2019 Big 12 Baseball Thread

Bash Riprock

5 conference teams ranked in the preseason top 25.

Link

Vanderbilt

35-27

LSU

39-27

Texas Tech

45-20

Louisville

45-19

UCLA

38-21

Florida

49-21

North Carolina

44-20

Oregon State

55-12-1

Georgia

39-21

Ole Miss

48-17

East Carolina

44-18

Stanford

46-12

Florida State

43-19

Mississippi State

39-29

Baylor

37-21

Arkansas

48-21

Michigan

33-21

Oklahoma State

31-26-1

TCU

33-23

Wake Forest

25-32

Coastal Carolina

43-19

Auburn

43-23

Texas

42-23

Clemson

47-16

Cal State Fullerton

36-25

Edited by Bash Riprock

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 1:21 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

Can't wait!

We have a really nice slate of non-conference opponents this year: USC, UCLA, Michigan, Missouri State, Iowa, Oregon State, Wichita State and ORU.

Tell us about your new stadium for 2020 (O'brate Stadium).   Looks  to be an amazing stadium,  upper echelon in  college baseball.    Is it located near Allie P  ?    Hope they include the monuments/memorabilia from Allie P  to honor your history.    Need to keep the Allie P name somewhere,  maybe Allie P field. 

5abd5aa2abf8f.image.jpg

On 1/26/2019 at 6:44 PM, torre said:

Tell us about your new stadium for 2020 (O'brate Stadium).   Looks  to be an amazing stadium,  upper echelon in  college baseball.    Is it located near Allie P  ?    Hope they include the monuments/memorabilia from Allie P  to honor your history.    Need to keep the Allie P name somewhere,  maybe Allie P field. 

5abd5aa2abf8f.image.jpg

Yeah I'm SUPER excited for the new stadium.  It's something that's been in the works for YEARS. 

I think their goal with it was to make a top 5 stadium in college baseball. We'll see.... but from all of the renderings and videos and everything, it looks like it's going to be sweet.

It's not located exactly where Allie P. is.... It's about 2-3 blocks northwest of there, directly north of the Tennis facility. 

They haven't announced anything yet, in terms of doing something with the Allie P. name or any other monuments, but knowing that Josh Holiday has such an intimate knowledge of OSU baseball history and talks about how important it is all the time, I'd be very surprised if they didn't have something pretty cool planned.

On 1/26/2019 at 6:44 PM, torre said:

5abd5aa2abf8f.image.jpg

Man, I am jealous.  That is pretty much exactly what I wanted them to do with The Disch when they did the renovation.  The open concourse setup is so much better.

On 2/1/2019 at 3:26 PM, Okie State said:

OSU throwbacks to the 1959 championship team are pretty cool.29e0d7b53202594d38ac2b14ff263102.jpg

At least that team actually won a title.

59949e2af0927.image.jpg?resize=400,300

Also, please Texas Tech would you please make it to a bracket final in Omaha so you can be removed from the list you share with A&M and Northwestern?

Yeah, I have no problem with the Oklahoma State program, but you're being silly if you don't recognize that 1945 claim as an even bigger joke than most. Nobody alive in 1945 thought Oklahoma State was the best team in the country at that time. Even if you don't consider Army a college football team, for which you could make a reasonable argument considering the situation at the time, Alabama had a much better claim to being the second best team that year

A standard power rating system would have favored Army over Oklahoma state by 45 points in 1945. And if you do consider Army a college football team, which pretty much everyone does, they weren't just the best team in 1945, they were likely the best team of all time. They beat four Top 10 teams that year by an average score of 42-5. These teams weren't just Top 10 when they played Army, they also finished Top 10.

Oklahoma State's 1945 claim is the rough equivalent of Tulane claiming the 1998 national championship.

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

At least that team actually won a title.

59949e2af0927.image.jpg?resize=400,300

Also, please Texas Tech would you please make it to a bracket final in Omaha so you can be removed from the list you share with A&M and Northwestern?

I support this post.

Please just follow through and win the whole damned thing...

Yeah, I have no problem with the Oklahoma State program, but you're being silly if you don't recognize that 1945 claim as an even bigger joke than most. Nobody alive in 1945 thought Oklahoma State was the best team in the country at that time. Even if you don't consider Army a college football team, for which you could make a reasonable argument considering the situation at the time, Alabama had a much better claim to being the second best team that year
A standard power rating system would have favored Army over Oklahoma state by 45 points in 1945. And if you do consider Army a college football team, which pretty much everyone does, they weren't just the best team in 1945, they were likely the best team of all time. They beat four Top 10 teams that year by an average score of 42-5. These teams weren't just Top 10 when they played Army, they also finished Top 10.
Oklahoma State's 1945 claim is the rough equivalent of Tulane claiming the 1998 national championship.

I'm indifferent as it has zero impact on my life and I had zero input into the decision. Also not relevant to this thread so I'll bow out.
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2019 at 3:32 PM, Huckleberry said:

Don't worry.  None of us take it seriously.  I think they did it just to piss off the Landthieves crowd.  

8 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

So @Al_4_ISU when are y'all going to say fuck it and join back up. You had some of the best uni's in the Big XII.

Image result for iowa state baseball 2001

I'd be down.

I never really gave a fuck back when we had a team though.  We were always pretty terrible, IIRC.  I suppose I'd follow it just out of principle, and being able to catch games on our Tier III channel.  

In all reality, some donor would pretty much have to singlehandedly fund it.  We aren't going to add a non-revenue male sport any time soon.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'd be down.

I never really gave a fuck back when we had a team though.  We were always pretty terrible, IIRC.  I suppose I'd follow it just out of principle, and being able to catch games on our Tier III channel.  

In all reality, some donor would pretty much have to singlehandedly fund it.  We aren't going to add a non-revenue male sport any time soon.

Yeah it's tough up there. I looked up Iowa's schedule and they play their first 10 games on the road and don't have a home game until March 3 against whatever Simpson College is and they don't play a D1 team at home until game 15 vs Illinois-Chicago on March 12. That's tough for fans to really get involved with and excited about.

25 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yeah it's tough up there. I looked up Iowa's schedule and they play their first 10 games on the road and don't have a home game until March 3 against whatever Simpson College is and they don't play a D1 team at home until game 15 vs Illinois-Chicago on March 12. That's tough for fans to really get involved with and excited about.

There are a lot of struggles with it.  It's a very distant third to football and basketball in terms of popularity.  In part because of high school ball being played during summer, IMO.  During a certain era, farm kids didn't get to play baseball because they were expected to work when they weren't in school.  That's a big reason I never cared - I had to work and didn't get to play.  This lead to a pretty sporadic baseball culture throughout the state (its worshiped in a couple communities and a complete after thought everywhere else).

Iowa had a decent run a couple years ago, and people kinda got into it, but they aren't well attended typically, and we weren't either.  College baseball is a niche sport, and it wasn't even really a niche here.  Pro baseball has a reasonable following here (Cubs are #1 with a bullet - Des Moines has their AAA affiliate, and there are Twins, Cards, and Royals contingents), but high school and college just aren't a big deal, and I don't see that changing.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

2 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

On the plus side, your negativity would be well founded if you brought back baseball.

My negatively will always be well-founded.  The history of ISU athletics could be written into a Greek tragedy.  Recent relative success can't undo that foundation of pain.

But in baseball it would at least be accurate to this moment in time.

58 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

There are a lot of struggles with it.  It's a very distant third to football and basketball in terms of popularity.  In part because of high school ball being played during summer, IMO.  During a certain era, farm kids didn't get to play baseball because they were expected to work when they weren't in school.  That's a big reason I never cared - I had to work and didn't get to play.  This lead to a pretty sporadic baseball culture throughout the state (its worshiped in a couple communities and a complete after thought everywhere else).

Iowa had a decent run a couple years ago, and people kinda got into it, but they aren't well attended typically, and we weren't either.  College baseball is a niche sport, and it wasn't even really a niche here.  Pro baseball has a reasonable following here (Cubs are #1 with a bullet - Des Moines has their AAA affiliate, and there are Twins, Cards, and Royals contingents), but high school and college just aren't a big deal, and I don't see that changing.

If Iowa can do it, y'all can do it. Look at the bright side, y'all only need 4 CWS appearances to catch aggy.

17 minutes ago, chase25 said:

If Iowa can do it, y'all can do it. Look at the bright side, y'all only need 4 CWS appearances to catch aggy.

Yeah.  There are plenty of schools at our latitude that play baseball - shit, Minnesota does it.

Iowa isn't making money off of it, however.  And at this point we won't reinstate it unless it makes money, or some donor makes it fiscally feasible.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yeah.  There are plenty of schools at our latitude that play baseball - shit, Minnesota does it.

Iowa isn't making money off of it, however.  And at this point we won't reinstate it unless it makes money, or some donor makes it fiscally feasible.

Saying you don't make money puts you in the same boat of almost every school that plays baseball. I'm not even sure if Texas makes money off of it, pretty sure Texas loses money on baseball, only a handful from the SEC make money with LSU leading the way that is about it.

1 hour ago, chase25 said:

Saying you don't make money puts you in the same boat of almost every school that plays baseball. I'm not even sure if Texas makes money off of it, pretty sure Texas loses money on baseball, only a handful from the SEC make money with LSU leading the way that is about it.

Texas baseball made a $1.6M profit in 2018.

23 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Where did you find that? All I could find was 2017 and we were at a deficit that year. Either way not many make a profit

As a huge College Baseball guy it pains me to admit it but yeah it is largely a "dear lord I hope we miraculously break even" sport than a revenue one. But hey most sports cannot even claim that.

But remember we hosted the Regionals and the Super Regional last year. That might have helped our income.

Edited by Valmy77

I am not Machinator,  but from the CDC thread,  Football Forum.

As in previous years, Texas football ($103.5 million), men’s basketball ($7 million) and baseball ($1.5 million) are the only profitable sports on campus. The lion’s share of the profit generated from football pays for UT’s other 17 varsity sports

https://www.hookem.com/story/texas-athletics-smashes-record-generating-219-4-million-2017-18/

Edited by torre

8 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I know most schools don’t make money on baseball.  I’m just saying stand alone financial viability is the only thing that could sway our AD into bringing it back.

This especially with Title IX. 

I do find it odd that Iowa State and Wisconsin are the only two schools in the B1G/B12 that don't have baseball teams. 

12 hours ago, torre said:

I am not Machinator,  but from the CDC thread,  Football Forum.

As in previous years, Texas football ($103.5 million), men’s basketball ($7 million) and baseball ($1.5 million) are the only profitable sports on campus. The lion’s share of the profit generated from football pays for UT’s other 17 varsity sports

https://www.hookem.com/story/texas-athletics-smashes-record-generating-219-4-million-2017-18/

This is my source, thank you (and I stand slightly corrected on the figure).

Friday-Monday (2/15-2/18):

Oregon @ Texas Tech

Kansas @ South Carolina Upstate

Kansas State @ CSUN

Friday-Sunday (2/15-2/17):

Cal Poly @ Oklahoma

Texas @ UL-Lafayette

Holy Cross @ Baylor

Oklahoma State @ UTRGV

Atlanta Challenge:

West Virginia (vs Kennesaw State, vs Georgia State, vs Georgia Tech)

MLB4 Tournament:

TCU (vs Cal State Fullerton, vs Virginia, vs Vanderbilt)

Edited by Horny Bull

28 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

This especially with Title IX. 

I do find it odd that Iowa State and Wisconsin are the only two schools in the B1G/B12 that don't have baseball teams. 

I think at the time it happened it was probably a very short term pragmatic decision.  

The Big 12 wasn’t making as much money, and we weren’t drawing anywhere near the football crowds we do today.  Throw Title IX into the mix, a general lack of interest in the program, and the fact that the state of Iowa puts zero subsidies into ISU/UI athletics, and our AD at the time (who was a fucking disaster - he would later be fired by Louisiana Tech for declining a bowl bid in hopes of a better one and ended up snubbed) saw it as a way to cut costs without violating Title IX and pissing off donors who were basketball first, football second, wrestling third.

Baylor has to have one of the worst noncon schedules I've ever seen. 

Holy Cross (4 games)

Cornell (3 games)

Minute Maid Games (A&M, Rice, Tx St)

Nebraska (3 games)

Cal Poly (3 games)

There are a couple midweek games against DBU and SHSU, but overall that's terrible for team starting the year at #15.