Ford vs. Ferrari

Duval Street

Matt Damon will portray Carroll Shelby in a new movie which is set to focus on the sportscar battles between Ferrari and Ford in the 1960s, while Christian Bale is to portray GT40 test driver Ken Miles.

Not much to be found on the web considering the release is slated for June 28.  Huge fan of Shelby and the cars he developed in the '60's, and born way too late to witness that great decade of racing.  Looking forward to seeing this rivalry on the big screen.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1950186/

https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/news/damon-bale-to-star-in-ford-vs-ferrari-movie-1046837/3125427/

Definitely been looking forward to this for a while. Bale as Enzo in the other film would've been something. My boy and I met Jim Hall out at COTA displaying his Chaparral. It was surprising how little attention he got from the fans out there given the way he & his car changed racing. He had some cool stories from when he was partnered up with Shelby. Great guy.

Edited by wood

I really hope they get into a l;ittle detail about the Henry Ford vs Enzo Ferrari spat that prompted the whole push to beat Ferrari at Le Mans. That's almost as good of a story as the actual racing development & Le Mans racing stuff.

20 hours ago, wood said:

I really hope they get into a l;ittle detail about the Henry Ford vs Enzo Ferrari spat that prompted the whole push to beat Ferrari at Le Mans. That's almost as good of a story as the actual racing development & Le Mans racing stuff.

Both are "characters" in the film... (and Tracy Letts is playing Henry Ford II)... so seems like they might.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BlueGreySky said:

The doc was really great, for anyone considering watching it. 

Checked it out tonight, really well done and highly recommended.  I’ve enjoyed some books on Shelby’s history but wasn’t familiar with Enzo’s start in racing, or his family’s WW2 losses.  I know some of Carroll’s beef with Enzo was his lack of concern for his drivers, impressed that Pietro pretty much confirmed that.

11 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Shelby was my Grandfather's best pal and racing partner/mechanic in the 50's. Unfortunately my grandfather died long before I was ever born, but my Grandmother had some crazy stories about the shenanigans they would get into. I'd post more details bu I dont want to dox myself. 

MIA, I hope you’re recording your Grandmother’s stories, I can’t imagine what these guys lives were like in that profession in the ‘50s.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Love this movie, have watched it four times on HBO.  Bale is superb, his accent is fantastic.  I just like the general atmosphere of all the scenes.  The night scene in the hanger where solo Bale quietly listens to the race while tooling around on various cars, gently analyzing what's going on with the cars is mesmerizing.  And the sunset scene with Bale and his kid at the airport, telling him about the perfect lap.  The raining night scene at Le Mans.  And who doesn't ask their wife for a fizzy pop after a fight?

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 12:31 AM, Wade said:

Love this movie, have watched it four times on HBO.  Bale is superb, his accent is fantastic.  I just like the general atmosphere of all the scenes.  The night scene in the hanger where solo Bale quietly listens to the race while tooling around on various cars, gently analyzing what's going on with the cars is mesmerizing.  And the sunset scene with Bale and his kid at the airport, telling him about the perfect lap.  The raining night scene at Le Mans.  And who doesn't ask their wife for a fizzy pop after a fight?

Accent?

hXc6oyU.gif

Great flick. I watched it last week for the first time with my son. Thought it was terrific.

5 hours ago, DougO said:

I watched this movie last night. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I don't know how much of it was bullshit. The final race result and underlying cause seems a bit of a reach.

He really did lose on some bullshit tie results rules just for a photo op. There are some pretty good documentaries out there. But yes, I'm sure a lot of the details of the movie are Hollywood-ized.

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

Accent?

hXc6oyU.gif

Great flick. I watched it last week for the first time with my son. Thought it was terrific.

Pic didn't come through, but I am curious if he is aware that Christian Bale is, in fact, British.  I guess you can lose sight of that.