor is worth a visit for a half day though.

2 hours ago, Bartles said:

I usually roll my eyes when someone posts a travel location and all of Surly comes back with why they need to go to someplace different. But in this case it's probably true. Honolulu, especially Waikiki, is Times Square with an ocean. Crowded and expensive, everything you do has to be planned and will take longer than it should. It's easy enough to fly there and jump to a different island, or drive to North Shore or one of the eastern Oahu spots.

Pearl Harbor is worth a visit for a half day though.

After being forced to visit...this is correct. Waikiki is a cross between rodeo drive and Disneyland. The beach is beautiful but so is every other beach there. It’s a crowded tourist trap full of fat Midwest people and half of China. 

We drove to North Shore. Seeing the island was nice and the beach was beautiful but that’s about it. Not much infrastructure which is good but after you visit the beach, nothing to do but go home 

Edited by Neonmoon

Yeah, we scored some pretty good flight deals for my brother's 30th, and are headed there in September for 9 days. Headed immediately to Kauai then the big Island. We are staying one night in Waikiki from a hot-wire deal, as we fly out of HNL back home, but we will be there less than 24 hours. Hopefully just long enough to tour Pearl.

14 hours ago, Honeysucklerose said:

I will push this back to the top instead of starting a new thread. My wife turns 30 this year (no, idiots) and I would like to take her to Hawaii.

Any good places you have stayed in Honolulu? Advice or tips??

If you’re intent on staying on Oahu, check out Kailua. Watching the sunrise while sitting on Lanikai Beach followed by coffee and a breakfast sandwich at Kalapawai Market is my typical morning routine when I’m visiting my sister.

There is very cool hike to some WWII-era pillboxes with great views of the sunrise and The Mokes. Get there early and go to the last pillbox to avoid the crowds.

Hawaiian BBQ at Oneawa Market.

Drinks at Creekside.

Edited by HornPhD

Was going to say the exact same thing on Kailua. Get a rental car and gtfo to kailua ASAP. Find an Airbnb in the neighborhood within a couple blocks of one of the kailua beach entrances. North shore is cool/stuff to see and do, but it’s a total cluster f of traffic with the two lane roads. Saw a small military convoy going 20mph stack traffic up for multiple miles last time I drove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk